Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,422 members, 7,781,228 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:57 AM

Is Faith Credulity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Faith Credulity? (929 Views)

Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? / What Is Faith? / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Faith Credulity? by ezme(m): 8:11pm On Dec 31, 2012
I was having a discussion with a friend and at a point I stated that I place reason above faith when I approach life and it intrigues and he seemed disappointed and said as a Christian I'm not supposed to say that as it rubbishes my Christian belief system.

So I quoted this scripture;

Proverbs 3: 21-24

21: My son preserve sound judgement and discernment, do not let them out of your sight;
22: they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.
23: Then you will go on your way in safety,and your foot will not stumble;
24: when you lie down, you will not be afraid;when you lie down your sleep will be sweet.

I also stated that these were written by Solomon(the wisest man ever recorded in the bible), but this made no difference to him.

So I'm just wondering, can we categorize faith? Is faith credulity?
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by UyiIredia(m): 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2012
Indeed faith is credulity. They both imply belief in something. However reason can't work without faith. Thing is reason seeks a basis for a belief while faith is the belief itself. I see reason and faith as being on the same pedestal. One certainly needs a basis for a belief and properly define (reason) that belief (faith).
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by advocate666: 9:43pm On Dec 31, 2012
christian psychological torture

1 Like

Re: Is Faith Credulity? by Kay17: 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
@uyi

In other words, reason justifies faith?
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by ezme(m): 12:27pm On Jan 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Indeed faith is credulity. They both imply belief in something. However reason can't work without faith. Thing is reason seeks a basis for a belief while faith is the belief itself. I see reason and faith as being on the same pedestal. One certainly needs a basis for a belief and properly define (reason) that belief (faith).

The kind of faith most Christians talk about seems to be the foolhardy one. You hear them talking about a helper that would "sow a seed of a car or a house into their lives" as they would like to put it.Logically this does not follow and usually never really happens.Some even believe they would stumble into a missing bag of money somewhere. An SSCE holder believing he would be made Manager SPDC west. Is this the kind of faith that should be encouraged in the Church?
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by UyiIredia(m): 6:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
ezme:

The kind of faith most Christians talk about seems to be the foolhardy one. You hear them talking about a helper that would "sow a seed of a car or a house into their lives" as they would like to put it.Logically this does not follow and usually never really happens.Some even believe they would stumble into a missing bag of money somewhere. An SSCE holder believing he would be made Manager SPDC west. Is this the kind of faith that should be encouraged in the Church?

Certainly not. You are quite right in saying the foolhardy faith is encouraged.
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by UyiIredia(m): 6:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
Kay 17: @uyi

In other words, reason justifies faith?

Yes.
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by Kay17: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
What then is the role of faith when we have reason.
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 18, 2013
Kay 17: What then is the role of faith when we have reason.
abeg helep me ask them o..Jesus feeding 4000 with 7 loaves is reason abi
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by Nobody: 5:38am On Jan 18, 2013
Bidam: abeg helep me ask them o..Jesus feeding 4000 with 7 loaves is reason abi
Not reason. Spiritual copy and paste... Old technology, Bill Gates got nothing on Jesus...

To the matter @ hand

What's the difference between faith and foolhardy faith? Is this foolhardy faith?

Matt 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Matt. 17:20 "You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."
Re: Is Faith Credulity? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 18, 2013
musKeeto:
Not reason. Spiritual copy and paste... Old technology, Bill Gates got nothing on Jesus...

To the matter @ hand

What's the difference between faith and foolhardy faith? Is this foolhardy faith?

Matt 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Matt. 17:20 "You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."
lol..funny you should compare wordly systems( babylon) with God's kingdom...believe it or not the bible has the blue print to govern any nation..it is actually complete in evry sense of the word..just keep searching you might decode one or two technology from the bible with the help of the Holy Spirit..have u asked yourself why solomon represents the height of the glory of the kingdom in isreal?? He is the fulfillment and the completion of a move of God that began, but was not completed in the life and of David, the great warrior king of isreal. Read the OT bro..hidden truths plenty dia no b small then compare it with the history of other nations who do not know God.
@Topic: Faith is the basis of testimony..there is something unique about miracle that builds faith that was why i brought the analogy of Jesus feeding 4000 with 7 loaves...Jesus said "unless you people see signs and wonders you will never believe..John4:48... Truth be told, in my little experiences with God i have seen some supernatural intervention and His Hands in my life that has defies science and logic and that enables me to believe and trust Him the more...ayam now a fool for Jesus..i don't know wat u call fool hardy faith..and i don't care either..i just follow the instructions of Pastor Jesus as foolish as it looks and since what He told me is in line with His Word, i have no prob.. Wit dat.."spiritual copy and paste" you say? smh! The stories of the bible are not fables or myths. They themselves contain their own framework for understanding FAITH AND MIRACLES...many christains(including you) are UNEASY with the miracle story of scriptures.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Shocked As Two Nude Witches Crash Land In Her Garden :-\ / Why Does God Allow Bad Things To Happen To Good People? / Expect Rapture Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.