Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,948 members, 7,803,114 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658357 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by creamyworkz: 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2016
Some really good job you lots have done here, i like it when Nigerians come together to help ourselves, and i'll like to contribute my own quota.
For newbies still wondering what programming language to start with: to be honest no one can tell you what to start with. what rocks a man's boat may sink another man's ship. my advice is this: If you want to learn programming first, as yourself this questions
1) What do you hope to achieve with it?
i.e are you gonna be building websites? mobile apps? web apps? etc
2) If you are looking to work in the IT industry with the knowledge, check the companies you hope to work for and the programming languagies they request in the vacancies

Your answer lies somewhere in between those questions. and pls note most of these languages are very similar, knowledge of java will help in javascript, vb.net, c#, php and vice versa so when you know one, you can always learn others

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dreadlord: 3:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
creamyworkz:
Some really good job you lots have done here, i like it when Nigerians come together to help ourselves, and i'll like to contribute my own quota.
For newbies still wondering what programming language to start with: to be honest no one can tell you what to start with. what rocks a man's boat may sink another man's ship. my advice is this: If you want to learn programming first, as yourself this questions
1) What do you hope to achieve with it?
i.e are you gonna be building websites? mobile apps? web apps? etc
2) If you are looking to work in the IT industry with the knowledge, check the companies you hope to work for and the programming languagies they request in the vacancies

Your answer lies somewhere in between those questions. and pls note most of these languages are very similar, knowledge of java will help in javascript, vb.net, c#, php and vice versa so when you know one, you can always learn others

Good day, sorry to bother you, I want to know if it is worth it to learn desktop application development.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by creamyworkz: 5:58pm On Jun 05, 2016
Dreadlord:

Good day, sorry to bother you, I want to know if it is worth it to learn desktop application development.
Trust me bruva no knowledge is a waste, your inspiration is the main thing. before you learn anything programming it is advisable to have a reason for learning it. so thatcwhen you learn anything new in that language all that comes to your mind is how you can apply it in the project you have in mind. i've seen lots of people take java courses for example and at the end of it they say they dont know where to apply it. the motive behind learning it is very important in my own opinion

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dreadlord: 9:07pm On Jun 05, 2016
creamyworkz:

Trust me bruva no knowledge is a waste, your inspiration is the main thing. before you learn anything programming it is advisable to have a reason for learning it. so thatcwhen you learn anything new in that language all that comes to your mind is how you can apply it in the project you have in mind. i've seen lots of people take java courses for example and at the end of it they say they dont know where to apply it. the motive behind learning it is very important in my own opinion

Thank you.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Euroadams: 1:57am On Jun 11, 2016
Hmmm
[ quote author = tomakint post=46284545]@Javanian I am currently working on my HTML and CSS which I left few months back my challenge now is my laptop developed a fault which prevents me from continuing but I have my Ipad with a downloaded notepad on it for my programming codes however I find it difficult to use the safari browser to launch it just to see the progress of my work. Any help or suggestions?[/quote]

Pls my oga carry me along o
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 11, 2016
Javanian:
Due to the numerous "i want to start programming, which language should i start with" threads on this board i decided to create a thread that will address this issue. I am not a wonderful writer and i won't say i know it all but i will try. I urge every one on this board to correct me where i err an also contribute in whatever way you can to make this thread worth it. I will try as much as possible not to be biased in this write up.

I am not going to go into detail in defining what programming is because i will assume before entering this thread you should already know what programming is. But in summary programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and computer programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and a computer. You can read more from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming

Programmers could also be called software programmers, software developers and other big-big names you can think of.

Feel free to ask your questions, i will try and answer the ones i can my Ogas in the house will help me with those i can't answer

Please every Programmer should try as much as possible to check on this thread once in a while to help answer some questions Newbies would like to ask.
i get banned and my post gets removed anytime i create a post,and i wasnt breaking any rule. ive mailed you guys several times but you dont reply. why? cry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by PharmAlfred: 8:55am On Jun 12, 2016
It is just so nice to stumble on this thread.
FYI, I am a newbie with no prior knowledge of any programming languages.
I want to learn to create mobile and web applications.
Which language should I learn and what duration would it take me to learn it, if I give it all the commitment required?

