Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,408 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658972 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 12, 2015
Jesuspolice:
This is wonderful...i am beginner that is like getting confused. I try reading almost all post & comment but do not see on ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE.
(2). I av one time learn the basics of some languages like C# & FORTRAN but find it boring because i just could not see its usefulness in real world..just coding & coding
(3). am creating interest now for ASSEMBLY & C++ language cos i need them for embedded systems..but the compilers and tutorial materials i av makes it look ambiguous.
can someone please help me?

I advice you connect to the outside world(youtube) for tutorials on every aspect of programming application.There is a saying that you won't be told everything.You will only be guided to find the secrets yourself...A code will only be boring to you if you don't know how to apply it to real life problems...Object orientation and instantiation is the basis of real life examples in programming..In java,you can convert a mathematical expression into a java source code to help you solve problems..You can use the scanner class to allow users input their queries in a calculator etc.You can use the import libraries in java,ticktock,loops,jpanel,button in java to create a game etc.Don't be in a rush.Go and learn the codes first before thinking of how to apply them in real life.

Most developers don't have time to help smn.They can only guide you but 80% of the work must come from you.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by xtremrules(m): 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
Jesuspolice:
This is wonderful...i am beginner that is like getting confused. I try reading almost all post & comment but do not see on ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE.
(2). I av one time learn the basics of some languages like C# & FORTRAN but find it boring because i just could not see its usefulness in real world..just coding & coding
(3). am creating interest now for ASSEMBLY & C++ language cos i need them for embedded systems..but the compilers and tutorial materials i av makes it look ambiguous.
can someone please help me?
with an exception of FORTRAN, I think you need to elaborate more on what you mean by C# has no real life usefulness. if you are using Windows, some of the applications you're running are probably write in any .NET Language which C# is one of. am currently developing a web application with C# for my project in school and where i did my IT, C# is used to develop must of their applications and web projects for clients and is doing the job quite well. will love to hear from you about this matter.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by JohnDoe2015: 10:55am On Jun 15, 2015
web development..
do you really want to learn web programmin?
if yes, I have the solution to your answer..
1. the truth is with the huge sum of money you are going to pay @NIIT, you won't still be fulfilled becos programing requires personal training and motivation.
2. truth, everyone says motivation, personal training but the place of a mentor can not be under estimated.. so to learn quick and fast, you also need a mentor
3. you also need programmers, people of like minds who want to learn same thing or doing same thing so you can share ideas while you both learn..
well you might think.

I know I have told you the truth in good faith, but I have a solution...
I am also a learner and have been into web for 2years now, I want to help you, help myself and others who r interested in a group of 5programmers where we will teach ourselves well, buy materials ourselves online and learn at a fast pace with losing huge sum of money to NIIT.
pls whatsapp me on 2349033863912.
note, am not collecting any money from you.
must reside in Lagos
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by clintwine(m): 1:59pm On Jun 15, 2015
I attached a file which might help you decide on what programming language you can start with

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by umaryusuf(m): 7:18am On Jun 16, 2015
What Is Programming And What Do Programmers Do? [Infographic]

Source: http://carlcheo.com/what-is-programming-what-do-programmers-do

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by RedEagle: 2:22pm On Jun 19, 2015
Simply go to http://www.codecademy.com/ they have packages for beginners and it is free.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kncokolo: 9:28am On Jun 23, 2015
I suggest checking out Stanford's Programming Methodology CS106A on YouTube. They teach in Java but it's a very good course and it will teach you the basics of programming. I started with that, moved onto Stanford's CS193P and 3 months later I am building my first iOS app. I'm actually vlogging about it daily on YouTube so you can check out my channel if you want to follow my progress. Here's day 1 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc00B8HXCwk

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by liricyst(m): 5:03pm On Jun 24, 2015
clintwine:
I attached a file which might help you decide on what programming language you can start with

very nice
following this infograph...it's either java or python for me. However, I wanna know what platforms python can be used for cos it seems java can run on most
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by umaryusuf(m): 7:34pm On Jun 24, 2015
liricyst:

very nice
following this infograph...it's either java or python for me. However, I wanna know what platforms python can be used for cos it seems java can run on most

The core Python language runs on all the major platforms.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by liricyst(m): 9:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
umaryusuf:

The core Python language runs on all the major platforms.

but according to the infograph...only java and c# are used on mobile platform
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by umaryusuf(m): 1:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
liricyst:

but according to the infograph...only java and c# are used on mobile platform

That doesn't mean other languages can't be used on mobile platform.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by oluwadotman(m): 7:42pm On Jun 27, 2015
I am a java programmer, I wonder y folks seperate java frm javacsript.
Javascript is primarily used for validation(forms embedded) while java is a programming language use 4 coding java applications.
Howeva, wht u wnt 2 major on as a programmer wil determine d type of language u wnt 2 learn.....so mk findings on wht u want e.g database adminstrator, core programmer(web based or stand alone) or hacker.
Mentioning hacking, folks myt wonda if its 4 a malicious intents buh der r diff hackers, d white hackers r d gud guys who proffer solutions 2 security threats wyl d black hackers causes havoc 2 internet security or firewalls.
Dunno if I've bin able 2 contribute a lil quota.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by opakay: 4:44pm On Jun 29, 2015
I think everybody should start with SQL. It is very easy and you will need it in all the languages you will learn later.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LORDDICE(m): 7:57am On Jun 30, 2015
I hve been following dis thread for a while now. Initially i was faintly intrested in programing bt as time went on, i fell in love,and now am in love. Pls...... All i ask of all ye humble and respected gurus is for a kindda mentor... Whatsapp 08132241957. Tnx in antisepation of seeing u on whatsapp ASAP.

Javanian,oluwadotman,umaryusuf,johndoe2015.etc.
* i deh hail...*

lorddice
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ewizard1: 12:02am On Jul 01, 2015
Hello all,
So i decided to take classes on Web Design and Development. I have gotten myself some few beginner tools like Sublime Text, Notepad++ etc. I have braced myself on PC and mobile (Ready to practice anywhere, anytime). I have HTTracked the entire W3 Schools grin grin grin
for offline reading and practice.

I hope the hread is very much active should one require support?

God Bless!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by oyebolasdk(m): 6:33am On Jul 08, 2015
just learning python and wow its great I am a first time programmer looking to start a career in app and Web Development, any advise from Guru's
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Netlouis: 5:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
Web design and development,script coding and web-security is something i have loved.
WHAT and WHAT programing language do i need to learn to b good in webdesign and development,script coding and web-security.

you can still drop the language to learn for web application and mobile application

thanks for eliting those of us that are confuse with this wonderful thread.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Netlouis: 5:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
Web design and development,script coding and web-security is something i have loved.
WHAT and WHAT programing language do i need to learn to b good in webdesign and development,script coding and web-security.

you can still drop the language to learn for web application and mobile application

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Netlouis: 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2015

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ejihand1(m): 10:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
hemor:

since u said u read statistics and math, d programming language u need for that is matlab
For health related proffessional like medical laboratory , what language can I go for?

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.