Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:41 PM

Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. (10463 Views)

Air Force Corporal Slaps CSP Thrice At Lagos Airport / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest / Boko Haram's `Accountant’ Arrested With N4.5m Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by KokoBeware: 1:31pm On Dec 25, 2012
Knowledge9000: If you declare, problem. If you refuse to declare, problem. What do you need my friend? Forget about all these lies about Bureau de change receipt and bank slip nonsense...they will ask for more. No be Naija we dey. They just want to cut share from it.

What do you think the Gentleman is taking such amount of money to China for if not for business? Who is so foolish to launder money to China...for what if not business.

Now, you people have to understand that, in Nigeria today, it is difficult to wire huge amount of money, virtually impossible and the limit for private individual from personal accounts is $10,000 a day( CBN stipulated this well over 7 yrs ago)except you have to open up a business/commercial account to wire more but still has limit and rigorous application for approval . [b]The Gentleman figured out that as an individual with personal account,
wiring upwards of $400,000 will take well over 80-90 days( 3 months) including wire downtime as wire takes at least 2-3 days and non working days(weekends & holidays). So he decided to do this and many business men/women going to China and Qatar do this.[/b]

Are you seriously saying it makes sense to carry that amount in cash across the border...without prooving the source of the cash??.... the fact that the authorities have not been doing the right thing since or that many people do it (in nigeria) dos not make it right.

doing buisiness of over $400,000 with a personal account dos it make any sense to you??

Our banking sector has evolved greatly its not as it used to be before... all am saying is there are better, safer and easier ways of spending $400,000 in china that carrying it in cash.... We shloud be hailing the authorities for this new wave; am very someone or something has changed in that department cos they seemed to have sat up recently....
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by justwise(m): 1:36pm On Dec 25, 2012
olas2u:
The exchange is done through mallams,its difficult to access foreign exchange through the banks in Nigeria,mallams only stamp the money and issue the receipts.well i get you.The bank rations the amount of exchange you can get from them.

Its his responsibility to make sure that he gets receipt either from mallam or the bank for any exchange, even if there is no receipt how about his bank statement?

Tell me this...if you are an immigration officer at the airport will you allow somebody carrying N71M cash to pass through without any explanation? He could have made the money through kidnapping, armed robbery or running away with his company's money. Do you think its ok to allow he go without any documentation?
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by kunletoks(m): 1:39pm On Dec 25, 2012
Eleda ma sun oooo
Ordinary #7,000 for me na big money.
God dey sa.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Originalsly: 1:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
Try taking US$20:000 cash out of the US without clearance....... you will end up in jail. Why is the guy so secretive about the source? That money is not clean. Am more concerned about why would the PR person broadcast the man's name and passport #? Doesn't she know about identity theft?

1 Like

Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Revolva(m): 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2012
71 Milla ol boy that na hard moullah !!! Shey na crime to get money again they should know he is going to asia for business
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by dady12: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2012
all this idiot calling theirselves efcc should release that guy immediaetly,are they not seeing nigeria criminals looting our treasury every day going abroad in the name of check up?what evidence do they want a business man to show ?is it the receipt of the money?they should bring the receipt of their own money before asking this man for his own?how many times do they hold dangote and says he was arrested with this or that or is dangote not travelling with money?is it a crime to do importation business in nigeria?do they want business men to retire from their business and join job hurters?may God punish all of you
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by koolguy88(m): 2:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
welldone to our authorities. he has violated the money laundry decree therefore should be arrested. CROOKS grin grin grin grin grin cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 25, 2012
I don't know why people are supporting wrong doing. The man wouldn't have been arrested if he had the necessary documents or walk through the tenet of the law. If he was caught abroad it would have been a serious case or he should go and ask the likes of Ibori and co.

1 Like

Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by SELFWORTH: 5:40pm On Dec 25, 2012
olas2u:

Let me tell you,he may not be the only person that owns that money.Its always a collective effort of funds together.In Asia they welcome you ,because they know you are coming to do business.

Same story. Same excuse . Stupid People will never learn.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by murtalaa(m): 7:33pm On Dec 25, 2012
Knowledge9000: If you declare, problem. If you refuse to declare, problem. What do you need my friend? Forget about all these lies about Bureau de change receipt and bank slip nonsense...they will ask for more. No be Naija we dey. They just want to cut share from it.

What do you think the Gentleman is taking such amount of money to China for if not for business? Who is so foolish to launder money to China...for what if not business.

Now, you people have to understand that, in Nigeria today, it is difficult to wire huge amount of money, virtually impossible and the limit for private individual from personal accounts is $10,000 a day( CBN stipulated this well over 7 yrs ago)except you have to open up a business/commercial account to wire more but still has limit and rigorous application for approval . The Gentleman figured out that as an individual with personal account, wiring upwards of $400,000 will take well over 80-90 days( 3 months) including wire downtime as wire takes at least 2-3 days and non working days(weekends & holidays). So he decided to do this and many business men/women going to China and Qatar do this.
so why is he the only one getting arrested?
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by warrikid(m): 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2012
solomon111: so because they 've not arrested politicians,they should let others go away with money laundering?
Do you people supporting these money launderers, have fully developed brain-cells?
Mscheww.
U amaze me oo,peepo who are public and so-called honourable figures have been caught n not prosecuted buh u want dis man to be prosecuted cos he has no God father abi,I see ur definition of justice and the development level of ur brain cells.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 25, 2012
murtalaa: so why is he the only one getting arrested?

