Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Amen: What Does It Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Amen: What Does It Mean? (1661 Views)

Typing Amen On Facebook Picture Stories / I Saw A Snake In My Dream. What Does It Mean? / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 5:49am On Dec 29, 2012
Can you tell me what does
the word, 'amen,' mean? Nobody has ever explained
it meaningfully to me.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by Tascocent(m): 5:51am On Dec 29, 2012
It means SO SHALL IT BE...............

1 Like

Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by plaetton: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2012
AMEN RA is the Egyptian sun god.
In the "Hymns To Ra" as written in the the Egyptian Book of The Dead, prayers are usually started and closed by intonings the words Amen Amen. The ancient Israelites most likely incorporated this into their own religious hymns and prayers.

So the next time you say Amen, you are invoking the ancient Egyptian sun god, Amen Ra.

He he he. grin
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 8:11am On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton: AMEN RA is the Egyptian sun god.
In the "Hymns To Ra" as written in the the Egyptian Book of The Dead, prayers are usually started and closed by intonings the words Amen Amen. The ancient Israelites most likely incorporated this into their own religious hymns and prayers.

So the next time you say Amen, you are invoking the ancient Egyptian sun god, Amen Ra.

He he he. grin
Ar you saying the Egyptian were the first to ever prayed?. Please shed more light.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by plaetton: 9:16am On Dec 29, 2012
babarazy:
Ar you saying the Egyptian were the first to ever prayed?. Please shed more light.

NO,not at all.
I f we agree that the Hebrews were in Egypt for 400yrs, it not surprising that their entire entire culural and religious precepts are mainly of Egyptian origin.
The ten commandments, for example, are excerpts from Egyptian book of the dead, which predates moses bible by thousands of years.
It is named" Confessions to Maat".
Maat is the Egyptian god of truth.

Here are some examples. Compare them to the ten Commandments.

Not have I despised God.
I have not repulsed God in his manifestations.
Not have I spoken lies.
Not have I set my mouth in motion against any man.
Not have I defiled the wife of a man.
Not have I defiled the husband of a woman.
Not have I committed theft.
Not have I killed.
Not have I violated the times for the chosen offerings
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:57am On Dec 29, 2012
@op, Whether the Egyptians used the word for a non-existent god or not does not matter.
For us, Amen means "truth" or "so be it" and since we know who we are referring to, we'll be doing ourselves a big favour by ignoring the ranting(s) of plaetton.
Even Jesus, the Son of GOD used amen when praying.
----------------------------
Matthew 6:9-15
King James Version
(KJV)
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be
thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the
kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for
ever. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 29, 2012
^^^
Didn't you study his post? can't you see the similarities between the Egyptian's confessions and the ten commandments?
Doesn't it interest you at all to know why they are so similar?

Plaetton please how old is the book of the dead?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 1:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
inurmind: ^^^
Didn't you study his post? can't you see the similarities between the Egyptian's confessions and the ten commandments?

A good christian will always run away from the truth. Plaetton's "rantings" is probably causing an onset of severe migrain in the christians' heads right now.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

A good christian will always run away from the truth. Plaetton's "rantings" is probably causing an onset of severe migrain in the christians' heads right now.

Your words, my thoughts.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by plaetton: 3:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
inurmind: ^^^

Is was said to be first written by the a priest named Ptah-Hotep.
Ptah-Hotep would have been a high priest of Ptah. Ptah is the supreme god and head of the Egyptian pantheon of gods. He founded and ruled the first kingdom of Egypt before kingship was later lowered from heaven and bestowed on men.
Chronologically, we looking at around 10,000BC.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 3:26pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

Do you say 'AMEN' whenever u pray?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 3:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

I want plaetton to answer the question i asked him first before i have a say in this.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by plaetton: 3:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
babarazy:
Do you say 'AMEN' whenever u pray?

Yes,when I used to pray.
I have not prayed for at least 20 yrs now.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
plaetton:

Yes,when I used to pray.
I have not prayed for at least 20 yrs now.
awww! Are you an Atheist?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 6:11pm On Dec 29, 2012
To the atheist and the wannabe satanist, I don't really care about their similarity, all I know is that we are not tied down by law(s) anymore. We are under a new dispensation. No more law tying us down for we are now under the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. I did a little study on the maat nonsense and found out that the bullcrap is actually 42 and not 10. Now 6 of the 10 commandments
cannot be found in the 42 negative confessions and you claim the
commandments are gotten from the book of the dead. It should be clear it is not the case. By the way, killing, stealing etc was considered
wrong long before the 10
commandments and was punished by
God. There was oral tradition long
before written traditions. Claiming
something was first because it was written before something else is
therefore presumptuous.

