Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? (19266 Views)

Ten Ways To Marry The Wrong Person / Skinny, Hourglass, Curvy Or Phat Ladies! Which Do Nigerians Prefer? (with Pics) / [poll] Would You Prefer to Marry a Virgin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by luvablesam(m): 9:57am On Dec 22, 2012
I called up a friend recently to tell him I was getting married, guess what he did.
He SCREAMED n then asked me who I was getting married to as follows;

HE: Who are her Parents, are they rich?
Me: Why are you asking?,
HIM: Just want to know cos if they aren't then you have messed up big time, seriously guy you no try .

I was shocked, though that's the harsh reality these days, no or very few guys want to marry girls from humble backgrounds.

Same goes for ladies too, if theirs even isn't more pronounced. Like a friend once said 'perceived ugly girls get married every weekend while the ones that think themselves beautiful buy "Aso ebi or anko" to attend such occasions hoping to meet Dangote's sons.

My question now is that what is happening to our value system, what's your take on everyone targeting the rich for marriage and who marries the average or seemingly poor?

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by hrmkz: 10:07am On Dec 22, 2012
The rich also cry!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Exponental(m): 11:07am On Dec 22, 2012
Is marriage meant 2 be dependent on parents wealth? Marry 4 money n deny urself d happiness of marriage!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 11:14am On Dec 22, 2012
People A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ now having a myopic views about marriage, vision aπϑ money. Nowadays τ̲̅ђe women folks no longer believe i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ their creative ability of being able to fend for themselves but rather they see themselves as a parasite, waiting for somebody to take them to walt Disney without them doing anything to contribute to τ̲̅ђe journey. Anyhow na society cause am sha.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 22, 2012
who no like good thing?.nobody wants to suffer i guess

well, i aint bothered about them cos when menopause catches up with them, they will troop to yaba left to get married to available mad men for free

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 11:19am On Dec 22, 2012
I'm from a very humble background or should I say poor? Yea poor sounds like it, "humble" just makes it bearable, Lol, ok. But rich guys keep coming for me, and no one has ever cared about my family's financial/social status. In fact, that's the first thing I tell them, I'm always like "dear, don't let my looks deceive you, I'm from a very humble background o." I'm Vivian, and that should be enough!
So contrary to your opinion, majority of guys don't actually care.

A lot of ladies who have misplaced their priorities actually care about how rich a guy is before they consider him and I just pity them. I just hope they realize that the life of a man is a mystery. A man's life can change in a twinkle of an eye.

I'm friends with a lot of people who at one time couldn't even afford a decent meal, but just one phone call changed their lives for best, and vice versa.

Last year, I did a job for this couple that had no house. The groom is my friend and as at then the most valuable property he had was his laptop. In fact, when he told me he was getting married I was like "are u crazy?" Cos he didn't even have a house. Few weeks to the wedding someone gave them a room in his flat and they were squatting there. Whenever I went to the house to discuss their wedding I was always like "how could this girl get married to a man that doesn't have a house?" Honestly, I couldn't understand, I couldn't even think of myself doing it. Well, their marriage is a year old and they are now living in one of the beautifully furnished houses I have ever seen.

Stories like this humble me, and I of all the things I have seen in my few years on earth, I have known that riches cannot be guaranteed. I have also known that life is a mystery.

So if you fall in love with someone from a rich background good, if you fall in love with someone from a humble background good too. Marrying a rich person is not a crime, marrying a poor person is not a crime either, provided that LOVE is the driving force.

136 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by blazingtrain: 11:40am On Dec 22, 2012
These assertions aren't true, some people still marry for love.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by phineas: 1:28pm On Dec 22, 2012
vivian chinaza: I'm from a very humble background or should I say poor? Yea poor sounds like it, "humble" just makes it bearable, Lol, ok. But rich guys keep coming for me, and no one has ever cared about my family's financial/social status. In fact, that's the first thing I tell them, I'm always like "dear, don't let my looks deceive you, I'm from a very humble background o." I'm Vivian, and that should be enough!

