Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. (13971 Views)

Ebola Scare:2 Feared Dead,20 Others Hospitalised Over Excessive Salt Consumption / Boko Haram: Ohanaeze Evacuates 500,000 Igbo From Kano / Nchara (the Pathetic Soul) is Even Bigoted Towards Igbo (From Anambra) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by EkoIle1: 7:28am On Dec 25, 2012
Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip

Posted By On December 24, 2012 @ 2:16 pm In Metro,News,Today's Headlines | 7 Comments

The fear of kidnappers is the beginning of wisdom for many Igbo residents in Lagos as many have refused to travel to their hometowns in the East for the Yuletide.

Investigations conducted by P.M.NEWS at various motor parks in Lagos revealed that apart from kidnapping, other reasons cited by transporters and passengers alike for the low patronage at the motor parks, were high fares, bad roads and armed robbery attacks.

IN THE SIPRIT OF THE SEASON…Shoppers at last-minute buying at Yaba Market this morning. Photo…Idowu Ogunleye[b]

Many of the Igbo travellers interviewed blamed their inability to travel home for Christmas and the New Year on the spate of kidnappings in the East.[/b]

A unionist at the Ojota Motor Park, Kola Balogun, wondered why many are not travelling to their hometowns for Christmas this year.

He said it had taken more than four hours to load a bus going to Akure, Ondo State. Apart from the high fare which is now N2,000 from the previous N1,200, he blamed bad roads and the fear of armed robbery attacks as being responsible for the low patronage.

A visit to luxury bus motor parks located at Jibowu, Yaba, Ejigbo, Ikotun, Igando and Alimosho, mostly patronised by Igbo travellers, also revealed low patronage.

The situation was so bad that luxury bus operators were forced to reduce transport fares today (Monday), Christmas eve, that was supposed to be the peak of business for them.

At Ekene Dili Chukwu Motors, Jibowu, fare was reduced from N7,000 to N6,000 and to N5,000 for luxury buses while N5,000 instead of N5,500 was charged for mini bus going to the East.

Similarly, at the Ifesinachi Motor Park, the fare was reduced from N7,000 to N6,000 for a journey to Onitsha, Enugu, Owerri in aluxury bus.

At Peace Motors, Yaba, the fare to Onitsha was reduced from N5,500 to N5,000 this morning for a journey to Onitsha in a mini bus. At Chisco Motors, Yaba, the few travellers found there were made to pay N6,000 for luxury bus and N5,000 for mini bus.

Also at Edyson Motors which has parks at Ejigbo, Igando, Ikotun, Alimosho, was told that the fare was reduced to N5,000 per passenger to attract more passengers.

Ejike Madu, a manager with Peace Motors, Yaba said transporters were forced to reduce their fares because of low patronage.

He noted: “People are reluctant to travel. Things are very hard and this is responsible for the considerable drop in the number of passengers travelling to the East. Most passenger are also afraid of the men of the underworld. They are afraid of kidnappers.”

In his own opinion, a manager with Chisco Motors, Chidi Cletus, observed that big men were afraid of travelling to the East with members of their families because of fear of kidnappers.

“Also, the middle-level earners who would have filled the gap are suffering from economic hardship. Economic depression has affected many businesses,” Chidi said.

A traveller, Martin Ndukwe identified three reasons for the low turn out of passengers at the parks. They include kidnapping, bad roads and armed robbery attacks.

P.M.NEWS checks at the Pen Cinema, Agege, Lagos Inter State Motor Park revealed that there were fewer travellers today because of high transport fares.

For example, a transporter at the park, Abiodun Falade, claimed that because of the poor patronage, transporters were forced to reduce the fare from N1,000 to N800 on the Lagos-Ibadan route in the morning, adding that it was back to N1,000 at mid-day.

However, another transporter, Temitope Idowu said the fare on Lagos-Ibadan route was increased from N800 to N1,000 while Lagos-Ilesha fare that attracted N1,400 before now goes for N2,000 per head.

He said: “People are not travelling because they don’t have the money. But people who have social engagements like wedding, burial or other ceremonies to attend in their home towns are still travelling despite the high fares.”

An Osun State bound traveller, Odunola Kofowora, a civil servant at the Governor’s Office, Osogbo, said apart from the high fares, many people are not travelling at Christmas time because of the fear of motor accidents which are rampant during the yuletide season.

