Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (246) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (478723 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 1:04am On Sep 15, 2017
Continued. CC: masperano

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:59am On Sep 15, 2017
naturalwaves:

Bro, you are still wrong, X > -2/3, x >4/3 is the correct set. This means that -2/3 < X > 4/3. If you look at this, it looks disjoint because we could then just say that X > 4/3 since it is greater than -2/3 as well. In such cases, rather than write X> -2/3 or X > 4/3 which is the same as -2/3 < X > 4/3, the proper way of writing it when such situation occurs is -2/3 < X < 0, X> 4/3.The only mistake I made was not to split it with the "0" interval. Therefore correct answer is -2/3 < X <0, X> 4/3

Quick check.: -2/3 is approximately -0.667 which is approximately -0.7. The set of values that will satisfy my answers for part 1 are all numbers that are greater than this(-0.7) but less than 0. Examples of such are; -0.5,-0.4,-0.3,-0.2,-0.1 etc. You can try as much as you want.
Note: All trials must be checked with the initially given inequation and not the quadratics you are trying it out with.

I even used online tools and inequality solvers online to crossycheck and this was what they showed.

Dear Naturalwaves please find my response interspersed in yours.

Bro, you are still wrong, X > -2/3, x >4/3 is the correct set.

This is not a matter of right and wrong. I still do not know if you are just playing the game of right and wrong or you honestly do not understand what is involved in solving quadratic inequality (you tend to solve it as though you are solving quadratic equation ). I will pretend it is latter: this is the only way i can motivate myself to respond to you and also so that other persons in the forum can get one or two from it as i have from other responses in this forum. So let me dive right into it. I repeat your solution is wrong for the quadratic inequality (which was what caught my eye in your previous handwritten solution) and even for the question.

First you solved a quadratic inequality 9x^2-6x-8>0 and you rightly factorized it as (3x+2)(3x-4)>0 now this is where you went wrong: writing 3x+2>0 or 3x-4>0 solving for x and saying that is the solution of the aforementioned quadratic inequality. This IS INCORRECT. One has to be careful and be intuitive about it rather than solving it methodically. The only way that quadratic can be greater than zero is if (3x+2)>0 AND (3x-4)>0 OR (3x+2)<0 AND (3x-4)<0((-) x (-) =+). If you solve with the first condition you get what you obtained which is (x>-2/3 and x>4/3) now this you can collapse to mean (x>4/3). Now we apply the second condition which is ((3x+2)<0 AND (3x-4)<0) and we get (x<-2/3 and x<4/3) which simply means (x<-2/3). This implies that your solution set is (x<-2/3 and x>4/3). Go back to my first response to you, you will see when i said explicitly that pretending your quadratic was correct (there was a reason for that statement, if you still doubt me try using your online inequality software to check for the quadratic inequality and post it here). I do not know if you are familiar with the above technique i used but i will pay you the compliment that you are, either way that is how you solve quadratic inequality.

Now lets go to the real question.

If you look at this, it looks disjoint because we could then just say that X > 4/3 since it is greater than -2/3 as well. In such cases, rather than write X> -2/3 or X > 4/3 which is the same as -2/3 < X > 4/3, the proper way of writing it when such situation occurs is -2/3 < X < 0, X> 4/3.The only mistake I made was not to split it with the "0" interval. Therefore correct answer is [b]-2/3 < X <0, X> 4/3[/b]

This is factually inaccurate I suspect you know this but again let me pretend you do not know... x>4/3 x>-2/3, can never be written as -2/3 < X < 0, X> 4/3, please do not mislead people all in the quest to prove you are correct (respectable scientist do not). If you know me i have huge respect for scientist who admit that they are wrong when they realise they are(even Einstein admitted on occasions (on quantum mechanics and adding his cosmological constant to his fields equations in general relativity) ). Never put your ego ahead of objective truth. I am very willing to admit when i am wrong. The reason the solution of the question differ from the solution of your quadratic is because your quadratic inequality is not correct.

Attached is the real quadratic inequality of your first inequality.

Sorry for the scathing remarks.... I hold you to a very high standard, below which is unacceptable.

Cheers!

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 5:30am On Sep 15, 2017
masperano:

Dear Naturalwaves please find my response interspersed in yours.

Bro, you are still wrong, X > -2/3, x >4/3 is the correct set.

This is not a matter of right and wrong. I still do not know if you are just playing the game of right and wrong or you honestly do not understand what is involved in solving quadratic inequality (you tend to solve it as though you are solving quadratic equation ). I will pretend it is latter: this is the only way i can motivate myself to respond to you and also so that other persons in the forum can get one or two from it as i have from other responses in this forum. So let me dive right into it. I repeat your solution is wrong for the quadratic inequality (which was what caught my eye in your previous handwritten solution) and even for the question.

