Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,856 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. (17808 Views)

The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi / The Tribes Of Nigeria Are Fake. / Out Of All The Tribes In Nigeria Igbos Tend To Have The Broadest Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 9:27am On Dec 30, 2012
This particular tradition is common with Isoko and Urhobo people of Delta state. Where the adulterous ways of a wife results in the kids of the marriage falling ill, sometimes resulting to death and this trend continues until the Husband dies too should the wife refuse to confess and perform the necessary rites to appease the gods/ancestors. This is taken seriously as you would even hear staunch Christians say "they no dey serve God reach there,you must go village go run the sacrifices". From my investigation I realized that this is a sexist tradition as adultery by the husband has no consequences. I also got to know this is based on a particular wine drinking rite which is performed during the traditional marriage rite where these things are said. I would love for anyone has witnessed this or have been told about this based on oral tradition to shed more light on it.

2 Likes

Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by toshmann(m): 6:55am On Jan 01, 2013
I hope this is a joke. Bc if not, it's unfortunate. Which kind yeye culture be this? Why should the kids and husband die for a woman's extra-marital sexual philanthropy? If the ancestors and their gods are afraid of the woman they should at least go and attack the man that slept with another man's wife.

See me see wahala o

1 Like

Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 11:36am On Jan 01, 2013
It think it was that way believing the fear of the woman losing her kids and husband would push her to confess and believe me to the best of my knowledge it is very real. This is one of the reasons there is a general belief that Isoko and Urhobo women don't have philandering ways.
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by tpia5: 6:51pm On Jan 01, 2013
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:00pm On Jan 01, 2013
toshmann: If the ancestors and their gods are afraid of the woman

shut up. they are not afraid o the woman. wetin nonsense be you talk? angry
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ifyalways(f): 10:53am On Jan 02, 2013
I don't know how true this is but the good thing with nearly all of African traditions is :it only works when you subscribe and believe in it. Therefore,if a man decides on subscribing by taking his bride for the necessary sacrifice,he should be well prepared to live and deal with the consequences.

1 Like

Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 12:10pm On Jan 02, 2013
tpia@:
Toshmann

Eshu ni e sha.

In English madam
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by toshmann(m): 1:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
ezme: It think it was that way believing the fear of the woman losing her kids and husband would push her to confess and believe me to the best of my knowledge it is very real. This is one of the reasons there is a general belief that Isoko and Urhobo women don't have philandering ways.
Which kind argument be this? How about the woman dying if she flirts and so she can avoid cheating for fear of loosing her own life? How can an innocent man and his children die for the sin of a loose woman and another man? The only people who didn't die are the two people who engaged in adultery. And you tell me this isn't a joke undecided
Abasi mbok
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by toshmann(m): 1:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

shut up. they are not afraid o the woman. wetin nonsense be you talk? angry
Oya tell me why dem leave the woman, leave the man wey de woman Carry cheat on her husband and go and unleash their yeye vengeance on people wey no do anything? tongue

@ify
I guess many isoko and urhobo women don't subscribe to this because. . . . . . . . . you know now wink
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by OmoAlata(f): 2:47pm On Jan 02, 2013
ezme:

In English madam

Toshmann

Eshu ni e sha.

Toshmann

You are a devil sha smiley
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by toshmann(m): 3:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
Whaat angry
Tpia, wetin I do you? angry
How Nigerians carry de think sef? That I opposed a culture that kills innocent peeps over the coital generosity of a loose married woman now makes me devil?
So tpia you will like that culture eh? Okay, I understand. Anytime you're tired of your husband you just display you privates for a stronger and kaput- your husband kpeme grin
Even sef he go kpeme with the kids grin
And yet I'm the devil for opposing this . Na wao
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
toshmann:
Which kind argument be this? How about the woman dying if she flirts and so she can avoid cheating for fear of loosing her own life? How can an innocent man and his children die for the sin of a loose woman and another man? The only people who didn't die are the two people who engaged in adultery. And you tell me this isn't a joke undecided
Abasi mbok

