Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,598 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? (20598 Views)

TEN QUESTIONS That Christians Can Never Answer / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..? / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 1:16am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

Oga truthislight, why do you keep repeating what we already know.Just answer the simple question, and lets close this case.

You still wan know wether to do xmas na sin??.........grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:21am On Dec 26, 2012
plappville:
@Zikkyy, if you think the Pope just woke up one day and said...."YES" as from today Jesus Birthday will be celebrated on 25th december, then you lie!

But i no talk so na sad why you say i lie sad Lol! grin

plappville:
If you know How far he went before this date was accepted by others of His brethren, you will not be looking for just say "YES OR NO" answer here.

You dey there? how you take know grin were you a member of the council?

plappville:
Scripture has to be qouted when discussing Christ. Its not how you wants it, but How God already penned it down. None can change it even if they tempered.

If God already penned it down you should be able to say yes or no na.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 1:21am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

In your thoughts that is.

You have not told me what is pagan practice and what is Christian practice.

hmmm, here i was thinking cocaine or its derivatives have been used by medical professionals for treatment. your problem is you have not been reading. Did i at anytime state that Christmas and it's associated activities is okay because it was not expressly condemned in the bible?

Let me address the cocaine issue only - I wasn't referring to the medical usage but "abused" use.

Your repeatedly asking where "Christ stated that we should not celebrate his birthday" implied it had to be expressly stated in the Bible to be taken as "proof", hence my cocaine analogy. Or maybe I read that wrong.

On the other point about pagan practices done within Christmas- the practices (Christmas tree, Santa, Dec 25, etc), images and their pagan origins have already been highlighted from page 1.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:23am On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:
Lol.....zikky I've always known you to be a sincere person........with all the facts presented I believe you should be able to answer the question you asked me..............you wan put me for tight corner I think??.........grin

Before nko? grin you people wan play me wayo for here. abeg answer the question jor angry
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 1:29am On Dec 26, 2012
TroGunn:
We have all the details of God's instructions necessary for one to worship God acceptably in the Bible as is.

My thoughts exactly! how come my peeps keeps avoiding my questions undecided

TroGunn:
Christ's command to celebrate his death is enough to remember him and the enormous love he has for humans.

This is your personal opinion.

TroGunn:
No additions, especially from pagan sources, are required.

I agree we don't need additions from pagan sources.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:23am On Dec 26, 2012
honeric01:
Santa claus, the flying elf, (what do they stand for? who are they? who's santa claus?) gifts from the north-pole (where is this north pole? what does these gifts represents? what is the symbolic/spiritual implication of these annual gifts brought from the "north-pole"? who's residing at this north-pole? maybe one of the fallen angels or the sun god who is likely to be satan himself or his right-hand angel?

Noth pole ke shocked and i thought those gifts were from the nearest walmart store grin Satan chilling in the North pole? This is serious stuff. But also know that the product you use on a daily basis must have been produced at the North pole as well so you are not immune. Consider those stuff on sales/discount, there could be Christmas leftovers from stuff manufactured by satan in the North pole.

honeric01:
We are discussing Christianity here where most of what you're suppose to do/act/say must represent Christ in all manner, Jesus's presence on earth was to abolish any similarities to the things of the world that is found in worshiping God, he came to show us the way, a way where we don't have to partake in the doctrines of men/traditions of men in order to deceive ourselves into thinking these doctrines are what draws us closer to God, rather the more we do them, the farther God's to us.

I agree with the first part, but i am not sure i completely agree with the second part. True we should not think that it is these doctrines that draw us closer to God. Maybe it helps for some people i don't know so am not going to comment on it. What i don't agree with is for you to say it takes you farther away from God, you don't have a basis for such statement. It's just your personal opinion.

honeric01:
The more popular these festival has been, the worse the world is becoming, do you actually think Christmas is drawing anyone closer to God? look around you, more atrocities are committed during this festival and this is actually what the devil derive joy in.

