Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,087 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:40 AM

Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience (5327 Views)

Funny PHCN Photos (share Your Experience With Them) / Graphic Photos: See What Fire Crackers(knock Out) Did To This Child / Male And Female, Who Are The Most Unique Rib Crackers On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Ngwakwe: 10:03am On Dec 27, 2012
I once used it when I was young but never experienced any fire outbreak from the jamboree.

My Children are presently blowing the Crackers in this Xmas season though under my watch and supervision.

Do the risk outweighs the excitement and fun?
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by surveyProf(m): 10:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Ngwakwe: I once used it when I was young but never experienced any fire outbreak from the jamboree.

My Children are presently blowing the Crackers in this Xmas season though under my watch and supervision.

Do the risk outweighs the excitement and fun?

Absolutely yes!

1 Like

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by charlsecy4(m): 10:36am On Dec 27, 2012
I experimented with a firework, I think 24 December, and...

I unrolled the thick paper used to wrap the contents. There were 2 elements inside, one was white and solid, the other grey and powdery.

The white-and-solid element was on either ends of the device, while the grey-and-powdery stuff was in the centre. A flammable rope extended into one end up to the point where the grey material was.

I poured out the grey powder onto a floor. I lit it with a lighter, and behold, there was an outburst of dazzling, travelling fire. The light from the fire was blinding. For some seconds, the shadow of the light was on my vision, that was all I could see. Then my vision became normal.

Where is my phone? I saw a torchlight on the ground. But I was confused enough not to notice it was the light from my phone that had fallen to the ground when I jumped back to avoid the blinding light from the grey powder.

Oooch! I noticed a slight pain on a finger caused by the fire from the grey powder.

I've understood the principle under which a firework explodes.
*happy*

2 Likes

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by xpensive05: 10:39am On Dec 27, 2012
if its many na....it"ll absolutely start fire
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by TrustZee(m): 10:42am On Dec 27, 2012
Ya it d0es..it once burnt ma trousers when s0me stupid guyz threw it at me..d sound al0ne is irritating,xpecially unexpected 0nes.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by geeez: 10:43am On Dec 27, 2012
Of course they do

It's an explosive for Heaven's sakes

If a cigarette can start a fire, why can't a fire cracker

In some jurisdictions, people undergo special fireworks training and get appropriate licenses to legally prepare and display pyrotechnics
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by ChuckBoi93(m): 10:44am On Dec 27, 2012
Absolutely, yes! It can cause a fire...but only in the wrong hands though.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Heatblast(m): 10:44am On Dec 27, 2012
Fire crackers don't spontaneously combust. You must always need a source of ignition eg lighter, once ignited, of course starting a fire would be easy(its an explosive)
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Naijalane: 10:48am On Dec 27, 2012
It depends. Try to read the warnings and the terms of use. Example: You can not use fireworks indoor or in compact space. Out door use only and in a free air space pointing out from where building is located cos it explodes massive
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by k2039: 10:51am On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 27, 2012
You see the name Fire Crackers and you still dey ask if e fit start fire?

Guy you dull oh lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Nautillus(m): 10:59am On Dec 27, 2012
Fire Crackers are miniature explosives.

go figure.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by gbanikiti(m): 11:03am On Dec 27, 2012
Me i been think say na crackers biscuit im dey talk sef.mtscheew!
PortHarcourtBoy: You see the name Fire Crackers and you still dey ask if e fit start fire?

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by pheesayor(m): 11:08am On Dec 27, 2012
the op na learner
PortHarcourtBoy: You see the name Fire Crackers and you still dey ask if e fit start fire?

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by naptu2: 11:09am On Dec 27, 2012
1) There is a famous boys school beside a famous girls school. There is a tradition that on the last day of school students of the boys school will attack the girls school with firecrackers. This tradition ended abruptly one year, after a firecracker landed underneath a peugeot 504, exploded and set the car on fire.

2) There is a famous billionaire businessman who absolutely refuses to attend new year vigil/midnight mass. He will stay at home while the rest of the family attends the service. Why? I found out that he attended vigil mass one year and someone threw banger into the folds of his agbada. The old man's agbada caught fire and he was struggling to get out of it.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 27, 2012
#Just thinking....could extreme heat inside the store where the fire-crackers were stored responsible for the outbreak?
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by stephenponti(m): 11:17am On Dec 27, 2012
This one too is a firecracker? With led light & timed indicator that is what caused the tragic yesterday till now it's still exploding.

