Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,467 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:53 PM

African Women And Wigs - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / African Women And Wigs (4261 Views)

African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / Beautiful native wear- Men, Women And Kids / ***Hair For African Women*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 5:58pm On Dec 27, 2012
Why do our women particulary here in Africa
depend on wigs and weave-ons?
You can hardly see a lady strolling past with her natural hair flowing.
Instead you will see them with all manner of wigs perched on their heads.
Some of those even looked like hats and is 'so obvious' that the wearer ends up looking
ludicrous(hilarious) instead of the intended
attractive.
In the case of weave-ons, some look like rastafari prophetess just because they are ashamed of their natural beauty.>
So I ask again >>Why??

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by MrsChima(f): 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
Y do u care
!
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 6:29pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Y do u care
!
Why do I care?
Okay, lets see. Women in my family doesn't go out anymore without some kind of artificial hair attached to their head.
Gone are the days when they would flaunt their natural hair and compare with each other on which one has the longer hair.
Nowadays, it's more like who has the better wig or weave-on.
So I do care very much indeed my dear.

2 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by DandeNumeruno(m): 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2012
From the time of yore, our women have always been in awe of white women. Dressing like them, speaking like them, eating like them, even making love like them. So is it of any wonder that they would wear artificial hair so that their hair will be like them(white women) to level the playing field in that department as well.

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 6:49pm On Dec 27, 2012
Dan_de_Numeruno: From the time of yore, our women have always been in awe of white women. Dressing like them, speaking like them, eating like them, even making love like them. So is it of any wonder that they would wear artificial hair so that their hair will be like them(white women) to level the playing field in that department as well.
Lol!

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by MrsChima(f): 7:02pm On Dec 27, 2012
I guess this will change price of garri.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Sijo01(f): 7:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
Frostyzone:
Why do I care?
Okay, lets see. Women in my family doesn't go out anymore without some kind of artificial hair attached to their head.
Gone are the days when they would flaunt their natural hair and compare with each other on which one has the longer hair.
Nowadays, it's more like who has the better wig or weave-on.
So I do care very much indeed my dear.

How about channeling the 'why' to the women in your family?
Re: African Women And Wigs by k2039: 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
[color=soyouquotedme]It's been long I saw your moniker, happy new year in advance. [/color]
Re: African Women And Wigs by MrsChima(f): 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2012
k2039:
[color=soyouquotedme]It's been long I saw your moniker, happy new year in advance. [/color]

Same sugar!!

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
So are you trying to make us understand that our babes in Africa are fake people?
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 7:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sijo01:

How about channeling the 'why' to the women in your family?
Only if it starts and end with them. But it's a continental fever.
I bet you are even wearing one right now.

2 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 7:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
tpacalipse: So are you trying to make us understand that our babes in Africa are fake people?
No, they are not. It's just that inferiority complex is playing a big part in their fashion sense, that's all.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 7:27pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
It might...who knows.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Lovetinz(m): 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2012
Hmm..
I remember when I told my girl the only hairstyle I like is 'plaited secondary school style'.
She said 'abi you mean say you no wan pay!' so I bribed her with a ladies chronograph to get the darn thing off her head.

Running my hand through natural hair and sniffing it is pure bliss to me.
I hate wigs!

4 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
Lovetinz: Hmm..
I remember when I told my girl the only hairstyle I like is 'plaited secondary school style'.
She said 'abi you mean say you no wan pay!' so I bribed her with a ladies chronograph to get the darn thing of her head.

Running my hand through natural hair and sniffing it is pure bliss to me.
I hate wigs!
It's a pity that a lot of our ladies wouldn't agree with you. But never mind, your heart is in the right place.
Re: African Women And Wigs by giftmurphy(f): 8:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
not all women...different people with different views
Re: African Women And Wigs by Adaeze003(f): 8:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
Frostyzone:
No, they are not. It's just that inferiority complex is playing a big part in their fashion sense, that's all.

Everything is now caused by inferiority complex. Mtcheew!
Re: African Women And Wigs by Sijo01(f): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Frostyzone:
Only if it starts and end with them. But it's a continental fever.
I bet you are even wearing one right now.

