Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658979 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by anetuno(m): 8:17pm On May 19, 2015
pjosh1:
Am new to programming and planning on learning vb.net. Is it okay for a beginner to start with vb.net.
Please don't ignore
If you really want to get a general grasp of programming, start with JavaScript. All you will need is your web browser and a good note editor.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by anetuno(m): 8:25pm On May 19, 2015
Javanian:
WEB APPLICATION

A web application is an application that is accessed by users over a network such as the Internet or an intranet. examples of web applications are Facebook, yahoomail, gmail, Nairaland etc. Web applications are also created with a range of programming languages like PHP, Python, JSP/Servlets, ASP, ASP.NET, Ruby etc
A web application is an application that runs on a web browser. This is the best definition. You also omitted the most widely used scripting language for creating web applications--JavaScript.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Krestkross: 8:28pm On May 19, 2015
Pls how do programing come in to web design, do yo attach the programing codes to your HTML codes, or you do the programming separately and later link them? The question is, I can't Rilly get this back end programing concept.. Can somebody pls explain to me?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:40am On May 23, 2015
Good morning gurus in the house,

I am a beginner in Java programming. I have been having difficulty displaying a pyramid that will look like this:

1 2 1
1 2 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

This is a program i wrote:

public class Displayingpattern2 {
public static void main(String[] args) {
for (int i = 1; i <= 128; i = i * 2){
for (int s = 8; s >= i; s--){
System.out.print(" "wink;
}
for (int j = 1; j <= i; j = j * 2){
System.out.print(j + " "wink;
}
for (int k = i / 2; k >= 1; k = k/2){
System.out.print(" " + k);
}
System.out.println();
}
}

}

Output:

1 2 1
1 2 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

Please help me with how I can display the expected white spaces.

Thank you all!

Apologies, Nairaland is modifying the formatting
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by xtremrules(m): 4:36pm On May 24, 2015
Krestkross:
Pls how do programing come in to web design, do yo attach the programing codes to your HTML codes, or you do the programming separately and later link them? The question is, I can't Rilly get this back end programing concept.. Can somebody pls explain to me?
It depends on the language in use. In Php you could mix both together i.e Php and HTML.
In ASP.NET MVC you write VB.NET or C# classes that inherite from a class called Controller although you could have other classes not inheriting from the Controller class that help you in development like database connection, data creation etc. Then a HTML like file cshtml if using C# or vbhtml if VB.NET that could have little or no .NET codes for logic and presentation. This file is processed by Razor view engine and returns HTML file to the browser with no .NET code. Just HTML, CSS, JavaScript as the case maybe.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by xtremrules(m): 10:40pm On May 24, 2015
Krestkross:
In summary, if you visit a asp.net MVC website, you're actually making calls to methods defined in you Controller class which returns a View result which bears the HTML.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by wisemania(m): 4:00am On May 25, 2015
anetuno:
If you really want to get a general grasp of programming, start with JavaScript. All you will need is your web browser and a good note editor.
starting with JS only makes one a lazy programmer...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by wisemania(m): 4:18am On May 25, 2015
bussieboi:
in a bid to further more learn c++ am looking out for good books that I can easily see on nigerian bookshop shelves. Pls recommend any book dat can be easily accessed
To be frank with you, the latest books on programming are difficult to find in Nigeria bookshops.Just go online,search for the book, download it and probably locate a printer and print it out.
my 0.02$

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by wisemania(m): 4:21am On May 25, 2015
bussieboi:
in a bid to further more learn c++ am looking out for good books that I can easily see on nigerian bookshop shelves. Pls recommend any book dat can be easily accessed

thinking in c++, volume one and two.
c++ primer plus( sixth edition)

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by rayval(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2015
I receive tables daily with same column_names,last_names nd first_names and sometimes new names re added to new tables.I receive this table in excel.These tables contains upto > 1 thousand information..I want to create a database using Oracle 11g for this tables..the facts that this tables comes in daily makes me confuse. How do I manage this multiple tables?**to enable me write my queries...do I create tables everyday ie by jst importing the excel file into sql developer**what do I do?...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by TRADELYN: 6:38pm On May 26, 2015
Dear OP,

Keep the good work going.

