Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,153 members, 7,780,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:48 AM

One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? (26057 Views)

Driving Automatic Vehicles With Both Legs. / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by chucksbadt(m): 10:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
i am currently learning how to drive and all the cars in my house are automatic.......i want to know if it advisable to use 2 legs while driving automatic?....or is one leg preferable....if yes..why?

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by fastlane84: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2012
You need jst one leg 4 auto trans, n 2 legs 4 manual trans. Because d left leg z only used4 clutch which happens 2 b absent in auto trans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by BasseyJ(m): 11:30pm On Dec 29, 2012
To add to the question, i already drive, i learnt on my own so didnt have anyone telling me what to do, i use 2 legs, one for acceleration and one for the brakes. Is there any harm in doing this??
Thanks
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 30, 2012
BasseyJ: To add to the question, i already drive, i learnt on my own so didnt have anyone telling me what to do, i use 2 legs, one for acceleration and one for the brakes. Is there any harm in doing this??
Thanks

Dangerous. In an emergency situation, you could stamp on the gas pedal, instead of the brake. So yes, there's plenty of harm in driving the way you do.

13 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by BasseyJ(m): 12:40am On Dec 30, 2012
Siena:

Dangerous. In an emergency situation, you could stamp on the gas pedal, instead of the brake. So yes, there's plenty of harm in driving the way you do.
Thanks for the prompt answer. I try to use the one legs now, but i kindof fumble and have to look down at times. Thanks again, i'll try harder now
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by cretin: 7:59am On Dec 30, 2012
well. not exactly true.i learnt on my own too, so use 2 legs......its even better and it keeps the 2 legs busy ..i hv been in close shaves a couple of times...and never slammed on the gas pedal in error, my brain has adapted to it.........tried unlearning it sometime ago, when peeps critisiced me...but never could unlearn.......so am living with it n loving it!! grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by zikclassiq(m): 4:01pm On Dec 30, 2012
Me dey use two o!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by abdulkadir(m): 9:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
gone are d good old days when you had to pass driving tests to drive on our roads.
its unimaginable dat u use ur left foot for d brake pedal.

13 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by chucksbadt(m): 10:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
so from the above comments i can see that both one or two legs during driving is advisable........i really dont agree that driving with two legs for automatic is risky
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
Initially, when i started driving my 3rd car (auto gear), i used one leg. But when I got so used 2 d car, I started using 2 legs but pls dont do it 2 impess anyone. It could mean trouble
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
I use my two legs to drive my car which is auto and I have been using my two legs for more than ten years. A coleague of mine saw me do it one day when I gave him a lift and he was like how do u do it? Aint it dangerous? I just ignored him. It is not meant to be done by everyone and if someone is daft, he or she shudnot try it.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by SisiKill1: 1:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
Driving automatic with two legs?

. . ..How is that even possible?

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by 50calibre(m): 1:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
One leg for automatic. I tried using two legs when I began driving automatic, but it was just too stressful so I switched to one leg (ie right leg)

And no you can't mistakenly slam on the accelerator instead of the breaks because of muscle memory. Once your right leg gets used to it then it instinctively knows what to press at what time.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by lalaboi(m): 1:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
One foot . . . while i was learning to drive a few years back i used 2 in an automatic, i panicked in a situation and pressed gas rather than break cos i was inconsistent, i smashed my pops car danu lol. .
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by adonisgold: 1:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
Braking with ur left leg is damned risky!
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by israel007: 1:46pm On Dec 31, 2012
Smh. ...... Someone reading this would be tempted to try it and may spoil the beginning of 2013. Na wa o

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 31, 2012
left leg on brake?
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by victorazy(m): 1:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
dont try 2 legs or u die
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by pwiz(m): 1:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
I'm used to manual. The day I drove an automatic car, I kept using two legs cos I'm used to it but was often corrected by my colleagues. I think dia is no harm in using two but better to use on to be safe cos of a sudden stop.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by silentc(m): 1:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
The concept of using one leg for the accelerator and break is that they both perform functions that relate to motion of the car i.e increasing or reducing speed.

The view is that this should be done with one foot so only one or the other is done at any point in time.

So with an automatic or manual car, you still use one foot for the brake and accelerator.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by just4kelvin(m): 1:50pm On Dec 31, 2012
BasseyJ: To add to the question, i already drive, i learnt on my own so didnt have anyone telling me what to do, i use 2 legs, one for acceleration and one for the brakes. Is there any harm in doing this??
Thanks
wel, you can also use 2 legs bt u must ensure not to press d acceleration and brake pedal simultaneously. my advise

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by ghettodreamz(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
Make use of one leg ONLY.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by pwiz(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Driving automatic with two legs?

Quite possible.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2012
victorazy: dont try 2 legs or u die
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by ghettodreamz(m): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Driving automatic with two legs?

Possible, neither is it convenient nor recommendable.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by pwiz(m): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2012
silentc: The concept of using one leg for the accelerator and break is that they both perform functions that relate to motion of the car i.e increasing or reducing speed.

The view is that this should be done with one foot so only one or the other is done at any point in time.

So with an automatic or manual car, you still use one foot for the brake and accelerator.
Never, you can't use one leg in driving a manual car.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Temi231(f): 1:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
You will use one leg for automatic now and two legs for manual
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by aieromon(m): 1:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
There's a reason why you programme your right leg to manage both the throttle and brake pedals.

You could confuse your muscles when you switch to a manual transmission car.

Drive with two legs at your own risk and skills.

1 Like

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
I think using two legs for automatic is mostly done by those who started with manual driving and got used to it.
They tend to use two legs because they are used to the idea of driving with both legs and don't know how to keep any leg idle. The ideal thing is to use only the right leg when driving automatic.

2 Likes

Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by djeezy(m): 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
For safety, make use of only one leg.
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by ojuikwu: 2:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
Igbo wey dey do beggar 4 lagos self get motor but then like black bizzz God dont make me as an igbooo man if im 2 come back 2 this world .thanks 4 ur corporation
Re: One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles? by hercules07: 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2012
fellis: I think using two legs for automatic is mostly done by that those who started with manual driving and got used to it.
They tend to use two legs because they are used to the idea of driving with both legs and don't know how to keep any leg idle. The ideal thing is to use only the right leg when driving automatic.

Not true, I started with beetle, even drove manual trucks and I have never used the two legs for driving an automatic car, it is not even natural.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business? / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / Ahh Ahh!!! See How These Dogs Tore A Car Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.