Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (478330 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 8:47pm On Nov 22, 2015
uwc buddy , keep practicing,,,happy solving smiley
dprinz99:

tanks bro,datx a grt job.ah reali appreciate.
going tru dis problm,ah c DAT we sum pple r witch in mathz,(u inclusiv)
I solved to a certain point but didn't knw wen to apply d quad formula.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 9:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
The height h in feet of a model rocket above the ground t seconds after lift-off is given by
h(t) = −5t2 + 100t, if 0 ≤ t ≤ 20

And 0, if t > 20

1. Find and interpret h(10) and h(60).

2. Solve h(t) = 375 and interpret your answers.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 10:44pm On Nov 22, 2015
Madmathecian:
The height h in feet of a model rocket above the ground t seconds after lift-off is given by
h(t) = −5t2 + 100t, if 0 ≤ t ≤ 20

And 0, if t > 20

1. Find and interpret h(10) and h(60).

2. Solve h(t) = 375 and interpret your answers.
1)
h(10)=-5(10)2+100(10)
=-5(100)+1000
=500
implies that at t=10(tenth seconds), the rocket is 500feet in the air.
h(60)=0
because wen we insert dat into d equation we get a negative result.
and its not posible for a height to neative. dat implies dat at t=60 the rocket is already back to the ground and its at rest hence height is zero(0)

2)h(t)=375
implies
375=-5(t)2+100(t)
dividing tru by 5 givs
75=-t2+20t
making t2 positive by taking all values from the RHS to the LHS, we have
t2-20t+75=0
by factorization we av
t2-5t-15t+75=0
t(t-5)-15(t-5)=0
(t-5)(t-15)=0
thus t=5 or t=15
implies that
at the 5th seconds(t=5) the rocket was taking off(moving upward)
while at the 15th seconds(t=15) the rocket was already on its way back to the ground. grin grin grin grin
(not good at physics(always d C candidate) so pardon my poor interpretation)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 11:20pm On Nov 22, 2015
ladokuntlad:

1)
h(10)=-5(10)2+100(10)
=-5(100)+1000
=500
h(60)=0
and its not posible for a height to neative. dat implies dat at t=60 the rocket is already back to the ground and its at rest hence height is zero(0)

2)h(t)=375
implies
375=-5(t)2+100(t)
dividing tru by 5 givs
75=-t2+20t
t2-20t+75=0
by factorization we av
t2-5t-15t+75=0
t(t-5)-15(t-5)=0
(t-5)(t-15)=0
thus t=5 or t=15
implies that
while at the 15th seconds(t=15) the rocket was already on its way back to the ground. grin grin grin grin

It's not really physics, but Exponential Modelling in Mathematics.

Good job though.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2015
Find and simplify the diference quotients for the following functions

1. f(x) = x2 − x − 2

2. g(x) = 3/( 2x + 1)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by stlaibrowne(m): 11:30pm On Nov 22, 2015
ladokuntlad:

1)
h(10)=-5(10)2+100(10)
=-5(100)+1000
=500
h(60)=0

2)h(t)=375
implies
375=-5(t)2+100(t)
dividing tru by 5 givs
75=-t2+20t
t2-20t+75=0
by factorization we av
t2-5t-15t+75=0
t(t-5)-15(t-5)=0
(t-5)(t-15)=0
thus t=5 or t=15
implies that
Good job though but I don't totally agree with the h (60) interpretation because at t =60 the height is negative doesn't necessarily means the rocket is back to ground level it might as well means the time function is not valid for state or height of rocket at t=60
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 11:31pm On Nov 22, 2015
stlaibrowne:

Good job though but I don't totally agree with the h (60) interpretation because at t =60 the height is negative doesn't necessarily means the rocket is back to ground level it might as well means the time function is not valid for state or height of rocket at t=60

am 10000000000000000% sure the rocket is back to d ground
dats y h=0 at that point
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by stlaibrowne(m): 11:37pm On Nov 22, 2015
ladokuntlad:

am 10000000000000000% sure the rocket is back to d ground
dats y h=0 at that point

I am 100000000000000% sure you need to read the question again. Because actually at t=60 h is not zero but h=-12000 and that's not zero. Get my point ?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 11:42pm On Nov 22, 2015
stlaibrowne:

I am 100000000000000% sure you need to read the question again. Because actually at t=60 h is not zero but h=-12000 and that's not zero. Get my point ?
well in pure mathematics and some other mathematical methods question
we have something called boundary value problems(BVP) wich involves aving some constraints/conditions on a question.
Well i wont go further dan dat.

