Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

What Is So Special About January 1st? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is So Special About January 1st? (14485 Views)

What Is So Hard About January? / Read About JANUARY, Derivation Of The Word "JANUARY" And The Gregorian Calender / What Is So Special About December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:27am On Jan 01, 2013
Abbey2sam: If we look @ it ordinarily, there's nothing special about it but the fact that we are crossing over to a new begining, a new charpter in our lives is something to thank God for....

I'm writing this from church

[color=soyouquotedme]How does a new year translate to a new beginning or new chapter in someones life. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by adexway(m): 2:29am On Jan 01, 2013
Jonathan's fuel subsidy removal. Kidding. I think those who died in 2012 can answer better. It's just human to celebrate new things.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:30am On Jan 01, 2013
oladcity: 1st of January is not more important than the other days of the year, however, it is special. It is special because it has been generally accepted as a reference point in yearly cycle.
Now you may want to ask, what's the big deal about being a reference? Just imagine yourself without a home or a journey without a place of departure or a destination. I hope you catch my drift.
1st of January is worth being really excited and great full to God about
[/b]

[color=soyouquotedme]The real reference is our birthday, because the day we die, our accomplishments will be rated relative to the number of years we spend.

Prof Bleep March 30,1940 to June 27, 2012.

Except the person is born on the first of january, it just doesn't count on the long run.

I hope you get my drift too
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:31am On Jan 01, 2013
samuel900: So u don't know what's special if u have sum1 in d Bomb blast of accidents u will no its not easy to cross over
[color=soyouquotedme]So whats the difference between crossing over any other day in the calendar and december 31st.

If you have to overate the cross over of January first then you should over rate every other day too
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:33am On Jan 01, 2013
mfonox: Why do accountants choose the last day of the month to do stock take? Why do companies choose a day to do their year end? As humans, we should also set aside a day to take stock of our lifes, reflect on the past and plan for the future. It doesn't have to be jan first, u can choose to do urs daily, monthly or quarterly. Most pple just prefare to do theirs yearly, cos then u can include both short and long term goals. and since jan 1st is the first day of the new calender year, why not?

[color=soyouquotedme]So it's a time for making goals and planning not celebration, then you agreed with me that it's over rated. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:36am On Jan 01, 2013
ehiotoye: Nothing special because u r alive, healthy n can even post topic on NL if v bin on sick bed suferin from one pain or d other n pple r celebratin around u, u wil know it is special n dont nid 2 ask d questn

[color=soyouquotedme]You made no point.

Why is January first special but January 3rd is'nt.
Why should people celebrate being healthy on January 1st and not celebrate being health on June 2nd.

I will love answers to my question
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 01, 2013
Truckpusher: GO BOY! YOU JUST SPOKE MY MIND....RIGHT NOW I'M IN A BAR WITH MA HOMMIE BUT MY HOMMY'S BIT/CH IS IN THE CHURCH , MY PROBLEM WITH THIS WHOLE THING IS THAT WE'RE GOING TO CLUB AND THEY'LL END UP FUC/KING EACH OTHER, SO WHAT'S THE POINT GOING TO CHURCH?.....NIGERIANS ACTUALLY THINK THAT THEY CAN MOCK GOD.....MTCHEEW

Your gf is patiently waiting to be f\/cked while you are in the club. Mtchew!
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by REMMEI(m): 4:37am On Jan 01, 2013
k2039:
I celebrated my birthday yesterday and it was just a normal day for me, no cake or party because it's just a waste of resources.

If at all there is a day that matters in the calendar it's my birthday. The only reason it's special is because when I die it will be said about 'K2039 Dec 30, 1990-.........' did so and so in his X years on earth.

So birthday actually calls for a sober reflection not celebration.

If I were to go by your post each day and month aren't different from each other, so why is new year over rated than other days.
If it's not over rated then every day should be celebrated like the new year.

And who told you new year also is not for sober reflections?..and who said some people don't rejoice for each new day?..
What am even saying here is that,you don't need to reflect or contemplate on that very day cos its like every other day..you need not consider it[your birthday] because its easy for to choose any date you wish,month and year for yourself..

