Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,441 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! (14503 Views)

Nigerian Actors To Pay $1000, Producers Pay $5000 To Work In Ghana / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 4:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
New Movie Oke Ochicho Starring Emeka Ike, Oge Okoye, Tony one week Soundtrack: Flavour Nabania

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 4:12pm On Dec 31, 2013
New Movie 2013 Umu Oyoko, Odogwo

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 4:06am On Jan 01, 2014
Eifeh: New Movie 2013 Umu Oyoko, Odogwo

Eifeh: New Movie Oke Ochicho Starring Emeka Ike, Oge Okoye, Tony one week Soundtrack: Flavour Nabania

Thanks a lot man. Please where can I download these movies please?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 10:05am On Jan 01, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Thanks a lot man. Please where can I download these movies please?
Saw it on yutube
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2014
Eifeh: New Movie Oke Ochicho Starring Emeka Ike, Oge Okoye, Tony one week Soundtrack: Flavour Nabania

I just watched the movie on youtube. Its wonderful.

I never knew Emeka Ike and Oge Okoye could speak Igbo.

If I may ask, where's Emeka Ike from? His dialect is new to me.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I just watched the movie on youtube. Its wonderful.

I never knew Emeka Ike and Oge Okoye could speak Igbo.

If I may ask, where's Emeka Ike from? His dialect is new to me.
Pls, let's stop this. It's an embarrasment if we keep highlighting this sentiment. Why should Emeka Ike who is over 40 not know how to speak Igbo? As much as there are very few people of that age bracket who are Igbos but can't speak the language, we have to assume that someone of that age bracket can speak Igbo until proven otherwise.

Btw, Emeka Ike is from Imo state.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
Pls, let's stop this. It's an embarrasment if we keep highlighting this sentiment. Why should Emeka Ike who is over 40 not know how to speak Igbo? As much as there are very few people of that age bracket who are Igbos but can't speak the language, we have to assume that someone of that age bracket can speak Igbo until proven otherwise.

Lol. Got you, man. cool
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:

I honestly don't get what your issue is with us expressing surprise at some actors speaking Igbo. We're not used to seeing them speak Igbo so it is only natural to be surprised to see them flow with ease in the language. Stop making it a big deal.

@bigfrancis21, Emeka Ike is an Mbano man.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:05pm On Jan 04, 2014
AdannayaBella:
I honestly don't get what your issue is with us expressing surprise at some actors speaking Igbo. We're not used to seeing them speak Igbo so it is only natural to be surprised to see them flow with ease in the language. Stop making it a big deal.
Why should you be surprised? Were they born in New York? Do they have an American accent? How will you be surprised at someone who has lived most of their lives in Nigeria speaking Igbo. Especially one who's over 30 years. The Igbos who can't speak the language are the younger generation who mostly lived outside Ala Igbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
Why should you be surprised? Were they born in New York? Do they have an American accent? How will you be surprised at someone who has lived most of their lives in Nigeria speaking Igbo. Especially one who's over 30 years. The Igbos who can't speak the language are the younger generation who mostly lived outside Ala Igbo.
The last time I checked, many of the younger generation Igbo actors, Emeka Ike included, grew outside Igbo land. Again, the reason why our surprise is natural. There are some who grew up in Igbo land who can't even speak Igbo, that completely waters your point down.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
AdannayaBella:
The last time I checked, many of the younger generation Igbo actors, Emeka Ike included, grew outside Igbo land. Again, the reason why our surprise is natural. There are some who grew up in Igbo land who can't even speak Igbo, that completely waters your point down.
Emeka Ike mostly grew up in Lagos and that not withstanding people of that age, no matter where they grew up in Nigeria usually know how to speak Igbo because those days, Igbos were more tight nit and their parents spoke Igbo to them at home. How many over 40 people have you seen that can't speak Igbo except they're not fully Igbo. You should be surprised if someone like Sharon Ezeamaka can speak Igbo and not Emeka Ike. Even Americana Hanks Anuku speaks Igbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
Emeka Ike mostly grew up in Lagos and that not withstanding people of that age, no matter where they grew up in Nigeria usually know how to speak Igbo because those days, Igbos were more tight nit and their parents spoke Igbo to them at home. How many over 40 people have you seen that can't speak Igbo except they're not fully Igbo. You should be surprised if someone like Sharon Ezeamaka can speak Igbo and not Emeka Ike. Even Americana Hanks Anuku speaks Igbo.
Regardless of age, I won't be surprised if anyone who grew up outside Igbo land cannot speak Igbo. You would be surprised at the number of people over 40 who grew outside who can't speak Igbo. Anyway, all I am saying is, we all have a right to express surprise at people who we didn't think were familiar with Igbo speaking Igbo. It's our reaction, not yours. Stop hounding people for it like it's a major crime.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:38pm On Jan 04, 2014
AdannayaBella:
Regardless of age, I won't be surprised if anyone who grew up outside Igbo land cannot speak Igbo. You would be surprised at the number of people over 40 who grew outside who can't speak Igbo. Anyway, all I am saying is, we all have a right to express surprise at people who we didn't think were familiar with Igbo speaking Igbo. It's our reaction, not yours. Stop hounding people for it like it's a major crime.
You have the right to react the way you like just like i have the right to react to your reaction. By always showing surprise at Igbos speaking Igbo, you're telling people that majority of Igbo people don't speak Igbo. You're also attaching some kind of importance to these celebrities like they did not grow up like most other Igbo people.

