Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,494 members, 7,770,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:41 AM

Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? (17958 Views)

Cars On Google Trader Very Cheap . How Real?? / What Is The Difference Between Pre-ordered Cars From Abroad & Cars From Cotonuo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by emalekuo(m): 12:03am On Dec 24, 2012
I really can't come to terms with the reason behind the cheap car quotes I get from cotonuo dealers compared with that of the lagos based american importers. For example I was told it would cost me 4.4m to get a 2007 acura mdx technology from US lagos cleared and 3.3m in from cotonuo with customs papers,From the little I know 3.3m can only land a very clean 2007 mdx from US excluding clearing and adding clearing you already closing in at 4m. So how is it done in cotonuo that their cars are so cheap?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by cretin: 10:18am On Dec 24, 2012
cotonu cars are not cheap...only the junk/salvage/accidented/high mileage/stolen cars are cheap.

i import cars from the usa and run vin checks for clients all over nigeria....so i come across hundreds of vin reports on a weekly/monthly basis.

all car dealers buy from the same place - usa or canada. then ask urself why the wide margin in price?
lemme give you an example...1 of my client wanted to buy a 4runner....i came across a clean high mileage 4runner [180k miles] listed for 7k dollars...but a clean average mileage 4runner normally hovers around 10k usd......thats a price difference of about 500k naira alone...........n its even lower if its accidented/junk/stolen.

the average car dealer who is corrupt will buy the high mileage 4 runner with 180k miles and then roll back the mileage to between 30k and 70k miles.......and then sell the car cheaper than a normally used 4runner wch should have about 80k to 120k miles if used moderately...
[note: the 4 runner is this case is a 2003 model].........this is just 1 example of their many tricks, another trick is the custom papers.....most cars from cotonu dont hv original custom papers..an example 2008 rav4 costs abt 650k to 700k to clear...depending on the agent...but by going tru cotonu..this same car could be cleared and driven into nigeria with 400k, with incorrect custom papers, thus knocking off more than 200k from the price of the same car with genuie custom papers.....
but you stand the chance of having ur car impounded if you run into custom while driving the car in nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by emalekuo(m): 11:05am On Dec 24, 2012
Thanks a lot because its difficult to convince people about all this.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by madey1302: 11:22am On Dec 24, 2012
cretin: cotonu cars are not cheap...only the junk/salvage/accidented/high mileage/stolen cars are cheap.

i import cars from the usa and run vin checks for clients all over nigeria....so i come across hundreds of vin reports on a weekly/monthly basis.

all car dealers buy from the same place - usa or canada. then ask urself why the wide margin in price?
lemme give you an example...1 of my client wanted to buy a 4runner....i came across a clean high mileage 4runner [180k miles] listed for 7k dollars...but a clean average mileage 4runner normally hovers around 10k usd......thats a price difference of about 500k naira alone...........n its even lower if its accidented/junk/stolen.

the average car dealer who is corrupt will buy the high mileage 4 runner with 180k miles and then roll back the mileage to between 30k and 70k miles.......and then sell the car cheaper than a normally used 4runner wch should have about 80k to 120k miles if used moderately...
[note: the 4 runner is this case is a 2003 model].........this is just 1 example of their many tricks, another trick is the custom papers.....most cars from cotonu dont hv original custom papers..an example 2008 rav4 costs abt 650k to 700k to clear...depending on the agent...but by going tru cotonu..this same car could be cleared and driven into nigeria with 400k, with incorrect custom papers, thus knocking off more than 200k from the price of the same car with genuie custom papers.....
but you stand the chance of having ur car impounded if you run into custom while driving the car in nigeria

I totally disagree with you. I cleared a 2008 rav4 for my uncle well below d 700k and he has bin driving it to and fro passing thru different customs check point on a daily basis. My brother if you involve d right pple I will BOLDLY tell you that getting cars from cotonou is far cheaper.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Uchenna42(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2012
undecidedBecause the are not durable
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by BabaO2: 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
emalekuo: I really can't come to terms with the reason behind the cheap car quotes I get from cotonuo dealers compared with that of the lagos based american importers. For example I was told it would cost me 4.4m to get a 2007 acura mdx technology from US lagos cleared and 3.3m in from cotonuo with customs papers,From the little I know 3.3m can only land a very clean 2007 mdx from US excluding clearing and adding clearing you already closing in at 4m. So how is it done in cotonuo that their cars are so cheap?
greediness in the blood of Nigerians in all spheres.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by vanstanzy(m): 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
EHM! I DONT KNOW... MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by valdubem(m): 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
they re cheap because they re stolen cars.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by babadey(m): 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
How much will toyota pencil light cost from cotonou?
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by HAH: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
The difference may be due to two reasons
1, Cost of freight and other levies, total cost in Nigeria of freight and other levies is almost double to that of cotonou

2, Nigerian men with greed and get rich quick mentality.

Shikena

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Morgan1092(m): 1:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
Uchenna42: undecidedBecause the are not durable
Wht do u knw abt cars?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Francheezy(m): 1:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Sunymoore(m): 1:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
1. Import Tax on Automobiles in Cotonou is far cheaper than in Lagos
2. Most clearing agents in cotonou use fake custom papers and smuggle the cars into Nigeria.
3. Cotonou Carlot owners are not as greedy as their Nigerian contemporaries.
4. The fluctuation marginal difference occasioned by foreign exchange plays a role.
5. Most Cotonou imports are flood and/or salvaged
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Melancholy(m): 1:40pm On Dec 24, 2012
I guess the dumping of goods is in that country is speaking.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by smsmoney(m): 1:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
If you ever want to buy a car from Cotonou,deal with well known and trusted dealers.
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Adufaye(m): 1:48pm On Dec 24, 2012
kip it cumin,cnt wait 2 knw mor
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by xreal: 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
where is Tadeus, Ademlabi and co?
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by mosunade(f): 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
less duty paid in Rep of Benin
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
subscribing...

Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by JamesLucia: 2:14pm On Dec 24, 2012
hahahahahahahahhaha nigerianhero so cotonou ppl are xmas chicken? hahaha
nigerianhero: [size=18pt]ask cotonou people[/size]
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by YOUNGKAHUNA: 2:15pm On Dec 24, 2012
Morgan1092: Wht do u knw abt cars?

Nothing I Guess
Re: Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? by Arcard(m): 2:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
nigerianhero: [size=18pt]ask cotonou people[/size]
hmmm z da ur family picture

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Pros And Cons Of Buying A New Car For Now(for you to Be Financially Conscious) / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.