..not everyone believe that the first of january is their new year..I hope you know that..I hope you will soon realize that we are living in a numerical world..and each numerals..arabic or roman numerals are playing a significant role in your daily life..concur or not,someday you will have to explain that to yourself..so bawz..every days are signicant and cogent..that's why they are all followed with algorithm..

HAPPY NEW MONTH SIRE.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by REMMEI(m): 4:49am On Jan 01, 2013
k2039:
You don't have to wait till the end of the year to make a stern decision.
All I see from your post is that the new year calls for a reflection and soberness over the last year, not a celebration, so it's over rated.

By the way life is meaningless, you can ask Solomon. What's the point of living if you are going to die.

Smh!...I agreed life is so meaningless..and am even glad you know much..hope you realize how baseless this tread you opened is..and no one will stop you if you dare contemplate suicide now to proof to the world how unimportant the life you are living is..instead of coming on Nairaworld..

YOU GO REALIZE SAY EBA SWEET PASS DEATH.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 5:34am On Jan 01, 2013
REMMEI:

Smh!...I agreed life is so meaningless..and am even glad you know much..hope you realize how baseless this tread you opened is..and no one will stop you if you dare contemplate suicide now to proof to the world how unimportant the life you are living is..instead of coming on Nairaworld..

Mtchew! angry
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by millhouse: 5:49am On Jan 01, 2013
Not every company has jan1st as its new calendar year
maninmood:

You sound like life is quite meaningless to you, pardon my ignorance if I am wrong. January 1st is not only crucial to individuals but also companies. It is high time you checked what you were unable to fix in 2012, reflect over it, and make a stern decision, and this should start tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 7:43am On Jan 01, 2013
REMMEI:

And who told you new year also is not for sober reflections?..and who said some people don't rejoice for each new day?..
What am even saying here is that,you don't need to reflect or contemplate on that very day cos its like every other day..you need not consider it[your birthday] because its easy for to choose any date you wish,month and year for yourself..

..not everyone believe that the first of january is their new year..I hope you know that..I hope you will soon realize that we are living in a numerical world..and each numerals..arabic or roman numerals are playing a significant role in your daily life..concur or not,someday you will have to explain that to yourself..so bawz..every days are signicant and cogent..that's why they are all followed with algorithm..

HAPPY NEW MONTH SIRE.

[color=soyouquotedme]At the bolded is my point, so why is Jan. accorded so much hype than the other days.

I agree every single day is important, but my question has to do with the over rating of January 1st.

So you coming down to my point, this day is inflated.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by kadree(m): 7:45am On Jan 01, 2013
But y would a religion dat boast of a huge population be celebrating d day selected for a pegan god-juran?
Y celebrating sometin dat doesn't av a sound origin?its just unbelievable
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 7:48am On Jan 01, 2013
REMMEI:

[color=soyouquotedme]Reading the comments so far and checking my original post you will realise this thread is very important.

It makes us question tradition, most people have been celebrating Jan. 1st without asking themselves the important question, what are we really celebrating, what makes Jan. 1st special.

And so far so good no one has given me any cogent answers to my question and you telling me the thread is baseless, talk about pre concieved mindset about the day.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 01, 2013
onila: i have missed you all smiley

back from a ban smiley

You deserve a life ban... grin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by ReeOde(m): 8:33am On Jan 01, 2013
lavita2: Well, to me January 1st presents a new beginning. A chance to look back and say 'oh, I messed last year and I am going to improve this year'. It presents a renewed strength and vigour to pursue that dream of mine. I look forward to 2013. Have a properous year Fellow Nairalanders. wink

And every year you keep looking back to say 'oh, you messed up last year and you're going to improve another.' Change is constant in man. Whether you like it or not, 2012 or 2013, you will grow and so will your thoughts or dream, such that there will always be a cause to pursue whatever dream you dreamt of or dreaming about, or not.
2012 started with the same notion and now where does it end? Whether you like it or not, you willl surely achieve what God has destined for you when it's time. Poor man and his misguidance, not willing to accept the truth, influenced by his society and companions. Let's not forget that every individual will bare his own cause on the Day of Reckoning, so choose wise your companions and decisions.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by ReeOde(m): 8:33am On Jan 01, 2013
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by ReeOde(m): 9:25am On Jan 01, 2013
@k2039
It interest me to know someone...is showing keen interest in knowing what makes it so special; have you also thought of finding if it is worth counting, if it is acqurate in its numbers of days of a month?
A bit of me, i count the moon. It is perfect, and am actually saying this with a sincere heart and to the best of my knowledge. Counting the moon from its cresent until it is fullmoon and then again a cresent before it disappears for a night or two of which it appears again as a cresent and on and on. All these counting makes 29 or 30days. You can learn more about it if you choose to, it is knowledge.
We use the Gregorian in Nigeria and i count for it...but i definitely use the Lunar in performing my religious acts. It's acqurate for me.