Sorry to disappoint you, dude! I an't wearing no wig.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sijo01:

Sorry to disappoint you, dude! I an't wearing no wig.
Really? That would make you one of the very few African ladies walking around with their natural hair in the open, then.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 8:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
Adaeze003:

Everything is now caused by inferiority complex. Mtcheew!
If not inferiority complex, then what?
Re: African Women And Wigs by Adaeze003(f): 9:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
I'm a proud Nigerian so I'm gonna answer your question with a question.
What about the mohawk hair style I now see on you guys' head?
What about all the fashion trends that started from the west?
Is inferiority complex also the cause?
Call it fake or anything just don't use the inferiority complex line..
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
Adaeze003: I'm a proud Nigerian so I'm gonna answer your question with a question.
What about the mohawk hair style I now see on you guys' head?
What about all the fashion trends that started from the west?
Is inferiority complex also the cause?
Call it fake or anything just don't use the inferiority complex line..
Even if some guys style their hair in Mohawk fashion, it's still all their hairs, no attachment.
And last time I checked Mohawk originated from native Amerindian culture. It has nothing to do with the West whatsoever.
As for fashion trends, their is nothing wrong with looking good and trendy, so far as you do it in an original manner. Our men tend to be more original than the ladies in that department.
Atleast you don't see us attaching fake hairs to our hairs to look good.
Fact is, the ladies will look much better without them if only they will have the patience to cultivate and groom their own hairs.
Every year Africa imported wigs more than all the other continents put together.
Why so dependent on fake hairs? Mostly because they feel unreasonably insecure with their own.
So it all boils down to inferiority complex, Sis.

4 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 1:24am On Dec 28, 2012
Mtcheew! Men and their stup!d!ty!

Didn't you know our ancestors use to add extensions to their hair way before the whites came?

Look in the mirror before chastising women. Don't you wear the white man's suit? Don't you wear the white man's attire more than you wear the african attire? Does it mean you want to be white?
Re: African Women And Wigs by Nobody: 4:10am On Dec 28, 2012
Something like this;

Re: African Women And Wigs by Nobody: 4:13am On Dec 28, 2012
I prefer haircut like this one below

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 5:51am On Dec 28, 2012
kandiikane: Mtcheew! Men and their stup!d!ty!

Didn't you know our ancestors use to add extensions to their hair way before the whites came?

Look in the mirror before chastising women. Don't you wear the white man's suit? Don't you wear the white man's attire more than you w [quote author=kandiikane]Mtcheew! Men and their stup!d!ty!

Look in the mirror before chastising women. Don't you wear the white man's suit? Don't you wear the white man's attire more than you wear the african attire? Does it mean you want to be white?
Like I said before, there is nothing wrong with looking trendy so far as you do it an original manner.
@payless just proved some of my points with picture one.
The woman in the picture looks like a caricature.

Picture 5 would have proven my point on looking trendy in an original way but for that cheap tatoo on her beefy arm.

Picture 3 looks good and stylish, but she dare not walk out in the street looking like that. Our people would not understand and might paint her as an eccentric.

Picture 2 and 4 is nothing but wardrobe malfunctions. Geez, they look like corner street hookers for crying out loud!

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 28, 2012
very funny stuff
Re: African Women And Wigs by tny60(f): 6:49am On Dec 28, 2012
african women wear wigs because they want to attract men. and 90% of african men mostly prefer long, silky hair which african women don't have naturally.
maybe you are in the 1% that prefer plaits and natural hair. but most men don't. they always pick the weave-on lady over the natural lady.

ps: if a woman has enough money to get it done correctly, it will look good.
but if you do it cheaply, it looks bad. just the same way natural hair or plaits can look bad if you don't take care of it.

so to answer your question, we wear wigs for you kiss your choices in women have told us that is what you prefer. and that is why we do it.
so men, it is up to you to give you wife or girlfriend enough MONEY for her hair so she can look good with her weave.

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by tny60(f): 6:56am On Dec 28, 2012
Re: African Women And Wigs by Adaeze003(f): 6:58am On Dec 28, 2012
Frostyzone:
Even if some guys style their hair in Mohawk fashion, it's still all their hairs, no attachment.
And last time I checked Mohawk originated from native Amerindian culture. It has nothing to do with the West whatsoever.
As for fashion trends, their is nothing wrong with looking good and trendy, so far as you do it in an original manner. Our men tend to be more original than the ladies in that department.
Atleast you don't see us attaching fake hairs to our hairs to look good.
Fact is, the ladies will look much better without them if only they will have the patience to cultivate and groom their own hairs.
Every year Africa imported wigs more than all the other continents put together.
Why so dependent on fake hairs? Mostly because they feel unreasonably insecure with their own.
So it all boils down to inferiority complex, Sis.
So now we are also insecure? Wtf? Like seriously, what are you going on and on about? Its not bad to look trendy but girls use weaves coz they're insecure? how is it possible that you have never thought of it as part of the trends and fashion? Why are you being myopic over a trivial issue?
You also said that girls in your family use weaves,does it also mean that they(and 90% of girls in nigeria) are all insecure?
What about white gurls that use extensions? Is it also due to inferiority complex?
"Opinions are like arse holes, every one has one"

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Long Does It Take You To Tie A Gele? / Waist Chain, A Must Have Accessory For Every Woman / Plss I Need Address Of A Nice Photography Studio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.