Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? (3389 Views)

What Are Your New Year Resolutions / Your New Year Resolutions / What is Your New Year Resolution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by webaplanet(m): 9:41am On Dec 27, 2012
A New Year's resolution is a commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit. A key element to a New Year's Resolution that sets it apart from other resolutions is that it is made in anticipation of the New Year and new beginnings. People committing themselves to a New Year's resolution generally plan to do so for the whole following year. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous.

According to Gretchen Rubin (author of best-seller "The Happiness Project"wink: "You hit a goal, you achieve a goal. You keep a resolution".

Religious origins:

The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.

The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.

In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.

At watchnight services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions.

There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Catholic fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices.[3] The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually.

Popular goals include resolutions to:

Improve well-being: lose weight, exercise more, eat better, drink less alcohol, quit smoking, stop biting nails
Improve finances: get out of debt, save money
Improve career: get a better job
Improve education: improve grades, get a better education, learn something new (such as a foreign language or music), study often
Improve self: become more organized, reduce stress, be less grumpy, manage time, be more independent, perhaps watch less television, play fewer sitting-down

So what are your New Year Resolutions ??

read more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_resolution

read http://tonykempis dot com
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by k2039: 9:54am On Dec 27, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]Sleep more, eat more and chase girls in the coming yeargringringringringrin

Frankly I didn't make any resolution for the new year, my resolutions are made daily when the need arises(usually as a result of deficiency in efficiency. I don't have to wait for the end of the year to make a resolution

Infact all my goals for the comming year was made 2 years ago, I don't see any reason to make some additional goals or edit my constitution.

My resolution for every year remains the same, stick to my mission statement(which incorporates my personal constitution and goals). [/color]
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Tobbylobar(m): 10:10am On Dec 27, 2012
My own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa.. embarassedMy own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa..
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Tobbylobar(m): 10:12am On Dec 27, 2012
My own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa.. :-
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by bigx(m): 11:44am On Dec 31, 2012
None, resolutions are Made in China.
I'd just be the best I can be 365 days of the year.
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by 1000COMPUTERZ(m): 11:45am On Dec 31, 2012
MAKE A DIFFERENCE...........................HAPPY 2013 TO EVERY ONE .
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by fankasibe: 11:47am On Dec 31, 2012
I knew dis stupid topic will come up. Keep ur thing to urself.
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by kkkossy(m): 11:48am On Dec 31, 2012
New Year's Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by dopeJemi: 11:49am On Dec 31, 2012
Never 2 seLf-service again cry embarassed

K2039, u 2 Like Long story sef undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by searay(m): 11:50am On Dec 31, 2012
My New Year's Resolution:
ON NL:
1. Try to be the first to comment
2. Never to mention garri again
3. To get at least 24 bans before the end of the year, and
4. At least 6 of my topics must make it to the front page.

PERSONAL:
1. No self Service, and
2. Get a fianceeeee

Incase I forget, Nairaland is owned by Oluwaseun Osewa(2005-2012)

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Rawshal(m): 11:50am On Dec 31, 2012
No resolution,has 2mao is jst d same at 2day.I will never join them in worshiping idol januz by making any resolution cuz that how is been done in rome.U can go ahead n worship ur idol after telling us not 2 do so(pastor,imam) by celebratin new yr or havin any resolutn
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 31, 2012
Get Jonathan out of the Villa by any means necessarysmiley
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by ebamma3: 11:54am On Dec 31, 2012
Never to visit brothels and pay for sex again

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by djeezy(m): 11:55am On Dec 31, 2012
dopeJemi: Never 2 seLf-service again cry embarassed
Lol, you're going to go back to that habbit sooner than you anticipated.

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by omiobo: 11:55am On Dec 31, 2012
Stick to my woman. No Adultery!
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Iaz93: 11:56am On Dec 31, 2012
Knowledge9000: Get Jonathan out of the Villa by any means necessarysmiley
SMH
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Iaz93: 11:56am On Dec 31, 2012
ebamma 3: Never to visit brothels and pay for sex again
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by djeezy(m): 11:57am On Dec 31, 2012
My new year resolution is to never make any resolution on new year. You can make your changes anytime you want. You do not need a special day for that coz it might be too late.
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by omiobo: 11:57am On Dec 31, 2012
dopeJemi: Never 2 seLf-service again cry embarassed

gringringringrin
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Hailedin9ja: 12:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
Will get one before 12am.

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by dopeJemi: 12:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
djeezy: Lol, you're goin 2 go back 2 that habit sooner dan u anticipated

Wah makes u say dat
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Zupremo13: 12:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
to get closer to God Almighty cos witout Him nothing is possible

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by egift(m): 12:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
In 2013, I am going to create a platform for people to be financially empowered. And it will also make me money.

All plans are already in place, kicking off as soon as I get investors. 2013 is my year to step up to the spotlight!

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Emylexray(m): 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
Tobbylobar: My own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa.. :-
What a resolution! undecided
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Justiyke4u: 12:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
I av been expecting something like this i even wanted to ask it but found it immaterial because if u are the type that makes resolutions every year , if u break any rule maybe say in Jan 10th that means u av to wait till 31st Dec to make another resolution now is that not penny wise pound foolish. If resolution should be made it supposed to be everyday. Achievement doesnt come at once but a process so when ever u have a shot take it dont wait thats the spirit. New year can only motivate u and inspire u...

1 Like

Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Fancier(f): 12:15pm On Dec 31, 2012
Establishing The Kingdom Standard's in all areas of my life...
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 31, 2012
Develope my enterpreneural skillz
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by dammytosh: 12:19pm On Dec 31, 2012
1366 x 768

Or is it not screen resolution ?
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by djeezy(m): 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2012
@Dopejemi, I can bet u've made that resolution several times and failed to adhere to it.lol, so just self service like 20 times today to make up for the times you won't do it.
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by dopeJemi: 12:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
djeezy: @Dopejemi, I can bet u've made that resolution several times and failed to adhere to it.lol, so just self service like 20 times today to make up for the times you won't do it.

Hahahahahahaha

U had me der mehn

I made d same resoLution Last year

Buh I realLy wanna stop it
cry
Re: What Are Your New Year Resolutions ? by warrikid(m): 12:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
Tobbylobar: My own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa.. embarassedMy own is to try harder to always be d first to comment on each topic...2nd to ...........dis tym shaaa..
Ur ist new year resolution is to stop dis "ist to comment" madness,b4 u r checked in forcefully into the insane asylum. Be like say dem go use birth certificate take screen peepo 4 dis NL as we enter d new year.too many kids up in here. Wat maadness

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: 6 Corpers Including Married Woman Allegedly Caught Having Group Sex / Pls How Do I Correct The Mistake My Bank Made During BVN Registration? / Forum Game Check In With Ur Phone Numbers And See What U Really Need; Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.