Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,899 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. (949 Views)

LASRRA: Lagos Residents To Collect Permanent Residency Card From Their LGA/LCDAS / Obama Signs Bill To Grant Victor Chukwueke U.S. Permanent Residency. / Fashola Signs Bill To Regulate Govt’s Borrowing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by daylae(m): 4:12pm On Dec 29, 2012
Obama signs bill to grant Nigerian student U.S. permanent residency By Faith Karimi, CNN
UPDATED: 07:38 AM EST 12.29.12
A Nigerian immigrant's dream came true when President Barack Obama signed into law arare private bill granting him permanent residency in the Unites States.
Victor Chukwueke, who lives in Michigan on an expired visa, came to the United States 11 years ago to undergo treatment for massive face tumors.
He graduated from a university in the state, and plans to attend an Ohio medical school that requires him to have permanentresidency, also known as a green card.
In a rare act, the United States Congress passed a private bill this month granting him permanent residency. Obama signed the bill Friday.
Private bills -- which only apply to one person and mostly focus on immigration -- are rarely approved. His is the only one to pass in Congress in two years.
"I was overwhelmed with joy; it was nothing less than a miracle," the 26-year-old says."Only in this country can so many miraculous and wonderfulthings happen to someone like me."
Before coming to the United States at age 15, Chukwueke lived in the southeastern Nigeriatown of Ovim.
He suffers from neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes massive life-threatening tumors on his face.
Treated as an outcast because of his deformed face, he was depressed and humiliated, he says. His family abandoned him at an orphanage after taking him to the nation's best facilitiesfor treatment.
"I went to a large teaching hospital in Nigeria and the doctor touched my face and said there was nothing they could do," he says. " I cried and begged him to do something. I was so tired of the humiliation."
Nuns from the Daughters of Mary Mother of Mercy rescued him from the orphanage in 2001 and arranged for a Michigan doctor to perform surgery on him.
He considers himself lucky to have developed the tumors.
"Without them, I would not havemet the nun, left Nigeria, arrivedin the U.S. and had the miracle to attend medical school," he says.
He lives with the nuns in Oak Park, Michigan. They have cared for him since he came to the U.S., where he has undergone seven surgeries, including one that left him blind in the right eye.
Despite the obstacles, he remains committed to getting an education.
He finished his GED -- the equivalent of a high school education -- while undergoing treatment and enrolled at a community college.
A benefactor helped him attend Wayne State University, where he graduated last year with a bachelor's in biochemistry and chemical biology. He had a 3.82 GPA and gave the university's commencement speech.
"Should I call myself a victim, or should I press forward to my dreams?" he asked during the speech amid thunderous applause.
Soon after his graduation, the University of Toledo in Ohio admitted him to medical school. The only hurdle: The program requires him to have permanentresidency status.
With Obama's signature, his wish has come true.
"My own personal struggles to receive treatment have motivated and encouraged me to pursue a medical career ... to alleviate the pain and suffering of others," he says. "A medical career will allow me many gratifying years of making a difference in the health and livesof others."
Chukwueke's journey to get legalized has seen many strangers rally to his help.
Inspired by his story, Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat, sponsored the bill, S. 285. The measure passed the Senate in the summer and the House this week.
Attorney Thomas K. Ragland took his case pro bono.
"Victor's story is remarkable," says Ragland, who is based in Washington D.C. "Here is this kid who comes from Nigeria, he was taunted and teased for his diseases, and he comes to this country and excels, despite so many surgeries. It is a testamentof not letting anything get in theway."
The number of illegal immigrants in the United States was estimated at 11.5 million last year.
Following the signature, the State Department will reduce by one the number of immigrant visas available to Nigerians.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullarticle?topic=newsarticle&category=cnnd_us&articleId=cnn/2012/12/29/world/africa/us-nigerian-obama-law#page2

1 Like

Re: Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by masterpiecer(m): 4:54pm On Dec 29, 2012
This is just one of many stories why any1 shouldn't av an excuse to fail in life, imagine going from disease to destiny.
very motivating story

