Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (478771 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 01, 2015
Miscellaneous:

why is it nonlinear? because of the "sin" ?

Yes sire!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:14am On Jan 01, 2015
doubleDx:

It's a 2nd order nonlinear ODE with degree 1 . Happy new year to y'all!
2nd order, yes. Nonlinear, yes.

But I doubt if it is of degree 1. To see this, recall that
sin(y'')=y''- (y'')3/3!+ (y'')5/5!-(y'')7/7!+. . .

So, inherently, we see that the degree is infinite (or does not exist?)

that's what I feel ooooh. Please, criticize.cool

Happy New Year, Sire.
Happy New Year, NMCites
cool

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2015
jackpot:

Happy New Year, Sire.
Happy New Year, NMCites
cool

You are actually right! The degree doesn't exist... I have rechecked! Thanks for pointing that out...

Happy new year! It's been a while....howdy?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 4:27pm On Jan 01, 2015
jackpot:

Happy New Year, Sire.
Happy New Year, NMCites
cool

It Is a NON-LINEAR, SECOND DEGREE, THIRD ORDER differential equation

PROOF;

given; sin(y'')+y'=0 or

sin(y'') = -y'............(1.)

first we differentiate the above

using function of a function to get;

d[sin(y" )]/dy" x dy"/dt + d(y')/dt=0 where we take t as the independent variable; we obtain

cos(y" ) x y'" + y"=0 or

cos(y" ) = -y"/y'" ..............(2.)

square (1.) and (2.) and add;

sin2(y'' ) + cos2(y'' )= (y')2 + (y"/y'" )2=1 or

[1-(y')2] x (y'" )2-(y" )2=0

Q.E.D

if u doubt that the two differential equations are inequivalent, solve the first one (since it is easier) and show that it satisfies the second.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:37pm On Jan 01, 2015
A RULE ON MULTIPLICATION
suppose we are to multiply two numbers with 5 as unit digit each.
We proceed as follows;
let the numbers be n5 & m5 then
n5 x m5 = (10n+5) x (10m+5) = 100nm+50(n+m)+25=100nm+100(n+m)/2+25=100[nm+(n+m)/2]+25

Hence; n5 x m5 = [nm+(n+m)/2]25

Theorem;
i.) to multiply two numbers ending with 5, take the product of their non-unit digit, take the average of their non unit digit, sum them and add 25 @ the end. Provided the two non-unit digits are either both odd or both even.
E.g 135 x 15= (13+7)25=2025 since 13 and 1 are both odd, 13 x 1 =13 and (13+1)/2=7 so 13+7=20

again, 25 x 65= (12+4)25=1625 since 2 and 6 are both even, 6 x 2 =12 and (6+2)/2=4 so 12+4=16

ii.) if one of the non-unit digit is odd and the other is even, take their product, add the non-units to 1 and divide by 2, sum the result with the product, put 75 @ the end.
E.g 125 x 35= (36+cool75=4475
since 12 and 3 have opposite parity, 12x3=36, and (12+3+1)/2=8

COLORALLY;
i.) if two or more numbers ending with 5 are multplied, the last two digits of the result must either be 25 or 75
ii.) to multiply a number by 5, if its non unit digit is even, divide it by 2 and add 25. E.g 65 x 5=(6/2)25=325.
It its non-unit digit is odd, add 1 to it and divide by 2 and put 75 behind the result. E.g 35x5=(3+1)/2=275.
All these follow from the above result; n5xm5=[nm+(n+m)/2]25 if m=0 then n5x05=[0+(n+0)/2]25=(n/2)25
iii.) to square a number that ends with 5, multply the non-unit digit by the nearest integer greater than it. From our formula;
n5xm5=[nm+(n+m)/2]25 put n=m then, m5xm5=(m5)2=[m2+m]25=m(m+1)25
e.g
652=(6x7)25=4225
or
852=(8x9)25=7225
or
152=(1x2)25=225
or
52=052=(0x1)25=025=25
or
352=(3x4)25=1225
or
e.t.c

