Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,513 members, 7,808,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

What Is So Special About January 1st? - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is So Special About January 1st? (14494 Views)

What Is So Hard About January? / Read About JANUARY, Derivation Of The Word "JANUARY" And The Gregorian Calender / What Is So Special About December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by patostation(m): 3:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
Libkid: The best way u can get ur ansa is to visit the mortuary or bera still the cemetry.i bet u will have a reason to celebrate the new year.
My dear, people will always be in the mortuary and in the cemetry, even some of those that 'have reason to celebrate the new year'. Some will die from poison, fire, Boko Haram, road accident, plane crash, heart attack etc even after celebrating today. Those alive are not better than them. Jesus reminded us of this when he pointed out regarding the accident that happened in Siloam in which 18 persons died and another incident in Galilee whereby Pilate murdered many innocent souls (Lu 13:1-5). My argument is that being in the mortuary or in the hotel is not the important issue but making a good name with God (Eccl 7:1)
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Godseagle(m): 3:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
Its special because its My Birthday.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by LogicSense: 5:58pm On Jan 01, 2013
Abbey2sam: If we look @ it ordinarily, there's nothing special about it but the fact that we are crossing over to a new begining, a new charpter in our lives is something to thank God for....

I'm writing this from church
what new beginning is the beginning of new idol month(janus)?.you people quickly bring God into every unholy thing. Who told you that in God's calendar january is the first month? Many of us are too ignorant to learn. One good thing about xtianity is that it has no form.it copies a lot of pagan thing and brand it as divine. Jesus was never born on 25 dec but a date for celebration of the birth of greek god and they use banger to represent Gun being used then. I think jan 1st is important because it is given by god Gregory. Let those pastors emphasizing the divinity of january to tel us where it is written the 1st mnth is jan in the bible. Well they wl soon tell us that they saw jesus and he told them.mind you this is the second month of the lunar calendar which is sanctioned by God.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
Wooow what a thread Nigerians need to start thinking logically and stop accepting make believe traditions!!!

*i use the martian calendar so am not your mate grin grin*
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Oladenis(m): 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2013
k2039: At about 12.00 am later tonight most people will rejoice and congratulate each other, in fact some will create a big feast for the day.

Logically, january 1st is only the first day of a calendar year.
I don't see any spectacular difference between the first day and any other day of a calendar year, except that the former is the first and also a public holiday. Besides it's not the only public holiday in the year.

After the first day of the year, everything remains as it was(polically, environmentally etc), so I don't see the big deal.
I know some will talk about resolutions, but is it reasonable to wait till the end of the year to make a resolution.

IMHO I think new year is overrated, I will love to hear from nairalander, what's so special about the first day of a year or what's so special about the new year.

THERE IS NOTING SPECIAL ABOUT NEW YEAR COS IT'S A MONTH OF D ROMANS CALLED (JANUS) GOD OF THE GATES & DOORS 4 D PAGANS, THE EARLY XTAIN FIX THE CIRCUMCISION OF JESUS CHRIST (PBUH) TO D 1ST DAY OF DIS MONTH. SO THIS CELEBRATION IS TRADITIONAL ( PAGANISM )
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by EASY32: 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2013
lots and lots of religious eye-services..hypocrisy sleep in church till jan 1st morning and continue same ways..they seem to forget that its same 24hrs...even when some had not seen they new year in other parts of the world..God will help us!
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by oladcity(m): 9:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
oladcity: 1st of January is not more important than the other days of the year, however, it is special. It is special because it has been generally accepted as a reference point in yearly cycle.
Now you may want to ask, what's the big deal about being a reference? Just imagine yourself without a home or a journey without a place of departure or a destination. I hope you catch my drift.
1st of January is worth being really excited and great full to God about

K2039: The real reference is our birthday, because the day we die, our accomplishments will be rated relative to the number of years we spend.

Prof Bleep March 30,1940 to June 27, 2012.

Except the person is born on the first of january, it just doesn't count on the long run.

