Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,727 members, 7,805,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? (6855 Views)

Where Do The Extra People Come From On Cross Over Nights? / 10 Types Of Youths That Will Attend Cross Over Service / Cross Over Night/new Year Resolutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Osyxcel(m): 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
Was just wondering why loadz of people go to churches/mosques every Dec 31, just to shout 'Happy New Year'....even those that did not go 2 Church/Mosque throughout d year.....

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by mysticgal(f): 9:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
they want to thank God for sparing their lives,what else?
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by ednut1(m): 10:21pm On Dec 31, 2012
because we nigerians are hypocrites, afta tonight, we continue or justified evil ways

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
I don't know why we Africans are too lazy to think and solve their problems rather than pray to God who is busy solving smarter people's problems.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by CohenJane: 10:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sleeping to wake every day is a cross over night. it's the greatest miracle i have ever witnessed.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by kaboninc(m): 10:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
CohenJane: Sleeping to wake every day is a cross over night. it's the greatest miracle i have ever witnessed.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
I just dont know! For me am reading nairaland. Heard some messages and sleep off it does not make any difference?
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Shenez: 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
What are you trying to insuniate? These practice have been occur before you are born even your father.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
Shenez: What are you trying to insuniate? These practice have been occur before you are born even your father.
Even his Grandfather

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by djeezy(m): 11:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
To be frank i really don't know it's significance.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Osyxcel(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
ednut1: because we nigerians are hypocrites, afta tonight, we continue or justified evil ways

Word!
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by bobblue: 11:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
I personally think it is pointless. There is nothing significant about Dec 31/Jan 1 in the Gregorian calendar. It is not a significant date in God's calendar. It is ok to pray, it is ok to reflect but the dogmatism and fanaticism about that date is what irks me. For those who follow God's calendar there are certain dates to watch out for, those are the dates that really matter

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Osyxcel(m): 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2012
Shenez: What are you trying to insuniate? These practice have been occur before you are born even your father.

D fact that it has been in practise 4 a long tym doesn't make it d best practise....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
Osyxcel:

D fact that it has been in practise 4 a long tym doesn't make it d best practise....
ok fine..where else would u wanna enter the new year?? In the club house or in the hotel room?? 365 days nr be moi-moi
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Maisuya1: 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
I don't think Muslims partake in mosque service at midnight today, at least not that I know of. Mainly because the islamic new year was some months back, and even for that there was no official crossover prayer, just every day normal prayers

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by bobblue: 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2012
I would not recommend going to places you do not feel comfortable with, however, my point is that there is nothing significant about that date and those who have a religious belief that there is something special about that day and they must be at church praying through 12 midnight on that particular day, well it is good for their psyche but they should not be religious about it, as if those of us who do not see anything special about that day are somewhat in the wrong
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Shenez: 11:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
Osyxcel:

okay i don hear, what would you do know cancel it?? Pointless issue!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by bobblue: 11:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
The point is to educate (religious) people and make them realise that there is nothing special about that date. They can go to sleep without feeling guilty about not attending some 'watch night service'
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Optimus10(m): 11:48pm On Dec 31, 2012
It's plain hypocrisy by most people.sort of ritual or tradition they feel they must partake in despite the fact they don't go to Church all year round...everyday deserves special prayers and thanks in my opinion.Jan 1st is no different from February 10th...they're both days worth thanking God for

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Tmany(m): 1:26am On Jan 01, 2013
significant reasongrin 365 days GONE thousands died thousands in the hospital thousands died alive.
If you are christian it cost you nothing to go to church for cross over service just to thank God 3hrs max
or just thank God with your family in your home

