Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Massive Fire On Lagos Island. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Fire On Lagos Island. (17365 Views)

Boko Haram: NSA Warns Of Likely Attack On Lagos Ports / Molue Banned From Lagos Island / LAGBUS Crashes Into Four Cars On Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by Dawinlove(m): 1:39pm On Dec 26, 2012
Eko onibaje,hausa boiz are mad at fashola dey are all cryin..fashola why!why u pursue us from lag,u go see peper walahi
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by naptu2: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by jadajada: 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2012
seedord247: Fashola enemy at work... shocked
hw? U be mumu.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by Cunninlingus: 6:20pm On Dec 26, 2012
yoruba can fear
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by IYANGBALI: 6:52pm On Dec 26, 2012
segunsd: funny thing is that the kind of fireworks people trigger in my estate almost sound like dynamites. So loud that its hard to decipher whether its a gunshot or not. We dey complain sey we no get money yet we dey burn Naira in the name of fireworks. It's sad for the businessmen who lost their products. It's even sadder that someone will die or get seriously injured. Fireworks should be stored properly. We don't have authorities who inspect the storage of fireworks in Nigeria and the use of them. We use fireworks dangerously in Nigeria against each other. In my opinion, it should be banned.
seconded
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by IYANGBALI: 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
Cunninlingus: yoruba can fear
shut the fok up ode
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by naptu2: 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
After the fire

Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by ignis: 7:41pm On Dec 26, 2012
UncleChybyke: .
this incident is not caused by fireworks. I don't believe.
Then what is the cause?
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by Ilekokonit: 7:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
naptu2
I only saw the ban being enforced in 1984, 85 and 86. Ssince then it's the usual announcement (the unauthorised use of fireworks is illegal, defaulters are liable to bla bla jail term) , like the ones we have below, without any action being taken.

In that case, Buhari's regime (1983-1985) was right in banning fireworks. Buhari also gave us (WAI) "War Against Indiscipline" which straightened people out a bit. If you were caught dashing across the road instead of using pedestrian bridges, you will be forced to do frog jumps right by the side of the road.

I don't know why Nigerians can't give Buhari a chance to be President. He's got to be better than the current gang of cleptomaniacs.

But then again, the current "yahoo yahoo youth" (whose online tribalism is worse than that of 30 years ago) did not experience Nigeria when it was good, so they'll keep voting for rogues until things hopelessly fall apart. That's if the situation is not hopeless already.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by PowerfulWords: 8:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
The importation of this fireworks should be banned with grievous consequences for defaulters
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by Rossikk(m): 8:23pm On Dec 26, 2012
I don't understand why fireworks should be causing this kind of disaster. It's not as if Nigeria is the only place they're heavily used.
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by naptu2: 6:15am On Dec 27, 2012
[size=14pt]One killed, 12 houses razed in Lagos firecracker explosions[/size]

December 27, 2012 by Friday Olokor, Eniola Akinkuotu, Temitayo Famutimi and Sodiq Oyeleke ⁠11 Comments

There was confusion in Jankara Market, Isale Eko area of Lagos State on Wednesday after a building containing a stockpile of firecrackers caught fire, killing at least one person and injuring 40 others.

Our correspondents observed that at least 12 buildings were razed by the fire while 10 vehicles were completely burnt.

According to residents, the fire started from a makeshift warehouse located on 45 Ojo Giwa Street at about 9:30am.and spread to other houses.

An occupant of the building where the fire started from, Chibuzor Ukandu, said it started around 9am. Ukandu, who owned an electronic store on the ground floor of the two-storey building, said he lost all his property.

He said, “Around 9am, I was attending to a customer when I heard a loud explosion. Before I knew it, fire had started spreading very quickly.

“I tried to issue my customer a receipt before evacuating my goods but the fire was spreading so fast. The explosion occurred again and I managed to pull out only my customer. All my goods were burnt.”

It was learnt that the explosions caused pandemonium as many people thought they were bomb blasts.

Fire fighters were seen attempting to put out the fire for hours as smoke billowed from the affected buildings. The fire, however, continued to rage as the explosives continued to go off.

Some of the buildings affected by the fire were warehouses and shops for traders on the Island. Items stored in those building, included electrical accessories, electronics equipment, and household items among others.

Bomb-like firecrackers

Chairman of Lagos Island East Local Government, Mr. Kamal Bashua, said his office would carry out a discrete probe into the matter with a view to fishing out the perpetrators of the act.

