Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? (11758 Views)

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! / Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by plendil: 10:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
*Kails*:

@bolded: SPOT ON!!!
Using internet slang or abbreviations does not mean someone is not intelligent. The issue is that the generations before us did not have such easy access (if any) to the internet and therefore are not used to certain expressions. They should understand that some of the most intelligent people abbreviate. In fact our BRB is like their "etc" or "asap". For as long as language has been in existence, there was always other ways to express oneself. English has evolved many times. From being pure Germanic to what it is today, it's still changing. That's life.

As for the red part, carelessness or not paying attention to what you are doing can cause that. It happens to the best of us sometimes. Don't assume it can't/won't happen to you now. wink

That I believe is why we proofread our official write ups before handing them in. Even if somehow the 'LOLs' and 'ur' crept in during the drafting phase, it is expected they would all have been weeded out by the time the final draft is ready.

I do quite a lot of texting, which invariably involves the use of those colloquial contractions; nonetheless, I simply cannot imagine writing an official report and end up using 'ur', 'msg', 'l8tr'. It doesn't happen.

Bottom line: Its either you either you know English or you don't. Using slang shouldn't an excuse for an obvious deficiency.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by k2039: 10:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
Cori_corde: Exactly. I don't remember reading a text with the words written in full. Eveybody talks lyk dis noe. What is this nonsense?

[color=soyouquotedme]Funny enough, I always write my sms in full. [/color]
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by chacha3(f): 11:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
Of course, especially the written aspect.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by elcatino: 11:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
A-ZeD:

English is the official language of the country, the constitution is written in English,its the only subject that is compulsory in Jamb.
So na dat one go make us achieve vision 20:20 abi?

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
of course it's really affecting some people... imagine in an Exam. Waec for that matter. A candidate will write "ur" for your "u" as you. Ehn it's somehow oh. ...via Nokia

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by tobiorire: 12:44am On Dec 30, 2012
Sunymoore: Quite tru cox i rembrd whn i was wrtng englsh dis yea, instd of schools i wrote .skulls. Its truli quite unfotunt. But as frm nw, i will tri as much as i can to wrte a complt wrd even in a forum o chat rum.
grin
Sunymoore: Quite tru cox i rembrd whn i was wrtng englsh dis yea, instd of schools i wrote .skulls. Its truli quite unfotunt. But as frm nw, i will tri as much as i can to wrte a complt wrd even in a forum o chat rum.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Trendytessy(f): 1:08am On Dec 30, 2012
It depends on the individual's knowledge of English., if you know how to speak fluently and write correctly,you won't have any troubles.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by AZeD1(m): 1:14am On Dec 30, 2012
el catino: So na dat one go make us achieve vision 20:20 abi?
When you can't do the simple things right how do you expect to do the complicated things right?
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 3:21am On Dec 30, 2012
When writing elders I make sure they throw in a "lol" before I do. I think its more respectful that way. My bad habit is not using apostrophes grin

*Kails*:

Yes they are. However the effects are still the same. Some computer savy or "net slang" speakers tend to forget who they are communicating with most times. If you send an email to an elder relative or someone who may not know what "LOL" or "BRB" means, it could not only confuse them but give off a negative view of you.

I am guilty of this too btw (by the way). wink

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by great664(m): 6:19am On Dec 30, 2012
Yes, its really affecting many people even my collegues but not me. Thats one of the reason i can't switch to Qwerty phones, i love numeric keypad phones because when you are using T9 english it makes you faster and the words are complete too, if you want to unlearn the way you abbreviate words, i will advice you to change to numeric keypad smartphones and not Qwerty smartphones. Just my thought.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by jibrael: 7:11am On Dec 30, 2012
i quite agree wit clefcentfelix. It actaully depends on d invidual. If one is versatile in all aspects of the English language, i dont think there would be any problem. Thus, I would advise we imbibe the reading culture or rather read books on common errors in english. smileyi quite agree wit clefcentfelix. It actaully depends on d invidual. If one is versatile in all aspects of the English language, i dont think there would be any problem. Thus, I would advise we imbibe the reading culture or rather read books on common errors in english.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 30, 2012
Yes cry

Pidgin English too.

I'll start sending vocal text messages sef. Texting annoys the heck out of me.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Yes cry

Pidgin English too.

I'll start sending vocal text messages sef. Texting annoys the heck out of me.
Ileke-ide Wept
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Capnd143(m): 7:51am On Dec 30, 2012
lol! Hahahaha, You will try as much as possible but your still abbreviating. The journey starts now.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Basilona(m): 8:50am On Dec 30, 2012
ebucha: Queens English does not improve the economy of a nation, ask the Chinese prime minister (fastest growin economy), Germans or maybe Japanese. The English currency and Economy overtook ours years back cos they made us slave to their language. Gramma good oh,but e no go giv us light,water and road. SEEK FOR DEVELOPMENTAL KNOWLEDGE!!

Tell 'em my brother.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Ninilowo(m): 9:35am On Dec 30, 2012
Very correct! what I also notice is that some young chaps give better grammer when online than in actual sense. Those that are so dull in class "appear" smarter when chatting.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 30, 2012
plendil:

That I believe is why we proofread our official write ups before handing them in. Even if somehow the 'LOLs' and 'ur' crept in during the drafting phase, it is expected they would all have been weeded out by the time the final draft is ready.

