Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,516 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:59 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (655564 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 12:53pm On Apr 30, 2013
kobikwelu: As per the above topic...i would say there is no silver bullet to this issue.
The key being the field of programming is very wide...and at best one can learn any language at a time..its all about determination.....and most importantly, practice...

My first introduction to programming was c++..did a couple of practice questions on the DOS screen, but after a while became bored and bailed...

Fast forward years later..i got introduced to visual-basic and the next year was ushered into advanced c#....

I opted out of java classes to learn the language on my own!! and i have never looked back..

My suggestion is to learn some c++....to grasp the initial OOPs concepts then you can progress to java or C#......

When i was about graduating, the fellow who was an agent told me....The JAVA field is easy for foreigners..(Indians and others), but C# is saturated with the locals (In this case them being Americans)...i decided to stick with Java and i must say...IT was an excellent choice..
The language (Java) is popular and this helps with beginners as there will be no shortage of resources to learn and practice from.

My advice, take advantage of the many video tutorials that are out there....

To be an all around programmer..these are the select languages you should have some basic understanding of

Sql-sql or some variations of it i.e T-SQL, PL/SQL, HQL (Hibernate queried language)
Middle-tier---JAVA/C# (More than 90% of programs run on either one of these)
Front-end - HTML, Ajax ...JavaScript, Flex. (My worst of all the tiers..this should be left to graphic designers, but these days, Hiring managers are deceptively cramping this into requirements for Developers...NOT FAIR cry)

LASTLY some scripting (Powershell)...

No one says you have to be a guru in all these languages simultaneously..but for you to build a working app, some basic knowledge of all these would help you navigate through the maze and also help you understand integration issues in a distributed environment.

For those who are interested in some Java, indicate and i would be more than happy to do some mentoring....

thanks a lot for your lay down and precisely adequate comment, I was learning Java like early last year, Buh dropped cos I saw it as complex and difficult because of the syntax, Buh guess what, I began just a few weeks ago, and I already have an app grin
kobikwelu: As per the above topic...i would say there is no silver bullet to this issue.
The key being the field of programming is very wide...and at best one can learn any language at a time..its all about determination.....and most importantly, practice...

My first introduction to programming was c++..did a couple of practice questions on the DOS screen, but after a while became bored and bailed...

Fast forward years later..i got introduced to visual-basic and the next year was ushered into advanced c#....

I opted out of java classes to learn the language on my own!! and i have never looked back..

My suggestion is to learn some c++....to grasp the initial OOPs concepts then you can progress to java or C#......

When i was about graduating, the fellow who was an agent told me....The JAVA field is easy for foreigners..(Indians and others), but C# is saturated with the locals (In this case them being Americans)...i decided to stick with Java and i must say...IT was an excellent choice..
The language (Java) is popular and this helps with beginners as there will be no shortage of resources to learn and practice from.

To be an all around programmer..these are the select languages you should have some basic understanding of

Sql-sql or some variations of it i.e T-SQL, PL/SQL, HQL (Hibernate queried language)
Front-end - HTML, Ajax ...JavaScript, Flex. (My worst of all the tiers..this should be left to graphic designers, but these days, Hiring managers are deceptively cramping this into requirements for Developers...NOT FAIR cry)

No one says you have to be a guru in all these languages simultaneously..but for you to build a working app, some basic knowledge of all these would help you navigate through the maze and also help you understand integration issues in a distributed environment.

For those who are interested in some Java, indicate and i would be more than happy to do some mentoring....

thanks a lot for your lay down and precisely adequate comment, I was learning Java like early last year, Buh dropped cos I saw it as complex and difficult because of the syntax, Buh guess what, I began just a few weeks ago, and I already have an app, one that calculates gpa for my department. I'm having problems understanding Java oop though.if you have any resource that would help me understand the Java oop, I'll appreciate. thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kobikwelu(m): 4:36pm On Apr 30, 2013
^^^^^^

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/java_basic_syntax.htm

The above link contains the core-java concepts which you should master......

also check out
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/

this is the home page of the website which contains almost all programming languages....

Since you have started on java, practice as much as possible and then next will be SQL.....and after you can progress to J2EE (CAVEAT: J2EE concepts are advanced and should be only learnt if you want to earn a living from JAVA)

And as per you GPA app, i think you meant "GPA program" lol...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2013
kobikwelu: ^^^^^^

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/java_basic_syntax.htm

The above link contains the core-java concepts which you should master......

also check out
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/

this is the home page of the website which contains almost all programming languages....