He said, “We have been trying to curtail what comes into our market, I cannot explain how these people beat our security to bring in explosives like these. Thank God that as at now, no life has officially been declared lost.

“It is disheartening to see that fireworks that look like bomb could be imported. The fire has put down over 10 buildings. By the time you go to the next street, you will discover that this fire has affected many houses. We are trying to make sure that it does not escalate.”

A resident of the area, who is also an eyewitness, Kehinde Shotimu, said the explosives were brought into the building on Sunday.

He noted that the store was owned by a Chinese but managed by a Nigerian, who is responsible for the distribution of the firecrackers to retailers in Lagos markets.

He added, “Unless we want to deceive ourselves, we all know that there were dangerous explosives in the building. The store is a major distributor of fire crackers in Lagos and many customers come here for them. It is just unfortunate that this is happening today that is a day for celebration.

“The store is owned by a Chinese who regularly comes here whenever the firecrackers are to be offloaded. They just offloaded some three days ago in a container of about 240ft.”

Four streets affected

An eyewitness, Aji Qudus, who explained that the cause of the fire was not clear, lamented the slow response of the fire service.

“More than 10 houses were burnt and 15 cars completely damaged. The fire spread over four streets –Ojo Giwa, Okoya, Oko Awo and Moshalashi streets. I cannot actually say what the cause of the fire is, but it was beyond imagination,” he said.

One of the traders whose shop was also affected, Mrs. Shogunle, explained that the fire was caused by a small boy who lighted a cracker that hit the room where the explosives were kept.

She said, “I learnt a small boy caused the explosions. He was playing with crackers and raised it up to blow. Unfotunately, it hit the store where other explosives were stored and the fire escalated.

“But, apart from this, the store where the explosives are kept is too hot. The temperature is high there and there is no ventilation. This will surely contribute to the high rate of explosion.”

Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Fadipe, complained that the mammoth crowd at the scene prevented more fire-fighting trucks from moving in and supporting firefighters.

Fadipe said, “Some of the buildings are about to collapse but we have been prevailing on the residents to vacate the residence but they refused. The major factor hindering our service now is crowd control.

“Our fire-fighting vehicles are around but they cannot come in here because of the crowd. The police and the military are trying their best but the crowd still persisted. But I can assure you that if more of our fire-fighting trucks move in here, the fire would be contained.”

South West Zonal Information Officer, National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the first-hand information the agency got was that firecrackers caused the fire.

He added that the absence of water hydrant in the area frustrated the emergency officials putting out the fire.

“Our major challenge is the lack of a water hydrant in any of the buildings in this area. Besides, the non-compliance with urban development laws which provides that there should be at least a six- metre gap in between buildings made the fire spread swiftly. As it is, over 40 people have been injured,” he said.

Families besiege hospital

It was learnt that six vehicles were used to convey the injured to hospital.

When one of our correspondents visited General Hospital, Marina, Lagos, the emergency unit was packed with about 20 of those injured in the incident.

Their family members waited outside with apprehension as doctors attended to them.

One of the victims, Jimoh Ahmed, who suffered a leg fracture, said he jumped down from the second floor of the building housing his shop, adding that he thought it was a bomb attack.

He said, “I heard a loud bang around 9:30 and the bang kept on sounding. Afterwards, the wall of my shop started peeling off and the door leading out of my shop collapsed.

“I looked outside through the window and saw flames emanating from one of the buildings around and I concluded that it was a bomb attack. I then jumped through the window of my shop which is on the second floor.”

Another victim, Waheed Bashiru, who was writhing in pains after taking X-ray examination of his leg, said he came down through the pipe supplying water to his apartment when his residence went up in flames.

Police arrest looters

Policemen attached to Area ‘A’ Police Command, Lion Building, Lagos led by the Area Commander, Mr. Imohinmi Edgal, arrested about 10 persons who attempted to loot the affected buildings.

One of the looters was caught stealing a stabiliser from one of the stores.

It was learnt that the looter was  one of those hired by one of the storekeepers to help evacuate her goods from the store.

He was arrested when the security men at the scene noticed that he was diverting the stabiliser to an obscure place different from the destination of other recovered goods.

Dead victim recovered

At about 1:45PM, NEMA Incident Response Vehicle brought a corpse from the scene of the incident to the General Hospital, Marina, Lagos.

It was learnt that the corpse was that of a teenage boy whose identity was yet-to-be identified as it was burnt beyond recogntion.

A middle-aged man who was identified simply as Quadri said he followed the corpse from the scene to see if it was that of his younger brother who had been missing since morning.