They are many who have been arrested in the past for the same offense but never made it to the media because they agreed to give some percentage to them. Mind you not everybody wants their name published on National Dailies and online, and associated with such an enormous sum of money...invitation for arm robbery we all know that by now. Besides, it is very stu$pid for these people to publish the names of these victims. The spine of post is that, yes many have been arrested but once threatened with publishing your name on national news, they give in not because they are guilty but reasons aforementioned. Those who refuse, they publish it because they have nothing to lose.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by justwise(m): 9:31pm On Dec 25, 2012
Knowledge9000:

They are many who have been arrested in the past for the same offense but never made it to the media because they agreed to give some percentage to them. Mind you not everybody wants their name published on National Dailies and online, and associated with such an enormous sum of money...invitation for arm robbery we all know that by now. Besides, it is very stu$pid for these people to publish the names of these victims. The spine of post is that, yes many have been arrested but once threatened with publishing your name on national news, they give in not because they are guilty but reasons aforementioned. Those who refuse, they publish it because they have nothing to lose.

How do you know that? Since the story was not published online or offline, how do you know that they caught some people and accepted bribe?
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Oballer: 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
EFCC will be eager to swoop in on an unnamed businessman.(Legit or Not) what has happened to them Farooq Lawan and Otedolas of this same country.....Naija..how many times have politicians from all sort carried millions across and all they say to them is Rankadede, Baba oo or Chief Chief....Maybe the guy refused to bribe them sef....Who knows...messed up peoples....
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 25, 2012
justwise:

How do you know that? Since the story was not published online or offline, how do you know that they caught some people and accepted bribe?

If you are in business of trading you will know what he his talking about very well.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by youngboss1(m): 12:57am On Dec 26, 2012
it is their money, and moreover why they no arrest the top finish....mtcheww
[quote author=Fatdon]The Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA Command of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, on Monday arrested a passenger, Mr Ikebude Akoma, with $456,000 (N71,660,400) during the outward clearance of passengers of Qatar Airways flight to China en route Doha.

The Public Relations Officer of the Airport Command of Nigeria Customs Service, Mrs Thelma Williams while reacting to the arrest said that the passenger was apprehended for not being able to explain to the Customs authoriti
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Elise1: 5:58am On Dec 26, 2012
This our overzealous goverment workers. Na wa o.
Do it like they will complain, like that they will still complain.
I wont be suprise if this happened because the poor guy was not ready to give them part of it.

Nigeria overdo they kill us.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by tayoTFC(m): 12:38pm On Dec 26, 2012
sentiment apart the money is more than the law i.e CBN stipulate in the policy,if u are business man why dont u arrange with the coy or ur client oversee bank to facilitate the transfer of the money. there must be more to it,, i smell money laundry. the guy might even be one of those bank robbers that we rob nigeria bank , change the naira to dollar and travel abroad to flex and come back with car to oppress nigerian...so he should be question
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
tayoTFC: sentiment apart the money is more than the law i.e CBN stipulate in the policy,if u are business man why dont u arrange with the coy or ur client oversee bank to facilitate the transfer of the money. there must be more to it,, i smell money laundry. the guy might even be one of those bank robbers that we rob nigeria bank , change the naira to dollar and travel abroad to flex and come back with car to oppress nigerian...so he should be question

Olodo,that money is small when you ship containers everynow and then from china
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2012
murtalaa: so why is he the only one getting arrested?
I don't you have been following the news recently. What planet have you been?
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 26, 2012
justwise:

It's a commonplace and I don't need to explain. Hundreds of people read my post and find it strange that only you would ask that....what does that imply? You are only the odd person.
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by justwise(m): 6:09pm On Dec 26, 2012
Knowledge9000:

It's a commonplace and I don't need to explain. Hundreds of people read my post and find it strange that only you would ask that....what does that imply? You are only the odd person.

You are just unbelievable! how do you know that hundreds of people read your post and find it strange that i asked that question? How many people made comment about your post?

You made things up and expect people to believe you? If those claimed you made were not published online or offline then where did you get your rumour from? Do you work at the airport? Immigration officer?
Re: Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. by aribisala0(m): 12:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
I wonder why we must bring sentiment into simple things
For those who are old enough to remember this was why Fela was jailed.
Yes the enforcement of the law has been patchy but that is no defence.
You cannot expect to go unpunished because others are.If the traders find there is no other way than to use cash Then they need to employ the services of a lawyer, so that they do not flout the law,to advice them on proper documentation.
Another thing is most traders have associations so they can lobby government to make the processs straightforward or to make bank transfers easier.

They should be able to show a receipt for where they bought the dollars from.$400000 is not $400.
One thing they can do is to start to operate domiciliary accounts so that when they change money they pay it into domicilliary accounts before travel.That way they can show a paper trail of WHERE THE MONEY CAME FROM. If necessary they can arrange some form of CLEARANCE before the actual day of travel.That is the sensible "TEXTBOOK" way

Even if you gather the money from hundred people there must be a paper trail.That way even if they travel to another country and the money is seized the Federal Government can come to their aid. Recently Jigawa state governor's son was arrested for the same reason. To insist on doing things your own way when there is a government is folly

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG: We Have What It Takes To Turn Economy Around / South East, North East Attract $0 Into Nigeria In Q3, South West Rakes $5bn / Ugwuanyi Offers Scholarships To Emmanuel Maduabuchi And Chukwuebuka Udoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.