2 Likes

Re: Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by tzetzefly(m): 5:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
daylae: Obama signs bill to grant Nigerian student U.S. permanent residency By Faith Karimi, CNN
UPDATED: 07:38 AM EST 12.29.12
A Nigerian immigrant's dream came true when President Barack Obama signed into law arare private bill granting him permanent residency in the Unites States.
Victor Chukwueke, who lives in Michigan on an expired visa, came to the United States 11 years ago to undergo treatment for massive face tumors.
He graduated from a university in the state, and plans to attend an Ohio medical school that requires him to have permanentresidency, also known as a green card.
In a rare act, the United States Congress passed a private bill this month granting him permanent residency. Obama signed the bill Friday.
Private bills -- which only apply to one person and mostly focus on immigration -- are rarely approved. His is the only one to pass in Congress in two years.
"I was overwhelmed with joy; it was nothing less than a miracle," the 26-year-old says."Only in this country can so many miraculous and wonderfulthings happen to someone like me."
Before coming to the United States at age 15, Chukwueke lived in the southeastern Nigeriatown of Ovim.
He suffers from neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes massive life-threatening tumors on his face.
Treated as an outcast because of his deformed face, he was depressed and humiliated, he says. His family abandoned him at an orphanage after taking him to the nation's best facilitiesfor treatment.
"I went to a large teaching hospital in Nigeria and the doctor touched my face and said there was nothing they could do," he says. " I cried and begged him to do something. I was so tired of the humiliation."
Nuns from the Daughters of Mary Mother of Mercy rescued him from the orphanage in 2001 and arranged for a Michigan doctor to perform surgery on him.
"Without them, I would not havemet the nun, left Nigeria, arrivedin the U.S. and had the miracle to attend medical school," he says.
He lives with the nuns in Oak Park, Michigan. They have cared for him since he came to the U.S., where he has undergone seven surgeries, including one that left him blind in the right eye.
Despite the obstacles, he remains committed to getting an education.
He finished his GED -- the equivalent of a high school education -- while undergoing treatment and enrolled at a community college.
A benefactor helped him attend Wayne State University, where he graduated last year with a bachelor's in biochemistry and chemical biology. He had a 3.82 GPA and gave the university's commencement speech.
"Should I call myself a victim, or should I press forward to my dreams?" he asked during the speech amid thunderous applause.
Soon after his graduation, the University of Toledo in Ohio admitted him to medical school. The only hurdle: The program requires him to have permanentresidency status.
With Obama's signature, his wish has come true.
"My own personal struggles to receive treatment have motivated and encouraged me to pursue a medical career ... to alleviate the pain and suffering of others," he says. "A medical career will allow me many gratifying years of making a difference in the health and livesof others."
Chukwueke's journey to get legalized has seen many strangers rally to his help.
Inspired by his story, Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat, sponsored the bill, S. 285. The measure passed the Senate in the summer and the House this week.
Attorney Thomas K. Ragland took his case pro bono.
"Victor's story is remarkable," says Ragland, who is based in Washington D.C. "Here is this kid who comes from Nigeria, he was taunted and teased for his diseases, and he comes to this country and excels, despite so many surgeries. It is a testamentof not letting anything get in theway."
The number of illegal immigrants in the United States was estimated at 11.5 million last year.
Following the signature, the State Department will reduce by one the number of immigrant visas available to Nigerians.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullarticle?topic=newsarticle&category=cnnd_us&articleId=cnn/2012/12/29/world/africa/us-nigerian-obama-law#page2

Absolutely Remarkable....

1 Like

Re: Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
daylae:
"Without them, I would not have met the nun, left Nigeria, arrivedin the U.S. and had the miracle to attend medical school," he says.
u go fear wishes!
I m happy 4 him sha.
tzetzefly:
Absolutely Remarkable....
why do u v 2 quote the whole damm thing? Are u a learner?

1 Like

Re: Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by CaptCavey(m): 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
masterpiecer: This is just one of many stories why any1 shouldn't av an excuse to fail in life, imagine going from disease to destiny.
very motivating story

abio. . .some pple just use their present predicament as an excuse,not knowing its a secret road to their destination. They know the guy has prospects thats why they helped him.
Re: Obama Signs Bill To Grant A Nigerian Student U.S Permanent Residency. by daylae(m): 9:52pm On Dec 29, 2012
Even with all the problems of fiscal cliff and gun control tursle between Obama and the house,the guy's case is a priority.

(1) (Reply)

The Reason Why, They Neglect To Be Campaigned For Him!! / Gov. Okorocha’s Daughter Marries His Commissioner / Soyinka’s Valentine Letter To Africa’s First Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.