First you solved a quadratic inequality 9x^2-6x-8>0 and you rightly factorized it as (3x+2)(3x-4)>0 now this is where you went wrong: writing 3x+2>0 or 3x-4>0 solving for x and saying that is the solution of the aforementioned quadratic inequality. This IS INCORRECT. One has to be careful and be intuitive about it rather than solving it methodically.
There is nothing wrong with that. Inequalities can be solved as though they are real equestions and the intervals tested.

masperano:
only way that quadratic can be greater than zero is if (3x+2)>0 AND (3x-4)>0 OR (3x+2)<0 AND (3x-4)<0((-) x (-) =+). If you solve with the first condition you get what you obtained which is (x>-2/3 and x>4/3) now this you can collapse to mean (x>4/3).

Now we apply the second condition which is ((3x+2)<0 AND (3x-4)<0) and we get (x<-2/3 and x<4/3) which simply means (x<-2/3). This implies that your solution set is (x<-2/3 and x>4/3)
. You have lost touch with the concept.

masperano:

Now lets go to the real question.

If you look at this, it looks disjoint because we could then just say that X > 4/3 since it is greater than -2/3 as well. In such cases, rather than write X> -2/3 or X > 4/3 which is the same as -2/3 < X > 4/3, the proper way of writing it when such situation occurs is -2/3 < X < 0, X> 4/3.The only mistake I made was not to split it with the "0" interval. Therefore correct answer is [b]-2/3 < X <0, X> 4/3[/b]

This is factually inaccurate I suspect you know this but again let me pretend you do not know... x>4/3 x>-2/3, can never be written as -2/3 < X < 0, X> 4/3, please do not mislead people all in the quest to prove you are correct (respectable scientist do not). If you know me i have huge respect for scientist who admit that they are wrong when they realise they are(even Einstein admitted on occasions (on quantum mechanics and adding his cosmological constant to his fields equations in general relativity) ). Never put your ego ahead of objective truth. I am very willing to admit when i am wrong. The reason the solution of the question differ from the solution of your quadratic is because your quadratic inequality is not correct.
This is not a matter of proving right and wrong. Every thing can be subjected to critisims and amendments made where necessary but in this case you have failed to make a valid objection.
masperano:

Attached is the real quadratic inequality of your first inequality.
The question was not to solve the quadratics but to solve the given inequation and find values that can satisfy that. Whatever answer you get should be cross checked with the main question.

masperano:
for the scathing remarks.... I hold you to a very high standard, below which is unacceptable.

Cheers!

Honestly, nothing is scathering about your remarks, it is an intellectual debate and all forms of disagreements are welcomed provided they can be proved. Now, Mr. masperano, let us carry out a simple test of your solution.

Your solution states that, X < -2/3 which implies X < -0.7. Let us pick a value that is less than -0.7 say -0.9 and substitute it into 1/(3x) + 1/4 < (3x)/8. By this, we will obtain -0.12 < -0.33 which is wrong because -0.12 is actually > -0.33.

Let us try -0.8 as well into the question. We will obtain,
-0.16 < - 0.3 which again is not true because -0.16 is > -0.3.
As you can see, these two simple checks alone shows that your solution is wrong and the answer can never be X< -2/3 and so I do not agree with you.

Betterstill , explain why your solution does not fit when checked with the question grin Thanks

I repeat, the correct solution to the inequation is -2/3<X <0, X> 4/3
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 15, 2017
naturalwaves:

There is nothing wrong with that. Inequalities can be solved as though they are real equestions and the intervals tested.

This is not a matter of proving right and wrong. Every thing can be subjected to critisims and amendments made where necessary but in this case you have failed to make a valid objection.

The question was not to solve the quadratics but to solve the given inequation and find values that can satisfy that. Whatever answer you get should be cross checked with the main question.

Honestly, nothing is scathering about your remarks, it is an intellectual debate and all forms of disagreements are welcomed provided they can be proved. Now, Mr. masperano, let us carry out a simple test of your solution.

Your solution states that, X < -2/3 which implies X < -0.7. Let us pick a value that is less than -0.7 say -0.9 and substitute it into 1/(3x) + 1/4 < (3x)/8. By this, we will obtain -0.12 < -0.33 which is wrong because -0.12 is actually > -0.33.

As you can see, these two simple checks alone shows that your solution is wrong and the answer can never be X< -2/3 and so I do not agree with you.

Betterstill , explain why your solution does not fit when checked with the question grin Thanks

It is is either my response clearly went over your head or you are just purposely being intellectually dishonest. This will be my last response on this.... Let me make it very clear now.

