Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,868 members, 7,806,470 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20608 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 6:58pm On Dec 25, 2012
eddy spice: Abel,cain and other did carry out sacrifice God but take note dat d ppl d isrealite met in d promise land also carry out saacrifces too but to dier false gods which God warn the isrealites againts and wen dey try to introduce such fasle worship God left dem. in essence orgin n manner of how a celebration is being can make God happy or sad

I don't see what origin has to with the post above. God left the Israelite not because origin of worship is pagan, but because they worshiped another God. simple. You are adding unnecessary complexity to a simple matter.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:03pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

I don't see what origin has to with the post above. God left the Israelite not because origin of worship is pagan, but because they worshiped another God. simple. You are adding unnecessary complexity to a simple matter.

You can worship another God by mixing other "practices" into what you were commanded to do, e.g making images when you're not expected to make one as commanded of God.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 7:05pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

That's the spirit of adding to the word of God, they can't agree as it was never Scriptural at the first place!

Thanks for contributing bro!

Disagreement in christiandom may not also mean the issue at hand is not God's will. Even among the apostles there was disagreement at some point. Wether it was observed in december or january does not matter. What matters is that Jesus is born.
eddy spice: thanks for ur point.many people seem to forget that december 25th pick by a pope as Jesus birthday was bitterly contested against by bishops of eastern Europe who decided to celebrate thiers on January 6th,a clear indication dat Jesus never commanded any one to celebrate his birth
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2012
Most biblical scholars and preachers readily admit that they know Christ was not born on December 25th. However, they claim that this day is as good as any other to celebrate the birth of Jesus, despite the fact that it was originally a pagan celebration called Saturnalia which commemorated the birth of the sun god.
God had this to say about appropriating pagan methods of worship and trying to honor Him with them:

DEUTERONOMY 12:28 "Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the LORD your God. 29 When the LORD your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.' 31 "You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way; for every abomination to the LORD which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. 32 Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it. (NKJV)

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Jesus-Birthday

5 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 7:09pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

Oga, stop dancing azonto round my question angry just answer yes or no then provide support that's all. So is my action a sin? simple yes or no dey hard again angry
bros according thess texts Romans 13:13 and Galatians5:21 highlights characters of those who participates such festivals so bros na sin o
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:11pm On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Have you gone through pagan9ja's link I dropped on this post.....go through it and see how xmas aint different from the sun god worshippers that started off what you have as xmas celebration.....

Don't let pagans set the pace in ways of worship bro........

You are still not saying anything. All i read is fraud, pagan and nothing else in your post. Let me help you out.
1. Christmas is pagan because it is a sin to celebrate the birth of Christ
2. Christmas is pagan because it was instituted by pagans (catholic church)
3. Christmas is pagan because it involves sinful activities like human sacrifice
4. Christmas is pagan because it celebrated by both pagans and Christians today

If you provide statement like the above, am sure we can end this discussion with just a page of brain storming. If you select item #1 for example will make items 2-4 totally irrelevant for discussion. So we have a focus kindly tell us in clear english why Christmas is pagan.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

Tell them ooo, Gentile Pope knows better than the Apostles of Christ...

Wether it was a pope that brought the idea or any pastor is not the issue here. What matters to us is that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:20pm On Dec 25, 2012
TroGunn:

There is something unchristian about adopting a pagan celebration.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness"?

To those who want to celebrate Christ, they were expressly instructed by Christ to celebrate his death.

Like 22:19 - "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me .""

This is what his apostles duly observed, Paul wrote

1 Corinthians 11:23- 27 - "For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me .” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes".

You have not answered the question. Kindly show where Christ stated that we should not celebrate his birthday. We know Christ said the Passover should be done in remembrance of him but did he say that's all we are required to do and any other act is a sin?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:23pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

You have not answered the question. Kindly show where Christ stated that we should not celebrate his birthday. We know Christ said the Passover should be done in remembrance of him but did he say that's all we are required to do and any other act is a sin?

