Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 (19313 Views)

"Phone Numbers May Disappear In 2016" / Tecno Partners With Blackberry On BBM For Android Application / Browse With Your Blackberry On Pc As Modem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by jedisco(m): 10:58am On Dec 28, 2012
*double post deleted*
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by kodebin(m): 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
Its all about Choice Pals.. Nigeria and their incessant arguments.. What do we need a smartphone for?? The Primary reason is for internet connectivity.. With an Iphone, only the fairly rich can browse.. A normal student can afford Curve 7 BB for as low as 37k and use #1500 to be online for a month and do his assignments,Projects and research.. How can sum1 that's not working buy an android or an iphone ranging from 95-120k and still pay 8k to Be online for a month.. That Sh*t Cray...

As long as BB is concerned, its educating us the more about using the internet since almost everybody can afford it..

Erybody's entitled to his opinion buh u find out that all these peeps saying iphone and android rocks Use a BB in Background.. Lolz..

My 2 cents Though..
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by adconline(m): 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2012
jedisco:

I don't know how you managed to get everything in your post wrong or maybe you just love pulling numbers from your anus.

1. Nigeria has well over 2 million BB users.
2. Half of BB users here buy them used? Please provide proof for this or throw it into the dustbin where you picked it from.
3.BBs are not to popular in Europe and America but are still very popular in Asia and Africa which is still a very significant market.
4. Following your logic, Apple just launched its first iPhone in China. If China was a huge market, they would have done that several years ago.
FYI China currently has the most smartphone users in the world..

Now you've seen your post was baseless, why not tell us the number of smartphones LG, Motorola, Sony Erickson and the whole lot of non-samsung OEMs sold in the last quarter and you would see that RIM are just as likely as they are to survive.

For a mathematically and analytically challenged like you.
You did not cite any source where u got ur 5mil BB users from.
Economist says Naija has 4mil smartphone users with BB accounting for 50% of the market share. 50% of 4mil is ?
Even with your bandied 5mil BB users in Naija, it still accounts for 6.4% of BB global market, thus, it's very insignificant and cannot SAVE RIM. This ur 5mil figure is not taking into account that most people buy their phones used.. So Naija does not COUNT!
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by sinade1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
kodebin: Its all about Choice Pals.. Nigeria and their incessant arguments.. What do we need a smartphone for?? The Primary reason is for internet connectivity.. With an Iphone, only the fairly rich can browse.. A normal student can afford Curve 7 BB for as low as 37k and use #1500 to be online for a month and do his assignments,Projects and research.. How can sum1 that's not working buy an android or an iphone ranging from 95-120k and still pay 8k to Be online for a month.. That Sh*t Cray...

As long as BB is concerned, its educating us the more about using the internet since almost everybody can afford it..

Erybody's entitled to his opinion buh u find out that all these peeps saying iphone and android rocks Use a BB in Background.. Lolz..

My 2 cents Though..

Seems you didn't read the topicsadBlackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013). Nigeria was not mentioned there.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by jedisco(m): 3:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
adconline:

For a mathematically and analytically challenged like you.
You did not cite any source where u got ur 5mil BB users from.
Economist says Naija has 4mil smartphone users with BB accounting for 50% of the market share. 50% of 4mil is ?
Even with your bandied 5mil BB users in Naija, it still accounts for 6.4% of BB global market, thus, it's very insignificant and cannot SAVE RIM. This ur 5mil figure is not taking into account that most people buy their phones used.. So Naija does not COUNT!

I see your problem is one that has to do with inferiority complex based on falsehood but let me try and put you in place.

1. I never said we have 5 million BB users. I said we have about 5 million smartphone users currently. ( http://www.nairarains.com/2012nigeria-smartphone-users-expected-to-hit-25-million-in-2016/ )

2. As of July 2011 we had about 1.2 million BB users. By February this year, that number had reached 2.4 million. Now that's double in just about 6 months.
( http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/25088-blackberry-hits-1million-mark-in-nigeria ) ( http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/32167-blackberry-hits-24-million-mark-in-nigeria ).

3. Now take such fast growth rates and add them to other developing nations like SA and Indonesia. The fact is that the markets RIM dominates are the rapidly expanding ones and if that trend continues, they would be here for a very long time. Most of the developed markets are not growing that fast.