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 5:58pm On Jan 01, 2015
Laplacian:

PROOF;

given; sin(y'')+y'=0 or

d[sin(y" )]/dy" x dy"/dt + d(y')/dt=0 where we take t as the independent variable; we obtain

cos(y" ) x y'" + y"=0 or

Q.E.D

if u doubt that the two differential equations are inequivalent, solve the first one (since it is easier) and show that it satisfies the second.

hay man , the prof. himself. .

but seems its of a non-existence /infinite degree since even after every successive derivatives we obtain different D.E ......we employ your approach for P.S ( power series solutions) .

hope you get the gist ..?

you're great man !!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:02pm On Jan 01, 2015
greetings .....

happy new year

please help out with this. integral of ln(sinx) dx = ?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 2nioshine(m): 6:13pm On Jan 01, 2015
Laplacian:
A RULE ON MULTIPLICATION
suppose we are to multiply two numbers with 5 as unit digit each.
We proceed as follows;
let the numbers be n5 & m5 then
n5 x m5 = (10n+5) x (10m+5) = 100nm+50(n+m)+25=100nm+100(n+m)/2+25=100[nm+(n+m)/2]+25

Hence; n5 x m5 = [nm+(n+m)/2]25

COLORALLY;
i.) if two or more numbers ending with 5 are multplied, the last two digits of the result must either be 25 or 75
ii.) to multiply a number by 5, if its non unit digit is even, divide it by 2 and add 25. E.g 65 x 5=(6/2)25=325.
It its non-unit digit is odd, add 1 to it and divide by 2 and put 75 behind the result. E.g 35x5=(3+1)/2=275.
All these follow from the above result; n5xm5=[nm+(n+m)/2]25 if m=0 then n5x05=[0+(n+0)/2]25=(n/2)25
iii.) to square a number that ends with 5, multply the non-unit digit by the nearest integer greater than it. From our formula;
n5xm5=[nm+(n+m)/2]25 put n=m then, m5xm5=(m5)2=[m2+m]25=m(m+1)25
e.g
652=(6x7)25=4225
or
852=(8x9)25=7225
or
152=(1x2)25=225
or
52=052=(0x1)25=025=25
or
352=(3x4)25=1225
or
e.t.c
Highly creative!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 12:20am On Jan 02, 2015
agentofchange1:
greetings .....

happy new year

please help out with this. integral of ln(sinx) dx = ?
hi ben!
Let I=§In(sinz)dz,

let y=In(sinz).........(1.), dy/dz=cosz/sinz, so ,

I=§ytanz.dy............(2.) from (1.)

ey=sinz or e-2y=cosec2z

so that (e-2y-1)1/2=cotz so that (2.) becomes;

I=§y/(e-2y-1)1/2dy or

I=§ yey/(1-e2y)1/2dy

if we integrate by part by keepin y constant first we get;

I=-y(1-e2y)1/2+§(1-e2y)1/2dy

now let
H=§(1-e2y)1/2dy

let u=ey so that du/dy=u

Hence

H=§(1-u2)1/2du/u

Or

H=§(u-2-1)1/2du

now let u=cosw then du/dw=-sinw, Hence,
H=§tanw.-sinwdw

or

H=§-sin2w/cosw dw

=§(cos2w-1)/cosw dw

=§(cosw - 1/cosw) dw

=sinw-§1/cosw dw

let G=§1/cosw dw

=§cosw/cos2w dw

let k=sinw then dk/dw=cosw
hence
G=§1/(1-k2) dk

using partial fraction and resolvin we get

G=1/2 In[(1+k)/(1-k)]

= 1/2 In[(1+sinw)/(1-sinw)]

therefore
H=sinw-1/2 In[(1+sinw)/(1-sinw)]
but
I=-y(1-e2y)1/2+H
hence

I=-y(1-e2y)1/2+sinw-1/2 In[(1+sinw)/(1-sinw)]+Constant

where w=cos-1(ey)
and y=In(sinz)

simplifying further if u wish,

I=[1-In(sinz)]cosz +1/2 In[(1+cosz)/(1-cosz)]+constant
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 4:38pm On Jan 02, 2015
Laplacian:

PROOF;

given; sin(y'')+y'=0 or

cos(y" ) x y'" + y"=0 or

Q.E.D

hmmm. I can see the mathematics. But. . .