We need the service of an expert in this field to aid some research projects in computer science.

Anyone interested should contact us.

Regard!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by joedrae(m): 11:09pm On May 27, 2015
Competent SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS Needed For 4 - 12 Months

https://www.nairaland.com/2341113/competent-software-developers-needed-4
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 29, 2015
There is an app called little drop which will understand more easily download it on Google play store .It is for novice and expert .The app focus on many programing language it is worth a try .
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kelly008(f): 7:31pm On May 30, 2015
I thing you should starts learning programming from C language.
If you want to learn [url=howtocode.pk]how to code[/url] a website than first learn HTML and CSS.
After this learn JavaScript and then go for server side language like PHP or ASP.Net etc.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by skypeople(f): 8:42pm On May 31, 2015
Hey guyzz,. Am about to distract you, forgive me in advance.

Do yu guyz participate in any activities goin on in other sections at all Chaiiii.

Everytime i barge in here its always one code or the other. Welldone oooo.

Anyways am here to bring to yur awareness the mr na1raland coming up soon. Kindly support scentmarlc.

Thank yu.

**oya make una continuu with yah html music** runs out of thread
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by scentmarlc(m): 10:44pm On May 31, 2015
skypeople:
Hey guyzz,. Am about to distract you, forgive me in advance.

Do yu guyz participate in any activities goin on in other sections at all Chaiiii.

Everytime i barge in here its always one code or the other. Welldone oooo.

Anyways am here to bring to yur awareness the mr na1raland coming up soon. Kindly support scentmarlc.

Thank yu.

**oya make una continuu with yah html music** runs out of thread
always having my back, thanks girl.

*abeg brozzz, help your man ooo. **thanks abunch for your time
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 12:16pm On Jun 01, 2015
TRADELYN:

Dear OP,

Keep the good work going.

We need the service of an expert in this field to aid some research projects in computer science.

Anyone interested should contact us.

Regard!

I'm interested, how do i contact you?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by TRADELYN: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2015
Javanian:

I'm interested, how do i contact you?

Send a mail to our email address.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ramos16(m): 12:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
some months back, i discovered but only the best book download site ever especially for programmers, i used to make use of it-ebooks.info, but they started having issues especially with their redirfct loops, then i discovered libgen.org, they have books that even one week old, they are the best as far as i am concerned
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by pulcherima: 2:25pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello, please I need advice on where to find a good internal audit software for download online.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Satindersingh1: 4:40pm On Jun 02, 2015
Javanian:
Due to the numerous "i want to start programming, which language should i start with" threads on this board i decided to create a thread that will address this issue. I am not a wonderful writer and i won't say i know it all but i will try. I urge every one on this board to correct me where i err an also contribute in whatever way you can to make this thread worth it. I will try as much as possible not to be biased in this write up.

I am not going to go into detail in defining what programming is because i will assume before entering this thread you should already know what programming is. But in summary programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and computer programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and a computer. You can read more from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming

Programmers could also be called software programmers, software developers and other big-big names you can think of.

Feel free to ask your questions, i will try and answer the ones i can my Ogas in the house will help me with those i can't answer

Please every Programmer should try as much as possible to check on this thread once in a while to help answer some questions Newbies would like to ask.

Programming depends what you like more i.e your interest some like gaming programming, mobile programming (WhatsApp,Vine,tinder), some like web programming (website like Twitter, Facebook :-)), some like embedded programming (creating High End device like Network Jammer, Camera Monitoring etc , RFID ,) and some like Window App.

You first you find out in which you interested more, and how you maths yes you heard right, in programming math is very important (the better your logics are clear, the better you understand Programming code)

If you don't find any interest or you don't want to do you interest, and you want to go by market, So choose the Market current HOT programming language.
Now a days Node.js,Angular.js,Backbone.js,Ember.js,Php,Python, ANDROID,IOS are in more demand.
By the way JAVA and .NET will be forever HOT in MARKET.

Here the role and their programming language :

Back-end/Server-side Programmer: Usually uses one of the following: Python, Ruby, PHP, Java or .Net. Has database knowledge. Possibly has some sysadmin knowledge.

Front-end/Client-side Programmer: HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Possibly has design skill.

