Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,615 members, 7,770,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:20 PM

10 Things Never To Say To Your Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child (30256 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Things You Should Never Say To Your Partner During A Fight / Things Never To Do When You End A Relationship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
Through my work, I’ve had the privilege of speaking to and working with thousands of students, young adults and parents.

Two things have become painfully obvious to me.

First, it’s extraordinarily difficult to be a world-class parent.

Second, a significant proportion of students and young adults’ frustrations are caused by their parents.

I’m not a parent myself, but I’ve observed what many parents say to their children, which can negatively impact them—sometimes for life.

From a child and a student’s perspective, here are 10 things that parents should never say:

1. “You’re useless” or “You’re a failure”

It’s shocking how many parents say this to their children in a fit of anger.

This is the type of phrase that can scar children deeply, and can make them doubt their worth as a human being.

2. “I know what’s best for you”

As a parent, you might feel like you really do know what’s best for your children, but using this phrase is not at all effective in convincing them that you're right.

Instead, parents should do all they can to empower their children to take full responsibility for their choices and their life.

3. “Because I said so!”

This is another phrase that’s unlikely to be persuasive.

Parents need to establish boundaries for their children, but “Because I said so” isn’t enough reason for children to be convinced that staying within those boundaries is a good idea.

4. “I told you so”

It’s tempting for parents to say this when it turns out that their advice that their children had ignored was, in fact, correct.

If you’re a parent, I urge you to refrain from using this phrase. Saying “I told you so” is sure to annoy your children and to cause strain in the relationship.

5. “So clever!”

Here are some instances where parents might exclaim “So clever!”:

A two-year-old keeps his or her toys after playing with them
A three-year-old says “Thank you” after receiving a present
A 12-year-old decides to learn about Einstein’s theory of relativity

Parents (and all of us, in general) have subconsciously come to associate responsibility, politeness and curiosity with “cleverness”.

When they do this, however, they begin to unintentionally tell their children that intelligence is all-important, when in fact most of us would agree that integrity and morals are even more important.

Parents should emphasize character and values, while not neglecting the worth of hard work and a love for learning.

When parents praise their child, they should be specific, rather than just saying "So clever!"

For example, they could say "That was kind of you to help that lady carry her groceries" or "That was generous of you to share your toys with your friend".

6. “Why can’t you be more like…”

It’s natural for parents to draw comparisons to other children, but doing so can cause psychological damage to their own children.

Parents ought to focus on what makes their children unique, and encourage them to be the best version of themselves that they can be, instead of merely trying to be better than others.

7. “I wish you weren’t my son/daughter”

Some parents say this when they’re feeling especially frustrated or upset with their children.

I’ve spoken to students whose parents had said this to them more than 10 years earlier, but they still harboured immense bitterness and resentment toward their parents for making such a hurtful statement.

8. “You’re such a terrible boy/girl!”

Children have a strange way of becoming the kind of person that their parents, as well as those closest to them, imagine them to be.

When a child misbehaves, parents could say something like this instead: “This is so unlike you. You’re usually such a considerate and responsible boy. You’ll still be punished for misbehaving, but this is really not like you at all to do something so naughty.”

9. “You always…” or “You never…”

When trying to correct their child’s behaviour, it’s much more effective for parents to point out specific instances or examples, rather than tell their child that “You always forget to do your chores” or “You never keep your promises”.

10.“Don’t argue with me”

When parents say this during a disagreement, they cause their child to feel even angrier and less willing to obey or compromise.

Parents should reason with their child and explain their perspective calmly. It’s crucial that parents don’t lose their cool!

In closing…

As a parent, you have the ability to powerfully influence your children’s future and destiny.

What a noble yet daunting responsibility!

To all of you parents reading this article: I know you’re up to the challenge

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/10-things-parents-never-children-033158555.html

26 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
jammyng: 10 things that parents should never say:

1. “You’re useless” or “You’re a failure”

2. “I know what’s best for you”

3. “Because I said so!”

4. “I told you so”

5. “So clever!”

7. “I wish you weren’t my son/daughter”

8. “You’re such a terrible boy/girl!”

9. “You always…” or “You never…”

10.“Don’t argue with me”

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/10-things-parents-never-children-033158555.html

nice list.
bolded are the most annoying on the list.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by 80million1: 4:34pm On Dec 27, 2012
*speechless*

am i 2nd?
Pls tell me it ain't true!

