Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:47 PM

Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 (1756 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Entertainers Of 2012 / Guinness World Records - Best Of 2012 / *~365NaijaNews Voted Entertainment Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 11:16am On Dec 29, 2012
*From YNaija
Another year, another bevy of scandals and 2012 was no different. Whether it was the back and forth between a certain billionaire business man and a honorable member of the house or the endlessly shameful Ibori affair finally put to rest, there was more than enough to keep us entertained. Or scandalized.

We present the top 12 cringe worthy moments of the year. In no particular order.

Inspector General of Police Hafiz Ringim resigns
Resigned, sacked, eased out? Call it whatever but the year in scandals began early enough with the removal of former Inspector General of the Nigerian Police Force, Hafiz Ringim and six of his DIGs. This was not unrelated to the 24-hour ultimatum which was handed to him by the presidency to find Kabiru Umar, a Boko Haram suspect who escaped from police custody. Mohammed Dikko Abubakar was appointed in his stead.

The Ibori saga comes to an end?
After a federal high court sitting in Asaba, Delta state discharged and acquitted former governor of the state and all-round poster boy for corruption, James Onanefe Ibori of 170 charges of corruption filed against him by the EFCC, it was sweet revenge for Nigerians to witness the former governor plead guilty to a UK court to 10 counts of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.

The trial was not without drama as his Ibori’s defense counsel invited former English Premier league player, John Fashanu to testify on his behalf. Ibori was finally sentenced to 13years in prison with numerous assets worth billions of Naira confiscated.

Fashola blasts Patience Jonathan
The Action Congress of Nigeria, political home to Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state has never hidden it’s disdain for the PDP but it still came as a surprise to us when the SAN expressed his displeasure with the first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan and her ‘Peace Advocacy tour’ for their role in the massive traffic jam experienced by commuters on 12, April 2012. He warned, ‘’There is the need for public officers generally to be more sensitive to the people we serve.’’ We love the governor for this but suggest he attempts practicing what he preaches.

David Oyedepo’s ‘cynical exploitation’
What is it with our men of God and scandals? An Ogun state High Court sitting in Sango Ota may have dismissed a N2billion fundamental human right suit filed against the founder and president of the Living Faith Christian Church International, David Oyedepo over allegations that he slapped a female member of his congregation but British newspaper Daily Mail on Sunday in a revealing expose accused the Pastopreneur of exploiting British worshippers. The investigations revealed that congregants are given a payment slip requesting cheque, cash or debit cards when they join.

Subsidy probe report released
After the botched fuel subsidy removal policy and the national awakening it birthed, the House of representatives took the bull by the horns and set up an Ad-hoc committee headed by a certain Farouk Lawan to investigate implementation of the country’s subsidy regime. The report of the very public probe was released and the details aren’t pretty.

The committee recommended the sum of N1,O67,040,456,171.31 be refunded to the federation account by the NNPC, PPRA and indicted companies. It also established that over N2trillion was made as subsidy payment as at 31, December 2011, more than 900 per cent over the appropriated sum of N245 billion.

Farouk and Otedola bribery scandal
The year’s messiest scandal came in the form of what has now been dubbed #Faroukgate. Following the Farouk Lawan-headed committee probe report, Business man and chairman of Zenon Oil, Femi Otedola apparently staged a sting operation with help from the SSS to nail Hon Farouk Lawan during the course of his committee’s investigation. In a damning $3billion bribery scandal, the lawmaker was accused of striking out Otedola’s company from the list of indicted marketers. After multiple denials and leaked audio conversations, Lawan would later admit collecting $620,000.The whole drama came to a climax though with the House committee on ethics exonerating the pint-sized lawmaker.

Pastor Chris Okotie divorces wife number 2
After 4 years of marriage, musician-turned-pastor-turned-serial presidential aspirant announced his split from Stephanie Henshaw, the pretty lady who became his second wife. Citing irreconcilable differences, the general overseer of House hold of God ministry has reportedly promised to tie the knot once more in the near future.

