Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst (25051 Views)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by BluStreak(m): 10:14am On Dec 31, 2012
Please mods take this to front page as it could save lives.

70% of the accidents on our road this xmas has been attributed to tire burst most especially when it is the front tyre. I had a 1st hand experience when I saw an FG owned Hilux Truck do an acrobatic on the asaba - benin expressway. Thank God no life was lost. The driver attributed the accident to a front tyre burst. There were several other accidents on the east - west road stretch all attributed to tyre burst. We will not forget in a hurry that of the governor's Lexus SUV also caused by a front tire burst. Some of these vehicles are brand new or less that 3yrs bearing in mind that these tyres have a life span of 4-5yrs.

My question now is, considering our hot climate which causes the surface of our highways to heat up several degrees from about 12noon to 5pm, causing the tyre pressure to also take a hike. What will be the ideal tyre pressure for long trips on these highways? I saw a lot of accidents on my way to the east this season & on enquiry, the cause is always the same; tyre burst.

Personally, I do 35psi front tyres and 40psi back tyres for my long trips outside Lagos. I assume this will give room for the pressure peak when the highways get heated up.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 31, 2012
I do 40 psi all round and I think its ok.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 31, 2012
40 psi is way too high.

With tyre pressures, the correct inflation pressures are those set by the automobile manufacturer - not the maximum pressure the tyre manufacturer states the tyre will take safely (as shown on the sidewall).

There's a common misconception, that the bigger the tyre, the more pressures they always need. All things being equal, this is true. But there are too many variables, so it doesn't work that way. An example is a 195/55x15 tyre on a 2004 Honda Civic, Honda recommends 32 psi. Then compare to a 265/70x16 on a 2002 Mitsubishi Shogun / Pajero, which Mitsubishi recommend 26 psi. Then go to an average sportbike, this pressures go up to 57 psi.

When your life is concerned you can't guess tyre pressures for long-distance, high-speed driving, and "think it is okay." ALWAYS glo by your particular automobile manufacturer's RECOMMENDED settings. Even if the pressures recommended "appear low" and the tyre looks "low", don't be tempted to increase it. Tyre pressures are determined by the weight of the automobile, the suspension settings as well as the performance the engine offers. So just because a 205/55x16 tyre on a 2009 Toyota Camry has a recommended pressure of 32 psi, does not mean the same size tyre ona 2005 Audi A4 Quattro will be the same.

Following the automobile manufacturer's recommendations can save lives, second guessing on the other hand could have catastrophic results.

The recommended tyre pressures for your particular automobile can be found in different places:

* Owner's Manual.
* Inside fuel filler flap.
* Inside driver's door shut area.
* In engine compartment on data sticker.
* In luggage compartment on data sticker.
* In glovebox on data sticker.
* Behind driver's side sun visor (common on japanese SUV's).
* Online!

When checking online, make sure you know your engine size, and you have your tyre size to hand. As the pressures for a Honda Civic 1,4 LS and a 2,0 V-Tec WILL be different, even if the tyres are the same. Auto and manual cars with the same engine AND tyre size will also have different tyre pressures (at the front, at least on FWD cars) as the auto trans adds approx. 20 - 55 kilos extra weight.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by BluStreak(m): 11:55am On Dec 31, 2012
@Siena

So for a 2007 Honda Accord is my configuration too high? I have a 35psi front tyres & 40psi back tyres. I thank God for my life oº°˚ . To imagine I had my entire family (wife, daughter & Nanny on this trip).

1 Like

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
I have got to check mine kiakia.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by biggiyke(m): 3:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
i stand corrected tho.
but i think under inflation is d principal cause of tire burst & not d reverse as commonly suspectd. the effect of over inflation is basically rapid/non-uniform tire wear, bumpy drivin xperience & an increased chances of skidding.
on d other hand, under inflation increases the surface area in contact with d road, increasing friction, which in turn generates more heat & by simple physics, increases the pressure of the tire up to a point of exploding.
more important than pressure monitoring is d quality or grade of tire we put on our cars.
once again, i stand correctd on this.

