Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,399 members, 7,808,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same (23030 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Some Nigerian Proverbs – In PIDGIN / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 23, 2012
omo_to_dun:
Thank you. All the languages I know how to speak have this literal device so it confuses me as to how the OP thinks this is exclusive to Pidgin English.

@Ileke-Idi
I suppose the apropos term would be informal, not ghetto. People in sundry classes use this form of speaking, from the very illiterate to the very literate.

Yea, tone can change a statement to a question, vice versa.
But if you wanna be politically wrong, you can let your tone determine which one it is.
In a professional setting, you're going to have to use question markers.

Informal ghetto etc, sorry, I was too lazy jare. Just typing as I dey go.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 12:41am On Dec 23, 2012
@since_1914
Unfortunately, I don't speak Russian so will never get to understand your point. But I believe it wouldn't be different from the other arguments some hold for French which I don't think is right. Thank you for explaining anywhere.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Smartjeezy(m): 12:46am On Dec 23, 2012
Na dere u dey?
Na here i dey jare.
How far now?
Oga e no too far jare.
How market bros?
Market dey move my brother.
U don see am?
Yes i don see am.
Op u dey crazy?
Oh boy i no dey crazy ooo.
U dey ma.dt?
I no day madt.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 23, 2012
petokey:
Na u get ur mouth?
Na u get ur mouth.
Ur mouth go kill u?
Ur mouth go kill u?
U b mumu?
U b mumu.

try harder, boi
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 12:48am On Dec 23, 2012
Dapo, you get oko nla?

Dapo you get oko nla.

cheesy
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 12:57am On Dec 23, 2012
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by mrrock: 1:09am On Dec 23, 2012
@omo_to_dun
If reporters are asking questions without question markers simply mean they are making a mistake. It's as simple as that. A comment is different from a question.
Haven't you seen where the subject of a question replied; is that a question?. I mean Obama can decide not to answer such question, if it wasn't asked as a question in the first place.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 23, 2012
omo_to_dun:

I still disagree. Even in professional contexts, some folks still phrase their questions this way. It is not mostly a primary question. For example, while I was giving a talk about my research on Ray Tracing last summer, I erroneously made a statement whose contra-positive was false; one of the professors in the audience quickly interjected and asked, "So if you use bounding boxes, the algorithm running time would be polynomial in the number of pixels?"

Speaking rules are different from writing rules.
Even watching President Obama's press conferences, I have seen reporters ask questions without question markers...

A question does not necessarily have to be placed at the beginning or end of sentence.If you speak Yoruba (which I know you do), you'd know how.

In this case "Would" is acting as a question marker, presents an "uncertain" situation. Understandably, it could still stand as a statement if the question tone is removed.

If i was the one asking that question, I'd lay emphasis on "would".

PS: Most people in a professional settings don't speaks formally anymore. Well, this just shows the mutating dilemma of the English language.

We at least agreed on one thing:

Ileke-IdI:

Written and spoken version differ.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by jydux(m): 1:16am On Dec 23, 2012
lite don come?
Lite don come
U wan make ur blood dry?
U wan make ur blood dry
sometin dey worrey u?
Sometin dey worrey u
shishi no enta ur hand?
Shishi no enta ur hand
u don knak am apako?
U don knak am apako
rain beat u?
Rain beat u
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by ektbear: 1:20am On Dec 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Not the same thing bro.

Would that "answer" still stand without the "answer marker"?

Yup. The si is optional
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by asudan: 1:51am On Dec 23, 2012
cr8v: Don't agree, its almost in all languages I know. In colloquial English, if you ask, "Mum at Home?" The answer could be "Mum, at home". It depends on where you paused and the physical gesture that accompanied your response
is mum at home not mum at home.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by asudan: 1:54am On Dec 23, 2012
CrazyMan: Crazy people de Nairaland?

Crazy people de Nairaland
craise=pidgin
crazy=english
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 2:05am On Dec 23, 2012
maybe the only NIGERIAN LANGUAGE, but not period.

