Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (478916 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 9:03pm On Aug 26, 2015
jackpot:
please, kindly show full workings.

ur own na 2 just dey post problems n tag people but u scarcely help others in solving dias

i could av post solutions to some of ur problems even if i av limited ideas cud av done all possible .

but feels lazy/discouraged to do so
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by chezholy(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2015
Concerning that probability issue,
Three digit numbers will have unit's, ten's and hundred's place.

Out of 5 given digits any one can take the unit's place.

This can be done in 5 ways ------- (i)
After filling the unit's place, any of the four remaining digits can take the ten's place.
This can be done in 4 ways ------- (ii)
After filling in ten's place, hundred's place can be filled from any of the three remaining digits.
This can be done in 3 ways ------- (iii)
=> By counting principle, the number of 3 digit numbers =5×4×3= 60

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by chezholy(m): 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2015
when I did mine, I got 24/60. which is 2/5.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by chezholy(m): 9:50pm On Aug 26, 2015
when I did mine, I got 24/60. which is 2/5.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Seamione(m): 10:15pm On Aug 26, 2015
chezholy:
when I did mine, I got 24/60.
which is 2/5.
Did you consider both multiple of 5, odd number and the formula for independent events?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by chezholy(m): 10:23pm On Aug 26, 2015
Seamione:
Did you consider both multiple of 5, odd number and the formula for independent events?
I did.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Seamione(m): 10:25pm On Aug 26, 2015
chezholy:

I did.
Cool, that's what I also did

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by chezholy(m): 10:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
Seamione:
Cool, that's what I also did
Ya. That is it. *thumbs up*

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:25am On Aug 27, 2015
personal59:

2) The function f is known to have a second derivative with the property that /f"(x)/ < 12
For x between 2 and 3. Using the error bound giving earlier in this section determine how many sub intervals are required so that the composite trapezieum rule used to approximate integral 5-2 f(x)dx

4) The function f is known to have a forth derivative with the property that f^(iv) (x)<6
For x between -1 and 5. Determine how many sub intervals are required so that the composite trapezium rule use to approximate integral 5 - (-2) f(x)dx incurs an error that is less than 0.001.
There is no error bound in question 2.

Question 4 looks... strange.
Usually the fourth derivative is used to calculate the error bound using Simpson's Rule, but it is required here to use the Trapezoid Rule.
Should I go ahead and use the formula for Simpson's Rule here?
Or is there something I'm missing.
AgentOfChange1, Can you help out?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:47am On Aug 27, 2015
jackpot:
please, kindly show full workings.

x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2 = 1
(assuming semimajor axis length a, semiminor axis length b, center (0, 0), and rotation angle 0°)

The center h, is given by:
(cd-bf)/(b^2 - ac )
The center k is given by:
(af -bd )/(b^2 -ac)

where d, f are gotten from the quadratic curve

a^2 -b^2 = c^2 where c is the focus on either side.

Sleepy....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 6:28am On Aug 27, 2015
Karmanaut:

There is no error bound in question 2.

Question 4 looks... strange.
Usually the fourth derivative is used to calculate the error bound using Simpson's Rule, but it is required here to use the Trapezoid Rule.
Should I go ahead and use the formula for Simpson's Rule here?
Or is there something I'm missing.
AgentOfChange1, Can you help out?

Ok pls can we assume error bound for question 2 so that wen I see one with error bound I will b able to solve it the exam is tomorrow thanks bro and also the question 4 is correct that's what the question state
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:21am On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

ur own na 2 just dey post problems n tag people but u scarcely help others in solving dias

i could av post solutions to some of ur problems even if i av limited ideas cud av done all possible .

but feels lazy/discouraged to do so
ok. Thank God you said scarcely, not completely. My time here is somehow irregular. Most of the times, I come to see new questions and solutions. If I see an unsolved one that is not too trivial and interests me, then I'll go for it. Questions like Perm and Combination, simultaneous solution of 4x+6y=100 and x+y=5 do not interest me.

Some of the questions that I post is for others to learn. Under normal circumstances, elementary university maths treat conic sections at the surface level. That question requires knowledge of rotation of axes. You'll agree with me that sometimes we do have an unnecessarily long solution. In other words, i'm looking for shorter solutions, that is why I seek for other people's POV.

