Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:37 AM

Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire (187815 Views)

Gur People Of Burkina, Mali, Cote D'ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Niger / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... / The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (54) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
ivorian225: @ Syb my computer m'as laché hier oooh embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

tkt wink
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nice! smiley

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by otumfour(m): 3:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sybellah:

This is how brong sounds like? shocked
It sounds a bit like twi or I am mistaken
Never heard a song in brong before
she is very good
up Bondoukou! cool

@ Royal, I think this is your type of woman right grin
she is pretty, hope u r enjoyin the vid smiley

lol! brong is a mixture of twi and something else......I can understand a bit of the Brong language
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 29, 2012
otumfour:

lol! brong is a mixture of twi and something else......I can understand a bit of the Brong language

aah ok I did not know that, so the Abron/Brong have a similar culture to the Ashanti?
I never heard a brong speak so i was surprised to hear this woman smiley
The Brong community is bigger in Ghana, and our Brong have been somewhat influenced by the Mandinka, so many converted to islam
is it the same in Ghana as well?
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 29, 2012
-
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by otumfour(m): 4:30pm On Dec 29, 2012
Ghanaian Akan

[img]http://www.viasat1.com.gh/v1/vnews/uploads/Jackie-Appiah-photo-01.jpg[/img]

I added some Ghanaian tags from youtube, specifically Akan peeps
she's Ashanti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UETEpDTXlCU?version=3&hl=en_US

she's akuapem/akyem & akyem/fante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GM-_OtSA8?version=3&hl=en_US

chew on these, more to come.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
^^ wink

The Ashanti one is so pretty, she looks like some girl I know, very informative vid

And about the Akyem girl, the way she pronounced Akyem seems similar to our Attie/Akye, i am starting to wonder if it is not the same community, i need to listen somebody speak the language so i could tell
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
Hmmm... My e-wife has got a new husband... shocked sad
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
shymexx: Hmmm... My e-wife has got a new husband... shocked sad

ahahah common am not e-cheatin hun wink
I am making conversation and learning grin
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by otumfour(m): 5:01pm On Dec 29, 2012
lol!.....decided to throw this one in, they'r halfcast (GHANA-ASHANTI/GERMAN) but dang! shocked can these girls spit TWI....they'r Twi is so good, it makes full blooded Akans go gaga

the'r Ashanti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-MisH4vok?hl=en_US

she's fante 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jPFQHDrbc?version=3&hl=en_US

she's ashanti/fante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3CqiEfl6vI?hl=en_US

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
what ethnic group in Ghana do u think have the prettiest girls?
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
For my name is: they said ye fle me:

we say be fle me, i understand very few expression from that vid

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by otumfour(m): 6:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sybellah: what ethnic group in Ghana do u think have the prettiest girls?

thts a tough one to answer, trust me, there are gorgeous women from each and every tribe (AKAN, GA, EWE, DAGBANE etc..) in Ghana.....u don't want me to splash images on here trust me....I love my GH. women, they are really beautiful from all shades of colors.

Akan girls, "my girls", they represent the beauty of the African woman, I luv 'em, hard working, they'v got this fighting spirit (Yaa Asantewa).. - I'm Akan but, surprisingly, I'v dated only 2 Akan girls grin (call me the explorer grin)

Ga girls are hot, they'v got bums tht cud make a man go crazy - I'v dated them, these girls keep oozing sexyness....bn dating 'em since
[img]http://www.viasat1.com.gh/v1/vnews/uploads/JOSELYN-CANFOR-DUMAS.jpg[/img]

Ewe girls are pretty too, mostly light-skinned - there's this funny connection between us, they'r attracted to me grin...I luv 'em...bn dating 'em since
[img]http://4.bp..com/-fMMTn7Q_80I/T1se-3MUoEI/AAAAAAAAAaw/Q2YdUlK_wGk/s640/Kafui_Danku+%2813%29.jpg[/img]

Northern girls, "speechless", these girls are plain beautiful....- haven't dated any yet, tho, I'v had some 1 or 2 namean grin grin
[img]http://news1.ghananation.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/Nasara_211974986.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

will be back! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
^^lool @ the explorer grin

but i thought that the woman with the "hips don't lie" was Akan

So there are 4 big groups in Ghana? Akan, Ewe, Ga and Northerners (are the northereners mainly gur or a mix of Gur and Mandinka)
And what are the ethnicities in the Ewe and Ga groups ?