Let's take another look.

Given y'+y=0, differentiating both sides w.r.t. x gives a new differential equation
y''+y'=0.

It is really a heresy to say that both differential equations are equivalent since y'+y=0 has the solution y=C e-x, whereas y''+y'=0 has the solution y=C1+C2e-x.

Because y'+y=0 is easier to handle and it's solution satisfies y''+y'=0, I can not conclude that both differential equations has the same (general) solution.

So, I will say that the two differential equations you compared are not equivalent.

Or, what do you think?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by AlphaMaximus(m): 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2015
jackpot:

Let's take another look.

Given y'+y=0, differentiating both sides w.r.t. x gives a new differential equation
y''+y'=0.

It is really a heresy to say that both differential equations are equivalent since y'+y=0 has the solution y=C e-x, whereas y''+y'=0 has the solution y=C1+C2e-x.

Because y'+y=0 is easier to handle and it's solution satisfies y''+y'=0, I can not conclude that both differential equations has the same (general) solution.

So, I will say that the two differential equations you compared are not equivalent.

Or, what do you think?
cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by mathefaro(m): 5:38pm On Jan 02, 2015
jackpot:

Let's take another look.

y''+y'=0.

Or, what do you think?
Wait o, are you sure you're actually feminine?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
jackpot:

Let's take another look.

y''+y'=0.

Or, what do you think?

y should they not be equivalent?
Integration as we know is d inverse of differentiation. Does it not imply that if one differentiates a function and integrates it he should still have the same general solution? Let's use ur example.
Given
y'+y=0 after differentiating, y"+y'=0, should we not have same function (in a more general form) if we integrate? §y"dt+§y'dt=§0xdt so that y'+y=C1 and this is slightly more general and does no harm to the original function (in terms of generality). Let's solve the two equations; from dy/dt=C1-y
we get
dy/(C1-y)=dt so that
-In(C1-y)=t+K
or
C1-y=e-t-K
or
y=C1-e-Kxe-t
so that y=C1+C2e-t. This tells u how C1 came into the picture. And as i have explained above, the are one and the same. Questioning its validity amounts to doubtin if the following is true; given y=t2+3........(1.)
differentiate, y'=2t, now let's integrat d last to get y=t2+C............(2.)
and u say (1.) and (2.) are not the same? Leave it or take it INITIAL VALUE SETTLES EVERYTHING MY DEAR.
So on what ground do u accuse me of heresy, and what is the FOUNDATION of ur claim of inequivalence?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:23pm On Jan 02, 2015
Laplacian:

And u think initial values will not settle that?

take it or leave it. Stick 2 what u think is best.
Both differential equations won't even have the same number of initial conditions. The one you differentiated will need extra one initial condition.

For example, y'+y=0 needs only one initial condition before you obtain the particular solution free from arbitrary constants, whereas y''+y'=0 needs two initial conditions. So, i am thinking it makes them even far from being equivalent?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 9:47pm On Jan 02, 2015
jackpot:
Both differential equations won't even have the same number of initial conditions. The one you differentiated will need extra one initial condition.

