Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,205 members, 7,780,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:08 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (655469 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2013
HTML

HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the main markup language for displaying web pages and other information that can be displayed in a web browser. HTML is the language of the web. Every other scripting language runs on HTML. HTML is NOT a Programming Language.

Where can i learn HTML?

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/html/index.htm

http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp

http://www.quackit.com/html/tutorial/

http://www.html.net/tutorials/html/

http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/

Ebooks

www.tutorialspoint.com/html/html_pdf_version.htm

www.zircon.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/dl/lessons.pdf

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4B51C3288CBE0D38

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by xterra2(m): 10:10pm On Jan 01, 2013
clementcro: Please i need someone who has a vast understanding about microsoft technologies to explain to me, what is the differences and similarities between
C# and C#.net
C++ and C++.net

Thanks
C# - pronounced 'C-Sharp' is a language created by Microsoft in the early 2000s. It is Object Oriented, it can be used for Console applications,mobile ( Microsoft's useless mobile OS) and desktop applications. It is NOT built to be Multi-platform or WORA(Write once read anywhere).
C# is part of Microsoft's .NET Framework , the .NET Framework is a combination of languages such as VB short for Visual Basic, C#, F#, it also has it's runtime called CLR - Common Language Runtime, applications written with .NET languages would ONLY work if .NET Framework is installed,and it ships with Microsoft's Crappy Windoze so that is not a problem but applications targeted at .NET framework 4.5 ( the latest) would not work until you have it installed.
.NET languages are written using Visual studio and i can say it is the BEST IDE . With Visual Studio (VS) you can also write html,css,javascript and C++. The C++ in used in Visual Studio is usually called Visual C++,it includes additional classes for writing windows desktop applications & others

C++ - basically it is the OOP of C Programming Language used to program everything from nuclear reactors,to fighter jets,embedded systems,windows applications (winforms only). It is Built to be Multi-Platform and it is WORA it has the extension of cpp.

15 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:12pm On Jan 01, 2013
CSS

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation semantics (the look and formatting) of a document written in a markup language. Its most common application is to style web pages written in HTML and XHTML. Again, CSS is NOT a Programming Language.

Where can i learn CSS?

http://www.w3schools.com/css/

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/css/index.htm

http://www.echoecho.com/css.htm

http://www.tizag.com/cssT/

http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/

http://www.quackit.com/css/tutorial/

Ebooks

www.tutorialspoint.com/css/css_pdf_version.htm

www.filecrop.com/css-tutorial-pdf.html

www.bjconsulting.co.za/archive/CSS%20Tutorial.pdf

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL07454EA7FF8D28AB

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by xterra2(m): 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2013
ibnquasale: i am a very confused person when it comes to choosing an "appropriate" programming language cry cry. i know the gurus here can help me. i read statistics and maths.
my desire is to be able to design front ends for my databases, design GUIs and desktop applications that can also serve as front ends or data analysis applications.

i know little of PHP, Python, CSS, Mysql (through video tutorials). one of my main challenge is i don't know what to do with them, especially after learning the basis..... i don't mind being an apprentice to an expert here wink grin grin

thanks in advance.
If you want your apps to be multi-platform Crappy windoze and OS X and Linux you can use java for it, else if it is only windows learn C#, if you want the app to be visually stunning on Mac OS X you have to use the Cocoa framework - and it means you have to learn Objective C - God i hate that language. It is NOT similar to C#,java and C++ but it is Object Oriented, do NOT think by learning any OOP you can easily learn objective C.

For GUI C# is better using Visual Studio for windows only like i said. For that it is easier to use SQL server - and it uses T-SQL a slight Variation from the Standardized SQL - just some slight changes and you can use Visual Studio's Drag and Drop to do things like JOINS
AM guessing the apps are for windows so learn C# - creating Front end you have to use winforms but for me i don't use it, it is OUTDATED i use WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation

I have given you all the information you need, pick your choice based on my EXPERT analysis wink

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
Now the Big Question is: Which Language Should i Start With??

Answer: I DON'T Know, It all depends on YOU

Suggestion

Embeded Systems: Assembly Language and C/C++

Desktop/Stand Alone Application: Java, C/C++, C#, Visual Basic, Visual Basic.NET, Python, Objective-c

Web Application: HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, JQUERY, PHP, ASP.NET, JSP/SERVLET, Python, Ruby

Mobile Application: Java, C++, Objective-C, C# etc

42 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ibnquasale(m): 11:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
xterra2:
If you want your apps to be multi-platform Crappy windoze and OS X and Linux you can use java for it, else if it is only windows learn C#, if you want the app to be visually stunning on Mac OS X you have to use the Cocoa framework - and it means you have to learn Objective C - God i hate that language. It is NOT similar to C#,java and C++ but it is Object Oriented, do NOT think by learning any OOP you can easily learn objective C.