Diplomatic row: Nigeria vs Ghana vs South Africa vs Zambia
2012 is the year Nigeria was embroiled in near-diplomatic rows with fellow African countries over travel permission. It all began in March when South Africa deported 125 Nigerians, including a Senator from Johannesburg’s O.R Tambo international airport on the grounds of possessing fake Yellow fever vaccination cards. Nigerian officials cried foul and cited xenophobia. Soon it was Ghana’s turn as some travelers reported being forced to get Ghana’s Yellow fever cards at an extra cost as the Nigerian cards were deemed fake.

Things got worse though as Zambia also excluded Nigeria from countries that do not require visa to enter the country. Some Nigerian journos found out the hard way while attempting to attend the CNNMultiChoice media awards held in Lusaka. What

Zaaki Azzay’s 8yr marriage ends, wife claims years of battery
Torch bearing folk singer Zaaki Azzay hasn’t had a hit in years. It seems all he has been hitting is poor wife of 8years, Hadiza. That is according to her. She revealed to blogger Linda Ikeji that the singer was fond of beating her over minor disagreements and sometimes up till she lost consciousness. She left with two of her 3 children and declared that there was no going back this time.

Obi Asika’s Storm 360 sacks Olisa Adibua
Popular OAP and events anchor, Olisa Adibua was on this list last year after beating up a colleague at the Beat FM premises. He makes a grand return this year following his sack from the entertainment company, Storm 360 and falling out with it’s head, Obi Asika. A press statement from the company read, ‘’Mr Olisa Adibua is no longer a director of the company. This decision was reached at a properly constituted EGM. Mr Adibua was a non-executive director of Storm 360 and has never been involved in the management and operations.’’

No homo: Nigerian court sentences actor to 3months in jail
Now what would a scandal list be like without Nollywood? Or is it vice versa? The first major implications of the controversial bill prohibiting same sex marriage and public displays of affection played out in September when Bestwood Chukwuemeka, an upcoming 28year old actor was sentenced to 3-months in jail by a Karu Senior Magistrates’ Court, Abuja for having anal sex with another man. Mr Chukwuemeka according to Premium Times, pleaded guilty and claimed to be under the influence of alcohol. We are still speechless.

Former IG of Police Sunday Ehindero remanded in Kuje prisons for embezzling
What starts with one former IGP ends with another. Following his failure to meet bail applications set by an Abuja High Court Judge in September, former Police Inspector General, Sunday Ehindero was remanded at Kuje prisons. Mr Ehindero is being prosecuted by the ICPC for allegedly helping himself to N16million meant for the force while in office.

http://www.ynaija.com/oyedepos-cynical-exploitation-farouk-vs-otetola-more-see-our-list-of-the-top-12-scandals-of-2012/

Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 29, 2012
The ALUU 4. May their souls rest in peace.
[img]http://3.bp..com/-j3OPrFqsYr4/UG-_jAtpY0I/AAAAAAAALRc/BeXdRGBZBtE/s1600/bbbb.jpg[/img]
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 11:29am On Dec 29, 2012
Would that be classified as a scandal? I don't think so.
It was a great injustice and a crime that led to loss of lives. Its way beyond a scandal!
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
ijebabe: Would that be classified as a scandal? I don't think so.
It was a great injustice and a crime that led to loss of lives. Its way beyond a scandal!