“Travelling to the north is highly risky. I cannot risk my life by travelling to the north at this period. Despite the slight increase in transport fare, drivers here charge between N800 and N1,000 for a journey from Lagos to Ibadan as against N800 before.

“For Lagos-Ilesha, they charge N2,000 instead of the former N1,400 fare. But a few people who have social engagements are still travelling,” she said.

Apart from the high fare, Odunola said the motor parks were bound to record poor patronage of passengers going to Osun because of the free train ride provided for Osun State-bound passengers by the state governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.

She explained that thousands of travellers going to Osun State were willing to take advantage of the free train ride to and from the state rather than pay high fare at the motor parks.

—Cyriacus Izuekwe & Ayodeji Dedeigbo

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/24/kidnappers-scare-igbo-from-xmas-trip/print/
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Ngwakwe: 8:09am On Dec 25, 2012

1 Like

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Abagworo(m): 8:43am On Dec 25, 2012
Eko Ile:
A unionist at the Ojota Motor Park, Kola
Balogun, wondered why many are not travelling
to their hometowns for Christmas this year.
He said it had taken more than four hours to
load a bus going to Akure, Ondo State.
Apart
from the high fare which is now N2,000 from the
previous N1,200, he blamed bad roads and the
fear of armed robbery attacks as being
responsible for the low patronage.
[/b]

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/24/kidnappers-scare-igbo-from-xmas-trip/print/

I never knew Akure is in the East.

22 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by meforkene(m): 9:56am On Dec 25, 2012
Op mechie onu gi.Anybody that doesn't come back has reasons.mainly financial..u think the kidnappers act randomly?

1 Like

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 25, 2012
@op, I hope you and your cabal don't take this your disgusting attitude into the new year

1 Like

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by eaglechild: 10:01am On Dec 25, 2012
Merry Christmas!
May the spirit of Christmas cleanse us of all tribalistic threads and grant the mods the heart to resist putting it on the frontpage, at least for today.
Thank God for granting me and my family including all my extended family who have travelled from different places including outside the country to the village, journey mercies.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Mpetempe(m): 10:02am On Dec 25, 2012
Gossip gossip
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by lacasa: 10:11am On Dec 25, 2012
The fear of kidnappers is the begining of wisdom (esp where money is involvedd) grin
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Beync(f): 10:14am On Dec 25, 2012
who is this ignoramus of a press or journalist with lopsided news?
You must be a die hard bigot trying hard to rubbish people who are far more better than you are.
Low life
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by greall1: 10:15am On Dec 25, 2012
lol
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by ANYPEN(m): 10:18am On Dec 25, 2012
In a litmus test, it turns red when it’s acid and blue when it’s base; either ways, the paper must get wet.
If MASSOB assures the Igbos of security when they come home for X-mass and kidnappers keep threatening citizens of continuous kidnapping; either ways, citizens at home must pay hugely, either for security or for ransom.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by simdam500(m): 10:19am On Dec 25, 2012
Ok o. *no much comment* part of my new year resolution*
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by RickyRoss1(m): 10:20am On Dec 25, 2012
The OP is a bigoted MUGU, her mates are getting married and all she do is spend 90% of her life on nairaland gossiping and trash talking anyone who is not yorober or Ghanaian.

Anyway, we are all in IGBOLAND for Xmas and no one has been kidnapped so far...
Besides, security is in our hands. Most guys that gets kidnapped are partly cause of their problems. if you go home and start boasting how fat your bank account is then even your best friend could set you up. Mind where you go, don't go to the same joints over and over again. Don't go out alone in the night, when guys come to beg for money start telling them stories, tell me your containers were sized and yet to be released.

My village is very safe, no kind of armed robbery for several years now. The bad boys used to disturb a lot and we did underground plan for them. We killed and buried the 3 robbers we caught, and since then we sleep with both eyes closed. So it all depends on where you come from. There are some villages where you have to shine your eyes very well.