A lot of ladies who have misplaced their priorities actually care about how rich a guy is before they consider him and I just pity them. I just hope they realize that the life of a man is a mystery. A man's life can change in a twinkle of an eye.

I'm friends with a lot of people who at one time couldn't even afford a decent meal, but just one phone call changed their lives for best, and vice versa.

100 likes for this,simply beautiful.
Last year, I did a job for this couple that had no house. The groom is my friend and as at then the most valuable property he had was his laptop. In fact, when he told me he was getting married I was like "are u crazy?" Cos he didn't even have a house. Few weeks to the wedding someone gave them a room in his flat and they were squatting there. Whenever I went to the house to discuss their wedding I was always like "how could this girl get married to a man that doesn't have a house?" Honestly, I couldn't understand, I couldn't even think of myself doing it. Well, there marriage is a year old and they are now living in one of the beautifully furnished house I have ever seen.

Stories like this humble me, and I of all the things I have seen in my few years on earth, I have known that riches cannot be guaranteed. I have also known that life is a mystery.

So if you fall in love with someone from a rich background good, if you fall in love with someone from a humble background good too. Marrying a rich person is not a crime, marrying a poor person is not a crime either, provided that LOVE is the driving force.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by phineas: 1:36pm On Dec 22, 2012
vivian love your post,100+ likes

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Koolking(m): 2:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
vivian chinaza: I'm from a very humble background or should I say poor? Yea poor sounds like it, "humble" just makes it bearable, Lol, ok. But rich guys keep coming for me, and no one has ever cared about my family's financial/social status. In fact, that's the first thing I tell them, I'm always like "dear, don't let my looks deceive you, I'm from a very humble background o." I'm Vivian, and that should be enough!

Last year, I did a job for this couple that had no house. The groom is my friend and as at then the most valuable property he had was his laptop. In fact, when he told me he was getting married I was like "are u crazy?" Cos he didn't even have a house. Few weeks to the wedding someone gave them a room in his flat and they were squatting there. Whenever I went to the house to discuss their wedding I was always like "how could this girl get married to a man that doesn't have a house?" Honestly, I couldn't understand, I couldn't even think of myself doing it. Well, there marriage is a year old and they are now living in one of the beautifully furnished house I have ever seen.

+100
This is intellectually overwhelming, especially coming from a lady (Nigerian). I thought, we have all lost it, our believe, personal believe driven by desire for innate and uncompromising happiness not for today but for tomorrow. Come to think of it, the mainstream of most marriages now is built on 'all that glitter is golden', but at the end you find out that 'not all that glitters are gold', hence broken and battered unions and homes.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by luvablesam(m): 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
blazingtrain: These assertions aren't true, some people still marry for love.
dats a rare occurence nowadays

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 4:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
@vivian
I like ur post. But we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ not saying that all women from nigeria use money as a yard stick. But ђã†̥ i am saying is that, most women i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ nigeria nowadays A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ ready to sacrifice their happiness on τ̲̅ђe alter of money. Consider some scenarios. A lady dates a guy, who uses her body as his punching bag aπϑ all she say is that i love him with time i will change him when we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ married. A lady dating a guy that has money aπϑ yet she knows he womanise a lot aπϑ all she says is D̶̲̥̅̊☺̣̣̥̇ŋ't worry when we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ married i will change him. Many ladies A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ no longer bothered about W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ τ̲̅ђe money comes from. Most ladies can now a date a boy who is i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ his early twenties, that has money yet, he has not finished his education aπϑ he is not from a wealthy family. But all τ̲̅ђe lady will tell Ɣøû is that he is a sharp guy. Some can even date a ritualist, armed robber, kidnapper to them it doesn't matter. All that matters is that τ̲̅ђe money is there. aπϑ τ̲̅ђe most annoying thing is that if Ɣøû have vision aπϑ Ɣøû A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ still struggling to meet up with your targeted goals they keep complain.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 4:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by luvablesam(m): 4:54pm On Dec 22, 2012

my respect for u just grew by a mile but do u knw it has now become llke a job for people to 'RichHunt' nowadays?(I.e)look for rich suitors?......don't be shocked,yeah they do...the thing is sad n shocking
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 7:04pm On Dec 22, 2012
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by tpia5: 8:43pm On Dec 22, 2012
i assume the "females" who make it a point of duty to show up in religion section regularly in order to curse their forefathers, will be wooed and married by the atheists, satanists and/or muslims there?