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by joe4christ(m): 1:30am On Jan 01, 2013
Well, from personal experience, i've come to the realisation that each year 31 Dec night i spend at home or somewhere else other than the church the entire year would just not be pleasant to me no matter the effort i put into it to make it successful, but each year i do attend such cross-over in a church (A living church) then through out that year i would record great succeess and less stressful and fulfilled year indeed.
It would just seem as if there are some unseen forces backing my endavours and making them successful. It's unbelievably true!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Osyxcel(m): 1:37am On Jan 01, 2013
Tmany: or just thank God with your family in your home

exactly wat I mean, am not against the fact that U shd tank God, but U can do it in Ur own home or Ur own way....sum ppl make it mandatory 2 b in Church when d clock hits 00:00, even if they av 2 get dere a minute before....
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by todasensual: 1:46am On Jan 01, 2013
[quote author=kaboninc][/quote]

true...
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by todasensual: 1:48am On Jan 01, 2013
Brand_new: I don't know why we Africans are too lazy to think and solve their problems rather than pray to God who is busy solving smarter people's problems.

it is just the way we been brought up, instead of workingh hard we xpect God to do it for us....
wich is quite negative....
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by adexway(m): 2:24am On Jan 01, 2013
My take, just to start a new chapter with GOD. It's not a mandatory thing, it's more of your belief
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by vislabraye(m): 2:36am On Jan 01, 2013
bobblue: I personally think it is pointless. There is nothing significant about Dec 31/Jan 1 in the Gregorian calendar. It is not a significant date in God's calendar. It is ok to pray, it is ok to reflect but the dogmatism and fanaticism about that date is what irks me. For those who follow God's calendar there are certain dates to watch out for, those are the dates that really matter

Time and season were created for man. God dwells in eternity so He doesn't need time.
However, end of year service is a personal thing. If you don't feel like attending, God would kill you.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by BlueMurder(m): 6:32am On Jan 01, 2013
The Gregorian Calendar itself is a historical mistake according to the Pope. So what's the point of these arguments?
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by gst101: 7:06am On Jan 01, 2013
had it been we do not use he gregorian calendar, we will not be celebrating any new years day today. The new year has no significance in divine revelation. Sadly, i do hear some christians say new year is better than chrismas! These christians obviously know nothing about divine revelation.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by matrixme(m): 7:58am On Jan 01, 2013
People should not generalize on things... If December 31st night doesn't look significant to you, then I personally believe it is up to you. Last time I checked, "watchnight service" has got its own Wikipedia page, so it must be that important enough to a whole lot of people who feels thankful to their creator for counting them privileged to be alive and to receive instructions and cover for the new year among other reasons. Besides, nobody is being forced to attend one, for there are many other "great" places one can spend such important night. After all, it is just only "one out of the many" days in a year to the undiscerning
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:01am On Jan 01, 2013
mysticgal: they want to thank God for sparing their lives,what else?

[color=soyouquotedme]So they had to wait till the end of the year to do that [/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by OmolodMilkman93(m): 8:02am On Jan 01, 2013
bobblue: For those who follow God's calendar there are certain dates to watch out for, those are the dates that really matter
sir, pls wat re those dates?
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Mustay(m): 8:02am On Jan 01, 2013
Osyxcel: Was just wondering why loadz of people go to churches/mosques every Dec 31, just to shout 'Happy New Year'....even those that did not go 2 Church/Mosque throughout d year.....

Muslims DO NOT observe this.

First, they use the Hijrah calendar. Presently, they are in Safar 19 (2nd month) on January 1.

Secondly, as caused by the Punch Editorial on Ogbeni's declaration of public holiday to mark the 1434 hijrah, hijrah is observed in Muslim countries but there's no evidence in the religion for fanfare etc
:

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/columnists/osun-hijrah-and-equity/

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/femi-abbas/hijrah-and-nigerian-media/

Thirdly, the muslims use the weather. By their night prayer, another day has started - they don't use the 12 am to 12 noon kinda thing. Going by that logic, december 31'ended' when "complete darkness has arrived and the white twilight in the sky has disappeared" or "when the red thread has disappeared from the sky".

Fourthly, Muslims observe tahajjud (night) which is a personal thing. The widely 'recommended' time for this is around 2am to past 5am. There is no need for a congregation in the mosque. However, if some people are observing 'special prayer' or tahajjud in the guise of welcoming the gregorian year, then this is nothing but an innovation and has no basis in Islam.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transportation From Ajah To Ikeja / Stock Jeans Available At Wholesale And Retail Prices / Recipe For Sweet Relationship (cork's Report: 2010)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.