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Ngwakwe: 11:25am On Dec 27, 2012
This is exactly what I have in mind, if it can ignite under certain condition on its own.

Most Adhesives doesn't glue until you apply hardener

ilugunboy: #Just thinking....could extreme heat inside the store where the fire-crackers were stored responsible for the outbreak?
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by gbanikiti(m): 11:30am On Dec 27, 2012
I think so.i suspected that too.you know say our mind no reach that side sef.the heat wey dey lagos fit roast pesin alive.you can imagine a place like lagos island which is a clustered settlement.
ilugunboy: #Just thinking....could extreme heat inside the store where the fire-crackers were stored responsible for the outbreak?

1 Like

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Jakumo(m): 11:40am On Dec 27, 2012
naptu2: 1)
2) There is a famous billionaire businessman who absolutely refuses to attend new year vigil/midnight mass. He will stay at home while the rest of the family attends the service. Why? I found out that he attended vigil mass one year and someone threw banger into the folds of his agbada. The old man's agbada caught fire and he was struggling to get out of it.

Struggling to get out of it ha ha ha ha. Sorry for the laughter, but that is one funny picture to imagine ha ha ha.

Now that this gentleman has turned his back on "night-vigils" won't the Holy Ghost become annoyed ? Enquiring minds want to know.

Baba Polina, I beg o, make you begin dey go vigil again like before o, make God no go vex with ona. No worry at all Baba. Make you no fear that holy-ghost fire when catch ya agbada last time, because we all go carry fire extinguisher, take am dey follow you for back.

1 Like

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Heatblast(m): 11:41am On Dec 27, 2012

Nope
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Jakumo(m): 11:43am On Dec 27, 2012

Oh, without question, extreme heat can and will cook off explosives, causing them to them ignite and go boom without warning.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Lagusta(m): 11:47am On Dec 27, 2012
charlsecy4: I experimented with a firework, I think 24 December, and...

I unrolled the thick paper used to wrap the contents. There were 2 elements inside, one was white and solid, the other grey and powdery.

The white-and-solid element was on either ends of the device, while the grey-and-powdery stuff was in the centre. A flammable rope extended into one end up to the point where the grey material was.

I poured out the grey powder onto a floor. I lit it with a lighter, and behold, there was an outburst of dazzling, travelling fire. The light from the fire was blinding. For some seconds, the shadow of the light was on my vision, that was all I could see. Then my vision became normal.

Where is my phone? I saw a torchlight on the ground. But I was confused enough not to notice it was the light from my phone that had fallen to the ground when I jumped back to avoid the blinding light from the grey powder.

Oooch! I noticed a slight pain on a finger caused by the fire from the grey powder.

I've understood the principle under which a firework explodes.
*happy*

Wow, pls don't try that §h!t again...

That grey powder's a magnesium compound, used to make dynamite and gun powder, it burns brightly and can affect your vision if you look directly into it...

@topic, firecrackers should be banned!!! They have injured and maimed many of my friends, one even had his hand amputated... #fineBoyGone!!!

1 Like

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Heatblast(m): 11:51am On Dec 27, 2012
Ngwakwe: This is exactly what I have in mind, if it can ignite under certain condition on its own.

Most Adhesives doesn't glue until you apply hardener

gbanikiti: I think so.i suspected that too.you know say our mind no reach that side sef.the heat wey dey lagos fit roast pesin alive.you can imagine a place like lagos island which is a clustered settlement.

I don't think the heat inside the store could have exceeded 40°c(even the hottest day in lagos barely reaches 33°c). To start a fire cracker, you need an ignition source in excess of 400°c(a match stick for example).. Something else probably an electric spark or the shop owner was cooking inside the shop or anything that could cause a fire was the culprit, and not ordinary room temperature
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 27, 2012
Outside it nuisance value and noise...I can't see any excitement or entertainment in fire crackers....Xmas can still be enjoy without fire crackers and the attendant incidence like that of yesterday.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by naptu2: 11:56am On Dec 27, 2012
An eyewitness reported that a boy set of a "rocket" (type of fireworks) which got into the building that was being used as a fireworks depot. Other eyewitnesses said that the store was poorly ventilated.

http://www.punchng.com/news/one-killed-12-houses-razed-in-lagos-firecracker-explosions/
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by naptu2: 11:57am On Dec 27, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/1138157/police-ban-knock-out-season/1

naptu2: Examples of the reason for the ban.