Btw that northern girl looks like Jackie Appiah shocked

[img]http://news1.ghananation.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/Nasara_211974986.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by otumfour(m): 7:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
Akan (Fante and Ashanti) Tribes of Ghana

The largest ethnic group of Ghana includes the Akan tribes, who account for nearly half of the country's population. Well-known as a matrilineal people, the Akan (Ashanti) tribe of Ghana is also revered for their invention of colorful Kente cloth, a pastime now common to many Ghanaian tribes. Other notable characteristics of the Akan, Ashanti, and Fante people of Ghana include extravagant funerals and an extremely fine tradition of craft production. Some of the most famous African masks, sculptures, and furniture are crafted from the hands of Ashanti carvers.

Mole-Dagbon Tribes of Ghana

Although the Mole-Dagbonis the second most populous ethnic group, only one in every seven Ghanaians belong to this tribal group. Further categorized by sub-tribes, many people within the Mole-Dagbon ethnic groups live in Northern Ghana, such as Bolgatanga. Known and revered for amazing African crafts and basket weaving, the Northern markets of the Mole-Dagbon people are beginning to gain international attention.

Ewe Tribes of Ghana

The Ewe tribe of Ghana mainly reside in Southern Ghana, near the Togo border, and comprise nearly 12 percent of the nation's people. Spiritually, traditional Ewes honor hundreds of gods with a variety of traditional ceremonies and celebrations. Ewes, though historically involved in agriculture, now also partake in trading, craft and mask production, and fishing.

Ga-Adangbe Tribes of Ghana

Though often grouped together, the Ga and Adangbe people of Ghana collectively represent about a dozen tribes, each speaking their own dialect. Today, many of the Ga people live in urban areas near the capital city of Accra. The Ga-Adangbe tribes alone account for nearly eight percent of the population of Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
otumfour: Akan (Fante and Ashanti) Tribes of Ghana

The largest ethnic group of Ghana includes the Akan tribes, who account for nearly half of the country's population. Well-known as a matrilineal people, the Akan (Ashanti) tribe of Ghana is also revered for their invention of colorful Kente cloth, a pastime now common to many Ghanaian tribes. Other notable characteristics of the Akan, Ashanti, and Fante people of Ghana include extravagant funerals and an extremely fine tradition of craft production. Some of the most famous African masks, sculptures, and furniture are crafted from the hands of Ashanti carvers.

Mole-Dagbon Tribes of Ghana

Although the Mole-Dagbonis the second most populous ethnic group, only one in every seven Ghanaians belong to this tribal group. Further categorized by sub-tribes, many people within the Mole-Dagbon ethnic groups live in Northern Ghana, such as Bolgatanga. Known and revered for amazing African crafts and basket weaving, the Northern markets of the Mole-Dagbon people are beginning to gain international attention.

Ewe Tribes of Ghana

The Ewe tribe of Ghana mainly reside in Southern Ghana, near the Togo border, and comprise nearly 12 percent of the nation's people. Spiritually, traditional Ewes honor hundreds of gods with a variety of traditional ceremonies and celebrations. Ewes, though historically involved in agriculture, now also partake in trading, craft and mask production, and fishing.

Ga-Adangbe Tribes of Ghana

Though often grouped together, the Ga and Adangbe people of Ghana collectively represent about a dozen tribes, each speaking their own dialect. Today, many of the Ga people live in urban areas near the capital city of Accra. The Ga-Adangbe tribes alone account for nearly eight percent of the population of Ghana.

Niiiiice! kiss kiss
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sybellah:

ahahah common am not e-cheatin hun wink
I am making conversation and learning grin

Hmmm... I hear that...
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2012
otumfour: lol!.....decided to throw this one in, they'r halfcast (GHANA-ASHANTI/GERMAN) but dang! shocked can these girls spit TWI....they'r Twi is so good, it makes full blooded Akans go gaga

they'r Ashanti

..The One on <-----..... Twi <3...Her. <3...Her Attitude...[size=16pt]<3[/size]...This Video...[size=20pt]<3[/size]
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
shymexx:

Hmmm... I hear that...

wink
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sybellah:

This is how brong sounds like? shocked
It sounds a bit like twi or I am mistaken
Never heard a song in brong before
she is very good
up Bondoukou! cool

@ Royal, I think this is your type of woman right grin
she is pretty, hope u r enjoyin the vid smiley

haha lol nah, she has the facial build but it's poorly put together....

The Woman in your Profile is more my Type.