This does not really sound "smart", it would have been better if you can show us if any of his disciples celebrated his birthdays during and after he died, we know and can read where they marked his death but non for his birth, isn't that clear enough that it was never what he instructed or told anyone to do?

Secondly, why December 25th the same day the pagan celebrates their own sun god and not his real birthday which some say is October?

3 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

You are still not saying anything. All i read is fraud, pagan and nothing else in your post. Let me help you out.
3. Christmas is pagan because it involves sinful activities like human sacrifice

If you provide statement like the above, am sure we can end this discussion with just a page of brain storming. If you select item #1 for example will make items 2-4 totally irrelevant for discussion. So we have a focus kindly tell us in clear english why Christmas is pagan.

Christmas is pagan because everything about it was gotten from idol worshiPpers a.k.a pagans....is this answer not clear enough for you??.........

You can also ask yourself this question to help you with an answer to your question...

Would Jesus and the apostles do christmas??........YES or NO.....

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:
How did you get your xmas now??...if them be no snatch pagan holiday you for dey do xmas today??........xmas was snatched.........return what is pagan to the pagans.....

If pagans were not celebrating xmas,how can you say xmas was snatched? xmas was instituted by the church and it could have been any date. From wiki, i read some churches celebrate their xmas on some other dates, so what is this talk about snatching? you don't snatch what already belong to you.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

i will pick #2 because it was instituted by them in order to allow non belivers bcome christian withoutt removing pagan traces from d festival.hence thier becoming christian was base not on God's love

5 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:27pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

Wether it was a pope that brought the idea or any pastor is not the issue here. What matters to us is that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus.

And for your info is non of Jesus' business.......Jesus has no dealings with you celebrating his birthday........you are on your own........presumptuousness at its peak.....

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

Oga, stop dancing azonto round my question angry just answer yes or no then provide support that's all. So is my action a sin? simple yes or no dey hard again angry

Na for my mouth you wan hear say yansh dey for back??.....zikky take time o......grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
truthislight:

you are part of an idolatrouse worship.

I am not the one sentencing people.

God does and rewards obedience.

You already sentenced me by saying am part of an idolatrous worship. If you cannot answer the question, then you have no basis/justification condemning the celebration of Christ birth. simple.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

And who told you it was birthday they celebrated? was Christ yet 1yr old when they visited him?

didnt you see the records of birthday events both in the OT and NT? are you saying God forgot to include Christ own? and how many yrs old are you celebrating today?

They celebrated the birth of Christ which is simply what we are doing.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:32pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

honeric01:

This does not really sound "smart", it would have been better if you can show us if any of his disciples celebrated his birthdays during and after he died, we know and can read where they marked his death but non for his birth, isn't that clear enough that it was never what he instructed or told anyone to do?

Secondly, why December 25th the same day the pagan celebrates their own sun god and not his real birthday which some say is October?

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:34pm On Dec 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

You already sentenced me by saying am part of an idolatrous worship. If you cannot answer the question, then you have no basis/justification condemning the celebration of Christ birth. simple.

We can't actually condemn you na...na the celebration we dey condemn....we are only telling you bro zikky to keep off xmas if u really wanna follow Jesus' foot steps closely...that's all......

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

And for your info is non of Jesus' business.......Jesus has no dealings with you celebrating his birthday........you are on your own........presumptuousness at its peak.....

Thats you opinion and it doesnt hold water. You are not Jesus. You cant also claim be close to Jesus or understand the bible more than any of us.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

My broda, believe it or not, when you came into this world, u came with an instruction manual (the Bible)! God’s expressed will and purpose is written througout its pages.
Just like when you purchesed a new phone, it has a guide manuel which you follow to operate ur telephone so you don't end up spoiling it.
Every word of scripture is God’s message to u who you are, what you are, why He created you, and how He expects you to conduct your life.
Everything you need to know about the true purpose of life is written in God’s Word:

(John 17: 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.)( Matt. 4:4; II Tim. 3:16-17)

When u read the Scripture, God is talking to you! He shows u how to live a happy, fulfilling, abundant life without borrowing from men traditions.
Now i invite you to pick up your “instruction manual” and examine what God says about birthdays.