For example, y'+y=0 needs only one initial condition before you obtain the particular solution free from arbitrary constants, whereas y''+y'=0 needs two initial conditions. So, i am thinking it makes them even far from being equivalent?
C1 came as a result of an integration (see above). So u are saying in essence that, differentiating a function and integratin the result will not yield the initial function.
Because i differentiate; y'+y=0 to get y"+y'=0 and i integrate this to get y'+y=C1
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:23am On Jan 03, 2015
Laplacian:

C1 came as a result of an integration (see above). So u are saying in essence that, differentiating a function and integratin the result will not yield the initial function.
Because i differentiate; y'+y=0 to get y"+y'=0 and i integrate this to get y'+y=C1
maybe in the world of cartoons(where things happen the way we want), we may say that y'+y=C is equivalent to y'+y=0 for all values of the constant C. wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 6:10am On Jan 03, 2015
jackpot:
maybe in the world of cartoons(where things happen the way we want), we may say that y'+y=C is equivalent to y'+y=0 for all values of the constant C. wink cheesy
everyone is entitled to his opinion
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 6:43am On Jan 03, 2015
Laplacian:

y should they not be equivalent?
Integration as we know is d inverse of differentiation. Does it not imply that if one differentiates a function and integrates it he should still have the same general solution? Let's use ur example.
Given
y'+y=0 after differentiating, y"+y'=0, should we not have same function (in a more general form) if we integrate? §y"dt+§y'dt=§0xdt so that y'+y=C1 and this is slightly more general and does no harm to the original function (in terms of generality). Let's solve the two equations; from dy/dt=C1-y
we get
dy/(C1-y)=dt so that
-In(C1-y)=t+K
or
C1-y=e-t-K
or
y=C1-e-Kxe-t
so that y=C1+C2e-t. This tells u how C1 came into the picture. And as i have explained above, the are one and the same. Questioning its validity amounts to doubtin if the following is true; given y=t2+3........(1.)
differentiate, y'=2t, now let's integrat d last to get y=t2+C............(2.)
and u say (1.) and (2.) are not the same? Leave it or take it INITIAL VALUE SETTLES EVERYTHING MY DEAR.
So on what ground do u accuse me of heresy, and what is the FOUNDATION of ur claim of inequivalence?
hmmm.

Suppose for contradiction that y'+y=0 is equivalent to y''+y'=0. By differentiating once more, we must have that y''+y'=0 is also equivalent to y'''+y''=0.

But these guys are an equivalence relation, so by transitivity,
y'+y=0 is equivalent to y''+y'=0 which is equivalent to y'''+y''=0 implies that y'+y=0 is equivalent to y'''+y''=0.
Now, y'+y=0 has the solution y=C-x, but y'''+y''=0 has the solution y=C1+C2x+C3e-x.
Are these two solutions equivalent? shocked

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2015
jackpot:
hmmm.

Suppose for contradiction that y'+y=0 is equivalent to y''+y'=0. By differentiating once more, we must have that y''+y'=0 is also equivalent to y'''+y''=0.

But these guys are an equivalence relation, so by transitivity,
y'+y=0 is equivalent to y''+y'=0 which is equivalent to y'''+y''=0 implies that y'+y=0 is equivalent to y'''+y''=0.
Now, y'+y=0 has the solution y=C-x, but y'''+y''=0 has the solution y=C1+C2x+C3e-x.
Are these two solutions equivalent? shocked
yes!
A simple substitution C1=C2=0 will pay the price. It stil boils down to initial value.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 7:12am On Jan 03, 2015
Laplacian:

yes!
A simple substitution C1=C2=0 will pay the price. It stil boils down to initial value.
using your logic,
y=Ce-x is equivalent to y=C1ex+C2e-x which is (again, by your logic) equivalent to y=Cex.

Then, by transitivity of an equivalence relation, y=Ce-x is equivalent to y=Cex.

Do you really believe that both solutions are equivalent? shocked
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 7:40am On Jan 03, 2015
jackpot:
using your logic,
y=Ce-x is equivalent to y=C1ex+C2e-x which is (again, by your logic) equivalent to y=Cex.