I was made to understand that there is a sequence to this, the kids die first, then followed by the Husband should the woman refuse to confess. Usually when a child is ill and the doctor is having a hard time to pin-point the actual cause of illness and this illness has elapsed two weeks(most kids have died under a shorter time window) and still no solution, that is usually point where the suspicion starts.Also, not failing to mention that this curse comes into effect when the husband in question still sleeps with the wife and eats her food.
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ibide(m): 8:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
Am an urhobo .all what the op said are truel the man will only die if he eat the food cook by the wife but for the children no story they are ghost alredy al the must occure if the bride nil down to collect the wine or shenap from the man or if the woman collect money from her boy friend to cook for the man or children no story but i dont know of isoko i can only confarm that of urhobo
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ifyalways(f): 9:46pm On Jan 02, 2013
ibide: Am an urhobo .all what the op said are truel the man will only die if he eat the food cook by the wife but for the children no story they are ghost alredy al the must occure if the bride nil down to collect the wine or shenap from the man or if the woman collect money from her boy friend to cook for the man or children no story but i dont know of isoko i can only confarm that of urhobo
not very clear undecided
Are you saying that this "culture" is sealed once a bride kneels down to give or take drink to/from the husband on the traditional wedding day?
Is that not how its done everywhere ie bride kneeling to take or give groom wine ?
Clarify.

On a side note, this culture is not limited to ND. I know a town in Igbo land where its pratised.
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 10:24pm On Jan 02, 2013
ifyalways: not very clear undecided
Are you saying that this "culture" is sealed once a bride kneels down to give or take drink to/from the husband on the traditional wedding day?
Is that not how its done everywhere ie bride kneeling to take or give groom wine ?
Clarify.

On a side note, this culture is not limited to ND. I know a town in Igbo land where its pratised.

This wine is shared by the bride and groom and is usually given to the couple by the groom's father or the eldest male from the groom's family present(not too sure though)
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by tpia5: 4:10am On Jan 03, 2013
@ toshmann

the op is clearly up to no good, i'm surprised you're helping him with his demonic mission.

yall need Jesus, God punish satan.
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by ezme(m): 9:08am On Jan 04, 2013
tpia@:
@ toshmann

the op is clearly up to no good, i'm surprised you're helping him with his demonic mission.

yall need Jesus, God punish satan.

@tpia, I just wanted an avenue for people to share their own experience of this oral tradition as handed down to us. I sincerely don't mean any harm to any group
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by theresechizoba(f): 10:03pm On Jan 13, 2013
When I heard abt such customs I was bittered. I actually went for a. Trad at ubulu-uku in delta state and heard the announcement when the father was abt to give her the wine and after knowing all this she has the opportunity to remain single or remain faithful. I later spoke to two women around the place who were going thru the same ordeal,its either u confess and get nakedly beaten at the market. Square or u pay a certain amount to get urself cleansed and such money wud b manufactured by ur sweat,which implies u must labour for it otherwise she is sent away. Hmmmmmmm.I got to know this since I spent few days with them. Hmmmm again.
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by Godmother(f): 9:57am On Jan 20, 2013
I am Urhobo and I must say this culture really exists. It has put d fear of God into a lot of our women.lol. But like it has been said, its an unfair one cos it does not apply to men and the men can go about sleeping around once they get married.*sad*
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by omoharry(f): 12:27pm On Jul 01, 2014
I am an Urhobo. This is true oo. what i know is that if the man suspect that his wife is cheating on him and he still continues to eat her food which could have been use with money collected from other men, then the husband will be affected. That why you find out that the Urhobo women rather divorce their husbands for any first before getting involve with another man.
This is why Infidelity is not very rampant among married urhobo and Isoko women. This does not happen if an Urhobo girl is married to another tribe ooo, it only happen if the when the man is an Urhobo man.