My brother leave matter. is there any thing drawing people to God these days? Its not just Christmas, atrocities are committed even when churches hold their convention and congress, a lot of things happen during night vigil self. With more and more people in church is society any better? This is not just a Christmas thing. Do we then scrap Christianity? tell me.

honeric01:
Jesus never came to make anyone enjoy or party till dawn, he came to make the world hate those who choose to follow him, his disciples were never loved/fancied/liked by the world because they were always salient and was VISIBLY known to act/speak/do things different from the world.

What are you saying here. That Christians should not live the good life? they should live like apostle paul? probably squatting without accommodation. Are you saying Christians should not hustle?

honeric01:
Lastly, yes it makes it pagan, whatever draws people away from God is of the devil, whatever makes people fall by the wayside is of the devil, whatever makes people slip into sin is of the devil, this is why we must flee away from any appearance of sin which is of the devil. Christmas favors the devil and his host than any body else because during these period, his kingdom grows bigger. (Because it's colored to look like a "christianed thing does not make it christian"wink

Are you sure you read my post very well? These were my questions:
1. can we say the giving of gift (at any other time in the year) is a pagan act?
2. can we say decorating my house with plants/flowers (at any other time of the year) is a pagan act?
3. Can we say the burnt offering to God using farm animals is a pagan act, because the pagans also used farm animals for their burnt offerings?
4. can we the passover in remembrance of Christ is a pagan act because peeps were getting drunk at such events?
5. Can we say go to church is pagan because some other peeps go there with un-holy motives?

Which part of my question are you responding to?

honeric01:
[b]Unless you can show me where the early Christians were seen celebrating it, it's nothing but a paganic culture.

I am not the one to show you. I never claimed it was there. You are the one condemning the act. it your responsibility to show why Christians should not be celebrating Christ.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:32am On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Christmas is pagan because everything about it was gotten from idol worshiPpers a.k.a pagans....is this answer not clear enough for you??.........

You can also ask yourself this question to help you with an answer to your question...

Would Jesus and the apostles do christmas??........YES or NO.....

Thanks. I can conclude from your post above that celebrating Christ is not a sin. You are just not happy that the pagans beat you to it grin Meaning if it was started by Christians and done my way, there will be no problem. I can live with that.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 2:36am On Dec 26, 2012
eddy spice: i will pick #2 because it was instituted by them in order to allow non belivers bcome christian withoutt removing pagan traces from d festival.hence thier becoming christian was base not on God's love

You chose #2 meaning you don't have issues with the concept of celebrating Christ birthday. I can see your issue has to do with implementation which i very much agree with. Thanks
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:00am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

Thanks. I can conclude from your post above that celebrating Christ is not a sin. You are just not happy that the pagans beat you to it grin Meaning if it was started by Christians and done my way, there will be no problem. I can live with that.

Ok let me say it out clearly before you read a wrong meaning to all what I've been saying.............its a sin to immerse Christ into pagaÑism.....so engaging in xmas celebration is a SIN.....you don rest??.......

The truth is no right thinking christian would have even started the celebration of Christs birthday.........celebrating birthdays itself was associated with pagans.........don't you get it zikky??...............smh!!!!!.............celebrating Jesus' birthday is nothing but waste of time.........these are my final words......FLEE from paganism.......thank you.....

3 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 7:35am On Dec 26, 2012
plappville:

What yes, My answers are base on the Scriptures, you can read, so you have the chioce to accept them or let them go for someone else that values Gods truth!

Who have time to argue blindly...!! See how unserious you are....!

matthew 11:25 we can either think like a babe to gain d mind of christ or a proud critic who wants the way things are.pls leave them alone to do whats pleasing in thier eyes.they r physically incline

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:36am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

I don't dodge questions. You can see how i have taken time to go through all the posts. Maybe it was a belief that the question was not necessary and you have shown below that the question is not really necessary. It's the same reason i needed my 'guys' to stay focus, i kept reading a lot of irrelevant stuff. To answer your question; i truly don't know why they chose December. I read here that it was meant to capture the attention of the pagans holding a pagan feast at that same (December) time.