Don't feel that you're doing me a favour by solving the question. It is not about me. Other peoples are learning too. Gracias.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2015
Karmanaut:

x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2 = 1
(assuming semimajor axis length a, semiminor axis length b, center (0, 0), and rotation angle 0°)

The center h, is given by:
(cd-bf)/(b^2 - ac )
The center k is given by:
(af -bd )/(b^2 -ac)

where d, f are gotten from the quadratic curve

a^2 -b^2 = c^2 where c is the focus on either side.

Sleepy....
ok, it is after 8 already.

Brother, wake up wake up wake up cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:00am On Aug 27, 2015
jackpot:
ok. Thank God you said scarcely, not completely. My time here is somehow irregular. Most of the times, I come to see new questions and solutions. If I see an unsolved one that is not too trivial and interests me, then I'll go for it. Questions like Perm and Combination, simultaneous solution of 4x+6y=100 and x+y=5 do not interest me.

Some of the questions that I post is for others to learn. Under normal circumstances, elementary university maths treat conic sections at the surface level. That question requires knowledge of rotation of axes. You'll agree with me that sometimes we do have an unnecessarily long solution. In other words, i'm looking for shorter solutions, that is why I seek for other people's POV.

Don't feel that you're doing me a favour by solving the question. It is not about me. Other people are learning too. Gracias.

Aright dear i get your point,

BTW: look into that probability question i solved in the previous page , your honest mathematical input is required. tnx.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

BTW: look into that probability question i solved in the previous page , your honest mathematical input is required. tnx.

Pls bro can u help out on the question I post a page before this karmanaut he said he his aving problem with question 4 and call on u to help out he also include question two but I ask him to assume the error bound value so that I will b able to sove it wen eventually given in d exam thanks in anticipation
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2015
personal59:

Ok pls can we assume error bound for question 2 so that wen I see one with error bound I will b able to solve it the exam is tomorrow thanks bro and also the question 4 is correct that's what the question state

That's the General formula for error bound using trapezoid rule.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 1:19pm On Aug 27, 2015
personal59:

Pls bro can u help out on the question I post a page before this karmanaut he said he his aving problem with question 4 and call on u to help out he also include question two but I ask him to assume the error bound value so that I will b able to sove it wen eventually given in d exam thanks in anticipation

guess he has done it already.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2015
boss karmanaut , great works sir
kindly look into that probability question on the previous page
good day.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

guess he has done it already.

He did 1 and 3 But he said he doesnot understand question 4 especially how to go about solving it and he said question 2 does not have error bound so I said he should assume an error bound so that I will be able to solve if eventually given in exam with error bound too

So pls can u help me sove question 2 using an assumed error bound and also question 4.

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:
boss karmanaut , great works sir
kindly look into that probability question on the previous page
good day.
I can't be of help, sir. Combinatorics and Probability are not my forte.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 3:36pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

that question is the same as ''probability that it is an odd number.'' probability= event occurence/sample space.

We have three boxes to be filled with the figures 1,2,4,5,6 without replacement. The last box only has 2 choices 1 and 5.
So, if the last box is 1, then we feed the other two boxes with 4 figures. No of ways this can be done is 4P2=12
Occurence= 4P2*2=24.
Sample space is 5P3=60

probability = 24/60=2/5.

Hmmmmmmmm. Someone should correct me, please.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2015
personal59:

He did 1 and 3 But he said he doesnot understand question 4 especially how to go about solving it and he said question 2 does not have error bound so I said he should assume an error bound so that I will be able to solve if eventually given in exam with error bound too

So pls can u help me sove question 2 using an assumed error bound and also question 4.