just asking, hope they're not believing God for a godfearing SO because stranger things do happen.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 11:41pm On Dec 22, 2012
adim2: @vivian
I like ur post. But we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ not saying that all women from nigeria use money as a yard stick. But ђã†̥ i am saying is that, most women i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ nigeria nowadays A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ ready to sacrifice their happiness on τ̲̅ђe alter of money. Consider some scenarios. A lady dates a guy, who uses her body as his punching bag aπϑ all she say is that i love him with time i will change him when we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ married. A lady dating a guy that has money aπϑ yet she knows he womanise a lot aπϑ all she says is D̶̲̥̅̊☺̣̣̥̇ŋ't worry when we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ married i will change him. Many ladies A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ no longer bothered about W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ τ̲̅ђe money comes from. Most ladies can now a date a boy who is i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ his early twenties, that has money yet, he has not finished his education aπϑ he is not from a wealthy family. But all τ̲̅ђe lady will tell Ɣøû is that he is a sharp guy. Some can even date a ritualist, armed robber, kidnapper to them it doesn't matter. All that matters is that τ̲̅ђe money is there. aπϑ τ̲̅ђe most annoying thing is that if Ɣøû have vision aπϑ Ɣøû A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ still struggling to meet up with your targeted goals they keep complain.

Yea, you are absolutely right. That is why you should see to it that your girl child/children is/are given a solid foundation morally. I usually tell people that a lady's personality is 80% dependent on the kind of family she was raised in. We all have our roots!
The earlier parents start teaching their children, especially their girls that there is no short cut to life the better for all of us! You want good life huh? Then you must work for it! Things get tough? Sit your azz down and deal with it! Above all, teach them to be contented with what they have, and the only way you can achieve this is leading by example.

So yea, it a huge problem but talking alone can't fix it!

There are good girls out there, they might not be saints but they are good, they understand how life works, they understand the difference between realities and fantasies/fairy tales. I pray you encounter one.

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Koolking(m): 12:49am On Dec 23, 2012
vivian chinaza:

There are good girls out there, they might not be saints but they are good, they understand how life works, they understand the difference between realities and fantasies/fairy tales. I pray you encounter one.

I like what u wrote. If those opinions are true reflection of who you are, you have my unrefined respect. You are one of the most beautiful ones the world was expecting. Hold on to your believe, the sky will not be your limit but ur starting point. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Koolking(m): 12:50am On Dec 23, 2012
vivian chinaza:
Yea, you are absolutely right. That is why you should see to it that your girl child/children is/are given a solid foundation morally. I usually tell people that a lady's personality is 80% dependent on the kind of family she was raised.
+1000
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by 190theclown: 3:20pm On Dec 23, 2012
smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by adim2(m): 10:26am On Dec 25, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Yea, you are absolutely right. That is why you should see to it that your girl child/children is/are given a solid foundation morally. I usually tell people that a lady's personality is 80% dependent on the kind of family she was raised in. We all have our roots!
The earlier parents start teaching their children, especially their girls that there is no short cut to life the better for all of us! You want good life huh? Then you must work for it! Things get tough? Sit your azz down and deal with it! Above all, teach them to be contented with what they have, and the only way you can achieve this is leading by example.