2 Likes

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by prof800(m): 8:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
I have a yoruba friend who was born and bred in okokomaiko...he speaks anambra igbo fluently!
Now there is nothing suprising about that.!

1 Like

Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
You have the right to react the way you like just like i have the right to react to your reaction. By always showing surprise at Igbos speaking Igbo, you're telling people that majority of Igbo people don't speak Igbo. You're also attaching some kind of importance to these celebrities like they did not grow up like most other Igbo people.
Firstly, Igbo is gradually dying. Majority do not speak it, start dealing with it. You even said it earlier, many people of the younger generation do not know how to speak it due to the laxity of their parents. Secondly, in regards to the highlighted, what in the world are you saying? We're only saying many of them grew outside Igbo land are expressing surprise just like we would have done to any other person. The same way we express surprise at personal buddies of ours who we didn't think could speak their native language flowing in it. Nobody is attaching any importance to these celebrities. You're the one making a mountain out of a molehill.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Eifeh(m): 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
all of them speek igbo i have seen their igbo movie Oge Okoye, jim ike, yul edochie, Muna Obikwe etc
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
AdannayaBella:
Firstly, Igbo is gradually dying. Majority do not speak it, start dealing with it. You even said it earlier, many people of the younger generation do not know how to speak it due to the laxity of their parents. Secondly, in regards to the highlighted, what in the world are you saying? We're only saying many of them grew outside Igbo land are expressing surprise just like we would have done to any other person. The same way we express surprise at personal buddies of ours who we didn't think could speak their native language flowing in it. Nobody is attaching any importance to these celebrities. You're the one making a mountain out of a molehill.
Igbo language is dying in your mind but not in reality. I used to think like you until i noticed that i was using the age bracket of Igbos of my age and below to judge. Igbo language is not dying, though less people seem to be speaking it by the day. 99% of Igbos in Igboland speak Igbo and majority of Igbos from 30 years and above who live outside Igboland speak it as well...As per those celebrities, the likes of Oge Okoye, Emeka Ike and Igbotic in the truest sense. Forget the fact that they're celebrities and speak English with a quasi foreign accent. These people can blow Igbo more than you and i. I'm only surprised when someone who was born outside Nigeria and have lived their for most of their lives speak Igbo or seeing an ajebutter Igbo person outisde Igboland speaking Igbo. Less people may be speaking Igbo but it hasn't gotten to the extent when we'll say it's dying.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 8:57pm On Jan 04, 2014
Very soon someone will be surprised that patience Ozokwor and Chiwetalu Agu ncan speak Igbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
Igbo language is dying in your mind but not in reality. I used to think like you until i noticed that i was using the age bracket of Igbos of my age and below to judge. Igbo language is not dying, though less people seem to be speaking it by the day. 99% of Igbos in Igboland speak Igbo and majority of Igbos from 30 years and above who live outside Igboland speak it as well...As per those celebrities, the likes of Oge Okoye, Emeka Ike and Igbotic in the truest sense. Forget the fact that they're celebrities and speak English with a quasi foreign accent. These people can blow Igbo more than you and i. I'm only surprised when someone who was born outside Nigeria and have lived their for most of their lives speak Igbo or seeing an ajebutter Igbo person outisde Igboland speaking Igbo. Less people may be speaking Igbo but it hasn't gotten to the extent when we'll say it's dying.
You shouldn't be surprised, after all, they're all Igbos, not New Yorkers.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 9:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
AdannayaBella:
You shouldn't be surprised, after all, they're all Igbos, not New Yorkers.
If i hear NBA star, Emeka Okafor speak Igbo, i will be surprised because he's lived most of his life in the states but definitely not an Igbotic person who lives in Nigeria and over 30 years old. It may be possible in the next 10 years as people who are 20 years today will be 30 years by then but as at right now, i think above 30 Igbo are lucky. I am 27 and i'm not bad myself.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
Can Cynthia Areh speak Igbo?
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 9:14pm On Jan 04, 2014
CFCfan: Can Cynthia Areh speak Igbo?
Who's that? That surname as far as i know is Yoruba and not Igbo.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
Who's that? That surname as far as i know is Yoruba and not Igbo.

She's a presenter on...Channels
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2014
CFCfan:
She's a presenter on...Channels
I think she's Yoruba.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
I think she's Yoruba.

Ok
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by bigfrancis21: 1:55am On Jan 05, 2014
AdannayaBella:

@bold...I used to have that thinking few years back that Igbo language s dying. But then I discovered that the age bracket of non-speakers were children born outside Igboland, and that when these children grow, over 90% learn how to speak Igbo. I am an example, myself. And I know countless others like me who speak fluent Igbo now who didn't speak it as children.