1) My solution was to your quadratic inequality (9x^2-6x-8>0); your solution to that was x>-2/3, x>4/3 which is wrong, the correct solution is x<-2/3 and x>4/3. (Check the solution provided my Mathematica i attached ).

2) You used an online inequality software to get the actual solution to the original inequality but it is very obvious to me or to any one with a brain on his or her shoulders that you have no clue how they arrived at the solution, but instead to admit you do not know, you now tried to deceptively seek an equivalence of the original inequality solution to your erroneous solution by saying x>-2/3, x>4/3 is the same as -2/3<x<0 and x>4/3, claiming you have to split it by zero or whatever that means... this is at best laughable and further exposes your ignorance (when you are in a hole stop digging!).
I attached the true quadratic inequality of the original inequality when simplified which is (x(8+6x-9x^2)<0) which is clearly different from the quadratic you got. Now solving this quadratic Inequality you get -2/3<x<0,x>4/3 (The solution you claimed that is equal to yours). Very very dishonest.

Two things you got wrong: The very first simplification you got wrong... I even overlooked that grin... and you still got the solution of your wrong simplification wrong( grin grin grin) (which i provided the correct solution to). But because of your huge ego... you want to con people to believe that solution to the original inequality and yours are equal (This is what I find unacceptable). Take a look at your handwritten solution to that problem and tell me you still believe in what you did grin grin grin grin grin .

The solution to the original problem is -2/3<x<0, x>4/3

The solution to your quadratic inequality (9x^2-6x-8>0) (which you got by erroneously simplifying the original problem) is x< - 2/3 , x>4/3

The real simplification to the original inequality is (x(8+6x-9x^2)<0) in which the solution is -2/3<x<0, x>4/3.

Your solution x>-2/3 and x>4/3 is NOT equivalent to -2/3<x<0, x>4/3 as you deceptively claim.

Now i hope i am clear...

Cheers!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 8:39am On Sep 15, 2017
masperano:

It is is either my response clearly went over your head or you are just purposely being intellectually dishonest. This will be my last response on this.... Let me make it very clear now.

1) My solution was to your quadratic inequality (9x^2-6x-8>0); your solution to that was x>-2/3, x>4/3 which is wrong, the correct solution is x<-2/3 and x>4/3. (Check the solution provided my Mathematica i attached ).

2) You used an online inequality software to get the actual solution to the original inequality but it is very obvious to me or to any one with a brain on his or her shoulders that you have no clue how they arrived at the solution, but instead to admit you do not know, you now tried to deceptively seek an equivalence of the original inequality solution to your erroneous solution by saying x>-2/3, x>4/3 is the same as -2/3<x<0 and x>4/3, claiming you have to split it by zero or whatever that means... this is at best laughable and further exposes your ignorance (when you are in a hole stop digging!).
I attached the true quadratic inequality of the original inequality when simplified which is (x(8+6x-9x^2)<0) which is clearly different from the quadratic you got. Now solving this quadratic Inequality you get -2/3<x<0,x>4/3 (The solution you claimed that is equal to yours). Very very dishonest.

Two things you got wrong: The very first simplification you got wrong... I even overlooked that grin... and you still got the solution of your wrong simplification wrong( grin grin grin) (which i provided the correct solution to). But because of your huge ego... you want to con people to believe that solution to the original inequality and yours are equal (This is what I find unacceptable). Take a look at your handwritten solution to that problem and tell me you still believe in what you did grin grin grin grin grin .

The solution to the original problem is -2/3<x<0, x>4/3

The solution to your quadratic inequality (9x^2-6x-8>0) (which you got by erroneously simplifying the original problem) is x< - 2/3 , x>4/3

The real simplification to the original inequality is (x(8+6x-9x^2)<0) in which the solution is -2/3<x<0, x>4/3.

Your solution x>-2/3 and x>4/3 is NOT equivalent to -2/3<x<0, x>4/3 as you deceptively claim.

Now i hope i am clear...

Cheers!
You are honestly very funny. I was not dishonest in anyway and stop using that term. I solved a quadratic equation and got disjointed values. I checked with your query and saw that it does not satisfy(check my previous posts) and I decided to check up online and even see the correct solution.When they placed the intervals, I thought it was done that way because of the disjointed values. It is you who was trying to be clever by half because you claimed the solution to the quadratic is wrong and even wrong for the question. This was what you wrote.

masperano:

This is not a matter of right and wrong. I still do not know if you are just playing the game of right and wrong or you honestly do not understand what is involved in solving quadratic inequality (you tend to solve it as though you are solving quadratic equation ). I will pretend it is latter: this is the only way i can motivate myself to respond to you and also so that other persons in the forum can get one or two from it as i have from other responses in this forum. So let me dive right into it. I repeat your solution is wrong for the quadratic inequality (which was what caught my eye in your previous handwritten solution) and even for the question
At least, one thing is clear and we can agree on the following
1. The correct answer to the original problem is -2/3 < X <0, X> 4/3
2. Yes, I may not have solved the derived quadratic expression well as there was no total agreement with the first problem and the derived quadratic.

