Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same (23019 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 7:19pm On Dec 22, 2012
Pidgin english is the only language where question and answer can be the same.
Eg:Q- Eba dey?
A- Eba dey..
Q- Mummy dey house?
A- Mummy dey house.

Please post your own if you are a nigerian,

9 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Coolval222(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2012
So na here you dey?

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by tpia5: 8:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
you sabi pidgin?

i sabi pidgin

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by petokey: 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
Coolval222: So na here you dey?
my broda, am just kooling off.gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by 80million1: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2012
*speechless*

4th!

OP, na who tell una?
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by rozayx5(m): 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2012
100th to comment grin grin
how are you dey
how do you dey

3 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by jericco1(m): 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2012
Make we chop?
Make we chop....

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Kslib(m): 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q::: Na garri be dis?
A:::: na garri be dis oh..

Q::: Garri don cost for market?
A::: garri don cost for market oh...

Q::: Garri with milk dey sweet?
A::: garri with milk dey sweet oh...

110 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by vocalprince(m): 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2012
grin yam dey? Yam dey. Op dey mad? Op dey mad. Thank you.

57 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by 80million1: 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2012
*speechless*

Let's ask that sexy calabar girl, BEREM!
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by since1914(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2012
It is also the same in Russian language to some extent. The difference is that in pidgin English we stress the last words (syllable?) to differentiate a question from a sentence, while in Russian the stress starts with the very first word of the sentence.

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2012
Nairaland go share christmas gift?

Nairaland go share christmas gift....

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by toygod2: 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na thread be dis?
Na needle oh

46 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by vascey(m): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
Dem dey fight for nairaland?
Dem dey fight for nairaland.

Dem dey abuse themselves for nairaland?
Dem dey abuse themselves for nairaland.

Nairaland na number 1?
Nairaland na number 1.

@OP cool stuff. Compliments people.

9 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: Na Usain Chukwuemeka Bolt be dat?
A: Yes, na Usain Chukwuemeka Bolt be dat.

Q: Dat man fit knack akpako?
A: Dat man fit knack akpako.

Q: Mama Nkechi daughter na ashawo?
A: Mama Nkechi daughter na ashawo o.

12 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by cr8v(f): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
Don't agree, its almost in all languages I know. In colloquial English, if you ask, "Mum at Home?" The answer could be "Mum, at home". It depends on where you paused and the physical gesture that accompanied your response

3 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by freecocoa(f): 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
Him go come?
Him go come.

She go hospital?
She go hospital.

Na lie you dey talk?
Na lie you dey talk

The food small?
The food small.

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by RantAlin(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na lie! It all depends on the person responding.

Example;

"Eba dey?".... "Yes e dey, you want am?"
"OP dey craze?" ... "I no fit know o, but e be like sey the guy for use yaba left well" ....
Now tell me see where you got your silly idea that question and answer are same in pidgin!

6 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by pdf90(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na de babe be dis ?
Na de babe be dis o

oboy na new car be dis ?
Oboy na new car be dis .

Na dead body be dat ?
Na dead body be dat .

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by EzePromoe: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q: The topic e enter frontpage? shocked
A: The topic e enter frontpage. cool

6 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by donwilz(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2012
since_1914: It is also the same in Russian language to some extent. The difference is that in pidgin English we stress the last words (syllable?) to differentiate a question from a sentence, while in Russian the stress starts with the very first word of the sentence.
like what? give us an example.. Eto ne pravda voobshe

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2012

5 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na where I dey?

Na where i dey.

Uche, why you dey use weave and bleaching creme?

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Wendyslim(f): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na him dey there?
Na him dey there.

He don sleep ?
He don sleep

1 Like

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by olatunde1234: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2012
Q- E dey pain? Ans.-E dey pain. Q- Sure? Ans.- Sure

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2012
Kslib: Q::: Na garri be dis?
A:::: na garri be dis oh..

Q::: Garri don cost for market?
A::: garri don cost for market oh...

Q::: Garri with milk dey sweet?
A::: garri with milk dey sweet oh...
Q:::: Kslib de mad?
A:::: Kslib de mad o.

1 Like

#80million:
*speechless*

Let's ask that sexy calabar girl, BEREM!
Why you dey always dey speachless?
I dey speechless

Berem na Calabar girl?
Bros abeg I no be calabar girl o!

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by ihebrooke(m): 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2012
Na frontpage this thread dey?
Na frontpage I'm dey oh.

Na mukina carry am to front page?
Na mukina carry am to front page oh.

She well at all?
She no well oh.

She go hide my post?
Na the next thing be that oh.

She go ban me?
She fit oh.

17 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2012
omo_to_dun: @ topic

That is not true. In English, for example, one may say, "Joshua gave the book to Tom," as a statement and also ask "Joshua gave the book to Tom?" as a way of confirming an assumption.

The difference is always in the tone of the sentence.

There's no question marker (how, where, do, did, why etc) in that "question".

That one na ghetto english?

2 Likes

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2012
Emeka, na which kain tura you dey use?

Na Alao Akala toothpaste.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 22, 2012
Eze Promoe: Q: The topic e enter frontpage? shocked
A: The topic e enter frontpage. cool
shey na Munika put am for front page?
Na munika put am for front page
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by CrazyMan(m): 9:48pm On Dec 22, 2012
Crazy people de Nairaland?

Crazy people de Nairaland

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja / Masquerade Festival Celebration In Akwa Ibom State (Videos, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.