Then why participate in what you don't understand? to capture the attention of the pagans holding a pagan feast at that same time? isn't that unscriptural? isn't that man-made? deceptive too? the kingdom of God was never meant for quantity, rather for quality and as you can see, the effect/result of Christmas favors the devil more than anyone else, so whose kingdom exactly does Christmas progress?

Zikkyy:
Jesus and his disciples not engaging in an activity should not be the reason why we cannot perform such activity today. That's the part i don't agree with. It's easier if you can show that the act is a sin. That way we will not be having this argument. I am not a die hard fan of Christmas, am only here because my 'guys' have not been able to convince me that the act is a sin. You don't condemn an act based on personal views. I have asked a question here and i believe you have seen it, kindly prove that such act is not acceptable to God and i will be out of here. Is traditions of men (washing of hand before eating) a sin? What was Jesus issue with the so called tradition of men?

Yes, it's wrong to bring in the traditions of men while relegating Christ's teachings to the backroom, we have all seen what this activity has done to the body of Christ, it has caused proliferation and a tool for "weak Christians" to further fall into sins, whatever won't bring glory to God should never be encouraged and Christmas is one of them as we can all witness.

I didn't condemn xmas on personal view, the reasons are all in our eyes unless you want to pretend you're not seeing the harm it's doing to the body of Christ. i have answered your questions before from the previous comments of mine, you can go back there and answer. Not washing of hands before eating is a "mere" law which was never from Jesus nor God in the first place, that was a law passed down by Moses, i don't see any spiritual connection with washing or not washing of hands but there's a lot of spiritual connections with how xmas gives room to alot of people to do/act unthinkable things and at the same time serve the gods (indirectly) they don't understand.

Go back to my earlier post for what Jesus said about the traditions of men, you can also help yourself with this:

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar_7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Col_2:22 Which all are to perish with the usingwink after the commandments and doctrines of men?

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Heb_13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:41am On Dec 26, 2012
TroGunn:
Your repeatedly asking where "Christ stated that we should not celebrate his birthday" implied it had to be expressly stated in the Bible to be taken as "proof", hence my cocaine analogy. Or maybe I read that wrong.

You read wrong my brother. It was the anti Xmas crew that kept saying Xmas is not expressly stated in the bible and therefore wrong. If anybody adopt this position, it is only fair that they show to us where in the same bible it was also expressly stated that Xmas should not be celebrated. If I say it is wrong for anybody's to block his street and party simply because it is not stated in the Nigeria constitution that they are allowed to it, I must also be able to show from the constitution that they are not allowed to, otherwise it becomes my personal opinion. Hope you understand that.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 7:46am On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Ok let me say it out clearly before you read a wrong meaning to all what I've been saying.............its a sin to immerse Christ into pagaÑism.....so engaging in xmas celebration is a SIN.....you don rest??.......

The truth is no right thinking christian would have even started the celebration of Christs birthday.........celebrating birthdays itself was associated with pagans.........don't you get it zikky??...............smh!!!!!.............celebrating Jesus' birthday is nothing but waste of time.........these are my final words......FLEE from paganism.......thank you.....

You see yourself. You keep dancing around. Afraid to take a stand. Now you have denied the position you took earlier.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by eddyspice(m): 7:50am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

You chose #2 meaning you don't have issues with the concept of celebrating Christ birthday. I can see your issue has to do with implementation which i very much agree with. Thanks
guy think again i choose an option dat highlights paganism and i dont see y 1 must celebrate jesus birthday.philippians 1:10 says we shuld focus on what is more important.so what will give us salvation (a)his birth or (b) beliving in his sacrificial death.make ur choice

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 7:56am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

Noth pole ke shocked and i thought those gifts were from the nearest walmart store grin Satan chilling in the North pole? This is serious stuff. But also know that the product you use on a daily basis must have been produced at the North pole as well so you are not immune. Consider those stuff on sales/discount, there could be Christmas leftovers from stuff manufactured by satan in the North pole.

I agree with the first part, but i am not sure i completely agree with the second part. True we should not think that it is these doctrines that draw us closer to God. Maybe it helps for some people i don't know so am not going to comment on it. What i don't agree with is for you to say it takes you farther away from God, you don't have a basis for such statement. It's just your personal opinion.