So you'll see that the language isn't in anyway dying or close to dying. Let's look at the mathematical figures. The current population of non-speakers won't exceed 1% or 2% of the total Igbo population. You know what that means. The current Igbo population stands at about 35m to 40m and 1% to 2% non-speakers is 350,000 to 400,000, figures of which I think are even too much sef.

This same figure of which you're sure that way over half will definitely speak Igbo as adults, thus making the language death seem unlikely.

Also, don't forget that while there may be a gradual increase in the non-speaking population, the speaking population(which is 100 times greater than non-speakers) is definitely increasing in population too, in greater numbers than the non-speakers. That's another sustaining factor to point to.

Then in Igboland, the language is very much alive. It is spoken in virtually everywhere, and used everywhere. Its very hard to find a non-speaking adult Igbo person who grew up in Igboland. Very hard.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by passion007: 11:05pm On Jul 21, 2014
I just discovered this thread, and then watched Nwa Abakaliki on YouTube.
Angela Okorie was flawless; I was a bit surprised the Abakaliki dialect was intelligible to me from start to finish. In fact, the dialect bears an uncanny semblance to Nkanu dialect, and then appears to transition towards Nsukka dialect.
I would like to see more Igbo movies celebrating our rich linguistic heritage.
Sorry to ressurect this thread---I had to.

Collins Chidebe has another movie in the offing: Nkoli nwa Nsukka

http://momo.com.ng/news/watch-watch-mac-collins-chidebes-new-flick-nkoli-nwa-nsukka/
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 4:37am On Jul 22, 2014
passion007: I just discovered this thread, and then watched Nwa Abakaliki on YouTube.
Angela Okorie was flawless; I was a bit surprised the Abakaliki dialect was intelligible to me from start to finish. In fact, the dialect bears an uncanny semblance to Nkanu dialect, and then appears to transition towards Nsukka dialect.
I would like to see more Igbo movies celebrating our rich linguistic heritage.
Sorry to ressurect this thread---I had to.

Collins Chidebe has another movie in the offing: Nkoli nwa Nsukka

http://momo.com.ng/news/watch-watch-mac-collins-chidebes-new-flick-nkoli-nwa-nsukka/
Different Igbo dialects were actually spoken in that movie. The dialect that Angela Okorie spoke was different from the one her uncle spoke. What her uncle spoke was pure Nkanu dialect.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by Afam4eva(m): 4:43am On Jul 22, 2014
This is some funny ish grin I can't wait for Nkoli nwa nsukka to be out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9f8Ige8ds

The Nsukka dialect also seems pretty the same with the Nkanu dialect to me.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by passion007: 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
Afam4eva:
Different Igbo dialects were actually spoken in that movie. The dialect that Angela Okorie spoke was different from the one her uncle spoke. What her uncle spoke was pure Nkanu dialect.

A-ha!
I was quite surprised when I heard her uncle say "O bu e-ye"
I always knew that's Nkanu's anthem.
Then again, when he said "Wunitewe" ie "Be on your way"
But Ishielu and nearby areas of Ebonyi are essentially Nkanu.
In fact what we know as Nkalagu is actually Nkanu Agu.
And there's a saying in Ebonyi: "Ji diri Nkalu dikwara Ehugbo ma nke Nkalu karie"
It would appear that in times past, the Nkalu and the Ehugbo (Afikpo) were the popular Igbo subgroups in the area.
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by passion007: 12:35pm On Jul 22, 2014
Afam4eva:
Re: The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! by jiggaz(m): 4:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
Wow i came across this thread via google and i love it. I use to love Nollywood films way back in the nineties when they were good. But when they deviated in the 2000s to start producing all those Palace movies & Blackberry babes /Range Rover babes movies, i lost interest.

But i became interested when i watched Ada Mbano!!! Damn!!! Queen Nwokoye was too much in dat movie. Then i started looking for all her movies both English and Igbo. She tweeted few days ago dat they are in London shooting ADA MBANO IN LONDON!!! Cant wait for it o lol. I watched Ada Mbano from Part 1to 10 cos its soo good.

Regarding whether these Nollywood actors and actresses speak Igbo or not, most of them speak the Igbo language fluently. Oge Okoye studied Theatre Arts at Unizik Awka. We were in the same faculty but she was a few years ahead of me. She speaks Igbo fluently, she grew up in Enugu and she's from Nnewi.

Mike Ezuronye speaks Igbo fluently, he studied Accounting Education at Unizik Awka. He's from Mbano but grew up in Lagos. Nonso Diobi too speaks fluently. He studied Theater Arts at Unizik too. He's from Nawfia in Anambra State but grew up in Enugu.

Muna Obiekwe too speaks Igbo fluently, he's from Okpuno in Awka North LGA of Anambra State. He grew up in Awka and Enugu. I have heard Genevieve speak Igbo but she speaks her Mbaise dialect. Most of them speak Igbo fluently. I will go and look for all these Igbo movies you guys mentioned. I love Igbo movies they are entertaining lol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AIT Returns After Court Nullifies NBC’s Suspension / Which Is The Cartoon Of Alltime / Which Movie Has The Highest Sex Scenes And Interesting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.