Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,777 members, 7,806,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped (10281 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Underdeveloped. / Reasons Why Nigeria Remains Underdeveloped / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by ifebosco: 11:21am On Dec 29, 2012
THE society is a reflection of the aggregate of values and priorities of its members. There are few things around us, both good and bad, that did not originate as a ‘thought’ in the mind of an individual or group of individuals. Consequently, if some societies are ordered and relatively more qualitative while others are in disarray, this is a direct result of the (in)actions of the inhabitants of these societies.
If you are an African, ask yourself these simple questions, and the reason for the dire circumstance of the mother continent will come home to you. Have you ever,

1. Entered a packed banking hall and instead of joining the queue, sought out the ‘sister of your friend’s cousin’ who happens to work somewhere in the building, in order to circumvent the queue and in the process increase the misery of those doing it the right way by prolonging their waiting times
2. Driven against the flow of traffic simply because it looks expedient at the time
3. Given money to the ubiquitous civil servant to ensure that your document gets signed on the same day, when the standard procedure is to wait for two weeks
4. Induced a police officer to look the other way because your car papers are not in order and you are too sloppy to attend to it
5. Manipulated the system to obtain admission for your ward, knowing full well that s/he did not merit such consideration, and in so doing deprive a better qualified candidate the opportunity
6. Known a friend/family member living ostensibly above their means and legitimate income and rather than question the anomaly, asked for your share of the unexplained windfall
7. Voted for someone simply because s/he is from your geographical region, religion, speaks the same language and other such spurious reasons, rather than the merit and fitness of the person
8. Heaped curses and abuses on your Local Government Chairperson, governor and president, and on that single occasion you had audience with the idiot, became a wimp and instead spewed false adulations on him, calling him ‘the best thing since sliced bread....’
9. Evaded tax and duties, and then went ahead to bribe the Revenue Officer to issue you a fraudulent Tax Clearance Certificate
10. Obtained a drivers licence without actually being to a testing ground and passing the prescribed practice test
11. Paid less to clear your goods at the port
12. When caught-out one way or the other, is your disposition to take full responsibility for your actions or to immediately start thinking/looking for who can/will bail you out/shield you from the natural consequence of your actions
13. Turned-up late for work and blamed a non-existent traffic congestion
14. Are you the ultimate custodian of the ‘African Time’, always late for appointments
15. Do you live only to enjoy the titillations of your five senses, no matter the negative effect of your ‘enjoyment’ on others and society
16. Are you an academic but have not contributed anything to the body-stock of knowledge; your specialization is indolence and college politics
17. Taken money to vote in a particular way instead of voting your conscience
18. Covered the truth, thwarted the truth or hinder the arbiter of the truth for your own selfish/sinister motives
19. Held others to a higher ‘code of conduct’ than you demand of yourself
20. Taken money or other valuables under false pretences and justified it on the grounds of ‘this is the way it is done here...’
21. Having done the above, did you then enter the church/mosque or other religious congregation and gave testimonies of ‘God’s (or Allah’s) goodness’
22. Are you an integral part of your society’s problem and you do not even realise it
If ever, you answered ‘yes’ to many of the preceding posers, you have no ground to stand on and criticize your representatives; they after all represent what you stand for, your modus operandi, your values and your reward systems. The (wo)man to criticize and change is the one looking back at you in the mirror

Author of this article: AYO FALETI

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96351:why-our-society-is-underdeveloped&catid=67:you-report-lagos&Itemid=583

17 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by k2039: 11:27am On Dec 29, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]Unfortunately, I'm guilty of none [/color]Hard to believe I guess.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by ifebosco: 11:51am On Dec 29, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]Unfortunately, I'm guilty of none [/color]Hard to believe I guess.
are you a product of our nigerian system?then its hard to believe

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by redsun(m): 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
A society without guided laws,principles,formations,orders and precedences,in other words without culture,can not develop.
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Callotti: 1:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
Because the brains are under-developed! kiss

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
Callotti: Because the brains are under-developed! kiss
Put in a harsh way but I would agree with you on this one.
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by ebamma3: 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
@Op are u a learner?
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by ebamma3: 1:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]Unfortunately, I'm guilty of none [/color]Hard to believe I guess.
your own na play, even your pastor is guilty of one of the above crimes,

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by SisiKill1: 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
Callotti: Because the brains are under-developed! kiss
Couldn't agree with you more.