let the referees in the house come and second ur opinion or mine
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 11:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
@ Ladokuntlad, it is possible for height to be negative in physics particularly when an object is going up or down. If you get a negative height, it means the object is going against gavity( I.e moving up).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 11:50pm On Nov 22, 2015
naturalwaves:
@ Ladokuntlad, it is possible for height to be negative in physics particularly when an object is going up or down. If you get a negative height, it means the object is going against gavity( I.e moving up).
i strongly disagree as pertaining to this particular question above.
Why?
since some certain condition as been given so its already under a constraint, which cant make us say its going against gravity (-g) even at -g(going against gravity) we don't get our distance to b negative.
I stand to b corrected though.
Bt for dis particular question above.
d reason i gave is still very legit until someone comes here and give His/Her own clear reason
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
ladokuntlad:

i strongly disagree as pertaining to this particular question above.
Why?
since some certain condition as been given so its already under a constraint, which cant make us say its going against gravity (-g) even at -g(going against gravity) we don't get our distance to b negative.
I stand to b corrected though.
Bt for dis particular question above.
d reason i gave is still very legit until someone comes here and give His/Her own clear reason
Well, I am yet to check out the question itself, just saw where you wrote it can't be negative. Will check out the question tomorrow.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by stlaibrowne(m): 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
ladokuntlad:

well in pure mathematics and some other mathematical methods question
we have something called boundary value problems(BVP) wich involves aving some constraints/conditions on a question.
Well i wont go further dan dat.

let the referees in the house come and second ur opinion or mine

I understand boundary value as also we do set up elementary volume for some mathematical method. But in the case rocket is going up against gravity. And the operation is defined with a time function. Definitely it is possible the time function fail to work
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 12:02am On Nov 23, 2015
Madmathecian:

Find and simplify the diference quotients for the following functions

1. f(x) = x2 − x − 2

2. g(x) = 3/( 2x + 1)

Difference quotients is given by

f(x)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h

1)f(x)= x2 − x − 2
let us solve in bits for simplification
f(x+h)= (x+h)2 − (x+h) − 2
= (x2+2xh+h2)-x-h-2
Now lets put all dis into the difference quotients calling it a function k(x)
thus
k(x)=((x2+2xh+h2)-x-h-2-(x2 − x − 2))/h
=(2xh+h2-h)/h
=2x+h-1

2)
g(x) = 3/( 2x + 1)
K(x)=(3(2(x+h)+1)-1-3(2x+1)-1)/h
=(3/(2(x+h)+1)-3/(2x+1))/h
=((3(2x+1)-3(2(x+h)+1))/(2(x+h)+1)(2x+1)h)
=((6x+3-6x-6h-3)/(2(x+h)+1)(2x+1)h)
=-6h/(2(x+h)+1)(2x+1)h
=-6/(2(x+1)+1)(2x+1)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 12:55am On Nov 23, 2015
stlaibrowne:

Not that I don't understand you but you should read what ladokuntlad wrote above succinctly, they ar constraints in exponential modelling.
H(60) is zero because of the strict inequality in the problem above.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 23, 2015
stlaibrowne:

I think you should be the one to read the question. Ladokuntlad is very correct. The height function is a parabola. It was also stated in the question that h(t)=0 when t>20. my question to you is, is 60 greater than 20? if yes please apologize to Ladokuntlad (lol). It is worth adding that at t=0 and 20 the height is zero.(this implies it goes up reaches its maximum at t=10 before coming down) the function is also symmetric. Pls try to read questions and understand the interpretation before solving. Cheers

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by stlaibrowne(m): 7:44am On Nov 23, 2015
masperano:

I think you should be the one to read the question. Ladokuntlad is very correct. The height function is a parabola. It was also stated in the question that h(t)=0 when t>20. my question to you is, is 60 greater than 20? if yes please apologize to Ladokuntlad (lol). It is worth adding that at t=0 and 20 the height is zero.(this implies it goes up reaches its maximum at t=10 before coming down) the function is also symmetric. Pls try to read questions and understand the interpretation before solving. Cheers

Yeah sure I just read the question again at t>20 h will always be zero.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ladokuntlad(m): 11:22am On Nov 23, 2015
Madmathecian:

Not that I don't understand you but you should read what ladokuntlad wrote above succinctly, they ar constraints in exponential modelling.
H(60) is zero because of the strict inequality in the problem above.
masperano:

Tank u my brodas oo.
Even if i no sabi physics or word problem.
I really tried in dis case
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:45am On Nov 25, 2015
ladokuntlad:

1)
h(10)=-5(10)2+100(10)
=-5(100)+1000
=500
h(60)=0

[/b]
actually h(60)=0 ONLY because of the stated boundary condition, not for ANY of the reasons u stated...have a nice day&kudos
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 5:53am On Nov 25, 2015
stlaibrowne:

ur interpretation is right sir...nice criticism!!!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 3:02pm On Nov 25, 2015
Setting the record straight. Weldone Laplacian for the mopping up.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 25, 2015
it might as well means the time function is not valid for state or height of rocket at t=60

Laplacian:

ur interpretation is right sir...nice criticism!!!

