Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? (19297 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students / New Varsity, Federal University, Lokoja, Admits 200 Students, Takes Off In Janua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 29, 2012
About 200 students may have been expelled by the authorities of Covenant University, Cannanland, Ota, Ogun State, recently for what was described as “disregard of paramount core values.”
Frustrated and angered by the development, some of the affected students who gave account of what happened battled emotions while narrating their situations to Saturday Vanguard recently. They however pleaded with the school authorities to tamper justice with mercy in order to save their future.

Out of the figure, about 126 were expelled for not attending the ‘departure service’, meant to sign off from the school after the end of the Semester and Matriculation of students on November 30. Five other students were thrown out for smoking while unconfirmed source said additional 60 got the same fate for violating other rules bordering on the University’s core values. A few others were given four weeks suspension for failure to sign the head count that was conducted a couple of weeks earlier.

A letter of expulsion signed by the Registrar, Ntia Ubong, a copy which was made available to Saturday Vanguard stated that the affected students contravened Chapter 1, section 30, page 40 of the 2010-2014 Student Handbook.

The massive expulsion was predicated on the anger of the Chancellor, Bishop David Oyedepo who was said to have been infuriated after seeing students loitering around when they were supposed to be at the Chapel for the Departure Service.
He was said to have personally chased students to the Chapel and ordered for a search into all the halls and colleges to fish out those who did not attend the service.
_
SOURCE

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Adufaye(m): 8:05am On Dec 29, 2012
am i mad? I go colect my sch fees bak,or i set d sch ablaze

22 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 29, 2012
2nd to comment tinz...
Anyway, I comment my reserve.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 29, 2012
over the top
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 29, 2012
ROLFAO!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 29, 2012
Boko Haram university.

10 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by cardealer10: 8:45am On Dec 29, 2012
That's harsh and Serious...
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by EbiJUNIRO(m): 8:45am On Dec 29, 2012
CHAI! wot else?
Adufaye: am i mad? I go colect my sch fees bak,or i set d sch ablaze

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Codedrock(m): 8:45am On Dec 29, 2012
Datz impossible! No private skul can do dat in naija.. Even in ma skul (Bowen) dem take church serious dey can neva expell, only punishments.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Wsdm: 8:45am On Dec 29, 2012
An advanced SECONDARY SCHOOL. Anyway if they have all signed to uphold these laws, then let them face the music. I just hope the spiritual leaders will look into the eyes of the thieving politicians and tell them the truth like this.

7 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 29, 2012
ibkaye: over the top
Lol! One thing, you should know what that means.It means more tithe and offering.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by DICKtator: 8:47am On Dec 29, 2012
hehehe. getting expelled for not attending chapel.
Heaven is not by force. you know
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Imoy(m): 8:48am On Dec 29, 2012
na wa oh
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by inpeace: 8:48am On Dec 29, 2012
Just that? Its not fair, the future of these student should be considered.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by slimyem: 8:49am On Dec 29, 2012
lmao...
Why are these private institutions being called universities sef?
Nonsense upon ingredient!!
Chasing adults to the chapel?
Chai!!!
Dem don suffer!

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by dopeJemi: 8:49am On Dec 29, 2012
wait

Is it just Me or av I Heard dis News b4

I tot dis ish happened weeks ago n it aLso made d front page

Or did dey expeL another 200 students

Is dis a Deja vu

PLz sum1 correct Me

5 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by valencia25(m): 8:49am On Dec 29, 2012
Wsdm: An advanced SECONDARY SCHOOL. Anyway if they have all signed to uphold these laws, then let them face the music. I just hope the spiritual leaders will look into the eyes of the thieving politicians and tell them the truth like this.

An advanced primary school, no need to put advanced sev...... PRIMARY SCHOOL ni
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 29, 2012
Smh! Hey bokoharam• please do both the church and the university and hey do it during the holiday and the church when no one is inside. Oh how I hate these religious btches.

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by inpeace: 8:50am On Dec 29, 2012
What if God expell them from earth for little sins they commit?

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by uceee(m): 8:51am On Dec 29, 2012
This is serious. Anyway, if u decide to go to CU or any of these church owned Unis, then you should know what you are getting into and be prepared to abide by all their church rules. If you contravene any, you face the music.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by valencia25(m): 8:52am On Dec 29, 2012
inpeace: What if God expell them from earth for little sins they commit?
O se aro kutukutu oo... How many people God dan expel since u were born Leave God to enjoy his weekend abeg

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by nuges1(m): 8:52am On Dec 29, 2012
I am not surprised...glorified secondary school!!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 29, 2012
They should return their school fees back too. Rubish
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 29, 2012
ah rep CU.......u cnt brk d law......d law z alwz thr...

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by SamConquer(m): 8:54am On Dec 29, 2012
U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW

10 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 29, 2012
LoL, the parents who take their kids to this school want this type of discipline though

It's a christian school, u know there are rules on going to chapel. Even here in the states, christian schools have weekly services and they are not to miss Sunday chapel. I think you're allowed to miss chapel thrice in a semester and if u exceed the time stipulated, there is punishment.

Bishop Oyedepo's decision might be a little rash but u expected this before deciding to apply and attend the university. We can't blame the man for the standards he wants his university to uphold.

11 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by DJDOLA(m): 8:54am On Dec 29, 2012
why would they expel student because they missed church service....thats means going 2 that university u must attend there church what if u dont like 2 worship in there church....and beside education and religion are differnt...school is to study life while church is 2 study heaven..so what is there busness if u dont atend church are they not paying there school fees...ok what if u attend there church service all day and u dont pay ur sch fees...would they forget about sch fee because u attend there church service all time ni

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 29, 2012
I wonder how Harvard would have been if it had adopted this kind of policy.Oyedepo needs to respect the freedom of religion which is an honor not only to his students but all humans.I believe there is a reason why God created heaven and hell if I'm not mistaken.People should be allowed to learn in a conducive environment free from unforseen disturbances.

This is a reason why private universities cant top the list of best universities in Nigeria because it is not always about fine architecture but building students for the challenges of the evolving society.What is the point in forcing an atheist in shouting halleluya ? Smh

7 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by vykte(m): 8:55am On Dec 29, 2012
Even students don't read documents they sign,i'm pretty sure a good number of d students ar unaware of such laws n punishment.
Btw Which is more frequent on front page Tonto Dike's threads or Convenat/Oyedepo thread?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Maxymilliano(m): 8:55am On Dec 29, 2012
Oyedepo might have felt slighted by the students poor attitude to constituted school authorities but it is wrong for him to have reacted on impulse, the bulk of the blame should stop at his table and he should be bold enough to admit he failed woefully in instilling right and appropriate discipline on the student.

This are teens entrusted to his care, with lots of money down the drain in the name of school fees and if this is what they graduated to be after 4 years of studying under what should be strict moral and ethical codes, then Oyedepo should apologized to the concerned parents and make refunds if possible.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by greatgod2012(f): 8:56am On Dec 29, 2012
In a university?
Abeg, somebody to tell me its a lie, how can adults be forced to do something against his will.

The school is better called a secondary school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships / ESAE University 2016/2017 Admission / ASUU Strike: What's Next If Demands Are Not Met By May 15?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.