Thanks for your post. Every man wants a decent lady for a wife but one truth remains that, most of our ladies A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ now allowing τ̲̅ђeir peers to influence them. I am a moralist aπϑ i ßε̲̣lieve i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ good morals aπϑ i will try all M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ best to teach M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ children i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ τ̲̅ђe way they will grow. aπϑ please do τ̲̅ђe same cos our society has really decayed to τ̲̅ђe root
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2012
adim2:

Thanks for your post. Every man wants a decent lady for a wife but one truth remains that, most of our ladies A̶̲̥̅я̲̅é̸ now allowing τ̲̅ђeir peers to influence them. I am a moralist aπϑ i ßε̲̣lieve i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ good morals aπϑ i will try all M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ best to teach M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ children i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ τ̲̅ђe way they will grow. aπϑ please do τ̲̅ђe same cos our society has really decayed to τ̲̅ђe root

We have a deal then. *smiles* merry xmas.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 25, 2012
Sometimes I just think these men make themselves suffer, so u think those wealthy/stable families don't have high expectations which u will struggle to meet? The nice family gatherings and other social events...everyday some idi.ot is complaining about buying BIS and airtime, what makes u think u will be able to keep up wit what ur wife's family is used to angry so u think those wealthy families want u to bring ur rural mothers to their gatherings angry spoil everything for them and embarrass them in front of our pple in their social class

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 25, 2012
phineas: vivian love your post,100+ likes
Yeah she dey try. I like her post too. But the most annoying thing about marrying frm these poor background is that most of the time, the entire family tend to depend on u for a lot of things. And if care is not taken, they will run u down.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2012
luvable sam: my respect for u just grew by a mile but do u knw it has now become llke a job for people to 'RichHunt' nowadays?(I.e)look for rich suitors?......don't be shocked,yeah they do...the thing is sad n shocking
In most cases, the major problems marrying these poor ladies are their parents, especially their mothers. They specifically make the daughters understand that they shud not bring home a man who will not cater for the whole family. Damn! It is irritating.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 25, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Amen bro.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by chronique(m): 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2012

*calls on waitress* madam,give this babe 4 bottles of odeku,1 plate of cowtail,1 plate of isiewu,1 plate of assorted and 5 litres of fresh palmee. D babe don make sense here. Baby,dont worry abt havin running stomach;today is a good day. Eat and be merry cos you have spoken well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 12:51pm On Dec 25, 2012
chronique:

*calls on waitress* madam,give this babe 4 bottles of odeku,1 plate of cowtail,1 plate of isiewu,1 plate of assorted and 5 litres of fresh palmee. D babe don make sense here. Baby,dont worry abt havin running stomach;today is a good day. Eat and be merry cos you have spoken well.

Omg! Only me? Ok, I'm gonna do the cowtail, hmmm maybe odeku and skip the rest. Maybe chocolate? I love chocolates! Lol....

Thank you and merry xmas.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 12:52pm On Dec 25, 2012
tpacalipse: Amen bro.

Ok, I'm not a "bro!" I'm a lady.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by vivianc(f): 12:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
tpacalipse: Yeah she dey try. I like her post too. But the most annoying thing about marrying frm these poor background is that most of the time, the entire family tend to depend on u for a lot of things. And if care is not taken, they will run u down.

That's not true. A materialistic family will definitely run you down whether rich or poor. Just bear that in mind.

A materialistic mother will ALWAYS raise a materialistic daughter maka na ihe agwo muru ga etoriri ogologo. *you might need an interpreter for that." Merry xmas.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by lillyveezy: 3:53pm On Dec 25, 2012
[quote
author=vivian chinaza]

That's not true. A materialistic family will definitely run you down
whether rich or poor. Just bear that in mind.

A materialistic mother will ALWAYS raise a materialistic daughter maka
na ihe agwo muru ga etoriri ogologo. *you might need an interpreter for
that." Merry xmas.[/quote]

I dear to differ on materialistic mums raising materialistic daughter.
I have lived a situation where the daughters of a materialstic mum withstood their own mum for their younger sister's marriage.
Their mum was like the guy coming for her younger daughter does not measure up,but these older daughters of hers confronted & resisted all her demands.Today that guy is her in-law,thanks to her daughters.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 25, 2012

No need of writing epistles to buttress your standpoint. I can make poverty disappear from your lineage permanently.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerians Launch First Ever Full Blown Porn Company “freethinkers Production / Types Of Breast You Can Find In Nigeria (photo) / Reasons Why Nigerian Women Prefer Ghana Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.