I hope you get my drift too[/b]

If you actually catch my drift, you will understand that 1st of January is a common reference to the world and not just an individual. When you are celebrating your birthday no one in the world cares except those who know you and God Who created you, but on the 1st of January, everyone is affected and aware whether they like it or not.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Thom(m): 10:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ît so special coz it is date of my birth
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by kapitalppties: 10:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ok. If u must know, it is my birthday.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by greatgod2012(f): 5:57am On Jan 02, 2013
Even though i didnt see this thread on time, i will still comment.
There is nothing so special about d day, it has d same 24 hours other days are having, it has morning, afternoon and evening other days are having, it has d same day and night other days are having. People die and get born on d day just like every other day, so, nothing special, only that it get overated by people.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Koolking(m): 6:09am On Jan 02, 2013
Mynd_44: I will rather sleep in my house or watch TV
Thank you. We share the same view. I have been doing just that since I gained independence from my parents. 31Dec and 1Jan are grossly overrated. They are just ordinary calendar days to me.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by dguruja(m): 8:25am On Jan 02, 2013
It is special because it's a pause to glimse back and correct some mistakes and re- engineer yourself for the continue journey.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 8:31am On Jan 02, 2013
dguruja: It is special because it's a pause to glimse back and correct some mistakes and re- engineer yourself for the continue journey.

[color=soyouquotedme]Does it make maximim sense towait till the end of the year before you glimse back, so if anything goes wrong in June, you will wait till Jan. before you re engineer yourself.
If you have to wait till Jan. to correct mistakes and re engineer yourself, I'm afraid a lot of things will go bad and out of hand.

@Greatgod2012, I agree with your post on this thread, it's so over rated and thanks for your words of encouragement on the 22 lessons.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 8:32am On Jan 02, 2013
Koolking:
Thank you. We share the same view. I have been doing just that since I gained independence from my parents. 31Dec and 1Jan are grossly overrated. They are just ordinary calendar days to me.

[color=soyouquotedme]The bolded got me laughing, right word though. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 8:36am On Jan 02, 2013
oladcity: oladcity: 1st of January is not more important than the other days of the year, however, it is special. It is special because it has been generally accepted as a reference point in yearly cycle.
Now you may want to ask, what's the big deal about being a reference? Just imagine yourself without a home or a journey without a place of departure or a destination. I hope you catch my drift.
1st of January is worth being really excited and great full to God about

K2039: The real reference is our birthday, because the day we die, our accomplishments will be rated relative to the number of years we spend.

Prof Bleep March 30,1940 to June 27, 2012.

Except the person is born on the first of january, it just doesn't count on the long run.

I hope you get my drift too[/b]

If you actually catch my drift, you will understand that 1st of January is a common reference to the world and not just an individual. When you are celebrating your birthday no one in the world cares except those who know you and God Who created you, but on the 1st of January, everyone is affected and aware whether they like it or not.

[color=soyouquotedme]It isn't generaly accepted has reference point, the muslims, jews and other religions have their own calendar, so saying it's generaly accepted is a fallacious statement.

A year in itself is a state function, so any reference used isn't better than another reference, in the end it will give you thesame results.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Koolking(m): 1:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]The bolded got me laughing, right word though. [/color]

Seriously, I don't do group mentality on those two days. Last 31night and Jan 1, I pampered myself with seasonal movies while neighbors where away getting confused, preparing to renew their old habits in the name of new year resolutions. SMH

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by omowunmi6: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
January is nt a special dy all days r special , Jehovah God made everytn special
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by sylve11: 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
chigoville: Wooow what a thread Nigerians need to start thinking logically and stop accepting make believe traditions!!!

*i use the martian calendar so am not your mate grin grin*

Lol. I see! Happy new year nairalanders! grin grin

Honestly some peeps over hyped that day (Jan 1), but don't try to tell it to the ordinary christian, dem fit fight u. cool
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Adexprint(m): 11:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
caukerzee: Why do you need to remember your birthday then since its just like every other day? As a poster said, its a reference point, the begining and start of a new era. Imagine going for a journey without a starting point or refrence point?
and what if I take my own birthday as my own reference point? dat mean Jan 1st will mean less 2 me. I take everyday serious so dere is no special day even praising God is done everyday so I set no day aside 4 dat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Oam4j! / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report / Top Events That Rocked Nigeria And Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.