He said, “My teenage cousin who was playing around the neighbourhood when the incident happened is nowhere to be found. I came to see if the body is that of my brother.

“His father, mother and siblings sustained injuries and are being taken care of in the emergency ward.”

One of our correspondents overheard one of the doctors who went to check the corpse saying that a DNA test would have to be carried out to identify the deceased.

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency has said that security agencies would investigate the cause of the explosions.

A statement by the spokesperson for NEMA, Mr. Yushau Shuaib, said the fire had been brought under control.

“While security agencies would investigate and determine the real cause of the explosion and fire outbreaks, casualty figures have yet to be determined but some residents who were injured while assisting with putting off the fire have been taken to hospital for treatment. So far no death has been recorded,” he said.

Although firemen from the Lagos State Fire Service, Lagos Island East Fire Service and Lagos State Emergency Agency were battling the flame, parts of some of the buildings were still burning as at 4pm when our correspondents left the scene.

http://www.punchng.com/news/one-killed-12-houses-razed-in-lagos-firecracker-explosions/
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by naptu2: 6:34am On Dec 27, 2012
[size=14pt]Fashola: How did banned fire crackers enter Nigeria?[/size]

Published on December 26, 2012 by   ·   2 Comments

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Wednesday visited the site of a fire incident triggered by the storage of firecrackers at the Ojo Giwa area of Jankara Market in Central Lagos, describing the incident a self inflicted tragedy.

Fashola, speaking to journalists, at the scene of Lagos fire

The Governor who spoke with newsmen at the scene said: “We make rules, we break them. All of these items are under one form of prohibition or the other and we have men and women at our various entry and exit points”.

“How did they get in?, how did they enter?, who shipped them?, who imported them and who cleared them?. Who approved them to come in. Those are very serious issues. We must also ask ourselves, must we do every business?”, the Governor asked rhetorically.

The Governor reflected that the people must undertake a lot of soul searching and reflections on the choices they make as a people, asking; “the way we do business, does it benefit all of us or do we do business without consideration for other people’s safety as long as I make money?, I don’t care if people die, I don’t care if properties are burnt”.

He reiterated that in order to make quick business, lives have been lost, properties have been lost and all of the people are in danger.

Governor Fashola maintained that everyone must be involved in the soul searching process, underscoring that it must not be about the government alone. According to him, as the state government continues to ramp up capacities by equipping the fire service, equipping the emergency services, setting up a safety commission, the people must now choose how safely they want to live.

“There must be safety, environmental and health safety in everything that we do. We have had too many fires in the recent past and in spite of my appeals over the last two months that we are going into the dry season and that everyone must resist the temptation to keep inflammable materials in homes”, the Governor said.

The Governor revealed that two weeks ago, over a weekend of Saturday and Sunday , the Lagos State Fire Service responded to 22 fire distress calls, stressing that such number can be reduced through self -caution as the government cannot be in peoples’ homes to check who is storing fuel or explosives.

Governor Fashola said all citizens must now lead by showing some commitment to their own safety, by giving a commitment that: “I will keep petrol away from my house, I will keep explosives away from my house. I will not make any illegal electrical connection. I will switch off all my electrical appliances before I leave home”.

He warned that if care is not taken, it may get to a situation where if the present trend continues, the state fire service would be overwhelmed.

“All of us have a duty and I am renewing my appeal again, let us stop this dangerous businesses because once there is an error, the consequences are devastating as you see. I hope that we will restrain ourselves and get through this difficult year in some safety and adopt much more safety conscious choices as we go into the new year”, he explained.

The Governor was received and briefed at the site by the General Manager of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency(LASEMA) Dr Oke Osanyintolu and the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, TpL Toyin Ayinde and other officials who had been coordinating rescue and fire control efforts at the site.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/12/26/fashola-how-did-banned-fire-crackers-enter-nigeria/
Re: Massive Fire On Lagos Island. by naptu2: 6:37am On Dec 27, 2012
Rossikk: I don't understand why fireworks should be causing this kind of disaster. It's not as if Nigeria is the only place they're heavily used.

Back in the 1980's we often saw these kind of disaster occurring in Nigeria (especially Central Lagos) and in China (it was almost as regular as watching the "Scarlet Pimpernel" on the NTA).

However, I've not heard about this kind of disaster occurring in China in recent years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Governor, Ganduje Raises Alarm Over Almajiris / LASG Donates N55m To Families Of Slain Security Officers / Ayade's Attempt To Change Cross River Logo Meets Funny Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.