4. You might think the figures from such markets don't matter, but as of the last quarter, RIM, HTC, LG, Sony, e.t.c all shipped smartphones between the 6 and 8 million mark.
If the current trend continues, then RIM may survive longer than most of them especially with BB10 arriving.

5. Also I don't know where you get it that most BBs sold are used. Maybe that's your experience but I know alot of people that have bought BBs in the recent past and not even one was secondhand.

6. Lastly maybe you should read this to see what others think of Nigeria and like countries in the role they have played and may play in safeguarding BB. Though they got some numbers wrong, it's still an interesting read because life does not start and end with Europe and America. http://crackberry.com/some-interesting-blackberry-statistics-nigeria
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by lekkie073(m): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2012
kodebin: Its all about Choice Pals.. Nigeria and their incessant arguments.. What do we need a smartphone for?? The Primary reason is for internet connectivity.. With an Iphone, only the fairly rich can browse.. A normal student can afford Curve 7 BB for as low as 37k and use #1500 to be online for a month and do his assignments,Projects and research.. How can sum1 that's not working buy an android or an iphone ranging from 95-120k and still pay 8k to Be online for a month.. That Sh*t Cray...

My 2 cents Though..
i use an android device while still using airtel's bb package....
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by abdulwasiumuhd: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2012
i dont give a dem still on my bb till infinity go jasi konga
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Abbott(m): 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Well, this is a fact: whatever I love, most people will love it too and If I like BB10 when it is out, RIM will be in your faces next year and beyond!
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by adconline(m): 5:10pm On Dec 28, 2012
jedisco:

I see your problem is one that has to do with inferiority complex based on falsehood but let me try and put you in place.

1. I never said we have 5 million BB users. I said we have about 5 million smartphone users currently. ( http://www.nairarains.com/2012nigeria-smartphone-users-expected-to-hit-25-million-in-2016/ )

2. As of July 2011 we had about 1.2 million BB users. By February this year, that number had reached 2.4 million. Now that's double in just about 6 months.
( http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/25088-blackberry-hits-1million-mark-in-nigeria ) ( http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/tech/telecoms/32167-blackberry-hits-24-million-mark-in-nigeria ).

3. Now take such fast growth rates and add them to other developing nations like SA and Indonesia. The fact is that the markets RIM dominates are the rapidly expanding ones and if that trend continues, they would be here for a very long time. Most of the developed markets are not growing that fast.

4. You might think the figures from such markets don't matter, but as of the last quarter, RIM, HTC, LG, Sony, e.t.c all shipped smartphones between the 6 and 8 million mark.
If the current trend continues, then RIM may survive longer than most of them especially with BB10 arriving.

5. Also I don't know where you get it that most BBs sold are used. Maybe that's your experience but I know alot of people that have bought BBs in the recent past and not even one was secondhand.

6. Lastly maybe you should read this to see what others think of Nigeria and like countries in the role they have played and may play in safeguarding BB. Though they got some numbers wrong, it's still an interesting read because life does not start and end with Europe and America. http://crackberry.com/some-interesting-blackberry-statistics-nigeria

Ur problem is in arithmetic. Naija is less than 5% to sustain RIM.
Apple sold about 100m iPhones last yr while RIM has less than 80million users globally
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by jedisco(m): 6:05pm On Dec 28, 2012
adconline:

Ur problem is in arithmetic. Naija is less than 5% to sustain RIM.
Apple sold about 100m iPhones last yr while RIM has less than 80million users globally

Your problem is that you lack sound logic i.e. you can't reason properly.

Just show me where I said Nigeria alone can sustain RIM.

I'm sick and tired of coming to NL and seeing ignorant folks ravaged with inferiority complex who cannot analyse issues at it relates to us in Nigeria. They rather think anything happening in America must be replicated here.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Leventis(m): 6:40pm On Dec 28, 2012
This is nothing but a mere speculation. The author of this post forgot to take notice of the fact that the telecom companies in Nigeria has their cheapest and best internet services in blackberry, and this has giving it an edge over other smartphones in Nigeria, and the Africa market at large. Furthermore, blackberry apps are designed to suit it's users regardles of the person's location, unlike other smartphones that has apps that are designed to work only in some particular countries for example, some android phones don't browse in Nigeria. Athough, i'm not saying that RIM has no rival in the smartphone market. In fact, there is need for competition to keep the prices and qualities in check. However, in midst of these rivals, blackberry is still standing tall above all”. Dear reader, i live you with this question “imagine a world were everyone have a blackberry?”
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by passion007: 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2012
jedisco:

