Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658937 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by zebudaya(m): 8:40am On Mar 09, 2013
I apologize if I came off as rude, but I de lie? You wake up, get to your computer or phone and launch a browser. How many *modern* PC apps do you launch a day? Not trying to be rude, but I don't think you should tell a beginner to learn stuff for the desktop when the money is in web and mobile apps!, they need to learn server language and how to manipulate databases.

The only modern program written in C++ that I use consistently is Spotify, check out this article http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/spotify-confirms-web-app-in-the-works-currently-in-closed-beta/ others are Adobe, and Microsoft, those are legacy companies.

I want the young hustlers to run to where the ball is going to be, not where it was.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by lordZOUGA(m): 1:45pm On Mar 09, 2013
I think the industry is moving towards a point where desktop apps and mobile apps are going to be one. that is the future.

do you know the average paycheck of a C/C++ developer?
which awesome mobile app was written in python and php?
do you know that part of the dev language for blackberry 10 is C/C++? and that of android is java?

@zebudaya, you do not seem to be a developer because if you are, you would not have made this statement "they
need to learn server language"
what the heck is a "server language"?

people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WhiZTiM(m): 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
haha.... ..lol. @Zouga, zebudaya, javanian and ciphoenix...
I think Zebudaya is a quick-cash and a myopic *programmer or web guy. . .

@zouga, you seem to have a bit of Linus Torvald's attitude... ..ohh.

. . .anyway... Nobody should be disturbed... Wanting to make quick cash from programming is totally a bad idea. Also...

Whatever language you choose, you can use it to make solid impacts in its relevant domain... and in today's world...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by zebudaya(m): 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2013
lordZOUGA: I think the industry is moving towards a point where desktop apps and mobile apps are going to be one. that is the future.

which awesome mobile app was written in python and php?
do you know that part of the dev language for blackberry 10 is C/C++? and that of android is java?

@zebudaya, you do not seem to be a developer because if you are, you would not have made this statement "they
need to learn server language"
what the heck is a "server language"?

people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.

When I say server language, I mean server-side scripting language.

PHP (Like Facebook.com)
Python (like Nairaland.com)
Ruby (like shopify.com) framework (basecamp)

You know what I mean, you just want to pick. You can insult me all you want, and state that I am not a programmer, that's cool. Steve Jobs was not, Jeff Bezos from Amazon is not.

You said Blackberry 10 is written in C++. That's true, does one need to know C++ to write an app for Blackberry,Android, or IOS?

Desktop software is dying. They are going to be one with the mobile and web apps, Learn fast or be a dinosaur.

lordZOUGA: people like you are threats to Nigerian IT space. go and get experience before making this kind of post on an online forum.

be advised.

I'm a threat to the establishment who refuse to go with the times and insist on doing the same thing over and over again. Nigeria's IT space is weak, yet we are highly educated.

WhiZTiM: haha.... ..lol. @Zouga, zebudaya, javanian and ciphoenix...
I think Zebudaya is a quick-cash and a myopic *programmer or web guy. . .

@zouga, ... Wanting to make quick cash from programming is totally a bad idea. Also...

Whatever language you choose, you can use it to make solid impacts in its relevant domain... and in today's world...

Why study C++ and be chained to a salary your whole life? Learn something else and make entrepreneur money. The time for being a starving artist/broke programmmer is over. C++ is powerful, but it has weaknesses. That you don't really use it in writing web and mobile apps is a major flaw.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/417816/how-popular-is-c-for-making-websites-web-applications

Regardless programmers please post a link to your work, The time for making noise on Nairaland is over.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by expertfingers(m): 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
lordZOUGA:

Do you know any IT firm in Nigeria actively developing apps with
c/c++?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 9:35pm On Mar 09, 2013
@Zebudaya lets continue our discussion here https://www.nairaland.com/1220441/what-opinions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by zebudaya(m): 8:47am On Mar 11, 2013
I don't know why the moderator hid my posts? Isn't it a free speech forum?

Anyways this is a helpful infographic for anyone who wants to learn programming. https://www.udemy.com/blog/modern-language-wars/
You will have to scroll down a little, then click to launch the infographic.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 9:39am On Mar 11, 2013
zebudaya: I don't know why the moderator hid my posts? Isn't it a free speech forum?

Anyways this is a helpful infographic for anyone who wants to learn programming. https://www.udemy.com/blog/modern-language-wars/
You will have to scroll down a little, then click to launch the infographic.

Yes, it is a free speech forum but this isn't a free speech thread. It is a thread to help BEGINNERS choose a programming language and not a thread to start a language war and get them confused, and thats why i created a special thread for your arguements. Feel free to start as many thread and express your views but no this one..,

Thanks for your understanding...

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by zebudaya(m): 10:02am On Mar 11, 2013
There is no understanding. You censored me because you did not like what I had to say. The right thing to do, is to show my posts, and let the potential programming newbie judge for themselves. They are old enough to decide for themselves, and do not need you to hold their hand or give them the impression that there is only one path.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:12am On Mar 11, 2013
Look i have no problem with you i welcome your contributions. If you want to suggest Ruby, Python and PHP i have no problem with that. Just write a small article on them telling the newbies what they can acheive with these languages. DONT tell them to turn down any other language because you would be confusing them, let them make their choice. The moment you speak against any language you will turn this thread to a language war and i wont allow that....

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by samsolite(m): 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
I've been learning Python for some months, and having gone through some introductory books, I'd say I've grasped the basis of programming and the Python language.
Now it seems I'm stuck at the beginner level as what I've accomplished are just the simple textbooks exercises.

I need advice and direction, like a career development plan, on what it takes to be a software developer. Where do I go from here?
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 1:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
Build something with it so you can appreciate what you have learnt
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by javadoctor(m): 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2013
Welldone ,nice job,
Please can i change ur perception of null pointer? I'm java developer,can we hv a java coffee on dat? Feel free to cal any of my java lines.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by coolsamie0(m): 8:57am On Mar 13, 2013
Abeg! I need help, i want to do apprenticeship with one of you gurus. I'm presently a corp member dat will be passing out in june and i know almost nothing. I don't have a laptop and i know nothing. Pls i need someone to bring me up from scratch. I'll love to meet someone who will help me (One-on-One) My e-mail is samcorp2010@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cmespeak: 9:14am On Mar 15, 2013
coolsamie0: Abeg! I need help, i want to do apprenticeship with one of you gurus. I'm presently a corp member dat will be passing out in june and i know almost nothing. I don't have a laptop and i know nothing. Pls i need someone to bring me up from scratch. I'll love to meet someone who will help me (One-on-One) My e-mail is samcorp2010@gmail.com. Thanks

Start with getting a laptop[try save and get one],then u download free ebooks on programming languages[ask google, u have to show yr enthusiasm before sme1 will be willing to assist u,most guys here learn't on there own,u could do that yrself but if u can't, [u never know unless u try] get the basics first.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Joezik(m): 4:09pm On Mar 19, 2013
Question please
Can visual studio ultimate 2010 be used for java programming?
IF NO
I am confused about what jdk to download. A direct link could help guyz.
Javain Help Me out here, I'm a Beginner
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 5:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
google jdk
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 9:06pm On Mar 19, 2013
Joezik: Question please
Can visual studio ultimate 2010 be used for java programming?
IF NO
I am confused about what jdk to download. A direct link could help guyz.
Javain Help Me out here, I'm a Beginner

Visual Studio isn't used for Java to the best of my knowledge

Download JDK Here

If you need and IDE like visual studio for Java, download Netbeans Here

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by eckman: 12:07pm On Mar 21, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (165) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.