I do quite a lot of texting, which invariably involves the use of those colloquial contractions; nonetheless, I simply cannot imagine writing an official report and end up using 'ur', 'msg', 'l8tr'. It doesn't happen.

Bottom line: Its either you either you know English or you don't. Using slang shouldn't an excuse for an obvious deficiency.

Who da fcuuk proofreads? e gba mi.

Am I being graded on the www by a couple of cyber losers/ nonentities, with fcuuk buddies and mystical happy ever after?

That boat has saileddddddddddddd

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Omonjoe(m): 9:38am On Dec 30, 2012
They have affected our written english badly but they have done more good to our general life
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by tayoccu(m): 9:42am On Dec 30, 2012
The real problem lies in the fact that a lot of people can not differentiate between formal writing, and informal writing.
When writing an informal document, it's ok to "lol", "lmao", "wtf" etc.
But stick to proper lingua for formal documents.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by tallfish145(m): 9:45am On Dec 30, 2012
U needs to read written job interwiews where english language is turned upside down![color=#000099]
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by princeapi(m): 11:37am On Dec 30, 2012
Most people don't even know when to put .,"or start a sentence with a capital letter.i just have to change my way of chatting from now on.tnx
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Afam4eva(m): 12:13pm On Dec 30, 2012
chidexy:

@Afam, English is now a universal language. Mastering it will not impede fluency in one's mother tongue or ability to learn other languages. We may not know the disservice we are doing to ourselves until we find ourselves in the midst of people from other nations - most people find it difficult understanding our (Nigerian) diction.

The earlier we get serious (and hard) with the young ones on the proper use of spoken and written language skills, the better for us. Other nations are taking note and Nigerians are gradually being required to write English language test to prove their proficiency - what was unheard of some years ago
You talk like a slave. The bolded is an evidence. Do these people care if you understand their own diction? But you're here worrying about them not understanding your own. This is one of the reasons why Africa may never move forward because we'll rather copy than create our own unique product with what we have.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by donsax: 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2012
Shior!!! How does this stop the foreign schools from mandating toefl or ielts from Student from Nigeria .
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Koolking(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2012
Baba Eto:

Don't claim to be Mr know all here, the fact that pple write in abbreviatn does nt mean dey r not intelligent or brilliant it jus to save space and time wen writin informally. Wen I write formally I don't use such abreviatns. A serious minded person will not use such in an official document. Enjoy ur day.
You shouldn't have bothered quoting me. I couldn't make make out all what you wrote up there. Try again. Enjoy your day.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by MeandSum: 2:22am On Dec 31, 2012
I'm not sure if smartphone has anything to do with this but Nigerians speak and write the worst English you can think of. Absolutely pathetic.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by bigpastor(m): 6:50am On Dec 31, 2012
Fredrick909: of course it's really affecting some people... imagine in an Exam. Waec for that matter. A candidate will write "ur" for your "u" as you. Ehn it's somehow oh. ...via Nokia
I don't like it either
But the examiner go undersatnd that one
Atimes I have to call the sender, to ask the meaning of some abbreviations.
the aim to save time and space is lost in my calling or texting back for clrification.
Like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by plendil: 7:50am On Dec 31, 2012
MeandSum: I'm not sure if smartphone has anything to do with this but Nigerians speak and write the worse English you can think of. Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, we know. Yeye undecided
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by chidexy(m): 9:16am On Dec 31, 2012
afam4eva:
You talk like a slave. The bolded is an evidence. Do these people care if you understand their own diction? But you're here worrying about them not understanding your own. This is one of the reasons why Africa may never move forward because we'll rather copy than create our own unique product with what we have.

@Afam, I don't know about being a slave, but you haven't disputed what I said in my earlier post: that we are failing this and subsequent generations of Nigerians by not insisting on the right things being done correctly. What would it take to insist on proper writing skills? I am talking from the point of having mentored many Nigerian Students outside the comfort zone of Nigeria (where almost everyone understands our "speak"wink, where they have to interact with people from other nations and are mandated to speak and write - one can't help but notice the gradual regression in the area of spoken and written English.

We always hide behind the cliche: It's not our mother tongue, but whatever is worth doing (in this case, learning the English language), has to be done right.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Afam4eva(m): 7:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
chidexy:

@Afam, I don't know about being a slave, but you haven't disputed what I said in my earlier post: that we are failing this and subsequent generations of Nigerians by not insisting on the right things being done correctly. What would it take to insist on proper writing skills? I am talking from the point of having mentored many Nigerian Students outside the comfort zone of Nigeria (where almost everyone understands our "speak"wink, where they have to interact with people from other nations and are mandated to speak and write - one can't help but notice the gradual regression in the area of spoken and written English.

We always hide behind the cliche: It's not our mother tongue, but whatever is worth doing (in this case, learning the English language), has to be done right.
I agree that whatever is worth doing is worth doing weell. So, we should not also forget to tackle the reduction of Igbo speakers too. Some of you just fight tooth and nail to protect the English language as if it's your language but won't bat an eyeland when you see people that can't speak their native language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

81 Students Bag First Class At Bowen University, Iwo – VC / 5 Important Things You Need To Know About JAMB 2018 / 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.