Birthdays in the Bible

Birthday celebrations are mentioned in the Bible on two or three separate occasions and, in each case, something terrible occurred. I'm sure you did skiped this, i will recontruct it for you to see it clearly. These three accounts bear brief examination.
First ACC is in Genesis. The Egyptian king Pharaoh, celebrated his birthday by executing his chief baker (Gen. 40:1-23).
Note: This was during his birthday party, according to the interpretation God gave to Joseph. As the dream had foretold, the baker was hung at the party.

Second ACC is from the NT, Herod the tetrarch reluctantly ordered the beheading of John the Baptist (Matt. 14:3-11) make sure you notice verse 6: “But when Herod’s birthday was kept…” During the dancing and merry making at his "birthday party", Herod got carried away and eventualy made a promise that he did not want to keep.
As a result, a great servant of God lost his life. (John the Baptist).

I think there is a similar account in the book of Job, these parties were obviously not centered around any kind of celebration related to God, or Job would not have worried that his children may ve sinned during these celebration feasts. He was not exactly sure what was going on in their minds, but the very celebration of their birthdays triggered great concern in him (see verse:5). Apparently, during the birthday party, God allowed Satan to kill all 10 of Job’s childre through what appears to be a tornado (vs. 6-13, 18-19).

Job 1:4 The Bible says that Job’s seven sons “went and feasted in their houses, "every one his day"; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them”

If you read forther in Job chapter 3 you will see a proof that these birthday celebrations displeased God. Because Job spend time cursing every aspect of the day of his birth.
Job words make plain and clear that there is nothing good about the day of a man’s birth.

Conclusion to your Question above, You cannot invent what is not writen in the bible to be a pratcise for God, Scripture has enough for us to follow.

It is true that the above scriptures do not contain a direct condemnation of birthdays stating: “Thou shalt not…” or something similar.
But consider for a moment the central lesson of each of these ACCs.
They represent the only three birthday parties described in the entire Bible. "Absolute disaster" occurred on each occasion!

Now my question for you, if God felt birthday celebrations were something positive and good, why wouldn’t God record one other account where something either good or positive happened? I bet you, there is no such account in the entire Scripture.

plappville:
Conclusion to your Question above, You cannot invent what is not writen in the bible to be a pratcise for God, Scripture has enough for us to follow.

Na wa oh sad you just write this long tory and refused to provide an answer. so this question hard like this sad all of una just dey dance azonto round the question. please answer the question and lets move forward angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:47pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

Thats you opinion and it doesnt hold water. You are not Jesus. You cant also claim be close to Jesus or understand the bible more than any of us.

I'm not claiming I understand d scriptures more than y'all do......I'm only pointing out what the scriptures never supports......we can't close eyes and think its right to celebrate paganism........

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:48pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

Tell me you did not learn any lesson from these accounts? They taught us some lessons, it is left for individual to accept the message of these Accounts.

Not the kind of lesson you learnt. Did it ever occur to you that in the first account you gave, not only was a live lost another live was saved by that birthday bash. What do you have to say about that?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:00pm On Dec 25, 2012
truthislight:

the issue is that true servant of God Yahweh did not celebrate birthdays.

Pegans have the example of celebrating birthdays.

Whose example are you following here?