The day I read people condemning and practically crowing at the plight of an 11 yrs old girl raped by 5 guys all because of her tribe and what her momma did for a living was the day I kinda gave up hope.

The people who govern the country are a reflection of a large percentage of the people they govern. So why do we expect it to be anything but shitty?

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by safarigirl(f): 2:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
satanmark666: Get Free MTN Cards By Predict Who Will Win On Match Via (www.2gobet.org)
It's things like this that make Nigeria underdeveloped, in one summary smiley

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by k2039: 2:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
safarigirl: It's things like this that make Nigeria underdeveloped, in one summary smiley
gringringringringringringringringrin
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 29, 2012

Have you entered a cab or bus where the driver drove against traffic? If yes, you are part.

Have you a drivers license in naija? If yes, who tested you?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
Majority on here won't read this thread.

There is no D'banj, Tonto, "PIC" or "VIDEO" attached attached to the topic.

Mental laziness should be up there as one of the reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by mrjingles(m): 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
This thread wont go far because it contains HARD truth and requires self examination instead of the usual insults of our "leaders" I have always argued that we are a contributors to the corruption around us. Lets ALL agree on that then we can move fwd. We are one of the most hypocritical nation. When someone does something, its "tribalism" "wickedness" etc, when I do it its "sharpness" "smartness". NO society can develop where people are allergic to truth and we wear lies like face cap.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Uchenna42(m): 2:13pm On Dec 29, 2012
safarigirl: It's things like this that make Nigeria underdeveloped, in one summary smiley

Tell am grin
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
DEUTERONOMY 28 CURSES AND MALACHI 2 VS 9 AND JOB 36 VS 12 AND ISAIAH 29 VS 14 <<<< ALL SPIRITUAL
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by cap28: 2:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
these are merely symptoms of a corrupt system and do not address the CAUSE of the corruption which was created by the western imperialist system of capitalism which still dicatates your economic and political system, you need to do more research and look at where the problem originated from as opposed to the end result of that problem which you have listed up there.

until nigeria gets out from under the western hegemony of the UNITED STATES AND THE EU there is no hope for nigeria or any other african nation.

the european nations dictate your economic policies via their international financial institutions ie IMF, world bank and the Paris club

they own and control your media- everything your domestic media reports must be authorised by them first, their own media operates freely and without any restrictions in your countries and their news takes precedence over your own news

your educational system is tailored in accordance with their own educational system

you replace your own religious systems with their own - christianity and islam

IN OTHER WORDS YOU ARE A ROBOT OF WESTERN HEGEMONY - YOU HAVE NO MIND OF YOUR OWN AND YOU DO NOT OWN OR CONTROL YOUR OWN NATURAL RESOURCES HOW THEN CAN YOU BE BLAMED FOR THE COLLAPSE OF YOUR OWN SOCIEITIES?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by k2039: 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2012
Vikin:

Have you enter a cab or bus where the driver drove against traffic? If yes, you are part.

[color=soyouquotedme]The driver committed the offence, I didn't he drove against traffic.

About the license, that I wasn't tested was not my fault, they refused to test me
[/color]
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by proudlyafrican(m): 2:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
If this a test question to win One billion naira no Nigerian will pass this test oooo walahi.I think there are certain negative things we have come to accept as normal which has led to our under developed state.
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by k2039: 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2012
shagarri: Majority on here won't read this thread.

gringringringringringringrin
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]The driver committed the offence, I didn't he drove against traffic.