Since you have started on java, practice as much as possible and then next will be SQL.....and after you can progress to J2EE (CAVEAT: J2EE concepts are advanced and should be only learnt if you want to earn a living from JAVA)

And as per you GPA app, i think you meant "GPA program" lol...
Yup thanks for the correction, it's a program ......I'll check the site out, thanks a lot
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ojtoluene: 5:43pm On May 06, 2013
undecided please guys I'm sorry. I will like to ask if there is anyone that knows where I can download the software to any of the programming listed above
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 6:01pm On May 06, 2013
ojtoluene: undecided please guys I'm sorry. I will like to ask if there is anyone that knows where I can download the software to any of the programming listed above
what kinda a of software? to learn programming or for compiling the source code
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 12:52am On May 07, 2013
Please fellow programmers, how does one go about this Java oop, seriously, I'm down with the step by step procedural method of programming in Java, buh as soon as I delved into oop part of Java, everything started going vague and the books started sounding gibberish and incoherent, literally though! I'm learning Java myself, so if anyone could help out on me straightening my part and settling my differences with Java oop, I'll be grateful.....worthy of note though, that Java is my first programming language
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 1:13am On May 07, 2013
Please, so as not to be misquoted/misjudged, I've read articles on oop, and gotten most of the basic /key concepts, buh my problem lies in using this concepts, eg creating new objects like account savings = new account (); or declaring methods eg say I have a class with
public void accDisplay(){
System.out.printing("display acc"wink;
}
and having sumfin like savings.accDisplay();
I know what that does, buh in instances where I see values inside the "()" and stuffs like "return", it goes jittery...... hope someone helps me clear this oop issues, thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by TalkIsCheap: 6:33pm On May 07, 2013
Please nairalanders, I need a tutorial on ADOBE as it concern video editing. Tanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ojtoluene: 10:06pm On May 07, 2013
what kinda a of software? to learn
programming or for compiling the source
code......... I mean the compiler
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ojtoluene: 10:09pm On May 07, 2013
what kinda a of software? to learn
programming or for compiling the source
code...... I don't understand what you mean. what I think is that all this vb, c++ must have a software
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kobikwelu(m): 1:38am On May 08, 2013
@DarkPoet
a quick treatise

Class dog{
public String makeNoise(String message){
return message;

}
Class cat{
return message;

}
}

Class AnimalNoises{

Dog newDog =new Dog();
newDog.makeNoise( "Woof woof" );

or

Cat newCat=new Cat();
newCat.makeNoise( "Meow meow" );

when you print both the results of the makeNoise methods, you'll have

Woof woof
Meow Meow

}

A typical method is of the format-------- <Access> <Return TYPE> <methodname> <Arguments>

where
<Access> signifies how visible it would be to other classes (public, private, protected etc)
<Return type> this tells you in what "format" the method would return its message. When this is void, it means that there would be no returned value, but typical returned values are String, int, float, decimal etc
<methodname> this is the name of the method..any name can do
<Arguements> in parenethesis usually contains values that you would want to pass into the method usually a String, integer etc .

Take the methods (makenoise)in the example above... you have the signature thus: Public String makenoise(String message) and then in the body you have a return ...The return mandates that whenever the method is called, it must return a message.

and when the method is called in the Animal class (newDog.makeNoise and newCat.makeNoise)...you can see that the values in the bracket are Strings... this is returned also ...hence when you print the methods, the return the value of the String you passed in.

Thats all for now...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 11:48pm On May 08, 2013
kobikwelu: @DarkPoet
a quick treatise

Class dog{
return message;

}
Class cat{
return message;

}
}

Class AnimalNoises{

Dog newDog =new Dog();
newDog.makeNoise( "Woof woof" );

or

Cat newCat=new Cat();
newCat.makeNoise( "Meow meow" );

when you print both the results of the makeNoise methods, you'll have

Woof woof
Meow Meow

}

A typical method is of the format-------- <Access> <Return TYPE> <methodname> <Arguments>

where
<Access> signifies how visible it would be to other classes (public, private, protected etc)
<Return type> this tells you in what "format" the method would return its message. When this is void, it means that there would be no returned value, but typical returned values are String, int, float, decimal etc
<methodname> this is the name of the method..any name can do
<Arguements> in parenethesis usually contains values that you would want to pass into the method usually a String, integer etc .

Take the methods (makenoise)in the example above... you have the signature thus: Public String makenoise(String message) and then in the body you have a return ...The return mandates that whenever the method is called, it must return a message.

and when the method is called in the Animal class (newDog.makeNoise and newCat.makeNoise)...you can see that the values in the bracket are Strings... this is returned also ...hence when you print the methods, the return the value of the String you passed in.