Thanks

ok sir

we gat basically two types of errors when using trapezoidal rule

local error ,

e = -1/12 *h^3 f' ' '(α) : x1<α<x2

&
Global error ,

e= -1/12 * n f' ' ' (α) : x1<α<xn

guess this helps

brb leme recheck the question behind.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

ok sir

local error ,

&
Global error ,

guess this helps

You used the third derivative?
Isn't it the second derivative for the trapezoid rule and the fourth derivative for Simpson's rule?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2015
Karmanaut:

You used the third derivative?
Isn't it the second derivative for the trapezoid rule and the fourth derivative for Simpson's rule?

no bro,

that's it, wanna see the proof. ?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 6:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

ok sir

local error ,

&
Global error ,

guess this helps

Thanks bros I need explanation and solution because I don't know it at all the man just drop the question at the last class of d semester saying we can't treat the topic cos we ran out of time saying go and solve this with. The topic we af treated atleast this will do
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 6:19pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

ok sir

local error ,

&
Global error ,

guess this helps

Thanks bros I need explanation and solution because I don't know it at all the man just drop the question at the last class of d semester saying we can't treat the topic cos we ran out of time saying go and solve this with. The topic we af treated atleast this will do

I possible bro u can help me write it and snap like dividing in 4places and post so I will b able to read
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:29pm On Aug 27, 2015
@personal59

www.google.com.ng/search?q=numerical+integration&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=HEXfVYzPJoX7aN_XmcgM

click on the site above n download d e copy, it really helps, u could understand well enough questions related to yours, seeing d exams is 2maro.

i don't wanna bring new formulas dat cud cause confusion,

leme advice u to just study ur notes carefully n all tests /assignments. u can't get all solutions from us here, at least my boss has done justice to some of ur problem.

this is how i could help on this

hope u get my gist..
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by personal59: 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:
@personal59

www.google.com.ng/search?q=numerical+integration&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=HEXfVYzPJoX7aN_XmcgM

click on the site above n download d e copy, it really helps, u could understand well enough questions related to yours, seeing d exams is 2maro.

i don't wanna bring new formulas dat cud cause confusion,

leme advice u to just study ur notes carefully n all tests /assignments. u can't get all solutions from us here, at least my boss has done justice to some of ur problem.

this is how i could help on this

hope u get my gist..

Thanks bro I do but it can't compound it cos I know other topics very well they are variable seperable, homogeneous, exact, all ODE so I know those ones very well so I just want to solve this four, know it and do it all who know what his compulsory question would be so I need to play safe too. But for other topics I av no problem with them

Just help me to solve the question I would b able to comprehend it
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Seamione(m): 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2015
jackpot:
that question is the same as ''probability that it is an odd number.'' probability= event occurence/sample space.

We have three boxes to be filled with the figures 1,2,4,5,6 without replacement. The last box only has 2 choices 1 and 5.
So, if the last box is 1, then we feed the other two boxes with 4 figures. No of ways this can be done is 4P2=12
Occurence= 4P2*2=24.
Sample space is 5P3=60

probability = 24/60=2/5.

Hmmmmmmmm. Someone should correct me, please.
You're absolutely correct and on point madam
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
personal59:

Thanks bro I do but it can't compound it cos I know other topics very well they are variable seperable, homogeneous, exact, all ODE so I know those ones very well so I just want to solve this four, know it and do it all who know what his compulsory question would be so I need to play safe too. But for other topics I av no problem with them
Just help me to solve the question I would b able to comprehend it
my left mind is wishing the guy drops Laplace Transform as the compulsory question lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:47pm On Aug 27, 2015
Seamione:
You're absolutely correct and on point madam
wow. I'm not always sure of this topic.

Seriously, na just brain I dey use answer Permutation and Combination problems. I dislike questions that I gaze for like 10 mins before attempting the solution. I prefer to start putting something down the first minute I look at the question, even if it will take me 30mins to solve. I call it Solution Assured.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2015
agentofchange1:

c'mmon bro, the question says no repetition

5C3 means total number of ways we could form the 3-digit number without repetition

421 (124) ,521(125) , 621( 126) already exist in the sample space.

Let me follow your argument to see if it holds water:
you gave your sample space as
S={(124),(125),(126),(245),(246),(145),
(156),(645),(641),(265)}.

Following your logic,
S={(124),(512),(126),(524),(246),(514),(156),(564),(164),(526)} because, for instance, 125 and 512 are the same numbers without repetition (whatever that means).

So, probability = 0/10=0.

Contradiction!

Class dismiss. Everybody go home. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.