That combined with the Half Caste Attitude above.
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2012
الملكي فوق الله:

haha lol nah, she has the facial build but it's poorly put together....

aah common now, i think she cute tongue
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 29, 2012

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 4:29am On Dec 30, 2012
smiley Aizi basically Kru influenced by Akan culture

Aizi Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrq5_uViCpM&list=UU6fR88ELoIvL2fP8LVxxSGQ&index=1
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
@syb please come inbox

1 Like

Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
ivorian225: @syb please come inbox

kk ch8 la batongue
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
Song in Ebrie/Tchaman Language - Southern Akan (or Lagoon Akan)

Their original location is the Abidjan Area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx2K4qIlJTI
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
ABBEY PEOPLE-South Akan

Abes or the Abbeys or Abbays or Abbès are a people of Côte d'Ivoire representing approximately 2.8% of the population countries2 (over 580,000 people1. Habitantde of 21 million in Côte d'Ivore, 2011 .
Abbeys populations or ABES (or Béssouffouè language Baoulé) are composed of several fractions (Abe itself, N'Damé Abe, Abe-Eve-Krobou Abe, Abéanou resulting from interbreeding between Agba and Abe, Abe, Dida and Abidjis and Mbattos, ethnicity derived from the Abbey). The Abes were the warriors of the left wing of the army of Queen Pokou. The Abes are included in the Akan group, which also includes Ashanti, as they originate from Ghana, where they migrated between the seventeenth century and the eighteenth century to Côte d'Ivoire.
They live mainly in the region of Agboville, 79 km north of Abidjan.

Stand history

According to legend, the Abbeys, from Ghana, are the descendants of the Agni Agoua Brafe, and N'Denié Moronou have found along the way during their exodus Côte d'Ivoire.
Thesis not yet speak of a sustained way from Benin to Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire: "The king sent the Abbeys Behanzin looking for the ivory they were then arrived in Ghana for the mission. They continued their exodus last of Ivory-Coast to settle there permanently. "The Abbeys of onomastics, language and culture are similar to those of their cousins ​​Ashanti, Benin and Togo neighbors.
refsou | The first ancestor of the Abes would Kery-Kery. After the reign Kery-Kery, Attobra his son succeeded him. This was in turn succeeded by his son Kouassan whose successors were Kery-Kery and Abobia Akossou. Model: Sources: archives, publications
It was during the reign of the Abbeys Akossou threatened by their neighbors, and Konogos Ashanti decided to leave Ghana for peaceful lands. Their exodus was led probably to the eighteenth century, Patchibo son of Akossou and Nana Yah Abobia. The Abbeys Tanoé the cross, then stopped and Comoé between Adzopé and Agboville, where Patchibo created Douda village, now called Grand Morié.
Continuing on his way, his people Patchibo install went about fifteen miles from the Agnéby to create the village Allahin known today under the name Loviguié.
From Douda Allahin and the Abbeys drove the Attiés their eastern neighbors. This is what explains the existence of villages Abbeys in the Sub-Prefecture Bingerville.
They also evolved to the West side of the river Bandama. This is what justifies the presence of more than eight villages Abbeys in the Sub-Prefecture Tiassalé.
The story goes that other Abbeys, left the village of Douda, had settled beyond Tiassalé Didas to form the center-west of Ivory Coast. This subgroup Didas made an alliance undeniable, irremovable and immortal nature which is called toukpè which means covenant of peace. This would explain the memory of that ethnic separation. Model: Sources: archives, publications

Kings Abbeys

According to some information, the king Akossou, father and husband Patchibo Nana Yah Abobia was greatly assisted by his stepfather Miezan, village chief Konou in its fight against Konogos and Ashanti.
In return for this help, Miezan request that the succession to the throne Abbey is now devolved from father to son and not from uncle to nephew, as required so that the custom is perpetuated the memory of his daughter. It is since that time that countries Abbey, the son inherits the father.
Thus, the king succeeded his father Ossohou Patchibo, but after his death, the succession was compromised.
Indeed, Akoua queen, the wife of King Ossohou, losing her children shortly after birth, it was decided to ward off misfortune, sell the small N'Takpé for a penny, in accordance with custom. Admittedly, it was made immediately N'Takpé his mother but after changing the name (suggested by a stranger who would Dahomey passing through the village), to be called now Obodji Soboa, which means in Abbey or a ethnicity close Dahomey "current Benin" "pretty boy laying."
When Abbey rebelled against French rule, King Ossohou after really tried to reason with his subjects, took refuge in the camp of the Europeans and their Obodji Soboa offered his son, then aged about 35 years, guide as soldiers. It played his role to the satisfaction of the French, so that after the victory, they named paramount chief of the Abbey.
At the death of King Ossohou, Monso eldest son, who according to the normal order of succession should take place, withdrew in favor of his younger brother, his majesty Obodji Soboa, whose influence as head higher was already certain.
Obodji Soboa accept the throne and had a brilliant start to reign, before sinking.
Indeed, a Knight of the Legion of Honor January 16, 1927 and December 31, 1932 Officer, he was later stripped of his duties in 1944, due to a long illness.
However, his memory is still alive, because of his first shoes, sandals in car tire, known under the name "Abodjé."
During the unavailability of Obodji Soboa, his acting was provided by François M'Bassidjé, the first noticeable in the order of precedence. It is the latter who succeeded Obodji Soboa.
Thus, for the first time in the history of the Abbey, the throne was devoted to a person outside the royal family.
After playing his role as head of Abbey superior to the satisfaction of all, François M'Bassidjé died May 19, 1971.
The estate should have gone to Alexander Gbagba who, during the absence of M'Bassidje had assured his acting, if our independence, it was not decided to end now replacing the deceased chiefs outside of the village chiefs.

