Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

My Upgrade To Windows 8 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Upgrade To Windows 8 (13875 Views)

Note To Nigerians: Before You Upgrade To Windows 10 / You Can Now Upgrade To Windows 10 / Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2012
Ohayo, folks! So I just got done downloading Windows 8 Pro x64 off PirateBay. Please don't sue me! grin

Now I have two lappies, my main one and my not-so-main one. And like I do with all major installs, I first run it on my not-so-main system before transferring to my main system. Now I'm gonna document the process I followed to upgrade my Dell Inspiron N5040, Intel Pentium, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Basic, to Windows 8 Pro x64. Lesgo!

(RIGHT NOW I'M STILL ON WINDOWS 7)
_
If you end up bricking your PC, SIMONANDAL CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE. SimonAndal in NO way or part contributed to the voiding of warranty of the Windows 8 software by Microsoft.
This tutorial is for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. You will be held liable
_

1. I downloaded the 4.3GB file from TPB. (Took me a night and 3 hours: 11pm 19th Dec to 6am 20th Dec, and 1pm 22nd Dec to 4.30pm 22nd Dec)

2. Using Daemon Tools, I mounted the .iso file on a virtual drive.

3. Then I ran the optical image normally.

4. I got a window prompting me to install. (Notice the Metro color and font (Segoe, I think), and the new Windows logo)

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2012
5. On clicking "Install Now", I got a full-screen window showing initialization info.

6. I was then prompted to update the file online, which I declined.

7. And what install is complete without binding yourself to the developer's T&C?

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 22, 2012
8. Once I accepted the License terms, I was required to chose my installation type. To upgrade(which keeps my apps, files and settings, or to perform a clean install) [(NB: If you upgrade from Windows 7, you get to keep your programs, personal files and settings. If you upgrade from Vista, you keep your personal files and settings. But XP upgraders only get to keep personal files.) I chose to upgrade. Naturally. I mean, have you seen my hard drive?

9. Then the program scanned my system and alerted me to two programs that can't make the jump: Broadcom Bluetooth Driver and Microsoft Security Essentials. I had to uninstall them before the installation could continue. There were other potentially problematic programs, but nothing major that could prevent the upgrade.

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2012
10. And it's upgrading. See ya when it completes.

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2012
On my mobile now.
_
FRONT PAGE? YAY! THANK HADES AND HIS SEMI-LITERATE MINION!!!
_

1 Like

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Wendyslim(f): 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2012
Ok we dey wait undecided undecided
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by SisiKill1: 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2012
Nice!!

So tell us, why did you upgrade? What is Windows 8 offering?

I know, I know I can google it but I don't wanna. . .not in the mood.

Sides, you already started the discourse, why not pick your brains? grin

You don't mind do ya?

1 Like

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 22, 2012
Nope, I don't.
_
Copying Windows files (done)
Collecting files, settings and applications (33%) - Gathered 822 files, settings and programs out of 4935.
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by ijebabe: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2012
Did you have to mention PirateBay?? Now it'll be flooded with Nigerian scams and the site will be forced to shut down!!
How then am I going to download the next episode of vampire diaries??

3 Likes

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2012
undecided

Nice One.

Wait till my download completes. cheesy
Seruously? This made front page?

angry
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2012
Why I upgraded? Stuff looked fancy and I had data to spend.
Well that's like 35% of why I upgraded. The other 65 is for the change. I've been using 7 for a while now, and it's become predictable. I needed something new. Challenging. A new learning curve. Hence, 8.
_
Collecting files, settings and applications (100%)
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Onyenna(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
Wooow!!...
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by SisiKill1: 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
ijebabe: Did you have to mention PirateBay?? Now it'll be flooded with Nigerian scams and the site will be forced to shut down!!

Rotflmao!!!!cheesy cheesy

Don't worry, if PirateBay gets shut down, I got your back.

Just Holla! grin

1 Like

Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by ezeagu(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
What is the main advantage over Windows 7?
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nwogbe: 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
Dancing alanta, azonto plus ganyam sytle......... First to .........
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by ijebabe: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Rotflmao!!!!cheesy cheesy

Don't worry, if PirateBay gets shut down, I got your back.

Just Holla! grin
I have been protecting this secret for ages only to be exposed in a few minutes grin

You bet ur sweet ass im going to holla!
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2012
ijebabe: Did you have to mention PirateBay?? Now it'll be flooded with Nigerian scams and the site will be forced to shut down!!

another " the administrator has banned your ip address" coming up cheesy cheesy
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2012
Getting files ready for installation (19%)
_
As for advantage over 7, I'm afraid that's user-dependent. Ie, I love Metro. My mum thinks it's stupid. (bt dubs, Microsoft no longer calls it Metro, it's now Modern UI, or something stupid.)
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2012
oyb:

another " the administrator has banned your ip address" coming up cheesy cheesy

Lol. Please don't even wish for it.

Heck, they may begin to blame to number of "annoying leechers" who never seed on Nigerians. undecided
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by justwise(m): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2012
I burn the iso into CD and boot from the CD to install
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Leadn(m): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2012

bad day!
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by ezeagu(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
Was all that necessary?
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by AZeD1(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
SimonAndal: Why I upgraded? Stuff looked fancy and I had data to spend.
Well that's like 35% of why I upgraded. The other 65 is for the change. I've been using 7 for a while now, and it's become predictable. I needed something new. Challenging. A new learning curve. Hence, 8.
_
Collecting files, settings and applications (100%)

Try fedora
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
Actually, with the way TPB works, I don't think there's any risk of "Nigerian scams". Afterall those semi-naked chicks popping up all over the page haven't given anybody any qualms. Except the really blonde guys.
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2012
to be sincere, i haven't seen anything in windows 8 that makes a compelling case for migration

there's the 3rd party stuff thats now native, iso mounting, pdf reader,

there's the app store which only supports win 8

but outside of that - nada
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Kslib(m): 10:18pm On Dec 22, 2012
Nwogbe: Dancing alanta, azonto plus ganyam sytle......... First to .........
MUMU HIMSELF
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2012
on a side note - as much as is feasible, i download my movies in 720p mkv - that 1.93gb avengers must be hard on your bandwidth quota
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2012
A-ZeD:

Try fedora
_
Lemme re-phrase that: something challenging that LOOKS nice. That said, Debian trumps Fedora. And Ubuntu wins.
_
Getting files ready for installation (70%)
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by mchenry(m): 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2012

a lot of people have tried to shut down piratebay and the site is still functioning. it can handle a couple of Nigerians. besides there are a host of other sites
Re: My Upgrade To Windows 8 by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2012
All these stress cos you dont wanna go buy new lappy with Windows 8 pre-installed ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Is The Fastest Internet Modem In Naija? Share Ur Experience! / Is VoIP available in Nigeria? / USA Used Dell P65f, 4gb Gtx 1050 Nvidia, 7th Gen For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.