Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 (3346 Views)

Southampton Vs Arsenal (4 - 0) On 26th December 2015 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 12th September 2015 / Manchester City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) ON 25th August 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 8:49am On Dec 24, 2012
Stoke striker Michael Owen could make his first-team comeback against his old club when Liverpool visit the Britannia Stadium on Boxing Day.

Owen, who has not played for the Potters since October 27 due a hamstring problem, has been working on his fitness and may be ready to feature in the 7.45pm Barclays Premier League kick-off.

Owen has plenty of happy memories from his time at Liverpool, but does not look back too fondly on the occasions he has played against them.

The former England international enjoyed the most prolific days of his career at Liverpool, where he came through the youth ranks.

Since leaving the Reds in 2004 though, he has failed to score a single goal against them and Owen admits he has rarely had much fun when being on the opposing team.

The 33-year-old will be hoping the trend changes when the Potters host Liverpool.

Owen - who departed Anfield for Real Madrid and moved on to Newcastle and Manchester United before joining Stoke this season - told Independent Sports News: ``It is a strange feeling really playing against your old club, especially one where you were there for around 15 years.

``Liverpool are a big part of my life and career and I had some of the best times of my life at the club.

``So certainly I have happy memories. I have not been so happy playing against them since; I have never scored and not particularly enjoyed it.''

It remains to be seen whether or not another former Red, midfielder Charlie Adam, will be involved after he missed Saturday's 0-0 draw at Tottenham having been granted compassionate leave following the death of his father.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has no new injury problems.

Winger Raheem Sterling may come back into the side having been rested for the victory over Fulham.

Midfielder Joe Allen, however, may remain on the bench as Rodgers said they were managing a pelvic problem with the Wales international.

Winger Stewart Downing is set to play again and admits Rodgers telling him he could leave provided a ``kick up the backside''.

He insists he never wanted to move on but the message from the Northern Irishman meant he had to start seriously considering he may not have a future at Anfield.

Downing was left confused and surprised by his continued absence from the first team - hinting that the decision had not been made on football grounds.

``I wanted to stay, I didn't want to leave but it was out of my hands,'' said the 28-year-old.

``I was out of the team and frustrated and I said if something big came up I'd look at it.

``We had that conversation and, to be honest, I thought I was on my way in January.

``I was a little bit surprised when he (Rodgers) said I could go. ''He came in and was pleased with me at the start and then all of a sudden things changed quickly and I could go.

``I don't know who makes that decision but one minute I was being told I was doing well and the next I was told I could go. It was a bit confusing.

``But it is a kick up the backside. I then had nothing to lose as I was going.

``If it was a gee-up for me then maybe it's worked because the performances are coming now.''

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345681/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 2:08pm On Dec 24, 2012
Eighth meets ninth in the final Premier
League game on Boxing day as Liverpool
travel to Stoke.
travel to Stoke.
Liverpool go into the game buoyed by their
thumping 4-0 win over Fulham as they
bounced back from their shock defeat to
Aston Villa in style.
Stoke also picked up an impressive point at
Tottenham after securing their ninth clean
sheet of the campaign in the stalemate at
White Hart Lane.
The Potters enjoy a fine home record
against Liverpool and they will be looking to
extend their current eight game unbeaten
run in the Premier League.
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 2:09pm On Dec 24, 2012
travel to Stoke.
travel to Stoke.
Liverpool go into the game buoyed by their
thumping 4-0 win over Fulham as they
bounced back from their shock defeat to
Aston Villa in style.
Stoke also picked up an impressive point at
Tottenham after securing their ninth clean
sheet of the campaign in the stalemate at
White Hart Lane.
The Potters enjoy a fine home record
against Liverpool and they will be looking to
extend their current eight game unbeaten
run in the Premier League..... Source - skysport
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 9:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Stoke City v Liverpool: match
preview
Back in the fold: Raheem Sterling, rested
against Fulham, could return for Liverpool at
Stoke
Picture: ACTION IMAGES
Read a full match preview of the Premier
League game between Stoke City and
Liverpool at the Britannia Stadium on
Wednesday Dec 26 2012, kick-off 19.45 GMT.
Wednesday, December 26
Stoke City v Liverpool
Britannia Stadium
Kick-off : 19.45 GMT.
TV: Highlights, BBC ONE Match of the Day.
Stoke (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Begovic; Cameron,
Huth, Shawcross, Wilkinson; Shotton,
Whelan, Nzonzi, Etherington; Walters; Jones.
Out: Adam (compassionate leave), Delap
(hernia), Wilson (ankle).
Test: Owen (match fitness).
Liverpool (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Reina;
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique; Gerrard,
Lucas; Sterling, Shelvey, Dowining; Suárez.
Out: Assaidi (knee), Borini (foot), Kelly (knee).
Referee: Howard Webb (Matches 13, R2
Y48).
Team News
Stoke striker Michael Owen could make his
first-team comeback against his old club.
Owen, who has not played for the Potters
since Oct 27 due a hamstring problem, has
been working on his fitness and may be
ready to feature in the 7.45pm Premier
League kick-off. It remains to be seen
whether or not another former Red,
midfielder Charlie Adam, will be involved
after he missed Saturday's 0-0 draw at
Tottenham having been granted
compassionate leave following the death of
his father.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has no
new injury problems to contend with and is
unlikely to make any changes. Winger
Raheem Sterling may come back into the
side having been rested for the victory over
Fulham. Midfielder Joe Allen, however, may
remain on the bench as Rodgers said they
were managing a pelvic problem with the
Wales international.
Match Notes
Predicting results from Liverpool this season
is proving a thankless task, but trips to the
Britannia Stadium have frequently been
arduous, regardless of the manager or
personnel. Stoke have never lost a league
game at home to Liverpool since their
promotion. The presence of Luis Suárez will
represent an intriguing subplot, after Tony
Pulis attacked his alleged diving during the
0-0 draw at Anfield in October.
Betting: Home 23-10, Away 5-4, Draw 11-5.
Stat of the game: Stoke are unbeaten in 15
home league games, their best top-flight
sequence for 38 years.
John Percy's prediction: Stoke 2 Liverpool
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by hurricaneChris: 2:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
I greet all kops in d room sitting at. Kop end of famous Anfield jus beside d gates of great Bill Shanks.