My brother leave matter. is there any thing drawing people to God these days? Its not just Christmas, atrocities are committed even when churches hold their convention and congress, a lot of things happen during night vigil self. With more and more people in church is society any better? This is not just a Christmas thing. Do we then scrap Christianity? tell me.

What are you saying here. That Christians should not live the good life? they should live like apostle paul? probably squatting without accommodation. Are you saying Christians should not hustle?

Are you sure you read my post very well? These were my questions:
1. can we say the giving of gift (at any other time in the year) is a pagan act?
2. can we say decorating my house with plants/flowers (at any other time of the year) is a pagan act?
3. Can we say the burnt offering to God using farm animals is a pagan act, because the pagans also used farm animals for their burnt offerings?
4. can we the passover in remembrance of Christ is a pagan act because peeps were getting drunk at such events?
5. Can we say go to church is pagan because some other peeps go there with un-holy motives?

Which part of my question are you responding to?

I am not the one to show you. I never claimed it was there. You are the one condemning the act. it your responsibility to show why Christians should not be celebrating Christ.

Yes, in your physical sight, it's from stores around the world but the real message (what we know of santa) is that the gifts are suppose to come from north-pole, this is symbolic, you need to calm down to understand it. when you look at this point as a common man, the answer you just gave would be same because it's based on your understanding of spiritual things. the devil does not operate in physical form or does he?

Yes, it takes you farther from God, sin is a reproach and we know xmas encourages more sin and God's not seen near sinful environment, very simple!

Yes, sins are committed everytime but xmas even gives sin some form of "holy" approval, idol worshiping is one of the atrocities, worshiping the god of the sun unknowingly. Christians shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas because it has nothing to do with Christians, the Catholics who calved yuletide into a "christian" festival should continue with it, but never make it look as if it's God's will/way or doing it for Jesus.

Christian - Christ-like: You can't scrap Christianity because it's suppose to be what you are, what you say and how you live, you can't scrap a personality, religion can be scrapped but you can't scrap your identity which is suppose to be how Jesus lived, what he did while on earth, his teachings and his lifestyle.

Partially yes, xtians are not suppose to do what the rest of the world partake in, anything that won't progress the kingdom of God and also bring out the Christ in you must not be partake in. no one's telling you not to live a good life or make money legally, fun and happiness is not from what you gain or gather, it comes from the inner acceptance you have for your spirit being. if you're empty spiritually, physically, you won't find that inner peace and xmas/partying/material gains won't fill the gap.

Someone already answered you on this before and i also answered you before, let's stop beating about the bush, this questions got answered a long time ago, go back and read through some of our replies to you. accepting/believing is a choice.

I have given you more than 5 reasons not to celebrate xmas and others have done so too, how else do you want it spelt out?

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 7:56am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

You see yourself. You keep dancing around. Afraid to take a stand. Now you have denied the position you took earlier.

I don talk wetin dey my belle...............who does nt know that engaging in pagan infested celebrations or festivities is a sin??......na for my mouth you wan hear am??.......zikki ooo....grin.....

We fit rest now??......after today don pass just buy me dring e hear....grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2012
honeric01:

Then why participate in what you don't understand? to capture the attention of the pagans holding a pagan feast at that same time? isn't that unscriptural? isn't that man-made? deceptive too? the kingdom of God was never meant for quantity, rather for quality and as you can see, the effect/result of Christmas favors the devil more than anyone else, so whose kingdom exactly does Christmas progress?

Yes, it's wrong to bring in the traditions of men while relegating Christ's teachings to the backroom, we have all seen what this activity has done to the body of Christ, it has caused proliferation and a tool for "weak Christians" to further fall into sins, whatever won't bring glory to God should never be encouraged and Christmas is one of them as we can all witness.

I didn't condemn xmas on personal view, the reasons are all in our eyes unless you want to pretend you're not seeing the harm it's doing to the body of Christ. i have answered your questions before from the previous comments of mine, you can go back there and answer. Not washing of hands before eating is a "mere" law which was never from Jesus nor God in the first place, that was a law passed down by Moses, i don't see any spiritual connection with washing or not washing of hands but there's a lot of spiritual connections with how xmas gives room to alot of people to do/act unthinkable things and at the same time serve the gods (indirectly) they don't understand.

