Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,667 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach (4389 Views)

Photos - Rubber Tapping In Nigeria / Poultry Farming: A Money Spinner! / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by streamvet: 9:20am On Dec 28, 2012
As were go into the new year,i will be dropping different tips here for people who are interested in investing in animal production/ farming with a view to setting up their own farm , pet management,acquisition and vaccination and all that is needed to be successful in the coming year.As a Veterinary doctor with vast experience in this area i believe people can enhance their life and become financially stable if they do things right.

Poultry farming in Nigeria has become one of the most important aspect of farming for many reasons. It create great business opportunity for Entrepreneurs, and provides employment for the job seeking citizens.

The Chicken and it's products are very rich source of protein of which we all agreed to that you and I need the proteins derived from chicken to maintain healthy living.

It is generally believed that every child needs not less than an egg a day for their normal growth. While every adult needs like ten in a week; Poultry also provides meat for delicacies -- no tribe or religion in Nigeria that forbids chicken meat. Everyone likes it, that's why poultry products sells very fast and in high demand.

The Benefits of Poultry Farming in Nigeria are so numerous that this page may not contain it all. Apart from the chicken being used as food, Poultry Farming is equally profitable. A good poultry farmer earns above N20 million per annum depending on how big the farm is. All these benefits are open to you if you start your own poultry farm today!

There are basically three different breeds of bird for poultry business. We have the Broilers, Cockerels, and Layers. The Broilers grows very faster and are ready for sale at 12 weeks from hatch. Cockerels grows slower and can take up to twenty four weeks before they are matured for marketing.

But, Cockerels are reliable in terms of survival and withstanding bad weathers. They are more resilient, and can absorb shocks far better than Layers and Broilers.

Poultry Farming is a bit capital intensive,it's all like trading money to make more money. You need to prepare for this especially if you wants to start on a higher scale. But be assured of making back whatever amount of money you invested in the business in multiple fold within a short period of time. Before you venture into poultry farming business in Nigeria, you need to seat back and do proper calculation and planning; make sure you have idea of all the costs involved.

In this article, I'll endeavor to give you the ideas of what is involved so you can build upon it; and through commenting, people can as well add their own ideas and findings to compliment the write up. So, I hope to make this article as explicit as I can, and as we keep adding updates it may end up becoming one stop destination on information about poultry farming in Nigeria and other allied products.

Currently they seem to be no high level, hi-tech poultry farms in this country except for very few farms that i have personally visited like the ones we used to see in USA, Europe and Asia. Any investor who have enough nerve and needed capital to venture into it will have reasons to smile within a short period of investment. Up till now, Nigeria still import chicken from other countries because the ones the local farmers produces are not enough to meet the demand of the over 150 Million citizens.Where did you buy your last christmas Turkey? am sure it was imported.

There is certainly huge market for poultry rearing in Nigeria and for export but the question is: Who will take advantage of the opportunity in the industry to create wealth. Now -- if you're ready to get started and hit the goldmine in poultry farming. It is instructive however that poultry farming is strictly seen as a business and should be managed as such.

Selecting your Poultry Niche

The poultry industry is a broad niche. There are many sub-sectors in the poultry industry which you can tap into. Below are niches in the poultry business:

Egg production (Layers breeding)
Meat production (Broilers breeding)
Chicken breeding (Hatchery)
Poultry feed production
Poultry equipment manufacturing
Egg and meat processing, packaging and marketing

farm Location

A good location is vital to the success and profitability of your poultry farm. An ideal poultry farm should be sited where there’s a large availability of cheap land and at the same time; should be close to areas with high population density. It’s not advisable to site your poultry farm within a residential area because of the offensive odour it produces.
One plot of land of 120 x 60 square meter is perfect for setting up medium scale poultry farm in Nigeria, at least for a start. Once you have a land that is big enough for your farm set up, half of your need have been taken care of. Land is about the hardest and probably the most expensive part of poultry business in places like Lagos, Abuja, and other major cities in Nigeria.

Since you may not be allowed to carry out Poultry farming amongst residents or other populated environment due to the smell that is associated with poultry rearing and the subsequent health impact, I'll advice that you look for land in a rural area or in farms. There you will get lands cheaper, stays out of trouble and do your production there, while your products will be transported to the urban area for sales.You can even a marketing office in town for distributing and marketing your farm produce. Most big farms do this nowadays.am sure you must have seen a CHI and ZARTECT OFFICE Somewhere around you.

You can get a large chunk of land in a developing area for small amount compared to how much you will get the same size of land in a city like Lagos.However i know land is cheap in the suburbs of Abeokuta, Ibadan, Mowe, Offada etc

It is recommended that you get your own poultry farm land and build a permanent farm rather than to lease to avoid disruption. If you lease a property, the owner may decide to issue you quit notice at the point you should be settling down and making progress in the business. And relocating always comes with huge cost.

Except you have much money to invest in poultry farming business in a large scale and operate with the best of technology, city may not be ideal for you due to the smelly nature of poultry farm.

I will continue the tips tomorrow from here, please do learn as much as u can and feel free to ask me any question as pertaining to animals production, their management, setting up, egg marketing, day old sales, pet acquisition ,management,vaccination programme,if you have issues on your farm or with your pets.It's my work and it's what i do.

call me on 08099472354 or send me a mail at streamconsultingsc@gmail.com i will respond as soon as am able.
Do have a lovely day.