@ post...
We need to always raise the confidence level of our children!
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sunymoore(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
Dnt saying GARRI be ur habit because if u grew up and say it on nairaland, dey go ban and turn u to mumu.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Iaz93: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
OK
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
Most of these were/ are used by me and my siblings cheesy.

Our parents said most to us but that made us hard knocks that we started using it among ourselves jokingly. cheesy

Nice points anyway.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by 80million1: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sunymoore: Dnt saying GARRI be ur habit because if u grew up and say it on nairaland, dey go ban and turn u to mumu.

*speechless*
i can't comprehend what you wrote. I don't want to believe u wrote in English!

9 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by IYANGBALI: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
My parents said a lot of bad things than all these to me,I no die o,abeg make we hear word jo all dis oyinbo theory no dey work for here

11 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Eneze1(f): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
nice list, parents and intending parents should take note.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by mascot87(m): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
cheesy
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by cantell(m): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
Op,
if they can't say anything on that list, then it means you want them to keep their mouth shut.
No naija parents can do without saying one or two things on that list.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Gabrielsylar(m): 4:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
Inshort don't talk to ur child just sharrap

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by 4chi: 4:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
IYA NGBALI: My parents said a lot of bad things than all these to me,I no die o,abeg make we here word jo all dis oyinbo theory no dey work for here

Thank you jare.. I tire for all these cut and paste. For me, the most important thing is to teach your child about positive values and the reality of what life is all about and not all these lost afrophobic children all over the place who are more oyinbo than oyinbos themselves...

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by SlyIg(f): 4:50pm On Dec 27, 2012
Someone shld tell Oga Seun to remove the advertisement page that opens each time i'm trying to read the first thread here since he has refuse to let us place our garri advert for free. Why shld i be seeing his advert page instead of the thread i opened! Is that suppose to be business strategy or sense? I'm annoyed. Someone shld beg me o ...
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by tosenbaba(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
we grew up with these words,but i thank God now when i look back,thought they were bad words but some were used to set us back on track and make us stay focus and also to bring out the best in a kid...So its not all that bad for a reasonable kid

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
cantell: Op,
if they can't say anything on that list, then it means you want them to keep their mouth shut.

No mind am.

I looked at the source and I could see it was, as expected, a western source.

I should never tell my child "Because I said so"? ......................Yeah right!

People with failed child-rearing skills should not come and lecture me how to raise a child. Not even if their skin pigment is white!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by 5much(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
never use negative words on ur children.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by dnawah(m): 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
jammyng: Through my work, I’ve had the privilege of speaking to and working with thousands of students, young adults and parents.

Second, a significant proportion of students and young adults’ frustrations are caused by their parents.

I’m not a parent myself, but I’ve observed what many parents say to their children, which can negatively impact them—sometimes for life.

From a child and a student’s perspective, here are 10 things that parents should never say:

This is the type of phrase that can scar children deeply, and can make them doubt their worth as a human being.

As a parent, you might feel like you really do know what’s best for your children, but using this phrase is not at all effective in convincing them that you're right.

Instead, parents should do all they can to empower their children to take full responsibility for their choices and their life.

3. “Because I said so!”

Parents need to establish boundaries for their children, but “Because I said so” isn’t enough reason for children to be convinced that staying within those boundaries is a good idea.

4. “I told you so”

It’s tempting for parents to say this when it turns out that their advice that their children had ignored was, in fact, correct.

If you’re a parent, I urge you to refrain from using this phrase. Saying “I told you so” is sure to annoy your children and to cause strain in the relationship.

5. “So clever!”

Parents (and all of us, in general) have subconsciously come to associate responsibility, politeness and curiosity with “cleverness”.

When they do this, however, they begin to unintentionally tell their children that intelligence is all-important, when in fact most of us would agree that integrity and morals are even more important.

Parents should emphasize character and values, while not neglecting the worth of hard work and a love for learning.

When parents praise their child, they should be specific, rather than just saying "So clever!"

For example, they could say "That was kind of you to help that lady carry her groceries" or "That was generous of you to share your toys with your friend".

It’s natural for parents to draw comparisons to other children, but doing so can cause psychological damage to their own children.

Parents ought to focus on what makes their children unique, and encourage them to be the best version of themselves that they can be, instead of merely trying to be better than others.