About the license, that I wasn't tested was not my fault, they refused to test me
[/color]

ThankGod u admitted, then you are no exception.

At post, Nigeria needs total overhauling.
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by safarigirl(f): 2:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
cap28:

these are merely symptoms of a corrupt system and do not address the CAUSE of the corruption which was created by the western imperialist system of capitalism which still dicatates your economic and political system, you need to do more research and look at where the problem originated from as opposed to the end result of that problem which you have listed up there.

until nigeria gets out from under the western hegemony of the UNITED STATES AND THE EU there is no hope for nigeria or any other african nation.

the european nations dictate your economic policies via their international financial institutions ie IMF, world bank and the Paris club

they own and control your media- everything your domestic media reports must be authorised by them first, their own media operates freely and without any restrictions in your countries and their news takes precedence over your own news

your educational system is tailored in accordance with their own educational system

IN OTHER WORDS YOU ARE A ROBOT OF WESTERN HEGEMONY - YOU HAVE NO MIND OF YOUR OWN AND YOU DO NOT OWN OR CONTROL YOUR OWN NATURAL RESOURCES HOW THEN CAN YOU BE BLAMED FOR THE COLLAPSE OF YOUR OWN SOCIEITIES?
guy, you quote essay, still come write essay on top the essay, where will intellectually lazy people like me start from?
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by mrjingles(m): 2:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
cap28:

With all due respect sir this argument is so old and tired, not even marx, engels and lenin can present it with a straight face. The issues raised are simple issues within each ones power. Its high time we stop this "blame the west" knee jerk reaction. Other countries with the same colonial experience have moved forward so that crutch is no longer available.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by rash47(m): 2:26pm On Dec 29, 2012
No much, because generally we lack

Sophistication and the

almighty (mis)blessed us with a

Deafitist mentality rooted in

Crudity and babarity. One conti

nue to wonder that even the bright

est ones amongst us can't make a

Significant change when they '

re around us.
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by bigfat: 2:27pm On Dec 29, 2012
[size=15pt]because Nigeria is less than 60 yrs and full of blacks governed by a black brain compared to USA at AT 400 yrs old and full of whites governed by a black brain lol[/size] fictional too
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by 2legit2qwt: 2:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
cap28:

Bullsh1t!! straight up bullsh1t. I didn't wanna make a comment but this argument drives me nuts. I think the op should include the attitude of blaming others instead of taking responsibilities for our actions. We always wanna take the easy way out which is to blame others for our failures. I have heard this all my life, it's so damn irritating to my ears now.

9 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by k2039: 2:35pm On Dec 29, 2012
Vikin:

ThankGod u admitted, then you are no exception.

At post, Nigeria needs total overhauling.

[color=soyouquotedme]What was I suppose to do in those situations [/color]
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by taharqa: 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
Read tru d list and cant help but engage in sm form of self vanity: Apart from d license tining, am kinda CLEAN....grin
Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]What was I suppose to do in those situations [/color]

Come down from the bus.

Insist on being tested before getting the license....a good way to start.

No one is going to kill you

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 29, 2012
Vikin:

Have you enter a cab or bus where the driver drove against traffic? If yes, you are part.

Do you know I went to renew my drivers license and they made it practically impossible for me to get it the right way even when I was determined to, it was so frustrating. After long I just called up an officer and gave their runs ammount which was even far lesser than if I have done it the legal way and in two days time I had a new license bearing Ogun state even though I did it in abuja. My point : The system has almost made it impossible for you to do things the right way. If NIGERIA CAN'T FIGHt CORRUPTION, THEY SHOULD JUST LEGALISE IT lol

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped by nnachichi(f): 2:50pm On Dec 29, 2012

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism / President Goodluck Jonathan's Eid-el-fitri Message To Nigerians / Marketers To Suspend Fuel Importation Over N356.2bn Unpaid Subsidy Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.