Go back to my earlier post for what Jesus said about the traditions of men, you can also help yourself with this:

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar_7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Col_2:22 Which all are to perish with the usingwink after the commandments and doctrines of men?

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Heb_13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Mr Homeric, you are the one talking about traditions of men not me. I have asked if Jesus was saying that it was a sin to require that be washed before eating or was more concerned that this activity has been elevated above God laws. We should make references that are relevant.

You keep talking about the impact of Xmas on the potential to lead people to sin. I have asked some questions, what proportion of Xmas celebrants are true Christians? Is it the Muslim that celebrate Xmas that is led to sin? Are you saying you don't find a Christian whose faith is further strengthen from celebrating Christ? I will tell you I have. Are you saying you don't find a non Christian drawn closer to Christ from through Xmas? I will tell you I have. I have shown that Christians and non Christians sin just by participating in other 'approved' Christian activities, are we then to scrap every activity or scrap Christianity?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

You read wrong my brother. It was the anti Xmas crew that kept saying Xmas is not expressly stated in the bible and therefore wrong. If anybody adopt this position, it is only fair that they show to us where in the same bible it was also expressly stated that Xmas should not be celebrated. If I say it is wrong for anybody's to block his street and party simply because it is not stated in the Nigeria constitution that they are allowed to it, I must also be able to show from the constitution that they are not allowed to, otherwise it becomes my personal opinion. Hope you understand that.

It's not personal opinion when the bible reports negatively on birthdays and for only pagans. Obviously, God's worshippers did not celebrate it because of it's pagan roots.

It's not personal opinion if from the scriptures, principles that condemn copying pagan practices (of which Christmas reeks of) is clearly stated.

It's not personal opinion, when you are shown from the Bible the ONLY celebration Jesus said should be done to remember him - and no, that celebration is not Christmas.

It's not personal opinion, when you are shown that the bible as is is "complete" for one to worship God acceptably without need for adding a pagan-derived celebration.

You are just going round in circles. So, you do want it expressly stated in the bible that we should or shouldn't celebrate Christmas, even though the principles against such abounds in the bible?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 8:27am On Dec 26, 2012
eddy spice: guy think again i choose an option dat highlights paganism and i dont see y 1 must celebrate jesus birthday.philippians 1:10 says we shuld focus on what is more important.so what will give us salvation (a)his birth or (b) beliving in his sacrificial death.make ur choice

Oga, you chose an option that imply you don't have issues with the concept of Xmas. This no time to lie. Nobody is saying we should not focus on more important issues, okay.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 8:32am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

Mr Homeric, you are the one talking about traditions of men not me. I have asked if Jesus was saying that it was a sin to require that be washed before eating or was more concerned that this activity has been elevated above God laws. We should make references that are relevant.

You keep talking about the impact of Xmas on the potential to lead people to sin. I have asked some questions, what proportion of Xmas celebrants are true Christians? Is it the Muslim that celebrate Xmas that is led to sin? Are you saying you don't find a Christian whose faith is further strengthen from celebrating Christ? I will tell you I have. Are you saying you don't find a non Christian drawn closer to Christ from through Xmas? I will tell you I have. I have shown that Christians and non Christians sin just by participating in other 'approved' Christian activities, are we then to scrap every activity or scrap Christianity?

Why are you repeating yourself even though i have already answered you?
I don't know the proportion but i know they are few because "many are called, but few are chosen" xtianity as a religion is the biggest in the world but Christians as Christ-like are very few. "the harvest is ripe but the LABORER (real Christians) are few"

2 Likes

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 9:05am On Dec 26, 2012
TroGunn:

It's not personal opinion when the bible reports negatively on birthdays and for only pagans. Obviously, God's worshippers did not celebrate it because of it's pagan roots.

It's not personal opinion if from the scriptures, principles that condemn copying pagan practices (of which Christmas reeks of) is clearly stated.

