Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658147 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 11:09am On Feb 24, 2013
Rizstar: Helo Javania
please i need a good place to learn programming since i studied computer science in school. please could you refer me to a better place where i could start. thnx
Read the thread from the beginning.
Decide on a language.
Get books and read up.
Start coding.

honestly i don't think you need another formal institution to learn programming considering you're already a CSC graduate smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Brains1313(m): 10:17pm On Feb 24, 2013
solomon201: ...Bottom line: which eva u choose be good @ it. Its not d language but rather the individual.

You scored a bull's eye there.

Three gbosa for you, Javanian and the rest of the crew.

Gbosa! Gbosa!! Gbosa!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Brains1313(m): 9:50am On Feb 25, 2013
dulaman: Javanian said anybody with question should ask here. Now people have asked loads of questions no answers.yet you say you will delete any thread opened about it.

Most of the questions that are being asked have been answered in the first two pages of this thread.

Kindly read below;
Javanian: Now the Big Question is: Which Language Should i Start With??

Answer: I DON'T Know, It all depends on YOU

Suggestion

Embeded Systems: Assembly Language and C/C++

Desktop/Stand Alone Application: Java, C/C++, C#, Visual Basic, Visual Basic.NET, Python, Objective-c

Web Application: HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, JQUERY, PHP, ASP.NET, JSP/SERVLET, Python, Ruby

Mobile Applicatio
n: Java, C++, Objective-C, C# etc

Also, bear in mind that these experts need to conduct ongoing research in order to give accurate answers.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by dulaman: 9:57am On Feb 25, 2013
ciphoenix: where?
reading the thread doesnt help you decide which language to learn.thats some people are asking those with experience should advice them based on what they intend to do. I was enjoying the thread until some peep came and start arguing which lang. is better leaving us confused.there are questn above whch answers wher not given.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:49am On Feb 25, 2013
dulaman: reading the thread doesnt help you decide which language to learn.thats some people are asking those with experience should advice them based on what they intend to do. I was enjoying the thread until some peep came and start arguing which lang. is better leaving us confused.there are questn above whch answers wher not given.

what exactly is your question??
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Brains1313(m): 11:43am On Feb 25, 2013
dulaman: reading the thread doesnt help you decide which language to learn.thats some people are asking those with experience should advice them based on what they intend to do. I was enjoying the thread until some peep came and start arguing which lang. is better leaving us confused.there are questn above whch answers wher not given.

I agree with you to an extent. There is a saying that, "too many cooks spoil the broth". Meaning: advise from too people will only get newbies more confused.

My advise to you is: listen to Javanian and two or three othersn then close your ears to others.

However, I feel the quote below might be helpful.

WhiZTiM: good one Moderator Javanian.
Let me try and add seasoning to this meal(thread)... I hope am not an awful cook(writer)...
FIRST OF ALL:::
Java: Desktop Apps, Client apps, Server software, games, management utilities
example of software that is written or partly written in JAVA: JAMB Biometric Software, OpenOffice.
C++: Desktop Apps, Client apps, Server Software, games, management utilities, Operating Systems, Compilers, RDBMS, Databases.
example of software that is written or partly written in C++: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, etc
Python: Desktop Apps, Server management tools, games, management frameworks, RDBMS.
example of software that is written or partly written in Python: Almost any application you use can be written or emulated in Python!
C: Operating Systems, Servers,
example of software that is written or partly written in C: Microsoft Windows Operating System, Linux, iOS, MacOS, Apache Webserver.

Related to the title, this is to answer common questions beginners often ask....
Q1. I want to build Apps that would run on every x86/x64 PC.
Ans: Hardware, and OS are differently manufactured and are also used under varying conditions. It is almost impossible to write one source code that works on everywhere... but that you can have 90 - 100% code reuse depending on what library you are using and what App you are building.
Extra: Example: a simple Calculator, simple equation solver, chat application: then Java is your choice!

Q2. I want to build a UTILITY App that interacts with technicians/administrators and should work on almost all x86/x64 OS..
Ans: Applications that are used for doing some basic computer/data/file management; performing basic testing another application, are software that doesn't necessary require a GUI.. and thus your best friend here is likely to be.... Python

Q3. I want to use the easiest programming language.
Ans: if this is actually one of your question, then I suggest you stick with the old BASIC or QBasic... just kidding... in real world, nothing is actually easy, its just easier to implement something here than there(more on this later). This is based on information I gathered, so, it may not 100% true ...but I guarantee 70%.
Extra: Programming Languages in ease of Complexity(BASED ON HOW HIGH THEY ABSTRACT LOW-LEVEL INSTRUCTIONS)::
Extra: (Maximum Abstraction):VisualBasic -> PHP -> Python -> Objective-C -> C# -> Java -> Erlang -> C++ -> C -> AssemblysadMinimum Abstraction)

Q4. I want to build apps with very beautiful user interface ..not like the usual ones
Ans: Most Software rely on the Operating System's default graphics desktop/Graphical-User System. Its really hard to have your own custom UI because you have to paint or draw EVERY SINGLE PIXEL on the screen, handle events in a harder way... etc. but don't loose hope... to achieve this its good you have knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript... and any other programming language. (mind you, you will have a lot of drawings and mathematics to do).