3 Likes

Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by adunni76: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2016
I wud like to know if this tradition affects a woman who isn't urhobo(yoruba,hausa etc) but is married to an urhobo man
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by asocustar91(f): 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2016
I don't think it affects d kid n husband, na d woman will go in for it..
My husband brothers wife cheated n lied on it.. Na it my husband brother carry her go village, she drank d God's stuff..
Now she dey suffer am.. Leg swollen, boils around her body
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by adunni76: 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2016
asocustar91:
I don't think it affects d kid n husband, na d woman will go in for it..
My husband brothers wife cheated n lied on it.. Na it my husband brother carry her go village, she drank d God's stuff..
Now she dey suffer am.. Leg swollen, boils around her body

Is she urhobo or its ur hubby's bro who is urhobo and she isn't?
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by adunni76: 6:10pm On Apr 09, 2016
omoharry:
I am an Urhobo. This is true oo. what i know is that if the man suspect that his wife is cheating on him and he still continues to eat her food which could have been use with money collected from other men, then the husband will be affected. That why you find out that the Urhobo women rather divorce their husbands for any first before getting involve with another man.
This is why Infidelity is not very rampant among married urhobo and Isoko women. This does not happen if an Urhobo girl is married to another tribe ooo, it only happen if the when the man is an Urhobo man.
What of if d woman isn't urhobo and d man is?
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by asocustar91(f): 1:30pm On Apr 10, 2016
adunni76:

Is she urhobo or its ur hubby's bro who is urhobo and she isn't?

My hubby's Bro n d wife are Urhobo.. Both from Okpe Lga
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by chukzyblingz(m): 4:44pm On Apr 10, 2016
This culture also exists in Anioma area
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by emetesi: 8:41pm On Feb 23, 2017
grin grin see as my country people dey fear... Don't worry: your case is different...
The owner of the portion has carried it. It is not your portion! grin
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by Rukkydelta(f): 10:43pm On Feb 24, 2017
I'm from Urhobo
Women have upgrade this is 2017, protective jazz never finish for market cool
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by Nobody: 3:34am On Nov 05, 2017
Rukkydelta:
I'm from Urhobo
Chai!!!
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by iamphill: 12:05am On Jan 19, 2018
[quote author=ifyalways post=13652119]not very clear undecided
Clarify.

On a side note, this culture is not limited to ND. I know a town in Igbo land where its pratised.[/quote

]

Which town in igbo land
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by Peacefullove: 8:05am On Apr 06, 2020
Rukkydelta:
I'm from Urhobo

I have always said any man who put his trust in Jazz is not only insecure but senseless...
Re: Adultery By The Wife; Death Of The Kids,husband And The Tribes Of Delta State. by AreaFada2: 8:50am On Apr 06, 2020
Peacefullove:

I have always said any man who put his trust in Jazz is not only insecure but senseless...
Lol.

The said culture is common to virtually all Edoids tribes. From Edo to Delta.

A woman who knows she has cheatedted should stay away from her kids and hubby. No cooking for them and certainly no sleeping with the hubby. Until she confesses and stones for it.

But even if she doesn't sleep with him or cook for him but the husband becomes aware of the infidelity, then trouble.

I am all about science but I have seen the consequences in the past. I didn't believe until I saw those few cases. Maybe some go scot-free.
But even at that it's stronger in certain clans within a tribe. Aristocracy and royalty certainly.

Elders told us of an older case. In this case the lady admitted only on her death bed. She named whom she cheated with and her admitted it. She was accused by the local egungun deity who forbids adultery. Basically pointed her out from the crowd during the deity festival.

She denied. Egungun asked her to swear. She brazenly did. I guess to save face. She swore to carry the consequences with her head and NOT her child or hubby. She basically called the egungun a liar by doing so.

The hubby lived till about 88. Her child is still alive. The cheating woman died like 50 years ago.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni: Succession Tussle Toughens - Vanguard / Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues / The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.