The last 4 league meetinz btw these two side hav ended in goalez drws, while d last Liverpool player to score a league goal at d brittinia was Sotoris Krygiakos.

Just like Martin Skrtel rightly said; "the game against Stoke is not all abt football, it's abt strength and tackles" I xpect anoda tough nite for the reds again.

If Stoke play d way they played in Anfield, I see at least three of dia players on red cad.

Our confidnce is high after bashing fulham 4-0 last wkend. But ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ not gonna use dt match as a yardstick for tonites match.

Suarez scored on his liverpool debut against stoke in february last year, and has gone on to score anoda 3goals includin 2 in d carling cup last season. I also see him scoring a brace again tonite, while agger wil score our 3rd goal

M̶̲̅Ɣ prediction: 1-3(Suarez and Agger)

Let's walk with hope in our hearts, YNWA!!!
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by funkymedina: 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2012
Can I finally say 2nd to comment? or you will say i am agbaya!

Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by sharpshap(m): 3:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
Stoke city always full off suprises! Liverpool watchout!
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
::::::::::::::::URGENTLY NEEDED::::::::::: if you have a dstv for sale & you live in abuja pls call 08189755594......it's urgently needed
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
to be candid it will not be easy for liverpool.. I pray we win this match
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by IYANGBALI: 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kennethmomoh: ::::::::::::::::URGENTLY NEEDED::::::::::: if you have a dstv for sale & you live in abuja pls call 08189755594......it's urgently needed
what is dstv?
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by mukina2: 10:25pm On Dec 26, 2012
liverpool nor be team at all

3 -1
scores so far

good thing i nor waste my time to watch it grin
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Afam4eva(m): 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2012
This liverpool is cursed oo

See the kind of teams that they're losing to by such margin...Tufiakwa

I don't think they're even among the premiership big 4 clubs anymore. Man city has displaced them.
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Dee60: 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2012
STOKE must be playing ex-Rugby players. You cant beat them at home. Too physical!
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 26, 2012
Dee60: STOKE must be playing ex-Rugby players. You cant beat them at home. Too physical!

Seconded. But Stoke's physical play has ensured that they've remained in the Premier League for 5 consecutive seasons. Hats off to Tony Pulis.
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by luvola(m): 11:26pm On Dec 26, 2012
@ mukina - we accepted that we bleeped up but your arsenal too na mumu club...no trophy for almost 8years... Those stoke city player were just too rough.. Make arsenal winger kon take pepe reina frm liverpool because he is a flop... Na only luiz suarez i just dey pity for that club..suarez likely to be in chelsea by the end of season... Breden rodger is a middle coach not a world class coach at all .. Now he can signed another flop player sturridge...
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by RedLight1: 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
choi, looserpool na team abi sunwo nina grin
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by toshmann(m): 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
We Never Walk Alone cool
our time will come

1 Like

Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by charlesjuve(m): 2:36am On Dec 27, 2012
Wat do u xpect, wen u play 1 of europe's meanest defence. Come on guys. 8 games unbeaten aint a joke.
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 27, 2012
only one page 4 dz match as if harmattan they catch them
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by isaco(m): 8:32am On Dec 27, 2012
luvola: @ mukina - we accepted that we bleeped up but your arsenal too na mumu club...no trophy for almost 8years... Those stoke city player were just too rough.. Make arsenal winger kon take pepe reina frm liverpool because he is a flop... Na only luiz suarez i just dey pity for that club..suarez likely to be in chelsea by the end of season... Breden rodger is a middle coach not a world class coach at all .. Now he can signed another flop player sturridge...
can u conpare liverpool with arsenal in d past five years, liverpool is not among Euro champion over years now while arsenal remain among d champions. The top 16 club dis season arsenal is still among while liverpool is not n only dwell in its past glory. The worst result arsenal got dis season against stoke is draw not your yeye disgraceful 3 1. Check table and see your position. If not capital one cup liverpool wouldn't have qualified for UEFA
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by drumosbite: 9:10am On Dec 27, 2012
Liverpool lose them start to curse arsenal....
Na wa Oº°˚˚°ºº°˚˚°ºO, make una leave our precious arsenal alone pppplllllllsssssss.
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by ib4real95(m): 10:22am On Dec 27, 2012
this liverpool no be team abeg; imagine 3:1. Mtsheeew
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by ib4real95(m): 10:23am On Dec 27, 2012
:othis liverpool no be team abeg; imagine 3:1. Mtsheeew
Re: Stoke City Vs Liverpool (3 - 1) On 26th December 2012 by Pamperme: 2:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
Ha! Liverpool.... embarassed embarassed embarassed

One week, we are happy...
The next 3 weeks, we are lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

My Top 5 Football Celebrities Look Alike (part 1) / UCL Semi: Lyon Vs Bayern Munich [0 - 3] on Tuesday, 27th April / Which Of Them Is The Best In Term Of Dribbling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.