Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,565 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:32 PM

Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There (35273 Views)

New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by NwaTeacher1: 8:57am On Dec 26, 2012
I want to know how life is to study and work in New Zealand. How is dia Economy, racism and if d allow foreign students to study and work. Ur positive contribution will be highly appreciate. Thanks
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by NwaTeacher1: 1:55pm On Jan 04, 2013
Does it mean that no Nairalander studying in New Zealand
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by NwaTeacher1: 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
Kai! No information yet
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Audu123(m): 4:12am On Jan 10, 2013
Hello

I am a Nigerian in New Zealand. There is a small but growing community of Nigerians in NZ, mostly Yoruba and Igbo. The New Zealand economy is alight, not the best but certainly better than Europe. A lot of people use NZ to get citizenship and then move to Australia which has a booming economy now thanks to the mining industry.

New Zealand has a very relaxed lifestyle, Auckland the largest city is very multicultural with a large populations from Asia, Europe, pacific islands and some from Africa and south America. The only problem with NZ is that the place far no be small, you go chop plane tire on your way.

Foreign students are allowed to work 20 hours a week while studying and they can work any hours over the summer holiday (Nov - Feb). Racism is next to zero here, it happens but it's not institutionalised, its more from individual people who cant tolerate others. I myself have not experienced any racism for the 8 years I have been here.

If you want to know more do ask.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Teedol: 8:31am On Jan 10, 2013
Also interested in NZ, can u furnish us with more info on how to get a resident permit?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 10, 2013
Audu123: Hello

I am a Nigerian in New Zealand. There is a small but growing community of Nigerians in NZ, mostly Yoruba and Igbo. The New Zealand economy is alight, not the best but certainly better than Europe. A lot of people use NZ to get citizenship and then move to Australia which has a booming economy now thanks to the mining industry.

New Zealand has a very relaxed lifestyle, Auckland the largest city is very multicultural with a large populations from Asia, Europe, pacific islands and some from Africa and south America. The only problem with NZ is that the place far no be small, you go chop plane tire on your way.

Foreign students are allowed to work 20 hours a week while studying and they can work any hours over the summer holiday (Nov - Feb). Racism is next to zero here, it happens but it's not institutionalised, its more from individual people who cant tolerate others. I myself have not experienced any racism for the 8 years I have been here.

If you want to know more do ask.
That's very informative, thank you. Please, could you give information on their schools and how to obtain a visa, how easy it ?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by macrichie(m): 10:07am On Jan 10, 2013
@audu, thanks a lot for the information you shared.

I will like to ask if you also have any information on the Newzealand skilled worker scheme. How to go about the application process, and how to secure the resident permit. Since you are there I'm very sure u will be of great help.

Thanks!
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Audu123(m): 1:23pm On Jan 10, 2013
Demaejy:
That's very informative, thank you. Please, could you give information on their schools and how to obtain a visa, how easy it ?

They have good quality universities, each one has good reputation in specific courses. As long as you fulfill requirements obtaining a visa is easy. You need to apply to a university first. Once you have been accepted and have paid the fees, you then apply for your visa. Its pretty straight forward. This is the immigration website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/application/

The website has all the information you need.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Audu123(m): 1:33pm On Jan 10, 2013
macrichie: @audu, thanks a lot for the information you shared.

I will like to ask if you also have any information on the Newzealand skilled worker scheme. How to go about the application process, and how to secure the resident permit. Since you are there I'm very sure u will be of great help.

Thanks!

I will recommend you visit the immigration website as it has more information than I can give you. But i will give you some info here to get you started.

The Essential Skills in Demand (ESID) Lists help to ensure New Zealand’s skills needs are met by facilitating the entry of appropriately skilled migrants to fill identified skill shortages.

There are three lists:
the Long-term Skill Shortage List
the Immediate Skill-shortage List
the Canterbury Skill-shortage List

Long-term Skill Shortage List
The Long-term Skill Shortage List (sometimes referred to as LTSSL) identifies occupations where there is a sustained and ongoing shortage of highly skilled workers both globally and throughout New Zealand. If you gain employment in one of these occupations, you may be granted a work visa under the Work to Residence category. After two years, Work to Residence visa holders are eligible to apply for residence, provided they meet standard requirements and work in an occupation on the Long-term List that has a base salary of at least NZ$45,000.
Skilled Migrant Category
If you are applying for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category and you have an offer of employment, work experience, or qualifications in an area of work on the Long-term List, you may gain bonus points towards your application for residence.
Immediate Skill Shortage List
The Immediate Skill-shortage List (sometimes referred to as ISSL) includes occupations where skilled workers are immediately required in New Zealand. It facilitates the approval of temporary work visa applications. If you apply for a work visa based on an offer of employment in an occupation that is included on the Immediate skill shortage list and you meet the requirements specified in the list, Immigration New Zealand will recognise there are no New Zealand citizens or residents available to take up the position. This removes the need to conduct a ‘labour market test’, enabling faster processing of the application.

If you are granted a work visa based on an occupation on this list, then you can only stay in New Zealand temporarily. You won’t necessarily be able to apply for residence.
Canterbury Skill Shortage List
Canterbury has special labour market needs because of the need to rebuild the region following recent earthquakes. The Canterbury Skill Shortage List (sometimes referred to as CSSL) contains occupations in critical shortage. If you have skills that appear on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List, then you may qualify for a temporary work visa.

If you meet the requirements of the occupations listed and you have a job offer in Canterbury, you may be granted a temporary work visa without a labour market check. The Canterbury List also draws on the occupations on the Immediate and Long-term Skill Shortage Lists that are relevant to the Canterbury rebuild. If the occupation is on the Long-term List, then you may also be able to apply for residence.