3 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by jerk: 5:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
Which tyre is best for our roads?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by sultaan(m): 6:25am On Jan 01, 2013
Stay at 32 psi all 4 tyres

3 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by BluStreak(m): 7:21am On Jan 01, 2013
Wow! I checked my car & what I saw sent shock waves all over my system. Ignorance has led many to their early grave due to tyre bursts.

My findings:
2007 Honda Accord
All 4 tires are 215/50
Recommended tyre pressure
Front Tyres - 32psi
Back Tyres - 29psi

But in Nigeria, once you pull over at a vulcanizer and requests for a tyre gauge, you will get 45 - 50psi inflations for all your tyres. No wonder the bible said my people perish for lack of knowledge. We should all take this matter seriously as this has been a major cause of most fatal accidents on our highways.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Ikenna351(m): 8:31am On Jan 01, 2013
BluStreak: Wow! I checked my car & what I saw sent shock waves all over my system. Ignorance has led many to their early grave due to tyre bursts.

My findings:
2007 Honda Accord
All 4 tires are 215/50
Recommended tyre pressure
Front Tyres - 32psi
Back Tyres - 29psi

But in Nigeria, once you pull over at a vulcanizer and requests for a tyre gauge, you will get 45 - 50psi inflations for all your tyres. No wonder the bible said my people perish for lack of knowledge. We should all take this matter seriously as this has been a major cause of most fatal accidents on our highways.

I came back from a trip yesterday. You need to see a lot of cars that ended up in the bush along Abuja-Enugu highway. Its not always about the state of our highways, but our own mistakes, ignorance or carelesness. You will see a city car doing about 160 km/h or more, expecting miracle to happen if it has a blow out, as if the car was design to take such speeds. Anyway, thats a story for another thread.

Ideal thing is for one to have his or her own tyre pressure guage. So that, you can always return it to the factory psi yourself, after each time you add air to the tyres via the vulcanisers. Its what i do. The pressure guage dosent cost. 1k or 2k can get you a good one.

But do know that if you want your fuel economy to improve slighly, you can add a little psi over the factory. If the instruction is to leave the tyres at 32 psi, you can leave it at 33 or 34 psi, and the fuel economy will improve. Unfortunately, if you do that, it will cost you something else. The brake will suffer. That is the stopping distance will increase and the brake wont be as sharp as it used to. So you gain some, you lose some. But its ideal to leave it at the factory psi, which is safe. I would prefer my brake to be sharper than become a miser because i want to save fuel.

Ikenna.

12 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by shiftbutton: 2:58am On Jan 02, 2013
This product is a must have for every car to keep your tyre optima at all times.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by austin4real(m): 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
Mine has 60psi in both front and baq.. Its an acura MDX. Is dat waay too high
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Tobiizzy(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2013
austin4real: Mine has 60psi in both front and baq.. Its an acura MDX. Is dat waay too high

60psi oga na trailer tyre pressure be that my 4runner has 32psi all round your car should be in the same range

1 Like

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 02, 2013
austin4real: Mine has 60psi in both front and baq.. Its an acura MDX. Is dat waay too high

Santa Maria! 60 psi?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by symbianDON(m): 1:41pm On Jan 04, 2013
again we may all want to learn from my experience: sometime in feb last yr i asked a vulcaniser to inflate d front tire on my car cos i observed d pressure was too low and i was embarking on a drive from lagos to abuja. He did, i paid him and then set out. Note that he did dat for all other tires. I personally instructed him to ensure and all round 32psi. About 30km from lagos, while on my journey, doing 140km/hr, the front tire driver's side exploded ripping off d side mirror in d process. But for God, i don't know what would have happened to me but i managed to regain control of d car till i came to a stop. Upon getting another vulcaniser to verify d pressure in d tires, i found d previous guy had inflated them to an insane 50psi!!!! Morale: always verify your tire pressure independently inspite of wat ur vulcaniser says especially before embarking on any journey. Never give out your tires to be inflated. Be there to supervise the inflation of ur tires.