Then, by transitivity of an equivalence relation, y=Ce-x is equivalent to y=Cex.

Do you really believe that both solutions are equivalent? shocked
what extension of the D.E for y=Ce-x did u get the solution y=C1ex+C2e-x if u want to play by my logic?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 8:03am On Jan 03, 2015
hmmm. think am enjoying this. drama. as long it doesn't leads to something else .

hmm ride profs .

na wa ooo. Differential equations sha ..

^^hay guys those are. mathematical models that assume a real life phenomenon , why not use both model to solve a problem let's see what happens .?

just a suggestion sha ..

## just passing by

c.ya lera .

1luv
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:07am On Jan 03, 2015
Laplacian:

what extension of the D.E for y=Ce-x did u get the solution y=C1ex+C2e-x if u want to play by my logic?
since y'+y=0 is equivalent (you said so) to y''+y'=0, it is equivalent to y''+y'-(y'+y)=0, which is the same thing as y''-y=0.

The DE y''-y=0 now has the solution y=C1ex+C2e-x.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 9:05am On Jan 03, 2015
jackpot:
since y'+y=0 is equivalent (you said so) to y''+y'=0, it is equivalent to y''+y'-(y'+y)=0, which is the same thing as y''-y=0.

The DE y''-y=0 now has the solution y=C1ex+C2e-x.
but the solution of y'+y=0 always satisfies any of its extended D.E doesn't it? But the matter of the extended D.E's solution (y"-y=0) satisfying the original D.E (either y'+y=0 or y'-y=0) is decided by initial value. The values on ex are not on e-x, so with d initial value inputed in the solution of the extended D.E, either C1 or C2=0 as appropriate. Turning tables around, i ask u; if the D.E y'+sin(y" )=0 is of infinite degree, why should the D.E obtained from it have degree 2?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
Laplacian:

but the solution of y'+y=0 always satisfies any of its extended D.E doesn't it? But the matter of the extended D.E's solution (y"-y=0) satisfying the original D.E (either y'+y=0 or y'-y=0) is decided by initial value. The values on ex are not on e-x, so with d initial value inputed in the solution of the extended D.E, either C1 or C2=0 as appropriate. Turning tables around, i ask u; if the D.E y'+sin(y" )=0 is of infinite degree, why should the D.E obtained from it have degree 2?
There's no theorem saying that if you differentiate a DE, the degree will increase or decrease. In other words, there is no theorem comparing the degree of a DE with that of the differentiated DE. So, you shouldn't compare both degrees.

Maybe you're trying to draw analogy from the fact that the difference between the order of a DE and with that of the differentiated DE is 1.

Catch my drift, Sir?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2015
jackpot:
There's no theorem saying that if you differentiate a DE, the degree will increase or decrease. In other words, there is no theorem comparing the degree of a DE with that of the differentiated DE. So, you shouldn't compare both degrees.

Maybe you're trying to draw analogy from the fact that the difference between the order of a DE and with that of the differentiated DE is 1.

Catch my drift, Sir?
i catch ur drift ma. But, with due respect, just because u've not seen a theorem on that does not erase d fact that it does exist. And do i always need a theorem to confirm what i know?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tohero(m): 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
Battle of the Titans! grin

They made me thought if I ever sat in a mathematics class.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Emmafe(m): 1:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
Do you need any information or need to be enlightened on
OAU admission,visit the school social website
www.oaucampus.com to get all necessary information
from stalites to get ready for the admission race.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
Evaluate

|5 1 0 0 0|
|1 4 0 1 2|
|3 2 1 4 0|
|0 1 2 1 0|
|1 2 0 1 2|
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
tohero:

no be small tin oo
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nastydroid(m): 8:34pm On Jan 04, 2015
tohero:

no be only you
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tohero(m): 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2015
Nastydroid:
no be only you
agentofchange1:

no be small tin oo
All is well. At least we sabi count 1, 2, 3... So we arnt getting freaked!

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.