Thats all for now...

thanks a lot kobikwelu, I really appreciate.... thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 10:37am On May 11, 2013
Javanian: I will try as much as possible to make this article as simple as possible

BRANCHES OF PROGRAMMING

1. Embedded Systems

2. Desktop applications

3. Web Applications

4. Mobile Applications

5. Console applications
please which one can be done by java cuz i'n abt to gointo java traing
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by twicenoni(m): 10:44pm On May 11, 2013
pls i want to learn programming and want to start with java language. so which ebook do i need first?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 11:26am On May 12, 2013
it-ebooks.info search for "Head First Java"
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 12, 2013
I heard learning programming between age 25-30 is waste of time because people at that age cant grasp these launguage mentally as their brains are wreak lol... So anybody close to 30 cant learn programming? My friend is interested but this is what he said he heard.

He is reading this . So guys, whats your take?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 5:55pm On May 12, 2013
2s£xy:
I heard learning programming between age 25-30 is waste of time because people at that age cant grasp these launguage mentally as their brains are wreak lol... So anybody close to 30 cant learn programming? My friend is interested but this is what he said he heard.

Thats a lie, but programning requires alot of time and he MAY not have that at his age.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 12, 2013
What if he dedicates one year intensive reading and practising?
Javanian:

Thats a lie, but programning requires alot of time and he MAY not have that at his age.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 8:07pm On May 12, 2013
2s£xy:
What if he dedicates one year intensive reading and practising?

That would really help

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by talk2hb1(m): 10:32pm On May 12, 2013
2s£xy:

Age is an excuse William Haskell Alsup at learn Java program at the age of 67, William Haskell Alsup is the judge behind the Oracle vs Google Java, Android patent case. So what is your friend excuse for not learning to program at the age of 30+.
References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Alsup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_v._Google
http://news.cnet.com/2702-1001_3-1507.html
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 12, 2013
Thanks bro... Thanks so much for the motivation...
talk2hb1:
Age is an excuse William Haskell Alsup at learn Java program at the age of 67, William Haskell Alsup is the judge behind the Oracle vs Google Java, Android patent case. So what is your friend excuse for not learning to program at the age of 30+.
References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Alsup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_v._Google
http://news.cnet.com/2702-1001_3-1507.html
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 8:23pm On May 13, 2013
Javanian:

that's a gr8 lie everything in this life depend on individual interest, if u 've interest in smthing, u'll be like a wizard un it.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by loyaltyforever: 12:39am On May 14, 2013

Sure I am really interested in JAVA
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 9:49am On May 14, 2013
Javanian: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS

An embedded system is a multi-agent system and computer system designed for specific control functions within a larger system, often with real-time computing constraints.It is embedded as part of a complete device often including hardware and mechanical parts. By contrast, a general-purpose computer, such as a personal computer (PC), is designed to be flexible and to meet a wide range of end-user needs. Embedded systems control many devices in common use today examples of devices with embedded systems are telephone switches, mobile phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), mp3 players, mobile phones, videogame consoles, digital cameras, DVD players, GPS, brushless DC motors, induction motors and DC motors.Embedded systems contain processing cores that are either microcontrollers or digital signal processors (DSP).

I don't know too much about embedded systems but i know embedded systems are created mainly with C and Assembly Language. I will come to programming languages later.

Read more from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system
please if i'm reading e-books do you think i'll good or what should i do
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 9:51am On May 14, 2013
[quote author=loyaltyforever][/quote]please i'm very much interested in using java, csn u please lead me, cuz i'm new to it
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LordRahl001: 8:57pm On May 14, 2013
bigdot1759: please which one can be done by java cuz i'n abt to gointo java traing
java can do almost everything. d ony ones I avnt tried ia embedded systems with java! others java should do perfectly tho with some mods!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 6:11am On May 15, 2013
I am loving this...

Passion- check

Desire- Check

Goal(long Term)- check

Purpose (To develop my own apps and software for domaining)-Check

Language to learn: Python and Java, Python first.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 10:30am On May 15, 2013
p.josh:
Am new to programming and planning on learning vb.net. Is it okay for a beginner to start with vb.net.
Please don't ignore
please what's the differences btw visual basic & visual studio?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 10:35am On May 15, 2013
2s£xy:
I am loving this...

Passion- check

Desire- Check

Goal(long Term)- check

Purpose (To develop my own apps and software for domaining)-Check

Language to learn: Python and Java, Python first.
please how can i learn this python
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 10:51am On May 15, 2013
I wanted to refer you to codeacademy...

But this will be better===> http://it-ebooks.info/book/373/

you may still visit codeacademy.com to get an idea though.
bigdot1759: please how can i learn this python

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.