9 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Wallie(m): 5:07pm On Jan 04, 2013
It is not as complicated as you guys make it. As was said before, just go by what your manual says if your tires are correctly sized.

In other words, if your manual says the tire size for your car is 225/45r17 and you have that size installed, then you should be able to follow your manufacturer’s tire pressure recommendations to the T.

Keep in mind that an empty car has a different tire pressure than a fully loaded car. And that’s why you have min and max pressures.

Over-inflating your tires will cause uneven tire wear, longer stopping distances due to less tire contact, rougher handling etc.

Under-inflating tires is probably the number reason for tire blowouts. Too low a tire pressure will cause more friction and greater rolling resistance between the tires and ground, which will increase the tire temperature past its limit.

3 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Josh316(m): 10:58am On Jan 07, 2013
i stand corrected tho.
but i think under inflation is d principal cause of tire burst & not d reverse as commonly suspectd. the effect of over inflation is basically rapid/non-uniform tire wear, bumpy drivin xperience & an increased chances of skidding

I beg to disagree...
it follows the law of physics, when a gas heats up, it expands. now if there is over-inflation of the tire, the tire on constant motion will heat up due to friction. then add the variable of a hot road surface and you could increase the temp of the tire even further. Now if this tire has been overinflated, the expanded gas has no where to accommodate the expansion, and what you will get is an explosion. A tire blow out from over-inflation is dangerous cos of the force of the explosion can trigger a chain of irreversible events which could even tip the car over depending on its centre of gravity.

Under-inflating a tire has a different consequence. the friction also heats up the tire, but due to the under-inflation, the surface area of the tire in contact with the ground is more and the result is more wear and tear. now if there is a weak spot on/in the tire, the hot expanded gas (air in this case) will exploit it and the result will be a blow out too. this is less dramatic than an over-inflated blow-out but loss of control can still occur and if it is at high speeds, it will occur.

so, the key is CORRECT TIRE INFLATION

8 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by BluStreak(m): 4:21pm On Jan 10, 2013
I am using this opportunity to beg our dear brothers and sisters about the consequences of over-inflating of tyres. Just this мσяηιηg at about 8:00 am on my way back to Lagos, a Posche Cayene (hope I got dat right) overturned several times somewhere between Asaba & Umunede. Thank God no life was lost probably because a sinless baby was in the vehicle. Cause of accident: front tyre blowout. A more fatal one happened after Okada in Edo state. The vehicle is a Toyota 4runner SUV. Cause of accident: the same front tyre blowout. I am sure there will be fatality because of what is left of the vehicle.

I witnessed that of the Posche Cayene happen in a flash cos I was less than 700 meters behind it. I couldn't take pictures cos it will seem insensitive of me taking picture when people are groaning in pain and sympathizers throned the scene.

Pls my people, if you drive a Sedan or an SUV, do not inflate your tyres past 35psi. You are safer at that pressure. Also, do not inflate it to the max rating as indicated by your tyre manufacture cos that rating is in extreme conditions. I'd rather go with the mean which falls within the 35psi range.

A lot of our people have died as a result of ignorance.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh! @Austin4real, 60psi all round on Acura MDX? That is suicidal.

Let's stop the avoidable carnage on our roads.

3 Likes

Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nwunuken(m): 5:44pm On Jan 10, 2013
BluStreak: Please mods take this to front page as it could save lives.

70% of the accidents on our road this xmas has been attributed to tire burst most especially when it is the front tyre. I had a 1st hand experience when I saw an FG owned Hilux Truck do an acrobatic on the asaba - benin expressway. Thank God no life was lost. The driver attributed the accident to a front tyre burst. There were several other accidents on the east - west road stretch all attributed to tyre burst. We will not forget in a hurry that of the governor's Lexus SUV also caused by a front tire burst. Some of these vehicles are brand new or less that 3yrs bearing in mind that these tyres have a life span of 4-5yrs.

My question now is, considering our hot climate which causes the surface of our highways to heat up several degrees from about 12noon to 5pm, causing the tyre pressure to also take a hike. What will be the ideal tyre pressure for long trips on these highways? I saw a lot of accidents on my way to the east this season & on enquiry, the cause is always the same; tyre burst.