Some parents say this when they’re feeling especially frustrated or upset with their children.

I’ve spoken to students whose parents had said this to them more than 10 years earlier, but they still harboured immense bitterness and resentment toward their parents for making such a hurtful statement.

Children have a strange way of becoming the kind of person that their parents, as well as those closest to them, imagine them to be.

When a child misbehaves, parents could say something like this instead: “This is so unlike you. You’re usually such a considerate and responsible boy. You’ll still be punished for misbehaving, but this is really not like you at all to do something so naughty.”

When trying to correct their child’s behaviour, it’s much more effective for parents to point out specific instances or examples, rather than tell their child that “You always forget to do your chores” or “You never keep your promises”.

10.“Don’t argue with me”

When parents say this during a disagreement, they cause their child to feel even angrier and less willing to obey or compromise.

Parents should reason with their child and explain their perspective calmly. It’s crucial that parents don’t lose their cool!

In closing…

As a parent, you have the ability to powerfully influence your children’s future and destiny.

;-> 666
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Reptyle(m): 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
4chi:

Thank you jare.. I tire for all these cut and paste. For me, the most important thing is to teach your child about positive values and the reality of what life is all about and not all these lost afrophobic children all over the place who are more oyinbo than oyinbos themselves...

...and I guess using some or all of the listed phrases on your children is the best way of teaching your child about "positive values and the reality of what life is all about" abi??

All that the OP is saying basically is, be careful what you say to and around your children. That point can't be over emphasized.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
My mum always compares with some dude which i find very irritating as if the guy is the best.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by dnawah(m): 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
jammyng: Through my work, I’ve had the privilege of speaking to and working with thousands of students, young adults and parents.

3. “Because I said so!”

4. “I told you so”

5. “So clever!”

10.“Don’t argue with me”

In closing…

;-> 666
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by gbanikiti(m): 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2012
As i don mature finish,my mama still dey tell me "my pikin,i know wetin good for you.shebi you know say i carry you for 9months for belle".Can you imagine? I no know say na 9months you carry me before? My mama sef funny sha.All the same na my mama she be.i go love her till death!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
To all of you who think saying these things to your children isn't a big deal, well, I have just one thing to say, no wonder Nigeria is like this.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 5:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
gbanikiti: As i don mature finish,my mama still dey tell me "my pikin,i know wetin good for you.shebi you know say i carry you for 9months for belle".Can you imagine? I no know say na 9months you carry me before? My mama sef funny sha.All the same na my mama she be.i go love her till death!

Somehow, according to the mugu that wrote that article, her saying that will damage you. Maybe even for life. grin grin grin grin

Oyinbo don talk am. We have to agree. grin
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Dec 27, 2012

This kind of statement can scar a child for life.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Gee001: 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
9ce post though but it all depends. Those words could make or mar children but i'm an exception cos those words actually made me stronger.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Melancholy(m): 5:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
Hmmn...pls can any parent for naija do without this?this can only be apply in the U.S not here.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
cantell: Op,
lol

Good topic btw
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
Gee001: 9ce post though but it all depends. Those words could make or mar children but i'm an exception cos those words actually made me stronger.

Some of the terms I am against, but for most of them, it really depends on:

- The personality of the child.
- The environmental influences.
- The circumstance and instance.

I don't see how you can scar a child if you praise him virtually all the time and one day he does something egregriously wrong and you say "you are such a terrible boy".

What nonsense!!! Scar kor, Scholes ni!

Bleeding heart, funky ediots!
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Djtm(m): 5:18pm On Dec 27, 2012
There's nothing wrong with parents saying "I know what's best for you" they are right 85% of the time they say this.
Comparing other children to you can sometimes be hilarious when the mentioned kids are even worse than you are. U just keep quiet and start laughing suddenly.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by DollyParton1(f): 5:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
IYA NGBALI: My parents said a lot of bad things than all these to me,I no die o,abeg make we here word jo all dis oyinbo theory no dey work for here

4chi:

My parents never used any of those words on us, and we all grew up to be responsible adults they are both proud of.

You dont need those words to train a child.
Mind u, my siblings and I are born and bred in naija, so it not about oyinbo anything.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Kills Wife. Says She Infected Him With HIV / Divorce Lawyers In D House, Pls I Need Some Advice / Carpenter Killed By Live High Tension Wire, Wife Dies Hours After (PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.