Mobile Programmer: Objective-C or Java (for Android). HTML/CSS for mobile websites. Potentially has server-side knowledge.

3D Programmer/Game Programmer: C/C++, OpenGL, Animation. Possibly has good artistic skill.

High-Performance Programmer: C/C++, Java. May have background in mathematics or quantitative analysis.

I must say if you have interest in Web, then 1st learn Fron-End as its easy to learn and understand, then later go to Serverside

Useful Link For Front-end
http://www.w3schools.com/

For front-end and back-end do visit these sites it's good for beginner starter
1) http://codepedia.info/
2) [url]aspdotnet-suresh.com[/url]
3) www.aspsnippets.com/

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by beloxxi(m): 6:35pm On Jun 02, 2015

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by infinitycane: 1:32pm On Jun 03, 2015
please I have interest on programming. i studied marketing in The university. I am conversant with PC and devices ( No Phobia ) for technology. I want to start Learning how to programme and develop softwares on my own due to the speed the world is moving with ICT i need it in my discipline. I dont know anything about programming language ( ie am a zero). How do I start? should i enroll in a programming class in one of the institutions here. I want someone to tell me if i can be able to get there from zero knowledge about programming language. How do i start to make it easy and effective on me. I tried reading E-books but to a point it started sounding too technical for me. Am not a mathematician or an engineer but i have the interest please tell me how do i start and carry on. If you were like me before. tell me what your experience was like....... please somebody i want to improve on my career.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ramos16(m): 8:56am On Jun 04, 2015
infinitycane:
please I have interest on programming. i studied marketing in The university. I am conversant with PC and devices ( No Phobia ) for technology. I want to start Learning how to programme and develop softwares on my own due to the speed the world is moving with ICT i need it in my discipline. I dont know anything about programming language ( ie am a zero). How do I start? should i enroll in a programming class in one of the institutions here. I want someone to tell me if i can be able to get there from zero knowledge about programming language. How do i start to make it easy and effective on me. I tried reading E-books but to a point it started sounding too technical for me. Am not a mathematician or an engineer but i have the interest please tell me how do i start and carry on. If you were like me before. tell me what your experience was like....... please somebody i want to improve on my career.

You really don't need to enroll in any academy, but if you want to then you should be looking at a simple technology like c# or visual basic if you need speed, but if your apps must not be desktop, you should look at web technologies like HTML, css , JavaScript, and php, with these web techs you would start developing in no time

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by teewhydope(m): 7:28pm On Jun 04, 2015
please is it compulsory to know qbasic as a computer scientist.....i wasnt able to catch up during the 1st semester and if yes can someone link me to a site I can learn it easily bcoz google is not helping, i only know a little about it sad . thanks in adv
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by wisemania(m): 8:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
teewhydope:
please is it compulsory to know qbasic as a computer scientist.....i wasnt able to catch up during the 1st semester and if yes can someone link me to a site I can learn it easily bcoz google is not helping, i only know a little about it sad . thanks in adv
nay bro....Fortran and Matlab are indeed invaluable for a scientist...most especially Matlab...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by izutex007(m): 5:10am On Jun 06, 2015
hello nairalanders... pls am in urgent need of good materials on BASIC programming.

any form of help wl b apprec8td
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by megasamuel(m): 10:47pm On Jun 06, 2015
No offense but basic isn't really around anymore, c'mon I was thought basic in js2,maybe you should consider python you wouldn't even need to search
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Jesuspolice(m): 11:29pm On Jun 06, 2015
This is wonderful...i am beginner that is like getting confused. I try reading almost all post & comment but do not see on ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE.
(2). I av one time learn the basics of some languages like C# & FORTRAN but find it boring because i just could not see its usefulness in real world..just coding & coding
(3). am creating interest now for ASSEMBLY & C++ language cos i need them for embedded systems..but the compilers and tutorial materials i av makes it look ambiguous.
can someone please help me?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by tmann626(m): 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2015
please i want to learn programming
ciphoenix:
Read the thread from the beginning.
Decide on a language.
Get books and read up.
Start coding.

honestly i don't think you need another formal institution to learn programming considering you're already a CSC graduate smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.