If these figures you have cited are truly relevant to RIM, it ratifies the story that the company has been scratching the bottom of the pot...a portent of impending demise, given RIM's history.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by donpata(m): 11:47pm On Dec 28, 2012
mazinaija: Blackberry remains the best

ure obviously 1 of dose who wasted money on a phone strictly made 4 chatting... Our pple say - a child who has nt movd round d village wil alwaz claim his fathers farm is biggest''
when it comes 2 phone, what will i b doing wit a BB wen Nokia stil produces MACHINES...

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by donpata(m): 11:51pm On Dec 28, 2012
Leventis: This is nothing but a mere speculation. The author of this post forgot to take notice of the fact that the telecom companies in Nigeria has their cheapest and best internet services in blackberry, and this has giving it an edge over other smartphones in Nigeria, and the Africa market at large. Furthermore, blackberry apps are designed to suit it's users regardles of the person's location, unlike other smartphones that has apps that are designed to work only in some particular countries for example, some android phones don't browse in Nigeria. Athough, i'm not saying that RIM has no rival in the smartphone market. In fact, there is need for competition to keep the prices and qualities in check. However, in midst of these rivals, blackberry is still standing tall above all”. Dear reader, i live you with this question “imagine a world were everyone have a blackberry?”
Obviously, uve not xperienced major Nokia and Samsung MACHINES... Ure lost in pinging....

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Ochek: 12:08am On Dec 29, 2012
Show me one thing that a BB does and my dear Nokia can't.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 12:48am On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by jedisco(m): 5:58am On Dec 29, 2012
passion007: If these figures you have cited are truly relevant to RIM, it ratifies the story that the company has been scratching the bottom of the pot...a portent of impending demise, given RIM's history.

Yes they are just like LG, Nokia, HTC, Sony e.t.c are currently doing and Apple and Samsung once did.

In a rapidly evolving market like the smartphone industry, the ability to react to change remains critical for survival and RIM are starting to do that. Do you really think that in say 7 years time Apple and Samsung would still be ruling the smartphone industry?
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Joezik(m): 8:40am On Dec 29, 2012
Im nt into bb buh in terms of internet in nigeria, blackberry rocks. 1500 a month, dude i spend thrice dat on my Nokia E71(medium range symbian) which beats bb in terms of app,twks.evrytin expect d abv mention.Due to internet cost, am getin my blackberry.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by KazaaUpload: 7:33pm On Dec 29, 2012
jedisco:

Your problem is that you lack sound logic i.e. you can't reason properly.

Just show me where I said Nigeria alone can sustain RIM.

I'm sick and tired of coming to NL and seeing ignorant folks ravaged with inferiority complex who cannot analyse issues at it relates to us in Nigeria. They rather think anything happening in America must be replicated here.

Bros I agree with your logic but you missing the big picture.
Although there are probably no statistics on how many of the phones sold in Nigeria are 2nd hand, anecdotal evidence suggests it is a large number. You don't have to be a genius to notice this, and it's why terms such as "UK used" are such a big part of our language.
But more importantly though, is that even if all of the Nigerian and African sales were brand new, RIM would still be struggling. Why?
Well, most of the newer BB phones sold in Africa are low or mid range at best.....and RIM make very low profit margins on selling those. It's okay for the like of Hauwei and some other android makers to sell dirt-cheap phones in developing markets, because these are low-cost companies that produced cheap phones and sell many of them at low margins, they make up for the low margin with high volumes, long term, that wouldn't really work for RIM cos that's not their business model; they have a high cost base.

Also, many of the Android manufacturers benefit from having Google (android) behind them, and Nokia now has Windows.

It makes logical sense to use a BlackBerry in Naija and I agree with yo about the inferiority complex. If you can browse for N1500 per month unlimited, then that's a no-brainier. But RIM would NEVER be able to compete with the bug boys if it continues to struggle in developed markets, where the bigger profits are to be made. Samsung has top end phones (galaxy s3, Note etc), mid range and low end.....phones for each persons income level. It works for then. Apple Iphone only targets the top end and still it sells so many. Where does RIM fit in? He Playbook was budgeted to sell at $500 and now they are selling online for less than $100. Do you think that's sustainable, even if the whole of Nigeria snapped them up?

