Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank (22481 Views)

N10M Ransom Paid For Okonjo-Iweala’s Mother - Vanguard / How Okonjo-Iweala's Mother Escaped From Kidnappers - Police / Kidnappers Of Okonjo-iweala's Mother Demand $1Billion Ransom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Maxymilliano(m): 5:58am On Dec 25, 2012
SSS nabs Okonjo’s abductors in bank…..

Suspects arrested with N15m marked money

Family paid N40m ransom

Operatives of the State Security Service, SSS, have arrested six of the abductors of Prof. Keneme Okonjo, mother of the Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala.

Okonjo, wife of the Obi of Ogwuashi-Ukwu, Prof. Chukwuka Okonjo, was kidnapped on December 9, 2012 at the palace of the traditional ruler.

However, through concerted efforts of the combined security agencies in the country, the victim was released on December 14.

But in a bid to unravel those behind the kidnapping, arrests were made by the police, Army and men of the SSS.

Last week, 63 of the suspects earlier arrested by the Army were released unconditionally when their culpability could not be established.

A competent source at the SSS told National Mirror yesterday that six of the real suspects had eventually been arrested in Asaba, Delta State, and might be flown to Abuja today.

The source also confirmed that a N40m ransom was actually paid for the release of the 82-year- old retired professor of Sociology.

Explaining how the suspects were arrested, the source said: “The N40m, which was paid to the kidnappers was marked money from the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.

“What happened was that the money was paid on Wednesday by our men and by Thursday, two persons had gone to the Nebisi Road branch of an old generation bank to deposit N15m out of the money.

Because it was marked money, they were promptly arrested. “Our men were able to track four of the kidnappers with the aid of thetwo persons. Right now, we are on the trail of the remaining four suspects.

“The six suspects are supposed to be brought to Abuja tomorrow (today) to face further interrogation.”

Asked why the operatives were not able to arrest the suspects the time they came for the money, the source explained: “Don’t forget that as at that time the woman was still with the kidnappers and they could decide to kill her if they suspect anything phony. “Our major concern then was to ensure that the woman regained her freedom and was not harmed in any way.

In fact, that was the point the minister kept hammering to us. “She said that we should do everything possible to secure her mother alive, even if it meant paying whatever ransom the kidnappers asked for.

“If you know how this is done, once they came for the money, we knew that the game was up for them. We knew that we must get them unless they would not spend that money in Nigeria.”

Okonjo-Iweala had shortly after her mother release said that the abductors were unhappy with the administration of the fuel subsidy and SURE-P programmes.

Okonjo-Iweala, who had recounted what her mother told the family after her ‘miraculous’ escape from the den of the dare-devil abductors, said: “I can’t give all the details because we don’t want to compromise ongoing investigations. “But I can tell you one thing: My mother suffered a great deal during this ordeal.

It was only the Almighty God that rescued her from a situation that could very easily have ended tragically. “Apart from the emotional trauma of being violently taken away from her family and kept incommunicado for five days in a strange environment, a woman of 83 years was left without food for five days. “We give glory to God that she is alive today to tell the tale.

While she was in their custody, the kidnappers spent much of the time harassing her.

They told her that I must get on the radio and television and announce my resignation. “When she asked why, they told her it was because I did not pay oil subsidy money. They also said I had blocked payment of money to certain components of the SURE-P programme.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/sss-nabs-okonjos-abductors-in-bank

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:39am On Dec 25, 2012
Good News
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by RickyRoss1(m): 6:43am On Dec 25, 2012
Fantastic news if you ask me. I hope they execute those cowards alive. They dont deserve to live in our midst.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Maxymilliano(m): 7:13am On Dec 25, 2012
Thought the whole kidnapping saga was said to be about subsidy/sure-P issue but the unintelligent kidnappers have shown that it is about money...

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by confusion247(m): 7:16am On Dec 25, 2012
Ricky_Ross: Fantastic news if you ask me. I hope they execute those cowards alive. They dont deserve to live in our midst.
I think federal government should dialogue with kidnappers as they are doing with boko haram. I still prefer a kidnapper to visit me than for a boko haram to visit me. Too bad, criminals will have the opportunity to visit abuja via alabaraka airline without paying a dime.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 25, 2012
okonjoli's mother looks YOUNGER than her sha

Great Queenfab news

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Super1759: 7:24am On Dec 25, 2012
I give it to sss. That was a smart move to checkmate the foools

But I still don't believe this edited news completely, I don't trust our media anymore

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Super1759: 7:28am On Dec 25, 2012
confusion247:
I think federal government should dialogue with kidnappers as they are doing with boko haram. I still prefer a kidnapper to visit me than for a boko haram to visit me. Too bad, criminals will have the opportunity to visit abuja via alabaraka airline without paying a dime.
How did you come to this? Who and where did you get the information from?
If they are to dialgoue,is it on what ground?

You will as well dialogue with rats in your house, rapists and drug addicts

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by ba7man(m): 7:59am On Dec 25, 2012
confusion247:
What kind of statement is this?? Pls, don't say it again.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by fkaz(m): 8:15am On Dec 25, 2012
So she payed 40m
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 25, 2012
I propose a Firing Squad!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by edoyad(m): 8:26am On Dec 25, 2012
If they keep revealing how they operate, aren't the sss guys only teaching the criminals how not to do it next time?
And how the hell is Shekau still a free man if the sss really want him arrested?