I vehemently disagree with this, the interpretation is wrong. Even if we assume there is no boundary condition (i.e h(t)#0 when t>20). h(60) being negative can be interpreted. (It simply means you are on the cliff when you shoot the rocket, and by time 20 units the rocket reaches the height of the cliff before descending (i.e it is 12000 units below the cliff at time 60 units).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 25, 2015
So I have a joke great mathematicians(told by my pde lecturer(he is Russian)).

A team of Engineers from England visited Germany and they saw a black goat. They came back and said "all goats are black in Germany"

Next a team of Physicist visited Germany and they saw a black goat.They came back and said "there is one black goat in Germany".

Finally a team of Mathematicians visited Germany and saw a black goat. They came back and said. "There exist at least one black goat in Germany which is black".

Moral of the story always check the rightness of your statement as a scientist.

Cheers my people
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by iameugene(m): 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2015
K
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by MathsChic(f): 7:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
masperano:
So I have a joke great mathematicians(told by my pde lecturer(he is Russian)).

A team of Engineers from England visited Germany and they saw a black goat. They came back and said "all goats are black in Germany"

Next a team of Physicist visited Germany and they saw a black goat.They came back and said "there is one black goat in Germany".

Finally a team of Mathematicians visited Germany and saw a black goat. They came back and said. "There exist at least one black goat in Germany which is black".

Moral of the story always check the rightness of your statement as a scientist.

Cheers my people

Only a mathematician can tell such joke, cos it's all in favour of mathematicians. Funny, clever joke cheesy

Today I was thinking something. The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is a number that doesn't occur in nature any other way, besides as a ratio of circumference to diameter. Isn't that just spectacular? Or am I wrong? Does it have other occurences?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by petengine(m): 11:43pm On Nov 25, 2015
Y=10cos(at)exp(-mt) .
use newton raphson method to determine the time when the displacement fall to 4.5
m=0.7, a=4.5
initial guess ti=0.1

thanks all
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 26, 2015
MathsChic:

Only a mathematician can tell such joke, cos it's all in favour of mathematicians. Funny, clever joke cheesy

Today I was thinking something. The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is a number that doesn't occur in nature any other way, besides as a ratio of circumference to diameter. Isn't that just spectacular? Or am I wrong? Does it have other occurences?

Yea good question, this month i randomly bumped into a paper that stated how some Rochester University physicists by serendipity discovered the number Pi(i had thought it was always associated with geometric figures) in quantum mechanics while calculating the energy state of hydrogen atom.

You may want to take a look at this website: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/theres-a-hidden-connection-between-pi-and-quantum-mechanics/ or better still download the article from here: http://scitation.aip.org/docserver/fulltext/aip/journal/jmp/56/11/1.4930800.pdf?expires=1448498047&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=F3D4695391CC583C50ECDCDA779B6C74

The size of the article is beyond the allowable size on Nairaland else i would have attached it.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by LordPherule(m): 5:04am On Nov 26, 2015
iameugene:
Join our jamb whatsapp group num: 07019747550
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by LordPherule(m): 5:08am On Nov 26, 2015
Since I've been studying Mathematics, I just realised there is cramming in Mathematics in my 3rd year. It suck!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 9:48am On Nov 26, 2015
LordPherule:
Since I've been studying Mathematics, I just realised there is cramming in Mathematics in my 3rd year. It suck!

Oh, words are not enough to describe how much I hate cramming. Especially when it comes to definitions.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by saipn: 11:42am On Nov 26, 2015
Gurus help me solve dis set question
1)A company employs 100 people,65 of whom are men. 60 people,including all the women,are paid weekly.How many of the men are paid weekly?
2)In a village all the people speak hausa or English or both.97% speak hausa and 64% speak English,what percentage speak both languages?
3)In a survey of villagers,it is found that 20% of the people have visited kano and 25%have visited portharcourt. If 5% have been to both cities,what percentage have visited neither place?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by thankyouJesus(m): 1:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
saipn:
Gurus help me solve dis set question
1)A company employs 100 people,65 of whom are men. 60 people,including all the women,are paid weekly.How many of the men are paid weekly?
2)In a village all the people speak hausa or English or both.97% speak hausa and 64% speak English,what percentage speak both languages?
3)In a survey of villagers,it is found that 20% of the people have visited kano and 25%have visited portharcourt. If 5% have been to both cities,what percentage have visited neither place?
1. 25.
2. 61%.
3. 60%

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.