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by leslieu63(m): 1:07am On Dec 30, 2012
?
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by jedisco(m): 10:39am On Dec 31, 2012
KazaaUpload:

Bros I agree with your logic but you missing the big picture.
Although there are probably no statistics on how many of the phones sold in Nigeria are 2nd hand, anecdotal evidence suggests it is a large number. You don't have to be a genius to notice this, and it's why terms such as "UK used" are such a big part of our language.
But more importantly though, is that even if all of the Nigerian and African sales were brand new, RIM would still be struggling. Why?
Well, most of the newer BB phones sold in Africa are low or mid range at best.....and RIM make very low profit margins on selling those. It's okay for the like of Hauwei and some other android makers to sell dirt-cheap phones in developing markets, because these are low-cost companies that produced cheap phones and sell many of them at low margins, they make up for the low margin with high volumes, long term, that wouldn't really work for RIM cos that's not their business model; they have a high cost base.

Also, many of the Android manufacturers benefit from having Google (android) behind them, and Nokia now has Windows.

It makes logical sense to use a BlackBerry in Naija and I agree with yo about the inferiority complex. If you can browse for N1500 per month unlimited, then that's a no-brainier. But RIM would NEVER be able to compete with the bug boys if it continues to struggle in developed markets, where the bigger profits are to be made. Samsung has top end phones (galaxy s3, Note etc), mid range and low end.....phones for each persons income level. It works for then. Apple Iphone only targets the top end and still it sells so many. Where does RIM fit in? He Playbook was budgeted to sell at $500 and now they are selling online for less than $100. Do you think that's sustainable, even if the whole of Nigeria snapped them up?

The thing is that you don't get me at all.

1. Alot of secondhand phones are sold in Nigeria but that does not change the fact that the majority are new ones. If that wasn't the case, you won't be seeing OEMs setting up base here.

2. About the pricing of BB phones, this is what RIMs regional director had to say

"The most common misconception
about what we do here is that we are
mainly selling the cheaper models. The
reality is that there is a hierarchy even
within the BlackBerry owning class and
we sell right the way through the range from $200 to $500 handsets,"
( http://crackberry.com/some-interesting-blackberry-statistics-nigeria )

You may not like it but alot of expensive phones being sold in Nigeria are BBs.
This is also occurring in most of Africa and parts of Asia and South America. If RIM can capture these markets, then it may not need Europe as much as you guys think.
A dollar made from Nigeria is thesame as that made from England.

The fact that Symbian ruled the smartphone world with little or no input from America should always ring a bell.

3. I agree with you that the road up for RIM is a tough one especially if you consider the fact that they single-handedly make both the OS and hardware, but they still have an edge giving the fact that they're doing well in rapidly growing markets unlike all non-samsung and Apple OEMs that are doing badly everywhere.

Like they say, numbers don't lie. RIM is still selling more smarts or like numbers than most others. So why do you think the likes of HTC, Sony and LG would survive but not RIM?

4. Lastly, the playbooks sold for less than $100 are not new but refurbished ones.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Youngpo413: 12:31am On Jan 05, 2013
To be sincere,I hate blackberry so much and I don`t know why.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Mafia4life(m): 8:08am On Jan 05, 2013
huni_naija: Whether it becomes extinct or not the blackberry will remain one of my favorite phones, the love i have for it cannot be comprehended altho slowly and slyly iv been cheating on it with my iphone 4s... grin

Will miss you my beauriful BB... Iphone tinzz 2013 cool
The moment I read this post, I had to check the username. Same Ole shyt... Same type of people... And who am I talking about here? GIRLSSSSS...
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 18, 2013
THE DEATH OF BB, IS FINALLY HERE
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by TechyGuy: 10:54am On Sep 18, 2013
BlackBerry died when Nigerian babe's started asking their sugar daddies for Samsung Galaxies instead. grin grin grin

Jokes apart, blackberry is like the old pops who refused to stop driving his volkswagen beetle car insisting it's the most fuel efficient car ever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Clear Signs Your Phone Was Hacked / FG Again Extends NIN Deadline By 8 Weeks / Official Updated PA Google Apps For All Rom's [4.4.x]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.