It's not personal opinion, when you are shown from the Bible the ONLY celebration Jesus said should be done to remember him - and no, that celebration is not Christmas.

It's not personal opinion, when you are shown that the bible as is is "complete" for one to worship God acceptably without need for adding a pagan-derived celebration.

You are just going round in circles. So, you do want it expressly stated in the bible that we should or shouldn't celebrate Christmas, even though the principles against such abounds in the bible?

It is very personal when you interpret biblical events to suit your cause. It is your personal interpretation when you say the bible reports negatively on birthdays. At the same birthday a life was saved and it was the life that was saved that got Joseph out of jail. And we all know what Joseph later became.

It is personal when you claim that every Christian involve in pagan activities during Xmas celebration, when you are not there with all of them.

It is personal opinion when you claim that Jesus reference that a particular celebration should be done in remembrance of him imply that Jesus is saying no other act should be performed to celebrate him. Do Christians celebrate the birth of Christ in remembrance of his death?

It personal opinion when you say Christians engage in a pagan derived celebration, especially when you are afraid to say that the so called pagan derived celebration is a sin. If celebrating birthday is pagan, it implies it is a sin. So how come nobody had the balls to label the actions I stated in my questions as sinful?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by true2god: 9:26am On Dec 26, 2012
One thing most pple dnt understand is dat the present day calender system(especially gregorian calender) and days namings were all named after stranges gods. Sunday in particular was names after the god of the SUN, and d day (sunday) was the day dedicated to idol worship during the greeko-roman empire.

Can we now say dat xtains dat go to church on sundays are worshipping the SUN god, given the historical antecedent of sunday, as a day dedicated to idol worship? One thing we need understand is dat the world has evolved so much and many practices ones seen as paganistic are no longer so. Take for instance, on SUNDAY (during the greeko-roman period), sacrifices are made to gods of ephesus and others. But in today sundays pple go to church to hear the word of God, and no ritual made. Will u now say sunday services are dedicated to SUN god? No.

The basis for my argument is dis, even though im not a xmas freak, there is nothing wrong celebratin the birth of christ if done modestly and with sober reflection on the significance of christ birth. No one knws the specific date christ was born. Even my grand mother(in dis modern era), the family dont knw the actual date she was born cos there is no birth registration centre in my village. So if the family choses a particular day to celebrate her it is never a crime as long as no idol or ancestral worship is attched to dat.

So the argument of not seeing anything good in xmas celebration is wrong and bias. It is true dat durin xmas so might choose to do things contrary to the bible, like drinkin and partying, but we shouldnt also forget dat many good things equally take place during xmas (family meetings, family prayers, showing love to friends, sharing of gifts, visitings friends and families, taking time off work, team\ bonding exercise, and even travelling)

let always see the + side of life and not be unnecesarily critics dat will not change anything but always in the corner to judge the seemingly flawed part of a system.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 9:46am On Dec 26, 2012
honeric01:

Yes, in your physical sight, it's from stores around the world but the real message (what we know of santa) is that the gifts are suppose to come from north-pole, this is symbolic, you need to calm down to understand it. when you look at this point as a common man, the answer you just gave would be samer because it's based on your understanding of spiritual things. the devil does not operate in physical form or does he?

Yes, it takes you farther from God, sin is a reproach and we know xmas encourages more sin and God's not seen near sinful environment, very simple!

Yes, sins are committed everytime but xmas even gives sin some form of "holy" approval, idol worshiping is one of the atrocities, worshiping the god of the sun unknowingly. Christians shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas because it has nothing to do with Christians, the Catholics who calved yuletide into a "christian" festival should continue with it, but never make it look as if it's God's will/way or doing it for Jesus.

Christian - Christ-like: You can't scrap Christianity because it's suppose to be what you are, what you say and how you live, you can't scrap a personality, religion can be scrapped but you can't scrap your identity which is suppose to be how Jesus lived, what he did while on earth, his teachings and his lifestyle.

