Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,394 members, 7,781,132 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:30 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (655540 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 9:41pm On Mar 22, 2013
I still dont know which language I should learn. I'm so addicted to computers being a graduate without any knowledge of programming. House, pls help!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by authurowen(m): 9:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
Start with Visual Basic.
Its not commonly used these days but it will give you more insight into how programming really works.
Then move onto java.

The best way to improve in programming is to practice. Think of a solution and try implement on your own ... you will learn faster.

I can give you more guide if you're really interested. I have approx. 6 years of exposure in Software Engineering

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 10:29pm On Mar 22, 2013
ermmm. guide please
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 11:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
authurowen: Start with Visual Basic.
Its not commonly used these days but it will give you more insight into how programming really works.
Then move onto java.

The best way to improve in programming is to practice. Think of a solution and try implement on your own .........
I AM DEAD INTERESTED PLEASE!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 1:05am On Mar 24, 2013
Which post dem dey hide ni?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by authurowen(m): 6:05am On Mar 25, 2013
Microsoft's Visual Basic Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners would be a good place to start. (http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Basic-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners)

Sams' teach your self visual basic in 24 hrs is another good book. http://www.informit.com/library/library.aspx?b=STY_VB6_24hours
If you successfully work with the Sams' book, you should be able to write a visual basic application up to an intermediate level.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 10:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
authurowen: Microsoft's Visual Basic Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners would be a good place to start. (http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Basic-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners)

Sams' teach your self visual basic in 24 hrs is another good book. http://www.informit.com/library/library.aspx?b=STY_VB6_24hours
If you successfully work with the Sams' book, you should be able to write a visual basic application up to an intermediate level.

Thanks boss! I'll begin after Easter!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Startechng: 8:22am On Mar 28, 2013
Please my dear prof's in this room, am planing on learning programming but am confused nd i dont know the one language that has it all... I mean one language that i can learn and be able to programme virtually all kinds of applications from destop, to mobile and web applications... I want to be able to programme applications from scratch...
Please which language is good for me?

Thanks in advance...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 9:01am On Mar 28, 2013
Startechng: Please my dear prof's in this room, am planing on learning programming but am confused nd i dont know the one language that has it all... I mean one language that i can learn and be able to programme virtually all kinds of applications from destop, to mobile and web applications... I want to be able to programme applications from scratch...
Please which language is good for me?

Thanks in advance...

I was told to start with Visual Basic, then move to JAVA
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
WhiZTiM:
...That's odd.... Try http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads
what happened to the simple dev c++
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 3:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
you can suggest that as well
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 29, 2013
ok as 4 me, i feel am coring more into c++ for general programming and python for whatever web development...
This is the link 2 one of the python ebook i downloaded incase u need it http://it-ebooks.info/book/1688/
http://it-ebooks.info/book/1104/

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 4:56am On Apr 01, 2013
Just my own two cents: the programming I was taught in University was crap. Beautifully packaged crap, but crap nonetheless. So I went online in search of tutorials to augment replace my curriculum. Anyway, long sermon short, Bucky saved my behind, and taught me so much more. A WHOLE LOT MORE!

www.thenewboston.com

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by halogen02: 3:12am On Apr 02, 2013
God bless you Javanian! You just lifted a burden off me in terms of how to begin or probably where to start. Presently I want to be a programmer and all I know at the moment is just how to check/receive mails, desktop publishing, that's all! I thought of going to NIIT at Ikeja but their money is very high for someone like me to afford, Pls can you take me on this with little money? In other words,can I be an apprentice in your firm? Pls kindly mail me here: showtuneisland@yahoo.com
To be honest brov, I got a new exercise book to forme a note yesterday night,thanks once again!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Hellustic(m): 12:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
Hello
pls i have not knowledge of computer programming... i can only write strings and querries in MS access..
i want to learn ASP.NET
where do i go to and can someone tell me what the cost is like and the duration.. im working class so its only a saturday thing...
thank you
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by redrumz(m): 12:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
Hi Guys

Learning a language should be the least of your worries

What is key is understanding Basic Computer Algorithms and Data Structures this entails learning how to implement Array, LinkedList , tree, priority queues, stacks , queues , sorting algorithm , binary trees understanding the Big O notations the list goes on and when you understand this basic Computer Algorithms and Data structures then it can be easy for you to specialize in any Language of choice

Plus do exercises on this concepts . practice alot

Books;

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Algorithms-Thomas-H-Cormen/dp/0262033844

Very good book. you should have one on your shelf smiley

after mastering this basic concept learning any language will be easy..

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 9:32am On Apr 04, 2013
can someone redirect this joke?

MOD
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by alexandra141: 5:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
i see someone talking about python, python is an old language which is not appreciated among the likes of C++,C# and java. please try to learn this language

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 6:46pm On Apr 04, 2013
Old you say
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 10:43pm On Apr 04, 2013
authurowen: Microsoft's Visual Basic Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners would be a good place to start. (http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Basic-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners)

which version of visual basic should i start with?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WhiZTiM(m): 2:48am On Apr 05, 2013
Quite a while. . .

This caught my exception. . .
alexandra141: i see someone talking about python, python is an old language which is not appreciated among the likes of C++,C# and java. please try to learn this language
Sir,
IF its TRUE that (you have NEVER participated in a Compiler OR Interpreter OR Assembler implementation), THEN <you are at NO disposition to dish out ANY programming language.>
ELSE
<Just talk about your experience WITH RESPECT TO the software you were/wanted to use it for ... probably in another thread
OR
...make chauvinistic statements, BUT with verifiable reasons>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by redrumz(m): 9:55am On Apr 05, 2013
alexandra141: i see someone talking about python, python is an old language which is not appreciated among the likes of C++,C# and java. please try to learn this language
Dude i don't know what you're saying python is a very powerful language. Python gives you best of both worlds OO and functional programming.. and for a security professional a very good language to write POC and script for pen-testing

Look up Django framework or Web2py to get a more rich feel of python in case you didn't know that b4

cheers amigo
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 06, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Unkl(m): 3:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Between programming and networking, which is advisable for a beginer?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by OmichaelO: 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
what language is required to learn ethical hacking. And material reference will be appreciated
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
OMG! WTF is up with noobs and hacking? Like seriously, not cool.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 12:23am On Apr 09, 2013
too many movies i think
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 7:25pm On Apr 09, 2013
whats the besr laptops to use for programming apart from apple considering the price? embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.