These links should give you more info:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/caniworkinnz/ltssloccupationrequirements.htm

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/

These are links to the lists:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/063ECB35-F5D5-44D8-8325-7041A727A9D5/0/INZ109330July2012.pdf

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/89185A40-27D3-41F4-84BE-30129920411D/0/Immediateskillshortagelist5December.pdf

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Audu123(m): 1:37pm On Jan 10, 2013
Teedol: Also interested in NZ, can u furnish us with more info on how to get a resident permit?

Hi, please refer to my response to the other fella. Again, I recommend visiting the immigration website as it has all information you will need.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by emmausa: 7:37am On Jun 15, 2013
Hi all. Pls i seriously need help on how to study in new zealand. When is d starting semester and what way can i get visa
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Audu123(m): 1:20pm On Nov 07, 2013
emmausa: Hi all. Pls i seriously need help on how to study in new zealand. When is d starting semester and what way can i get visa

All the information you will need to know can be found on the New Zealand immigration website and any University website. Semesters start in February and July, but you need to apply a good 6-8 months before to get everything sorted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by moneybag100: 10:56pm On Nov 07, 2013
Audu123:

As a British citizen your battle is almost half won. You dont need a visa to enter New Zealand. You came to New Zealand and then secure a job and then apply for a work visa. You need to have been working and leaving in New Zealand for at least 3 years to start the permanent residency process.

How is vocational study in new zealand? What's the cost and requirement to apply for one? Do they issue visa on vocational study? And if one comes with tourist or vistor..can one change his visa to working or study?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by dustydee: 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
Let's keep this thread alive. New Zealand is far from nigeria, for me that is a problem.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by otosa(m): 7:53am On Nov 13, 2013
I wanted to come to New Zealand for diploma in Animation but the school fees is very huge. the cheaper one I got was $19,200 per year while the school fee for domestic is just
$5,000 according to their official web site. but I don't know if I get the cheaper one than that?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by dustydee: 11:31am On Nov 15, 2013
^^Search online, but remember there are few universities in New Zealand. Consider other countries. Don't forget to factor in flight and living cost.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by tolats(m): 1:00am On Nov 29, 2013
Please, as a PHD student, what does it cost to live in NZ(Auckland) apart from the tuition fees; talking about feeding and accommodation? How easy is a PHD student to get a job during and after his studies, and what is the range of the pay?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by NosoChic: 7:50am On Nov 29, 2013
I really am interested in coming over for a Masters degree at Massey University. It will really help if any one in New Zealand can respond to questions asked.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by skyreacher: 8:08am On Aug 29, 2014
what is the price range of the tuition fees of an average newzealand university?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by cconcept: 9:33am On Aug 29, 2014
skyreacher: what is the price range of the tuition fees of an average newzealand university?
Depends on what you are studying and what level of study.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
tolats:
Please, as a PHD student, what does it cost to live in NZ(Auckland) apart from the tuition fees; talking about feeding and accommodation? How easy is a PHD student to get a job during and after his studies, and what is the range of the pay?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Adeseunbam: 7:55am On May 11, 2016
Pls Forumite, i am a graduate of agricuagricultural economics with second class upper, I also hold a masters degree in Agric economics. I applied to Massey University to study Agri-commerce, I have a C.G.P.A of 3.51 of 5.0...... which is about 70.1% ..... I was surprised when they reply me that I didnt make 60%. Then they adviced me to apply for Masters in Economics, Finance etc, they I was informed again that my last two sessions GPA was arround 51.17%. Of course I was surprised to see this as my last two years as an Undergraduate were very significant I.e my 400l was 3.69 of 5.0 while my 500level was 4.42 of 5.0. Pls I need to understand how they are calculating my Grade point and to know what options I have
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by bikerboy1(m): 12:26am On May 12, 2016
Adeseunbam:
Pls Forumite, i am a graduate of agricuagricultural economics with second class upper, I also hold a masters degree in Agric economics. I applied to Massey University to study Agri-commerce, I have a C.G.P.A of 3.51 of 5.0...... which is about 70.1% ..... I was surprised when they reply me that I didnt make 60%. Then they adviced me to apply for Masters in Economics, Finance etc, they I was informed again that my last two sessions GPA was arround 51.17%. Of course I was surprised to see this as my last two years as an Undergraduate were very significant I.e my 400l was 3.69 of 5.0 while my 500level was 4.42 of 5.0. Pls I need to understand how they are calculating my Grade point and to know what options I have

Did you apply for PhD or Masters?

They did same to me when I applied for Masters,
Instead, they gave me post graduate diploma.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by uchem2000(m): 11:39am On May 12, 2016
Where is their embassy in nigeria
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Adeseunbam: 5:01pm On May 12, 2016
bikerboy1:

Did you apply for PhD or Masters?

They did same to me when I applied for Masters,
Instead, they gave me post graduate diploma.

I applied for masters in Agri-commerce
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Adeseunbam: 5:02pm On May 12, 2016
uchem2000:
Where is their embassy in nigeria
I dont know, it has to be in Abuja
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Collineno: 1:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
Adeseunbam:

I also experienced same problem. I applied for renewable engineering masters and i was told my application has been declined because of my CGPA.

I wonder if its thesame with other Universities in NZ.

Please do you know if Auckland University Of Technology will do thesame thing as massey university?

What university in NZ finally gave you admission. Thank you
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by untoman24: 6:36pm On Sep 01, 2016
Want to know how much it cost to study in new Zealand and if I can get permanent stay after study

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Air Peace De-board Passenger For Asking Attendant To Translate To Igbo Language / Four Die, Many Injured In Fatal Auto Crash In Delta / Accident Cuts Off Man's Head (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.