Partially yes, xtians are not suppose to do what the rest of the world partake in, anything that won't progress the kingdom of God and also bring out the Christ in you must not be partake in. no one's telling you not to live a good life or make money legally, fun and happiness is not from what you gain or gather, it comes from the inner acceptance you have for your spirit being. if you're empty spiritually, physically, you won't find that inner peace and xmas/partying/material gains won't fill the gap.

Someone already answered you on this before and i also answered you before, let's stop beating about the bush, this questions got answered a long time ago, go back and read through some of our replies to you. accepting/believing is a choice.

I have given you more than 5 reasons not to celebrate xmas and others have done so too, how else do you want it spelt out?

You accuse me of repeating the same thing yet you keep referring to issues I have long given my views about. I have stated over and over my position on the sins associated with Xmas which is just like any other event. I will only respond to couple of things so you dont accuse me of repetition. The first is to correct my comment that Christianity be scrapped, I meant Christian practices. The second is that you talk about the sin associated with Xmas which I have always agreed with. My focus has been to question the condemnation of everybody celebrating Xmas. Is the celebration (the concept) that has to do with Sun worship or the actual practice? If some peeps are celebrating Christ birth in a manner acceptable to God, should we go ahead and condemn them? In addition if Xmas should be scrapped because it lead some Christians to sin, every other Christian practice that provides opportunity for sin should also be scrapped. I don't think you should be selective irrespective of what you considered as magnitude of sin.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by alexleo(m): 10:08am On Dec 26, 2012
Where did the bible instruct african women to perm your hair because its hard to comb. Perming changes your hair from its natural state just like bleaching cream and soap changes the colour of the body from its natural state. Using soap to bath is to remove dirt from your body and its completely different from perming. Yet when the soap or cream begins to bleach you the next thing you do as a child of God is to change to another type of soap or cream. Now you are accusing us of celebrating christ when the bible, according to you, did not instruct us and here you are doing perming that the bible did not instruct you and you claim you follow the scriptures. You dey try no be small.
plappville:

Just to mention some of your errors on what worldliness is. Am sure if you are an African woman, you will understand that relaxing your hair has no worldliness
It helps you freely comb ur hair without pain. African women has surborn hair texture is not like the Western women.
If you conderm perming without a scriptural proof, i surposed you do not use body cream and soap as well. You will not need soap to wash you body and clothes and see how your interpretaion of seeing perming as worldliness is correct. Soap, cream oil, etc are all cosmetics product.

They all are made to clean you up and to make you look healthier. If you should generalise, then i can tell you that,
The present weather in the WEST request applying of body cream, you will scrash the hell out of your dry skin if you don't use body cream.
Are we now commiting sin to God for using body cream or soap? I can see You are misqouting the world.

WORLDLINESS.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by true2god: 10:13am On Dec 26, 2012
Lets look at another angle of event\fashion, something not quite related to xmas. When i was in school i used to attend one xtain fellowship where i was told that the wearing of Jeans is against the word of God. We were told the history of peaple dat started the use of Jeans trousiers hw bad they are and their association with pple of the dark world. Incidentally over 70% of we guys in dat meeting were putting on Jean trousiers.

Some guys left the meetin in annoyance for wat the guy said on the podium cos most of us see jeans as rugged and can be used for weeks without washing (just brushing) and will save us time for anoda useful things in sch.

The other issue is the wedding ring, many pple view wedding ring as as ancient hindu practice associated with occultism, but today its a norm and even an integral part of the weddin process. Can we now say wedding rings are demonic cos it has no root in xtainity?

Most of us will rather choose to stay in our house and lock up ourselves frm the society if we choose to entertain all our time and taught on practices of today that are not in the bible. Even the olympics (greek olympus) is associated with idols (see the olympic sign and hologram and study its origin ). Are we now saying that the competitors and athletes and spectators and the LOC are worshipping idol?

The moment we realize the dynamics of human civilization and progression, most of our unneccessary burdens of certains things we see wrong will ease. Paul talked about the celebration of time and season (during his time there was no xmas,partly cos the church system is still strange to the pple at dat time), but he placed no burden on the pple not to celebrate as long as no sacrifice is made to 'appease' any false god (somewhere in the book of corinthian).

Happy holiday to all my friends, incuding plappvile.