I would appreciate your kind response.This is a great community.
Thank you
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by webdevgod: 7:27am On Jun 13, 2016
The type of programming language depends on which field you want to enter:

Web development (Php, Javascript)
App development ( For Android - Java, C++; For IOS - Objective C)
Software / Games development (Java, C++, C,C#, Visual Basic )

So ideally, you need to know which field you want to enter so you dont end up wasting your time.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Collinz2(m): 11:10am On Jun 14, 2016
Java is not hard indeed but some topics is confusing and easy.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by D34lw4p(m): 11:45pm On Jun 14, 2016
Alert: Want to learn everything about Google Adsense? clickHere Now! [b]Alert: Want free Adsense tips and tricks? Click Here Now!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by stack1(m): 11:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
Uhm, not to be off topic, but i thought i should bring it to everyones notice about a new social platform created by a Nigerian that really rivals the big boys in a lot of features... need i say more, head over to www.greenhouze.xyz

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
To be honest I have been following this trend but I haven't drop any comments but today I say no to mah self. Here is my palaver can I programme with mah blackberry Q10 please if you knw any application that can enable me to do little programming pls do help.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Alexyswiss(m): 9:10pm On Jun 18, 2016
scoutlebest4:
To be honest I have been following this trend but I haven't drop any comments but today I say no to mah self. Here is my palaver can I programme with mah blackberry Q10 please if you knw any application that can enable me to do little programming pls do help.
lol...yeah man...you can

download a text editor...start with learning HTML
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Alexyswiss(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
scoutlebest4:

yeah man...you can....get a text editor...start with learning HTML...you can get lots of PDF files on it for beginners....Google is your friend
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by stack1(m): 9:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
scoutlebest4:

Lol
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
NLjona:

i actually learning python as a newbie.. can it be used to create mobile applications?
Somehow. But Java Is Ideal
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
scoutlebest4:
scoutlebest4:
Does Q10 Support Android Apps??
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by NLjona(m): 4:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
Somehow. But Java Is Ideal
I'm currently learning python.. hope its still 'ideal'
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:42pm On Jun 20, 2016
NLjona:

Yea! Don't Get Discourage. At The Beginning Of Ur Tutorial, I Believe U Saw "Python Is A General-purpose Language".

Am Also Learning Python, I Wanna Create A Django Website.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by NLjona(m): 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
Yea! Don't Get Discourage. At The Beginning Of Ur Tutorial, I Believe U Saw "Python Is A General-purpose Language".

Am Also Learning Python, I Wanna Create A Django Website.

yeah exacrly... so python can also be used to create apps I suppose. ill learn others after python
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by PaulErungworo: 7:19am On Jun 21, 2016
@op and any other programmer in the house, pls help me with these questions...

1. Write an assembly code program for the 6502 or Z80 microprocessor to calculate the sum and the difference of the two numbers stored at Cooo16 and Coo16 and store the result at Booo16 (sum) and Boo16 (difference)
2. In a Z80 processor what is the use of HL? If the content of H register is DI16 and the L register is FE16, what would be the result of the instruction ADD A, (HL)
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mexzony: 8:46am On Jun 21, 2016
NLjona:

Python is a very good language to start with.
You are on the right track. Just make sure you learn all the programming concepts well.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Mrluv(m): 9:46am On Jun 21, 2016
can i learnt programing without pc cus i stil looking for moni to get one i only own tecno f5 android phone for now
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sammymoney(m): 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2016
i started with c++, then python...now in java... smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by francollimasso: 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2016
went for a software developer interview, all the question asked was on python and js. but am into c#(.net developer). pls advice me, should I dive into python? professional advice
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by noordean(m): 7:08pm On Jun 23, 2016
francollimasso:
went for a software developer interview, all the question asked was on python and js. but am into c#(.net developer). pls advice me, should I dive into python? professional advice
They didn't go through ur CV before calling u? I expect them to have noticed that before calling u
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Thecarisma(m): 9:55pm On Jun 23, 2016
ibnquasale:

Send you number to me so I can add you to a developer whatsapp group
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.