The Revolt of 1910

During the colonial period, a revolt of the people laminar Abe in January 1910 (early 1905, late 1918), led to the deportation of more citizens of the ethnic group to the CAR and Congo - Brazzaville. Indeed, tired of the excesses committed by the settlers in the port, forced labor and the injustices they are constantly victims (confiscation of weapons immediately after the payment of heavy taxes required for their transport, arbitrary acts, trampling of human dignity etc..), the Abes revolt. They rolled mercilessly by about 1,400 infantrymen from Senegal not without having to decapitate a French commander named Rubino3.
Three descendants of deportees know by following exceptional destinies:
The Heads of State Jean-Bedel Bokassa, Denis Sassou Nguesso and Ange-Félix Patassé, all from Grand Morié4.
Geostrategic consequences: aid, assistance, brotherhood through direct blood link between these sister countries of Central African Republic, Republic of Congo and Côte d'Ivoire.

The people abbey is reflected in the prefectural departments Agboville Azaguié, Rubino, Grand Morié, Loviguié, Kessiguié, Ottopé, Offoumppo, Grand Yapo, Attobrou, etc. Blida and around Abidjan in the sub-prefecture of N'douci, Tiassalé, Sikensi, Bingerville, Lakota, Divo, around M'Babakro, to Ouelle, Ananda Koidiokro etc.. The country is divided into cantons Abbey are: Tchoffo Township, Township Morié, Township Abbey-Eve (Eve's also in Ghana, Togo and Benin) and the Township kos (Khos) and a sixth subdivision undeniable historically accepted: the Toupkès or Didas the Ega. These people abbey is part of a large group with a total of Akan and all subdivisions just over 1 million people.

After I will make sure the translation from google translate is correct.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab%C3%A9s

Few Abbey people i could find:

Nayanka: 50% Abbey/25%Tuareg/25%Corse

[img]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0002/495/MI0002495170.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/img]

Raymond Tchimou

[img]http://www.ladepechedabidjan.info/photo/art/default/2026114-2802110.jpg?v=1289630102[/img]

In this vid, i believe the darker one is Abbey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGcmOn-PbI

African presidents supposed to be of Abbey descent

Congo
Sassou Nguesso

Central-Africa

Bedel Bokassa

Ange-Felix Patasse
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 01, 2013
Sybellah: Akan Beauties smiley

Her Eyes OhmahGawd <3 Mrs Bells where do you find these Akan Beauties from Yo. kiss
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 01, 2013
Alaura-Laura:

Her Eyes OhmahGawd <3 Mrs Bells where do you find these Akan Beauties from Yo. kiss

that's actually a friend of mine wink
what's up with the Mrs. Bells yo, u r makin me feel very old angry

[img]http://4.bp..com/-FuWilHb-owo/T5ien8PAgDI/AAAAAAAADjU/oclLe31q_xA/s1600/Live-and-Let-Die-Mrs-Bell-Ruth-Kempf.png[/img]
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 01, 2013
Sybellah:

that's actually a friend of mine wink
what's up with the Mrs. Bells yo, u r makin me feel very old angry

ight Bells...No More Mrs. Just Bells. grin

My Niqqah Bells Yo. grin

Maybe Lady Bells Yo....

I dunno yo...

It's the New Years Eve Cocktail Talking Yo. {{{{Mwuaahhzzz}}}

Me Royals love the Cote D'IVoire....

My Ivorian Queens...Ahhhhhhh So Soft, So Brown , So Smooooth. smiley
Re: Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 01, 2013
^^ looolz smh,
Happy New Year Dude, have fun tonight smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (54) (Reply)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / Ònkà Yorùbá: Numbers And Numbering System In Yorùbá / 20 Popular Yoruba Charms And Their Uses(With Direct English Translations)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.