New year, even in my doctrine, my calender, it is what it is, a new year. It holds no meaning or significance other than what it is, A NEW YEAR.
With this firm teaching and practise, no day is insignificant and more significant other than our two festivals and one weekly festival (fridays). So i don't celebrate both neither do i make it seem special.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Kizopumpin(m): 10:40am On Jan 01, 2013
So special because it is my wifey's birthday kiss grin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Topilo13(f): 10:42am On Jan 01, 2013
Notin,its lyk oda daz,evryday is special nd we shld remba death alwaz.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by mycoldsweat: 10:46am On Jan 01, 2013
baibijay@yahoo.:
k2039, lemme guess diz will make front page! bt trust me u knw d ans to ur qst! u jus feel like posting sumfin
is that the answer to the question from op, must u comment, u can just past if what he posted makes no meaning to u

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by wizboi26(m): 10:46am On Jan 01, 2013
@op. Are u from dis planet?
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Madawaki01(m): 10:47am On Jan 01, 2013
Topilo13: Notin,its lyk oda daz,evryday is special nd we shld remba death alwaz.
haha,why?
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by hammedkola(m): 10:48am On Jan 01, 2013
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Builder: 11:33am On Jan 01, 2013
The best thing about january 1st.. is that is when pastors count their profit and print brain-washing flyers for the first sunday of the year.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by sholay2011(m): 11:35am On Jan 01, 2013
Mynd_44: Midnight 1st of January is the most annoying time of the year. Seriously how is it different from all the other days? And yet some over religious people will start running to church so they they as in church at that momment and then got back to what they are doing. I will rather sleep in my house or watch TV

To each his own. Going to church for crossover nite isn't being over religious. Pls, dnt come here and give us e-poison of the mind.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by caukerzee(m): 11:36am On Jan 01, 2013
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]So it's a time for making goals and planning not celebration, then you agreed with me that it's over rated. [/color]
Just stop contradicting your fvcking confused brain. What are resolutions then? Does'nt resolution involve planning and making goals? The same you said in a previous reply that you resolutions at the begining of the year makes no sense. As i said earlier, it is a refrence point of a journey, thats why we take note of birthdays, too look back and see what one has achived within the year. Most times people set goals, say i want to achive this within these number of years. If i suceed, why dont i celebrate my sucess and if i fail why dont i make resolutions to suceed? It is all a reference point between the end of one journey and the begining of another.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by iamdsam: 11:50am On Jan 01, 2013
Most people don't know that it's just a change in the date calender. It's like any other day but over religious religous people will not agree with that

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
prof e.o.o:
Wel,jan 1st is lyk evry oda day 2me. I rejoice greatly wen i c a new minute,hour and day. In dat lite,d idea of waiting until 1 particular day,2thank God,be it my birthday or jan 1st is xo nt on point. Moreover,jan 1st is rooted in a pagan celebration of d god janus wit 2 faces,one facing bk nd d oda front. Pals tk 2mao jst lyk evry oda day.
i like dat point you've just made there...dere's really nothing special bout today-just anoda normal day really. And uh, you don't celebrate your birthday-dat's uber cool!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by andyjell01(m): 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2013
The fact that u r not dead,and u still av fingers to type such a stupid question is good enough reason why janaury 1st is important.so many people couldnt make to the new year and u did and all u can say is to ask this outrageously stupid question.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Dee60: 12:27pm On Jan 01, 2013
The first day of a new year offers another opportunity to start afresh with new dreams and with utmost prayers to make the next twelve months fulfilling. we should be positive at such an opportunity. Particularly, we should embrace God. With God...all things are possible.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by dilbert100: 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
nothing really

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2024 Is The Year Of Nairaland's Resurgence / What Have You Survived This Year? Inspire Others / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.