Its a scandal + injustice + disgrace + evil.
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
Just when I thought I would see Tonto grin

Pastor Chris or whatever is a shameless man. What does he call himself again? Pastor?
Jesus is gonna be so disappointed in him grin silly hypocrite! angry

I still don't understand why I can't see tonto grin
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by sugarcoatted(f): 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
speedyboi:
Just when I thought I would see Tonto grin

Pastor Chris or whatever is a shameless man. What does he call himself again? Pastor?
Jesus is gonna be so disappointed in him grin silly hypocrite! angry

I still don't understand why I can't see tonto grin

May God forgive u
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
sugarcoatted:
May God forgive u

Have I sinned?
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 4:57pm On Dec 30, 2012
I was expecting Seun's fiasco with the moderators of politics section to be here, it's so scandalous that Seun stooped to mortal's level to apologize 4 being a git !
***well, I guess a ban is imminent considering freedom of speech is a scarce commodity here, woe betides he or she who hides my post***
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 30, 2012
bolakale30: I was expecting Seun's fiasco with the moderators of politics section to be here, it's so scandalous that Seun stooped to mortal's level to apologize 4 being a git !
***well, I guess a ban is imminent considering freedom of speech is a scarce commodity here, woe betides he or she who hides my post***

grin grin grin grin S.M.H
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 12:13am On Dec 31, 2012
speedyboi:

grin grin grin grin S.M.H
Bros watapun ?
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by Tolexander: 8:00am On Dec 31, 2012
summary
of the majority of the scandals is corruption.
What about the ABSU5, okonjo iweala's mum that was kidnapped, vice
presidents house, ojukwu's will revealing tanny hamman, achebe's fiction?
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
The kidnap and Ojukwu stories were big but not enough to make the top 12, in my opinion.

Achebe....now that's a tricky one but as it led to defamation of character then maybe it deserves to be on the list.
On second thought, Achebe is a no-go area for me grin
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 12:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
ijebabe: The kidnap and Ojukwu stories were big but not enough to make the top 12, in my opinion.

Achebe....now that's a tricky one but as it led to defamation of character then maybe it deserves to be on the list.
On second thought, Achebe is a no-go area for me grin
I thought u are a Nigerian b4 u are an easterner, so why pampering Achebe ?
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 1:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
I'm not pampering him, his book was his account of the war. It wasn't received well with valid points made from both sides.
As its a subjective matter I'm not going to involve myself in the debate on whether he was right or wrong.

The book has ben staring me in the face all month but I haven't read it yet, maybe next month grin
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 1:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
ijebabe: I'm not pampering him, his book was his account of the war. It wasn't received well with valid points made from both sides.
As its a subjective matter I'm not going to involve myself in the debate on whether he was right or wrong.

The book has ben staring me in the face all month but I haven't read it yet, maybe next month grin
Well... I will be willing to wait till u are done reading the book...
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2012
Lol, it'll be fun to see how well the Nigerian education system has improved cheesy
Don't let me down tongue
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
ijebabe: Lol, it'll be fun to see how well the Nigerian education system has improved cheesy
Don't let me down tongue
****falls 4rm Iroko tree****
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by alleviate2002us(m): 8:50pm On Jan 03, 2013
bolakale30:
****falls 4rm Iroko tree****

Lol....

After the high fall from the tree i am sure your eyes are still able to open cuz your gon read that book ya-self...grin grin
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by bolakale30(m): 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
alleviate2002us:

Lol....

After the high fall from the tree i am sure your eyes are still able to open cuz your gon read that book ya-self...grin grin
Nah !!! Ijebabe says she will read the book; afterwards, we will engage in a debate to determine if Achebe's. "There was a country" deserves to make the list or not.... I fell 4rm the Iroko tree bkos the Nigerian educational system is as good as Neville Longbottom in Transfiguration....
Re: Top 12 Scandals Of 2012 by ijebabe: 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
bolakale30:
Nah !!! Ijebabe says she will read the book; afterwards, we will engage in a debate to determine if Achebe's. "There was a country" deserves to make the list or not.... I fell 4rm the Iroko tree bkos the Nigerian educational system is as good as Neville Longbottom in Transfiguration....
Not everyone is a nerd sweety grin

alleviate2002us:

Lol....

Wicked! grin

(1) (Reply)

Spartacus : The Movie / Please Help Us Win In My Big Nigerian Wedding Season 2 / Prostitution Offered As A 'professional Course' In Spanish Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.