Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Atheism Or Anti-theism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Or Anti-theism (671 Views)

The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 / Anti-christ Or Anti-messiah: On Whose Side Are You? / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Or Anti-theism by tobechi20(m): 11:14pm On Dec 27, 2012
Atheist not/no religon
antitheist against religon

when xtian gather,they discus on theiir belief. When atheist gather,they dont discus their non belief. They discus religous belief and castigate them.

In nairaland, they open thread on some xtian practice and make redicule on it. They bring a 25 and half reason why it sound stupid. Why dont they practice atheism without criticizn theist.y d movement frm atheist to antitheist

1 Like

Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 28, 2012
Good morning Tobe,

Though I believe too much attention is being given to the topic of Atheism and Atheists but I guess I understand why this is so. I know for sure that we have very few vocal Atheists on nairaland. When I say Atheists, I mean "True Atheists" those who refuse or reject the belief in deities. These actually are sincere and know the importance of respecting the individual even though they do not necessarily agree with that individual's beliefs. These are tolerant and would believe in God if and only if they can be convinced of his existence. Some of these even live better lives than some Christians and frankly I believe these would make it to heaven.

There is another set, those I choose to call "Atheists wanna be" they believe they are Atheists and are of the opinion that God does not exist. These are different from "True Atheists". They make themselves believe that they are sincere about their conviction but in truth they would go to such length to see religion stamped out of the face of the earth. These believe they have proofs that God does not exist but on close scrutiny, what they call proofs are basically their own opinions and beliefs. Some of these would not believe in God even if you are to show them God physically while some others would prefer to "kill" God if they can. Some of these are driven by 'hate' though they would prefer not to acknowledge this. As you rightly put it, they are Anti-theist and quite frankly these are the ones most in need of 'conversion'.

Sorry to say but Christians can also be divided into two similar groups too. We have those who trully worship God and would do everything to ensure that he is loved and adored. These are 'gentle' and considerate. These are never quick to pass judgement. Fanaticism is not their thing and they all believe in the goodness of the human spirit. These can and do work with Atheist for the greater good. These believe judgement is left only for God. These know the importance of saving a soul. These know also that their soul needs saving first before they can reach out to others.

The other group of Christians are the "if you are not with us then die by fire" kind. Some of these lack a sincere heart. Some of these are hard task masters who want to coerce people to follow their ideal whereas they themselves are exempt from following it. These are very quick to judge and from the way they talk it seems as if they have the list of all those who would make heaven in their hand. These talk as if God is someone they can tell what to do and from the way they do their things you would be tempted to believe that they have the holy spirit in their pockets. These do not tolerate other religion or people who hold a different view. These are also driven by 'hate' though they would prefer to call it a zeal for the house of the Lord. These need conversion too!

I have painted some extreme scenarios up there but this is not to say that it cannot be true. We all should be guided by love, not hate.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Affiliated(m): 2:21am On Dec 28, 2012
striktlymi: Good morning Tobe,

Though I believe too much attention is being given to the topic of Atheism and Atheists but I guess I understand why this is so. I know for sure that we have very few vocal Atheists on nairaland. When I say Atheists, I mean "True Atheists" those who refuse or reject the belief in deities. These actually are sincere and know the importance of respecting the individual even though they do not necessarily agree with that individual's beliefs. These are tolerant and would believe in God if and only if they can be convinced of his existence. Some of these even live better lives than some Christians and frankly I believe these would make it to heaven.

There is another set, those I choose to call "Atheists wanna be" they believe they are Atheists and are of the opinion that God does not exist. These are different from "True Atheists". They make themselves believe that they are sincere about their conviction but in truth they would go to such length to see religion stamped out of the face of the earth. These believe they have proofs that God does not exist but on close scrutiny, what they call proofs are basically their own opinions and beliefs. Some of these would not believe in God even if you are to show them God physically while some others would prefer to "kill" God if they can. Some of these are driven by 'hate' though they would prefer not to acknowledge this. As you rightly put it, they are Anti-theist and quite frankly these are the ones most in need of 'conversion'.