11 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Standing5(m): 8:33am On Dec 25, 2012
And if i may ask, how were they able to record or capture the ID of the some supposedly random customer who deposited 15m in a branch of a old generation? Through the marked notes just like that?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by maclatunji: 8:38am On Dec 25, 2012
Interesting- I hope they can work harder to prevent these crimes from happening in the first place.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Ngwakwe: 8:46am On Dec 25, 2012
.:
Asked why the operatives were not able to arrest the suspects the time they came for the money, the source explained: “Don’t forget that as at that time the woman was still with the kidnappers and they could decide to kill her if they suspect anything phony. “Our major concern then was to ensure that the woman regained her freedom and was not harmed in any way.

In fact, that was the point the minister kept hammering to us. “She said that we should do everything possible to secure her mother alive, even if it meant paying whatever ransom the kidnappers asked for.

Na so I love my mother, wife and Children.

Please Kidnappers, as I no get N40 Million make una leave Southern Nigeria go Abuja where dem de share the money, they no work for

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by abbeycial: 8:50am On Dec 25, 2012
I hope dis info is true...kinda doubt d authencity of d whole sss bravado.
nd as for d empty nut sack kidnappers, pls give ur lyf to christ.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by duni04(m): 8:55am On Dec 25, 2012
confusion247:
Dialogue with kidnappers? U must b from bayelsa state. U guys from bayelsa have a wrapped up sense of right and wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Ngwakwe: 9:03am On Dec 25, 2012
Kidnapping should be dissuaded by all means even if entails life imprisonment or any other capital punishment.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Ngwakwe: 9:03am On Dec 25, 2012
Bros, why stereotyping every person from Bayelsa as m.oron because of a misguided statement from a Nairalander.

Please delete this your remark

duni04:
Dialogue with kidnappers? U must b from bayelsa state. U guys from bayelsa have a wrapped up sense of right and wrong.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Idokojimmy: 9:06am On Dec 25, 2012
These secret Olokpa People get sense. Their Operation appears to be more cordinated and result oriented. Good one
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by GARRIx7(m): 9:18am On Dec 25, 2012
Good news.

I hope the allegations by Okonjo that the kidnap was sponsored by aggrieved marketers is thoroughly investigated and those found culpable, arrested and prosecuted. If investigations reveal otherwise, then she should tender an unreserved apology to all oil marketers as well as all Nigerians for LYING..

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Iykopee(m): 9:20am On Dec 25, 2012
first it was 10million, now its 40million.....are they taking us for a ride?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by jamace(m): 9:31am On Dec 25, 2012
A step in the right direction.

Next, I want to hear that they are under prosecution. If they were sponsored by oil markers, as alleged, the oil marketers should be in jail soonest.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by lacasa: 9:39am On Dec 25, 2012
First it was 10million, now 40million undecided

B4 it was 62 suspects now It is 6suspects wt marked bills

Y does this govt take nigerians as dunces?

Ђδω on earth will i as a kidnapper, veteran one at that, kidnap a high profile target Such as a sitting minister's mother, collect the ransom neatly, then i'ld make such an amateurish move as Lodging it in a bank?.

Now, let me ask the SSS y do they think Kidnappping is only 2nd to bunkering in Nigeria today?.

Do they think ds kidnappers r students or touts that smoke weed n look rough

This kidnapping tin is like the italian mafia, its a syndicate, and they r more intellectual and sophisticated than they think and dats y they cannot handle them

This is pure PR by the FG to save face after goin tru d embarassment of the NOI/Sylvanus saga where their incompetence was crystal clear for the world to see

16 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by mavtrevor(m): 9:48am On Dec 25, 2012
SO now the truth is coming out on the ransom sum... naija security agencies are playing with us all...
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 25, 2012
If i were d kidnepers,i wud hav dmanded 4 d whole of nigeria's foreign reserve,d kidnepers were not smart in thier demand
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by emmatok(m): 9:56am On Dec 25, 2012
So money was paid, why the denial in the first place.
And why are the SSS operators talking when they are yet to arrest all the suspects.
The story get as e be o.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 25, 2012
confusion247:

It's all in your name

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by Timileyin(m): 10:02am On Dec 25, 2012
i thought they said they did not pay any money
Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by BE811APP: 10:06am On Dec 25, 2012
Soooo Money was paid....
Police are liars....
So CBN gave out d Ransome money??
Kai....
9ja I hail thee.....
Jonathan na u Biko....
#kidnapping Biz on my mind!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala's Mother's Kidnapper Arrested In Bank by JaaizTech: 10:09am On Dec 25, 2012
I have always wondered why a method such as this was not being employed in the Kidnap cases. I guess, our security agents know how to do their Job, when they really want to .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fresh Monumental Fraud Exposed In NNPC, Customs, NPA & Others - Nigerian Pilot / Shockwaves In Ambode’s Camp Over Tinubu’s ‘direct Primaries’ Stance / Babachir Lawal To Igbos: You Marginalised Yourselves, Stop Blaming Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.