There are other dialects that also have this same unique trait.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OmoTier1(m): 2:39am On Dec 23, 2012
wonda26:

Some people always dey suffer?
Some people always dey suffer

Some people believe say dem go always dey beg?
Some people believe say dem go always dey beg

Person fit change him orientation if he like?
Person fit change him orientation if he like
Bros oh... nah chairman you dey call these names?.. Nah pope go bail you if I pour you san san wink
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OmoTier1(m): 2:41am On Dec 23, 2012
asudan:
craise=pidgin
crazy=english
Bros eyi.. dem dey form yankie nah... dem go roll tongue like mama apeye take dey speak piginz...
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OmoTier1(m): 2:43am On Dec 23, 2012
Abrantie:

This persin dey yak too much?
This persin dey yak too much oo

Make we ban am for NL?
Make we ban am for NL
shooo... dem no tell u sey waffi no dey carry last for yannings?.. wetin be your own nah? Bro eyi.. abeg shif go one side make chairman for breathe FRESH AIR .. cheesy
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by tpia5: 2:46am On Dec 23, 2012
masperano: Pls wat is d meaning of this! In as much I aint an active nairalander threads like dis futher discourages me frm being active on nairaland! Mr seun sir whoever is d moderator dat brought dis thread to front page should b queried.However I will like to appreciate some moderators who are painstakingly doing dat job without any iota of unprofessionalism! Dis sir is my humble submission

And what is this , my brother?
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OmoTier1(m): 2:53am On Dec 23, 2012
masperano: Pls wat is d meaning of this! In as much I aint an active nairalander threads like dis futher discourages me frm being active on nairaland! Mr seun sir whoever is d moderator dat brought dis thread to front page should b queried.However I will like to appreciate some moderators who are painstakingly doing dat job without any iota of unprofessionalism! Dis sir is my humble submission
Bro eyi.. abeg no vex ehn... we know say na you sabi oyinbo pass... Omo idomie tongue
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by OmoTier1(m): 2:54am On Dec 23, 2012
tpia@:

And what is this , my brother?
you too dey form abi wink ...
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Dawinlove(m): 5:07am On Dec 23, 2012
Point of correction no b mumy dey house...na ur ma dey house,abi malé dey?,and d person go answer say yes my ma dey house or my malé dey,nothin join agboro wit overload*i min nothin join pidgin wit english eg maleé wif mumy.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by born2boink(m): 5:24am On Dec 23, 2012
@Masperano, U bi better illeterate.pidgin na d ogbonge languague for naija town, make una no come distarbulise matter for here with jealosy for here.....
.....Masperano dey mad?
....Masperano dey mad O
....Her toto sweet?
....Her toto sweet
...Prick good?
...Prick good
or prick good die
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by uyonega(f): 5:59am On Dec 23, 2012
rozayx5: 100th to comment grin grin
how are you dey
how do you dey
grin
rozayx5: 100th to comment grin grin
how are you dey
how do you dey
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Chidex2442(m): 6:13am On Dec 23, 2012
Q. Nepa don kum?
A. Nepa don kum nor..
Q. Nite don cover?
A. Nite don cover nor..
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by dreu2fine(m): 6:21am On Dec 23, 2012
Its a big fat lie, wen u as aquestion like, how u de,d ans is i de fine,ur moma de house?d ans is yes.no spoil our ligua franca bros
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 23, 2012
C`est la francais?
C`est la francais. grin
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by bemagnify: 6:44am On Dec 23, 2012
since_1914: It is also the same in Russian language to some extent. The difference is that in pidgin English we stress the last words (syllable?) to differentiate a question from a sentence, while in Russian the stress starts with the very first word of the sentence.
wetin cncern Pidgin wit Russian language
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by olatunde1234: 7:22am On Dec 23, 2012
Q- E dey pain? Ans- E dey pain. Q- Sure? Ans- Sure.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by jaymichael(m): 7:28am On Dec 23, 2012
plendil:

It sounds a tad informal, but its very correct.

Consider:

'They will be here soon.'

'So he is coming?'

'Yes he's coming.'

Him go fit finish am? shocked shocked shocked

Him go fit finish am.
them say e no even reach self. them say make them increase am to 3billion
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by freecocoa(f): 7:46am On Dec 23, 2012
There is nothing humble about this rubbish you typed here.

So because we are discussing about pidgin english it shouldn't be on the front page?

Ogbeni carry yourself go back to any hole wey you come out from, see this one dey form don jazzy untop nothing, you no even fit write proper english sef mstcheew.

Him dey craze?
Him dey craze.tongue

Q-The guy wey write this post wey I quote na olodo?

Ans- The guy wey write this post wey I quote na olodo.
Re: Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same by ignis: 7:47am On Dec 23, 2012
Church don close?
Church don close.

Ignis dey shark garri?
Ignis dey shark garri.

Ignis don hammer?
Ignis don hammer.

GEJ dey craze?
Gej dey craze.

Naija politicians na theif?
Naija politicians na theif.

Haters go hug transformer?
Haters go hug transformer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) / Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) / Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.