1 Like

Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by megawealth(m): 10:19am On Dec 28, 2012
Nice post
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by Chudoify: 10:47am On Dec 28, 2012
Thanks@op.your kind of person is a blessing to our generation.please,continue with your good work.i wanted to start poultry farming but was advice to venture into pig farming or grasscutter farming instead.This is because of the risk involve in poultry especially disease and egg or meat marketing.thank you and may God bless you.
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by streamvet: 11:45am On Dec 28, 2012
thanks for your prayers.the least we can do as individuals is to help ourselves.everything is not about money. every business has it's own level of risk but the important thing is knowing what to do when problems come.piggery as volatile as poultry only that pigs are more hardy and are very tolerant.all that matters is good and proper management even more important than medication

1 Like

Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by Chudoify: 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
Please how much will it cost me to raise 1000 layer from day old to 22 weeks.thank you sir.
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by lextlugar: 5:01pm On Dec 28, 2012
i like these business opportunity.
can someone start poultry with two million naira,
and more off otafarm image for encouragement?
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by streamvet: 8:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
[color=#550000][quote author=Chudoify]Please how much will it cost me to raise 1000 layer from day old to 22 weeks.thank you sir

You see most times we tend to look at business by trying to calculate our our profit or trying to calculate how much will take us to a certain level. In reality though business does not work that way.
notwithstanding It is very good and important to plan so that does not totally mess up. I not going to give you a figure as to the amount of money you will need to raise a 1000 layers from day old to 18-22 weeks by which time they should start laying.
Let us approach it this way..do you u have a place where you can raise the birds to start with ? Do you want to do it in a rented facility or your own land?.If it is your own land, do you have it already or just planning of buying one, if planning to buy which are are you looking at because all these are part of the cost that will be incurred in the process of setting up. I hope you are following my reasoning.
Assuming this issues as been addressed. Then you have to buy the birds at day old because that is what I always recommend to farmers and it is the best. The prices of day old ranges from #150-#250 depending on the hatchery, breed of bird, prevailing market situations ,the time of the day and so on. So use any average to calculate for a 1000 birds.
You have to make provision for feeders and drinkers if you don’t have them already . these comes in various forms and sizes depending on your purse and their prizes also varies. The last time last drinkers I bougth for a client was around #350 if I can remember and you will need 10-20 birds/drinker at that age Same for feeders. The birds will need vaccination at certain ages till about 14-16 weeks .
The bulk of your money however will be on feeding because feeding takes the chunk of poultry. The prices of feed ingredient seems to be constantly going up sadly. however, You might not be able o afford a feed mill now so your best choice will be to buy compounded feed. This comes in different kgs 20, 25, 50, depending on how you want it so sourcing for the best feed with least cost will be your best bet.
I believe by the time am done with my tips ,you will be able to appraise your plane better. But if there is any advise I can give is that eventually it is worth the effort by the time your money starts coming in
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by streamvet: 8:17pm On Dec 28, 2012
With 2 million naira and with the right information and management I believe you can archive much.
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by streamvet: 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2012
With 2 million naira and with the right information and management I believe you can archive much. pls go through my response above
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 30, 2012
i cannot but to thank you, pls sir want to start a poultry farm though my capital is very small but want to knw full information about it, if possible write a report on it. Sir, as a vet doctor, dnt knw if u have any material or knw some books that I can either buy,make copy of,download online ,any useful sites to learn from. Pls sir my mail is akseph4gr8ness@gmail.com. Thanks in advance
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by wasco24: 10:22am On Dec 31, 2012
pls advice me i want to start d poultry farm, i ve 150k, nd own a land, hw many birds can i start wit considering my capital
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by ultrazone(m): 10:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
mmm
Re: Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach by Poultrybusiness: 6:41pm On Aug 24, 2015
we are into poultry farming business dealing with quail Japanese birds & eggs, Imported Turkey,Local bid Turkey,Broilers, Layers etc. Quail eggs @ #400 per create all are fresh Quail Birds day old @ #100 Quail Birds 3 - 4weeks old @ #300 Quail Birds point of lay/Layers @ #400 each with ratio 4:1 in selling out minimum of 50pieces. Imported Turkey day old @ #670 Imported Turkey 6-10weeks old @ #1,850 Local Turkey day old @ #420 Local Bid Turkey 6-10weeks @ #1,150. Broilers day old @ #180 Broilers 10weeks above @ #950 Layers day old @ #35 Layers masure @ #1250 Cockreal day old #20 Cockreal masure @ #1,100, we also enlighten newbies on how to start poultry farming business and make double of your investment consistency include on how to set-up their farms and educate them on marketing strategy to sell the drop layers eggs to wholesalers and retailers buyers to make more profit on daily bases. Flee free to contact +2348080034551 for more details We serve you the best. FOREIT SITE FARM LALUPON IBADAN.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Invest #50 Million Naira On Any Farmer Here! / This Weird Breed Of Chicken Is The Tastiest When Cooked / Pictures Of An Extremely Big Python Trapped By An Electric Fence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.