Sorry to say but Christians can also be divided into two similar groups too. We have those who trully worship God and would do everything to ensure that he is loved and adored. These are 'gentle' and considerate. These are never quick to pass judgement. Fanaticism is not their thing and they all believe in the goodness of the human spirit. These can and do work with Atheist for the greater good. These believe judgement is left only for God. These know the importance of saving a soul. These know also that their soul needs saving first before they can reach out to others.

The other group of Christians are the "if you are not with us then die by fire" kind. Some of these lack a sincere heart. Some of these are hard task masters who want to coerce people to follow their ideal whereas they themselves are exempt from following it. These are very quick to judge and from the way they talk it seems as if they have the list of all those who would make heaven in their hand. These talk as if God is someone they can tell what to do and from the way they do their things you would be tempted to believe that they have the holy spirit in their pockets. These do not tolerate other religion or people who hold a different view. These are also driven by 'hate' though they would prefer to call it a zeal for the house of the Lord. These need conversion too!

I have painted some extreme scenarios up there but this is not to say that it cannot be true. We all should be guided by love, not hate.

Thank you!

Wow. Brilliant write up. I had to re-examine my life after reading this. I don't fall under any of the above category though. I don't believe in religion but I believe in God in an agnostic kind of way. I feel the way to God is through the god that is myself and we gods which is everything collectively are God.
Anyway I assume you are a christian, on what basis or standards do you claim atheists would go to heaven
Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Nobody: 4:49am On Dec 28, 2012
Affiliated:

Wow. Brilliant write up. I had to re-examine my life after reading this. I don't fall under any of the above category though. I don't believe in religion but I believe in God in an agnostic kind of way. I feel the way to God is through the god that is myself and we gods which is everything collectively are God.
Anyway I assume you are a christian, on what basis or standards do you claim atheists would go to heaven

Good morning Affiliated,

Yes, I am a Christian! I know my stance on the phrase in bold is quite unconventional and seem to be incorrect at first glance, and quite frankly I will understand it if some Christians would argue vehemently against it, but I am quite convinced of the truth inherent in the phrase.

I have had this argument with a dear friend (Reyginus) before and he gave me some reasons why he believes that I am in the wrong but to this day I still believe firmly that what I said is correct. If you want to know the basis for my position, I will suggest that you start here ===> https://www.nairaland.com/1135247/atheist-make-heaven in order not to derail Tobechi's thread. If you have any further questions I will be most obliged to answer.

Tobe sorry for derailing your thread a bit.

Thank you!
Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Saluman(m): 5:09am On Dec 28, 2012

Thank you!

Grouping atheists into "true" athiests and "atheists wannabes" is just telling. You must be so confident to do such nonsense

Didnt read past that part of your comment. Whenever a christian is grouping athiests into good and bad, they are only choosing atheists that dont really criticize religion.

mtchew
Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by AtheistD(m): 9:26am On Dec 28, 2012
So I see the xtians are buckling under their own weight lol.

All this is a defence mechanism. We constantly get ridiculed and called fools for not believing in deities. Ok. We walk away and it makes some feel they have achieved some sort of victory. Now we are making a case for our reasons for being atheist and all I see is xtians crying everywhere. STAND AND DEDEND YOUR FAITH AND STOP WIMPING OUT.
Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Chubhie: 10:17am On Dec 28, 2012

Thank you!
i enjoyed the balanced analysis. Thanks.
Re: Atheism Or Anti-theism by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 28, 2012
U know I would be your version of the neutral atheist and I believe many others if religion wasn't having so many negative effects in society. Just take a good look at Nigeria. The blindness, the exploitation, the ignorance. If your religion was as peaceful and positive as it promised I would really not mind.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

African Christians Christless / Scientists' Comments On The Scientific Miracles In The Holy Qur'an.part 2 / Is This a Coincidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.