3 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Ekans: 10:22am On Dec 25, 2012
Kidnapping in the south east has taken a big toll on igbos,why not Aluu any certified kidnapper?
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by 222Martins(m): 10:23am On Dec 25, 2012
Abagworo:

My thoughts exactly.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 25, 2012
The OP should've added a pint of professionalism by visiting the airports or any of the roads to the east before this totally lopsided report. Lol.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Torch1(m): 10:24am On Dec 25, 2012
Abagworo:

lol.. Same with me! Akure Ondo is now AlaIgbo or is it because it isnt ACN state?
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by ceejay80s(m): 10:29am On Dec 25, 2012
Dnt mind dem, na all lies, people refuse to travel becos transportation from lagos to the east is to expensive, dem come use style wan blame kidnappers, na poor people kidnappers dey find? What about those with private cars? Their fare is terribly much, 7k per head, if na poor man wey get 4-5 kids +his wife and himself, how much will dey spend? And i tell u that money no go carry u reach ur village o! Na b4 onitsha or after onitsha dem go stop and u look for anoda cab, its so unfair. people no gree travel, even me calculate the money and i changed my mind say i no travel again, dem wan blame innocent kidnappers
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by gidiMonsta(m): 10:30am On Dec 25, 2012
This is not about being tribalistic or not, a lot of Igbos did not travel for xmas this year. Instead of you lots to address this issue head on, you're busy throwing tantrums about tribalism here and there.

4 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Ngwakwe: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2012
Do you think lying will solve the problem? Anyway stay safe.

Ricky_Ross: when guys come to beg for money start telling them stories, tell me your containers were sized and yet to be released.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by hurricaneChris: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2012
This shows hw steewpid some journalists could be. So kidnappers are nw after people who travel to village by public buses?

This poster also shows hw cluelez he is. ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ sure he believed this gibberish from a hungry journalist that's y he posted it here.

Go to d airport and see hw many igbos who ar travelling even in spite of ur so called kidnappers. Those ar the ones who shld av been scared of travellin yet they flock d airport everyday headin to d east.

2 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Dec 25, 2012
gidiMonsta: This is not about being tribalistic or not, a lot of Igbos did not travel for xmas this year. Instead of you lots to address this issue head on, you're busy throwing tantrums about tribalism here and there.
Will you keep quiet...

From the article, it's obvious that it's a general trend. That's why Akure, Ondo was cited in the article. The writer focused on Igbos because we all know Igbos are the ones who usually travel home in large numbers. A lot of people i know traveled home.

Btw, the mods have started their tribalistic ways this new year. I don't see why tribalistic topic opened by the likes of ekoile and Aishatu should make the frontpage.

5 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by ceejay80s(m): 10:36am On Dec 25, 2012
Make i no hear say na bad roads again, becos from january to november people dey travel through same road but when e reach december, dem go blame bad road, transportation to the east no suppose pass 3k
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by ba7man(m): 10:39am On Dec 25, 2012
Something drastic has to be done about these kidnappers. Like a public torture to the ones caught till death shown live on TV to pass a message to upcoming ones. I know its babaric but sometimes, some Nigerians make me feel u can't b civil in dealing with them. And continuous re-broadcasting to reinforce the consequences of that action....followed by the evening news.
Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 25, 2012
Whether you guys want to paper over it or not...the fear and chances of getting kidnapped has kept many Ibos from going home for Xmas ...you may deny it as much as you want ..but obviously it's a reason and a genuine one at that...

Make una keep asking about Fashola achievements while leaving your ancestral places to be ravaged by sons of the devil

4 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Sealeddeal(m): 11:09am On Dec 25, 2012
If you enter east now,u will not notice that some people have not yet returned.

1 Like

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by aljharem(m): 11:13am On Dec 25, 2012
That explains the traffic of yesterday. Normally, Lagos road are free during this period but this year we have traffic everywhere angry.

I hope the commissioner of police and Minister of transport address this issue. This is the only time we Lagosians actually enjoy lagos and are free from all the shouting and fighting of Lagos streets.

I hope this is just a one off angry I really hope it is a one off.

2 Likes

Re: Kidnappers Scare Igbo From Xmas Trip. by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 25, 2012
^^^ you are right ..Lagos is always saner once these Iboz evacuate to their villages in December but this year most of them have simply refused to leave the relatively safety of west that they so much love to loathe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Governor El-Rufai queue to Cast his votes at his polling unit in Kaduna / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday / Niger Deports 3,000 Nigerians, Including Refugees Fleeing Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.