Q5. I want to build games...
Ans: Nice... its a good one. ONLY SMART PEOPLE CAN WRITE a game... so nice one!!
Well, It depends on what type.... but all in all, great games require you to be an expert in GRAPH THEORIES and GAME THEORIES
Mobile phones:: Learn Java
High graphics like Pro Evolution Soccer, learn C++.

Q6. I want to write a general purpose Operating System like Microsoft Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc.
Ans: Its not in ANY WAY feasible for you to write a useable/relevant one in this regard!! Because it's like ONE baby trying to compete in the battle field with 10, 000 20years old WAR veterans. NOT TO Kill your high spirit... go and learn some assembly language first. :-)... after that, if you still wanna continue, then rest assured, many years of your life would sink in to it and you would spend millions of Dollars.

Q7. I am an intelligent fast grabber.. I want to make money from programming in few months time...
Ans: Sorry to disappoint you... that's not really feasible. You would have spent thousands of hours before you can make even a little money compared to your skill-set.

Q8. I want to build the next Facebook
Ans: Simple, learn HTML, AJAX, Javascript, php, C++, C, Erlang, Java... and get $1million USD ready... thats what you may need for a reasonable start... And pray you succeed. ...but if you are not convinced by the requirements, at least learn the programming languages first!!!

Q9. I do not know what I want to do/I want to learn any
Ans: I suggest you go and find a definition of what you want in life.... Kiddan.... Ummmm... Throw a fair coin... it may help you decide.....

~~~~~~~~~Timothy.(WhiZTiM)

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Brains1313(m): 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
@Javinian,

It is believed that this class (thread) was intended for newbies. But in my humble opinion I see it as an error to have thrown the class open to every Tom, Tony and Harry. In a situation where everyone is trying to be a MASTER here, the end result might be chaos and the situation might get out of control.

In the light of the foregoing, I hereby suggest as follows:
1. The tutorials should be limited to only the highlighted programs in your introduction.
2. The teachers in this class room (thread) should not be more than 5 experts.
3. The newbies like myself should nominate 4 other teachers (experts) to join your team. And if they are more, you will have the prerogative to select from the nominated list.
*To start with I nominate, 'WhiZTiM'.
4. I feel we should also have a dictionary section where certain terminology will be explained.

While my suggestio may not be the best or go down well with all, I simply look forward to more focussed lectures. Remember, every class has its syllabus.

You guys are doing a great job.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 4:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
Brains1313: 1. The tutorials should be limited to only the highlighted programs in your introduction.

aren't they??

2. The teachers in this class room (thread) should not be more than 5 experts.

i don't think they are any teachers here, we are more like course advicers grin and i doubt we are more than 5.

3. The newbies like myself should nominate 4 other teachers (experts) to join your team. And if they are more, you will have the prerogative to select from the nominated list.
*To start with I nominate, 'WhiZTiM'.

i appreciate your efforts towards making this thread better but i can't tell them to stop their contributions, they are only trying to help...and you are new to the programming section so you don't know most of this guys. Most of them are wonderfull programmers just that not everyone is always willing to help and some of them get over ambitious sometimes...

4. I feel we should also have a dictionary section where certain terminology will be explained.

Really Nice idea! I would see if i can start one although i wish someone else could start one because i'm quite busy now, we would all try to contribute. But for now feel free to ask your questions here...

While my suggestio may not be the best or go down well with all, I simply look forward to more focussed lectures. Remember, every class has its syllabus.

You guys are doing a great job.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the problem started when different people started suggesting different languages. I know it can really get frustrating when this person says this and another person says that. I tried preventing this scenario from the onset but all my warnings fell on deaf ears. I would try and be more strict with the initial rules of this thread, once again thanks for your contribution...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by lordZOUGA(m): 4:22pm On Feb 25, 2013
I thought the aim was to point people in the right direction. not to teach them programming
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 4:44pm On Feb 25, 2013
lordZOUGA: I thought the aim was to point people in the right direction. not to teach them programming

and you thought right...

Like he has said the aim of this thread is to get you started, if you have any problems in your programming journey feel free to ask your question here and with time you can even create a new thread and ask your question...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 5:01pm On Feb 25, 2013
dulaman: Javanian said anybody with question should ask here. Now people have asked loads of questions no answers.yet you say you will delete any thread opened about it.

lol...i ignored this comment when i first saw it because you are new here. Before now, any ''i want to learn programming'' thread ended up in two ways...

OPTION 1: This was usually the best and most likely option, in this case your thread would have no reply. Beleive me you might feel bad but it was way better that option 2.

OPTION 2: The thread gets a lot of replies where different people come with different ideas and you get even more confused than you were. And in some cases the thread even ends up in a language war grin (it's quite a while we had one).

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 9:30pm On Feb 25, 2013