I do not live by examples. I live by Christ and the apostles teachings (and the commandment). If you live by examples and you are not up to 33 years of age, ensure you find a way of getting yourself nailed to a cross when you are 33. If you are above 33yrs, then stop telling us you follow example.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by truthislight: 8:25pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

We do celebrates His death in the church i attend, every last sunday of the month, breaking of bread eat together after service.
But they also celebrate Christmas, giving thesame reason as our NL brothers... grin grin

What kind of anniversary be this one na(monthly ke?)

does Nissan 14, the day of christ death/comomeration comes twice in a year?

Sis, shine your eyes oh!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

Disagreement in christiandom may not also mean the issue at hand is not God's will. Even among the apostles there was disagreement at some point. Wether it was observed in december or january does not matter. What matters is that Jesus is born.

How have you proved its Gods will? Now i am going to treat that chapter you have been twisting here. Let take a closer look at (Matthew 2:1, 11)

Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

You common interpretaion supposed these were birthday presents for “baby Jesus.” But is this what the Bible actually says? Of course NO!
They arrived well after His “birthday/date of his birth.”? Notice that it refers to Christ as a “young child” rather than a baby.

This is one more reason that the gifts brought to Him could not have been “birthday presents.”
A long standing, ancient custom of the East was to present gifts when one came into the presence of a king
The 3 wise men understood they were in the presence of the “King of the Jews.” The Bible has many examples of people
sending gifts to kings or presenting them upon arrival into the king’s presence. Jesus got gifts from them because
He was born "King" according to custom not because of "Birthday" that has no custom in the Bible. I have posted several
biblical prove that shows a mans birthday worth nothing as you guys take it today. If there Scriptures are ignored, then needless to argue for arguing sake.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 8:44pm On Dec 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Christmas is pagan because everything about it was gotten from idol worshiPpers a.k.a pagans....is this answer not clear enough for you??.........

You can also ask yourself this question to help you with an answer to your question...

Would Jesus and the apostles do christmas??........YES or NO.....

And you were the person that told me if Jesus was around now he will wear suit and trouser. What makes you think he will not allow us to celebrate him if he was here?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:45pm On Dec 25, 2012
honeric01: Most biblical scholars and preachers readily admit that they know Christ was not born on December 25th. However, they claim that this day is as good as any other to celebrate the birth of Jesus, despite the fact that it was originally a pagan celebration called Saturnalia which commemorated the birth of the sun god.
God had this to say about appropriating pagan methods of worship and trying to honor Him with them:

[size=16pt]DEUTERONOMY 12:28 "Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the LORD your God. 29 When the LORD your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.' 31 "You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way; for every abomination to the LORD which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. 32 Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it. [/size](NKJV)

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Jesus-Birthday

WAOOHH.....DID THEY SEE THIS ??
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:51pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

Then the Scripture does not matters to you but mens tradition....No wonder Jesus warned about misguided professing Christians, saying,:

“This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. Howbeit in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men” (Mark 7:6-cool.

Every year, be Christmas or Easter seasons, Jesus’ warning is proven right! READ YOURSELF BROS...Shaking my head oooo!!
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

And you were the person that told me if Jesus was around now he will wear suit and trouser. What makes you think he will not allow us to celebrate him if he was here?

Hmmmm.....it is 100 percent affirmative that Jesus would wear clothes(trouser suit and tie or even agbada) in our time,but also 100 percent affirmative that he would never get close to christmas celebration.....and I suppose you know why.....Jesus isn't a SUN god worshipper so he would stay far away from xmas celebration......

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:55pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:
Have ever asked yourself if this Pope was truelly instructed by God to change this pagan feast to Christ"s?, and why should God give such instruction outside the Scripture?

Did anybody say that christmas is in the bible? who told you it was an instruction from God?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
plappville:

Enjoy your YULE feast recipes alone bro...i no won feel you here @ all.... grin grin

sad sad
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by plappville(f): 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2012
alexleo:

I have nothing else to do with someone who has blocked his mind to the truth. You have igrored Scriptures just to hold on to Pagan Feast.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

8 Great Lessons From 8 Great Men Of God. / The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First / What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.