Personally, I do 35psi front tyres and 40psi back tyres for my long trips outside Lagos. I assume this will give room for the pressure peak when the highways get heated up.

what type car are u using?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by BluStreak(m): 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
@Nwunuken, its a 2007 Honda Accord.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
sultaan: Stay at 32 psi all 4 tyres
I have gone back to 32 all round for my 1996 camry. But the tires at the front look low whenever I park the car. So do u think is ok or I shud increase them again.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
tpacalipse: I have gone back to 32 all round for my 1996 camry. But the tires at the front look low whenever I park the car. So do u think is ok or I shud increase them again.

That's how the tyres are meant to look. If the tyres are completely round at the bottom, then they're over-inflated. Don't increase the pressure, just because you don't feel they "look right."
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 12, 2013
Siena:

That's how the tyres are meant to look. If the tyres are completely round at the bottom, then they're over-inflated. Don't increase the pressure, just because you don't feel the "look right."
Ok thanks bross. I will stick to the 32 then. I appreciate.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by qleyo(f): 9:04am On Jan 12, 2013
My goodness, I wish I had read this earlier. I have been experiences low tire pressure on my brand new Ford Explorer since purchase and instead of my driver fixing it. He opted to inflate it weekly. I think he may have over inflated it as it burst on Monday.

Thank you for the info and where can one get a tire guage?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by kneyo14(m): 11:16am On Oct 08, 2017
Knowledge they say is power, good enough you're better informed now and you don't have to leave all decisions regarding your car to your driver now. Tyre gauge can be purchased at any good Tyre dealers shop or at ladipo.
qleyo:
My goodness, I wish I had read this earlier. I have been experiences low tire pressure on my brand new Ford Explorer since purchase and instead of my driver fixing it. He opted to inflate it weekly. I think he may have over inflated it as it burst on Monday.

Thank you for the info and where can one get a tire guage?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by COFOLAND(m): 8:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
i do 40 all round for my lexus es 330 hope its ok ?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by kingreign(m): 9:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
30 psi is what your es recommends.
COFOLAND:
i do 40 all round for my lexus es 330 hope its ok ?
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by COFOLAND(m): 10:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
kingreign:
30 psi is what your es recommends.
oops ,I will correct that tomorrow. Thanks
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by kay29000(m): 7:16am On Oct 09, 2017
Hmm...very informative.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Emeka71(m): 7:19am On Oct 09, 2017
symbianDON:
again we may all want to learn from my experience: sometime in feb last yr i asked a vulcaniser to inflate d front tire on my car cos i observed d pressure was too low and i was embarking on a drive from lagos to abuja. He did, i paid him and then set out. Note that he did dat for all other tires. I personally instructed him to ensure and all round 32psi. About 30km from lagos, while on my journey, doing 140km/hr, the front tire driver's side exploded ripping off d side mirror in d process. But for God, i don't know what would have happened to me but i managed to regain control of d car till i came to a stop. Upon getting another vulcaniser to verify d pressure in d tires, i found d previous guy had inflated them to an insane 50psi!!!! Morale: always verify your tire pressure independently inspite of wat ur vulcaniser says especially before embarking on any journey. Never give out your tires to be inflated. Be there to supervise the inflation of ur tires.
I thought all that pressure reading doesn't matter, just pump the tyre until you feel the tyre is okay.
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by Nbote(m): 7:25am On Oct 09, 2017
I don learn something new today. And I used to jus park and asked d vulcanizer to jus guage d tires. Wetin I sabi about d normal gauge or not before
Re: Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst by DjAndroid: 7:25am On Oct 09, 2017
This thread was opened in 2012.
That's it with mods. They will only be looking for Tonto dike, mercy Johnson and Tiwa savage to push to Frontpage, leaving educative posts like this one.

After 5 years, it has made Frontpage.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vehicle History-Safety & Recalls Updates / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) / Pope Francis Lamborghini Huracan Sold At Auction For $861575,4x The Retail Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.