1 Like

Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by honeric01(m): 10:16am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

You accuse me of repeating the same thing yet you keep referring to issues I have long given my views about. I have stated over and over my position on the sins associated with Xmas which is just like any other event. I will only respond to couple of things so you dont accuse me of repetition. The first is to correct my comment that Christianity be scrapped, I meant Christian practices. The second is that you talk about the sin associated with Xmas which I have always agreed with. My focus has been to question the condemnation of everybody celebrating Xmas. Is the celebration (the concept) that has to do with Sun worship or the actual practice? If some peeps are celebrating Christ birth in a manner acceptable to God, should we go ahead and condemn them? In addition if Xmas should be scrapped because it lead some Christians to sin, every other Christian practice that provides opportunity for sin should also be scrapped. I don't think you should be selective irrespective of what you considered as magnitude of sin.

Christian practices like?

No one is condemning anyone (Not me), only pointing out the dangers in celebrating what is alien to Christianity (from the little i have researched)

The concept and the practice are the same because it's still to the same god of the sun on the 25th and with almost the same "rituals"

How do you know this manner is acceptable unto God? where was it commanded that we do this? genuine Christians are suppose to know what Christ (the founder of Christianity) told us to[/b]observe while waiting for his second coming and Christmas was never one of them, they never partook in it (early Christians and Christ himself), he employed us to do what he did and Christmas is not among what he did.

[b]Every other christian practices like?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:18am On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

I don talk wetin dey my belle...............who does nt know that engaging in pagan infested celebrations or festivities is a sin??......na for my mouth you wan hear am??.......zikki ooo....grin.....

We fit rest now??......after today don pass just buy me dring e hear....grin

No wahala. We can start from today, visit NL bar and have a drink or two on me. I get credit line for there. I still get leftover of drinks specially purchased for Xmas merry-ment. I fit package some for you specially wrapped in Santa designed wrapper. I fit get Santa to deliver self. Just drop your delivery address grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:24am On Dec 26, 2012
honeric01:

Why are you repeating yourself even though i have already answered you?

My apologies, I respond to posts as I read them even before reading subsequent posts. I saw your response after making my post.
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by ijawkid(m): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2012
Zikkyy:

No wahala. We can start from today, visit NL bar and have a drink or two on me. I get credit line for there. I still get leftover of drinks specially purchased for Xmas merry-ment. I fit package some for you specially wrapped in Santa designed wrapper. I fit get Santa to deliver self. Just drop your delivery address grin

Lol....no send santa come my door o....lol......grin..........
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:39am On Dec 26, 2012
honeric01:

Christian practices like?

No one is condemning anyone (Not me), only pointing out the dangers in celebrating what is alien to Christianity (from the little i have researched)

The concept and the practice are the same because it's still to the same god of the sun on the 25th and with almost the same "rituals"

How do you know this manner is acceptable unto God? where was it commanded that we do this? genuine Christians are suppose to know what Christ (the founder of Christianity) told us to[/b]observe while waiting for his second coming and Christmas was never one of them, they never partook in it (early Christians and Christ himself), he employed us to do what he did and Christmas is not among what he did.

[b]Every other christian practices like?

Now you are the asking me to repeat what I already stated.

If you want to know what I consider acceptable practice refer to sample from the question my anti-xmas brothers have been avoiding. I will try attempt to refresh with the next post I make.

How do I know it is acceptable? I look at the commandment, have I breached it by my action using the freedom I have been given?
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:42am On Dec 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol....no send santa come my door o....lol......grin..........

You and Santa go settle una self when he knock for your door. If you like bury a bullet in his head, na you know grin
Re: Christians, Can You Trace The History Of Your Feastival......? by Zikkyy(m): 10:44am On Dec 26, 2012
@honeric, I consider the act in the question below acceptable.

Zikkyy:

"what if I decided to celebrate the birth of Christ by a dedicating a day once a year for it, a day I chose, and I spend the day giving praises. Do you consider my action a sin? If yes kindly state why"

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / 8 Great Lessons From 8 Great Men Of God. / Eminem Becomes A Born Again Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.