Those wars where there's never a winner and always ends in "thread closed" grin
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by monkvirus(m): 7:29am On Feb 26, 2013
Hi javanian & co, pls can u explain to me which one is MATLAB itz purpose nd function.
Thanks..........
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by hackMob: 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2013
When it comes to the point of selecting which language to learn first.

U must first understand that all these languages are design to work differently.
I mean u must understand we av web designing and desktop programming.

U must first decide where u are going, are u willing to be a web designer or a desktop programmer.

After that then will u knw ђã†̥ language to go for.

So wats ur choice web or desktop programming?

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by AngryProf: 8:10pm On Feb 26, 2013
Hi everyone!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by adexsimply(m): 10:46am On Feb 27, 2013
monkvirus: Hi javanian & co, pls can u explain to me which one is MATLAB itz purpose nd function.
Thanks..........
its an high level language which has many in built functions among which MAThematical computation is one..

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by follypimpi(m): 11:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
any haskell + Lisp + Prolog + Ada programmer in the house?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ijeezlux(m): 11:05am On Mar 02, 2013
please programmers in the house i need your help. i have been trying for a very long time now to download c++ compiler but all to no avail. i have been to Google on several occasions but i could not download it. all the c++ compiler i saw online were not free. please where can i download free version of c++ compiler? please help me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 11:45am On Mar 02, 2013
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34673
www.cgi/http://torrentcrazy.com/torrent/7755550/microsoft-visual.studio.ultimate.2012.iso">http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://torrentcrazy.com/torrent/7755550/microsoft-visual.studio.ultimate.2012.iso

ijeezlux: please programmers in the house i need your help. i have been trying for a very long time now to download c++ compiler but all to no avail. i have been to Google on several occasions but i could not download it. all the c++ compiler i saw online were not free. please where can i download free version of c++ compiler? please help me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DaemonDante(m): 12:03pm On Mar 02, 2013
any of the following will do:
Microsoft Visual Studio http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34673
MinGW from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20120426/
DevC++ here http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

ijeezlux: please programmers in the house i need your help. i have been trying for a very long time now to download c++ compiler but all to no avail. i have been to Google on several occasions but i could not download it. all the c++ compiler i saw online were not free. please where can i download free version of c++ compiler? please help me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WhiZTiM(m): 12:04pm On Mar 02, 2013
...That's odd.... Try http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 1:10pm On Mar 02, 2013
spambot really dealing with me here sad

@javanian gracias smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Joezik(m): 6:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
Please can you guyz educate us on the compiler for various programming language and if possible where to download.

I deeply in need of java compiler. Google is not helping matters
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 7:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
Joezik: Please can you guyz educate us on the compiler for various programming language and if possible where to download.

check this out bit..ly/SbqkD0.
remove the extra"." between bit and ly smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by LordRahl001: 10:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
ciphoenix:
check this out bit..ly/SbqkD0.
remove the extra"." between bit and ly smiley
check out www.javasoft.com it redirects to oracle website but for the java page! Select java SE(standard edition)! The latest is jdk7 update whateva!!! Please when u want to download, don't choose JRE as u won't b able to compile wit jre but select jdk(java development kit) it is bundled with jre!!! Don't b tempted wit d size of jre and think its d same!!!! Happy coding!!!!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:07am On Mar 08, 2013
WhiZTiM:
...That's odd.... Try http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads
Codeblocks is an Interactive Development Environment for cross-platform.That is perfect and why would previous commenter prior to your response be looking for a compiler when there is cross-platform IDE as Codeblocks which can invoke a compiler.

I am going to try this Codeblocks out myself to see its capabilities.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 08, 2013
Joezik: Please can you guyz educate us on the compiler for various programming language and if possible where to download.

Seriously, I don't buy the idea of often times downloading compilers for different programming languages when cross-platform IDE can do just basically everything for me.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 08, 2013
adexsimply: its an high level language which has many in built functions among which MAThematical computation is one..
The truth is that your have to purchase it from the MATLAB website before you can install it on your system. I have it on my Linux operating system purchased by my friend for me. It is great as an interactive package for it enormous numeric computation ability, toolbox, algorithms rendering and GUI invocation. Why would I have to pay a huge amount of money to get a software with a cross-platform problem when an open source like Sage, Spyder, etc can do the same and are easily ported?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (165) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.