For GUI C# is better using Visual Studio for windows only like i said. For that it is easier to use SQL server - and it uses T-SQL a slight Variation from the Standardized SQL - just some slight changes and you can use Visual Studio's Drag and Drop to do things like JOINS
AM guessing the apps are for windows so learn C# - creating Front end you have to use winforms but for me i don't use it, it is OUTDATED i use WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation

I have given you all the information you need, pick your choice based on my EXPERT analysis wink

Thanks so very much

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 12:14am On Jan 02, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Splendid!!, You did justice to it cool...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 12:16am On Jan 02, 2013
My Next Thread would be on my newly found love Adobe Flex and Actionscript 3. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by talk2hb1(m): 9:34am On Jan 02, 2013
Great work you have done here guys/gal me coming with my own post.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by lordZOUGA(m): 10:44am On Jan 02, 2013
whiztim... Nice.. If only people actually read posts..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 12:03pm On Jan 02, 2013
xterra2:
C# - pronounced 'C-Sharp' is a language created by Microsoft in the early 2000s. It is Object Oriented, it can be used for Console applications,mobile ( Microsoft's useless mobile OS) and desktop applications. It is NOT built to be Multi-platform or WORA(Write once read anywhere).
C# is part of Microsoft's .NET Framework , the .NET Framework is a combination of languages such as VB short for Visual Basic, C#, F#, it also has it's runtime called CLR - Common Language Runtime, applications written with .NET languages would ONLY work if .NET Framework is installed,and it ships with Microsoft's Crappy Windoze so that is not a problem but applications targeted at .NET framework 4.5 ( the latest) would not work until you have it installed.
.NET languages are written using Visual studio and i can say it is the BEST IDE . With Visual Studio (VS) you can also write html,css,javascript and C++. The C++ in used in Visual Studio is usually called Visual C++,it includes additional classes for writing windows desktop applications & others

C++ - basically it is the OOP of C Programming Language used to program everything from nuclear reactors,to fighter jets,embedded systems,windows applications (winforms only). It is Built to be Multi-Platform and it is WORA it has the extension of cpp.
also .Net programs do not compile directly to machine code but to CIL(Common Intermediate Language) you can also learn how to program in CIL wink. While the non .Net programs compile to machine code smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by madelinekim(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2013
p.josh:
@madelinmekin thanks a lot. Please send me a link to their website.

If you want to learn programming language and looking for good tutorial for learn programming than use w3school.com tutorial site. You can also search it through Google.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WhiZTiM(m): 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2013
Zikstar4me: tim, i am a beginer jst learnin html, but why wud u nid 1 mil USD To make ur own facebuk. What are u buyin?, and i tot u needed 2 knw nly html to make a website
Well in FEW WORDS, because Facebook explicitly rely on all of them... Facebook is not a simple system... but a very complex one!!!
**html/css/javascript/ajax for the front-end... what you are seeing....

**php/erlang/xmpp for what exchanges data request....

**php/erlang/C/C++/Java/Python for what the use to build Software that run the back-end... data storage, administration and co...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by dpuzo: 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2013
Still confused? Learn java, its a great first language and you can do anytin mobile, desktop, web and embedded(not sure yet). Nd it has great online support.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kachionubogu: 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
If you wanna to start with the programing language of computer first you should go with the C programing langauge and HTML.These are the basic language or we can say that first step in the programming world.Now a days PHP and Java script are very much used.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Afam4eva(m): 11:15pm On Jan 04, 2013
This is a wonderful thread.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mubitechnology: 6:37am On Jan 05, 2013
am student of computer engineering in kadpoly,pls whch programming language is good to start with,javanian in ur help here,

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Omogbhollahorn(m): 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2013
kachi onubogu: If you wanna to start with the programing language of computer first you should go with the C programing langauge and HTML.These are the basic language or we can say that first step in the programming world.Now a days PHP and Java script are very much used.
God bless you bro

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 2:34pm On Jan 05, 2013
smh for some kind people...

You are killing the aim of these thread, if one person says start with C another person says start with C# while some other person says start with JAVA or PHP without giving a valid reason, have you not confused the newbie even more??

I will hide any post that suggest a language without a valid reason and i will ban anyone that does it again...

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Omogbhollahorn(m): 2:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
Javanian: smh for some kind people...

You are killing the aim of these thread, if one person says start with C another person says start with C# while some other person says start with JAVA or PHP without giving a valid reason, have you not confused the newbie even more??

I will hide any post that suggest a language without a valid reason and i will ban anyone that does it again...
yes ma

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DAvIt0(m): 3:07pm On Jan 05, 2013
woooow This is good @Javanian also cant wait for for your Adobe Flex and Actionscript 3 thread

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mj(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2013

ASP.NET

ASP.NET is a Web application framework
developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow
programmers to build dynamic web sites, web
applications and web services.
ASP.NET simplifies developers' transition from
Windows application development to Web
development by offering the ability to build
pages composed of controls similar to a
Windows user interface. A Web control, such as
a button or label, functions in very much the
same way as its Windows counterparts: code
can assign its properties and respond to its
events. Controls know how to render
themselves: whereas Windows controls draw
themselves to the screen, Web controls produce
segments of HTML and JavaScript which form
parts of the resulting page sent to the end-
user's browser.
ASP.NET encourages the programmer to
develop applications using an event-driven GUI
model, rather than in conventional Web-
scripting environments like ASP and PHP. The
framework combines existing technologies
such as JavaScript with internal components
like " ViewState" to bring persistent (inter-
request) state to the inherently stateless Web
environment.
Tutorials
www.w3schools.com/aspnet/default.asp
www.developerfusion.com/t/asp.net/
www.asp.net/mvc

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by NEROSKY(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2013
[size=20pt]Am lost.... grin just a simple webmaster angry[/size]

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Maxkdave(m): 9:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
Zikstar4me: tim, i am a beginer jst learnin html, but why wud u nid 1 mil USD To make ur own facebuk. What are u buyin?, and i tot u needed 2 knw nly html to make a website

You cant only use html to build a website but its a good start if you wanna be a webmaster. Start with html, then php, css and later javascript. That should build your web designing career.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 9:11pm On Jan 05, 2013
omanifrank: c++ should be a try

Banned for 6 hours, The Next person that does this will receive a longer Ban...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.