1) In the late '80s or early '90s there was commotion in Central Lagos when a fireworks depot caught fire.

Similarly, in the 1980s, NTA News regularly showed images of Chinese fireworks factories that had caught fire.

2) The wife of the musician, Fatai Rolling Dollar, died from injuries sustained when she was hit by fireworks that had been thrown into their house.

3) There's a popular boys secondary school in Lagos which is beside a popular girls secondary school. On the last day of school before christmas, students of the boys school usually attack the girls school with fireworks. However, one year, the tradition ended earlier than usual when fireworks were mistakenly thrown underneath a peugeot 504 car, which set the car on fire.

4) Two years ago there was a documentary on STV that showed a woman who was campaigning that fireworks should be banned. Her son lost two fingers when, in response to a dare, he held a stick of banger as it exploded. They also showed other children who had lost fingers from the practice.

5) In the early 2000s, armed robbers attacked a place on Lagos mainland using toy guns and banger sticks.

6) Somewhere on Lagos Mainland I saw youths attack a house with banger. I have never seen such a coordinated fireworks attack in my life! One resident of the building was able to escape via a window. He came back with policemen, but by then the youths had vanished.

And there are many more such examples. In recent days, residents of Maiduguri and other cities of the north have reported on nairaland that the ban against fireworks is being strictly enforced because of the fear of boko haram.

3 Likes

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 27, 2012
Heatblast:

I don't think the heat inside the store could have exceeded 40°c(even the hottest day in lagos barely reaches 33°c). To start a fire cracker, you need an ignition source in excess of 400°c(a match stick for example).. Something else probably an electric spark or the shop owner was cooking inside the shop or anything that could cause a fire was the culprit, and not ordinary room temperature

Possibly....I think it's just an isolated case... other stores housing fire crackers should also have gone in flames if we are to pin it on just the temp.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by Jakumo(m): 12:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
Fireworks displays, when left in the hands of trained and properly accredited pyrotechnic professionals, can be quite spectacular, and can be great family entertainment, IF all safety measures are rigorously followed by the technicians. America's annual New Year and July 4th celebrations, and Guy Fawkes night in the UK, are examples of safe, authorized fireworks displays, when crowds gather to admire the breathtaking patterns of color lighting the night sky, hundreds of feet above the ground

For much of the Nigerian public, however, fireworks are equated with M80-style bangers that only explode with a deafening blast, do NOT light up the sky, and are so phucking loud that only the sick monkeys who throw them about can be certain that the explosions are not gunfire or grenade bursts. Anyone found tossing lit M80 bangers should be arrested and deep-sixed in jail, or, alternatively shot dead by the nearest Good Samaritan, under the pretext that the noise-makers were mistaken for armed robbers.

4 Likes

Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by JomoGbomo2(m): 12:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
Fireworks displays, when left in the hands of trained and properly accredited pyrotechnic professionals, can be quite spectacular, and can be great family entertainment, IF all safety measures are rigorously followed by the technicians. America's annual New Year and July 4th celebrations, and Guy Fawkes night in the UK, are examples of safe, authorized fireworks displays, when crowds gather to admire the breathtaking patterns of color lighting the night sky, hundreds of feet above the ground

For much of the Nigerian public, however, fireworks are equated with M80-style bangers that only explode with a deafening blast, do NOT light up the sky, and are so phucking loud that only the sick monkeys who throw them about can be certain that the explosions are not gunfire or grenade bursts. Anyone found tossing lit M80 bangers should be arrested and deep-sixed in jail, or, alternatively shot dead by the nearest Good Samaritan, under the pretext that the noise-makers were mistaken for armed robbers.

Guy you dey vex o
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by sweetrace(f): 12:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
‎​I trust you heard about the Jankara banger fire. As of last night, the count was one dead and forty wounded.
Re: Do Fire Crackers Start Fire? Share Your Experience by victme1(m): 1:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
i once poured petrol in to a cough syrup bottle. Then i ignite the knock-out (my intension was to drop the knockout into the bottle)purposed was to see what will happen when the knock out explode in the bottle. Alast my saving grace was that my fingers were shaking so badly out of anxiety that i missed the bottle before the knockout explode. It brunt the skin on two of my fingers. When i have gathered enough courage next time, i will still try it again to see what will happen to the bottle.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy New Year / His Experience At Kirikiri Prisons /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.