1 Like

Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 6:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
inspiredbyGOD:.:
To the atheist and the wannabe satanist, I don't really care about their similarity, all I know is that we are not tied down by law(s) anymore. We are under a new dispensation. No more law tying us down for we are now under the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. I did a little study on the maat nonsense and found out that the bullcrap is actually 42 and not 10. Now 6 of the 10 commandments
cannot be found in the 42 negative confessions and you claim the
commandments are gotten from the book of the dead. It should be clear it is not the case. By the way, killing, stealing etc was considered
wrong long before the 10
commandments and was punished by
God. There was oral tradition long
before written traditions. Claiming
something was first because it was written before something else is
therefore presumptuous.

And I am sure you are a tithe payer.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 6:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

What does 'tithe' got to do with what we are discussing?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 29, 2012
babarazy: What does 'tithe' got to do with what we are discussing?
Confusion. The dude don't know what he needs and not.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 7:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
babarazy: What does 'tithe' got to do with what we are discussing?

Are you a tithe payer or not?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 7:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

Are you a tithe payer or not?
The question wasnt meant for me in the first place. YES & NO sha cos i dont pay it frequently.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by tpia5: 9:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

you'd prefer he give you his money so you can increase your supply of weed and pay tithe to your dealer?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
babarazy: The question wasnt meant for me in the first place. YES & NO sha cos i dont pay it frequently.

oh! sorry. The wayo-inspiration has ran away.
Anyway if anybody sees him, please ask him to come and tell us what he thinks about tithe paying.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by tpia5: 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2012
@ topic

Popular among some theosophists, proponents of Afrocentric theories of history, and adherents of esoteric Christianity [12][13] is the conjecture that amen is a derivative of the name of the Egyptian god Amun (which is sometimes also spelled Amen).

Some adherents of Eastern religions believe that amen shares roots with the Hindu Sanskrit word, Aum.[14][15][16][17] There is no academic support for either of these views. The Hebrew word, as noted above, starts with aleph, while the Egyptian name begins with a yodh.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen

joblessness na wa. Una nor dey remove eyes from other people's money. undecided Greedy things.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2012
tpia@:

you'd prefer he give you his money to smoke weed?

That would be a more productive use of his wealth,... if I smoked weed.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by tpia5: 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
maybe you need his money to buy more crack?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

I don't know what tithe has got to do with this but if you must know, I don't tithe cos it's not required of me by GOD. People under the law paid tithes (not money but their farm produce) to the Levites who in turn shared it among the poor and those in need . What we have in churches now is not tithing, if you give to GOD under compulsion or you give because you want your money doubled, then you are just joking.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 9:49pm On Dec 29, 2012
I don't know what tithe has got to do with this but if you must know, I don't tithe cos it's not required of me by GOD. People under the law paid tithes (not money but their farm produce) to the Levites who in turn shared it among the poor and those in need . What we have in churches now is not tithing, if you give to GOD under compulsion or you give because you want your money doubled, then you are just joking.

This is a most confusing response.

So you don't pay a percentage of your income to your church? Money or not.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:54pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

oh! sorry. The wayo-inspiration has ran away.
Anyway if anybody sees him, please ask him to come and tell us what he thinks about tithe paying.
My phone's battery ran down and so I couldn't reply almost immediately. Why would I run away?
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by advocate666: 9:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
My phone's battery ran down and so I couldn't reply almost immediately. Why would I run away?

Because that's what good soldiers of christ do.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

Because that's what good soldiers of christ do.
Well, I'm an advanced model, besides there is nothing to run away for.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
advocate666:

This is a most confusing response.

So you don't pay a percentage of your income to your church? Money or not.
No, i don't.
Re: Amen: What Does It Mean? by babarazy: 10:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
This is getting interesting. From 'AMEN' to 'TITHE'.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! I Can't Get Off Nairaland! / He Is Praying 4 Dis Woman With His Hand In His Breast / The Mistakes Joagbaje Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.