Your mistake: You gave the impression that the final solution was wrong for even the first problem only for you to say otherwise with the mathematica. What you could have easily said is that the answer was correct but the derived quadratic is wrong and then go on to find out the reason for the disjoint. Why don't you try and work out the whole problem from the beginning and let me see your approach. We all learn everyday. So, this is not a matter of ego play. Do you get me?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by bolaji3071(m): 2:23pm On Sep 15, 2017
Find the ratio in which J(6,4) and K(-8,-14) divide the line segment joining P(-6,-4) and Q(10, cool

Please I need help with this question.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by bolaji3071(m): 2:24pm On Sep 15, 2017
Find the ratio in which J(6,4) and K(-8,-14) divide the line segment joining P(-6,-4) and Q(10, 8.)

naturalwaves

masperano
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 10:29pm On Sep 15, 2017
The points J,K,P and Q do not lie on the same line as the gradients of any pair differ from the other. I think you should check the coordinates again and repost.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by bolaji3071(m): 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2017
Mechanics96:
The points J,K,P and Q do not lie on the same line as the gradients of any pair differ from the other. I think you should check the coordinates again and repost.

That is the right question bro.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 16, 2017
[quote author=naturalwaves post=60471812]

[/quote

The solution to this is X less than -2/3 or X greater than 4/3... There is something we call sign test. Google it
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Aybalance: 5:32pm On Sep 17, 2017
grin grin.Okay.Thanks 4 the help.But i wanna ask if physics questions are welcomed @naturalwaves
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2017
bolaji3071:

That is the right question bro.

Well, it may be typographical error somewhere, but the question isn't right! The prove is not far fetched if you're still in doubt, I can solve questions for you on that, taken from well known textbooks.... Best wishes
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by bolaji3071(m): 11:07pm On Sep 17, 2017
Mechanics96:

Well, it may be typographical error somewhere, but the question isn't right! The prove is not far fetched if you're still in doubt, I can solve questions for you on that, taken from well known textbooks.... Best wishes

OK thanks, I would appreciate if you can solve something similar to that question so I can no the actual procedure.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 9:20am On Sep 18, 2017
Aybalance:
grin grin.Okay.Thanks 4 the help.But i wanna ask if physics questions are welcomed @naturalwaves
I will try the ones I can lay my hands on grin.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 9:52am On Sep 18, 2017
bolaji3071:

OK thanks, I would appreciate if you can solve something similar to that question so I can no the actual procedure.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 9:58am On Sep 18, 2017
cont.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2017
contd:

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 10:01am On Sep 18, 2017
and finally; I hope it's clear

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
naturalwaves:

The answer is wrong then. Not everything you see in a book is correct.
Hello bros, your method is quite not right too.I am saying this considering the fact that books can be wrong, there is a little problem in your logic of your solution to this problem.We don't usually solve loan problems such as these the same way we solve simple interest on a principal savings.Don't you think that given the ease with which you solved the problem, the author could have easily gotten that too.My method is a little tedious but effective, if i find a more compact 1, i will post later.First you must understand that the value of the loan you are to pay per month changes depending on how much you pay per month.So for example for a loan of 50000 naira, if i pay 2000 naira in the first month, i will have a loan of 50000+0.01(50000)-2000=48500(note that the rate 0.01 used is equivalent to 0.12 per annum) , that is i will have a total loan of 48500 to offset, next month.Now the question wants you to calculate the constant amount you have to pay per month,so that by the end of the 36th month you have paid the accumulated loan.It was a little complicated trying to solve the problem from the first month, so i decided to begin from the end of the 36th month, where total loan is zero through to the 1st month.Attached is the solution.I hope the guy who posted the question can see this too.So the answer provided by the book is approximately right afterall.
Pardon my handwriting.
[b]MODIFIED[/b]monthly installment=y=1660.715 naira,THE SECOND IS THE MODIFIED VERSION

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2017
bolaji3071:
Find the ratio in which J(6,4) and K(-8,-14) divide the line segment joining P(-6,-4) and Q(10, 8.)

naturalwaves

masperano

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2017
Kindly show ur anser by typing it. For others to gain knowledge written it in a piece of paper is not a great idea
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by vs4ever(m): 12:01am On Sep 20, 2017
Nna eh! If I know Maths like una rapture go take place. Can any of you be coming to my Maths seminar? Lets talk tet a tet 08166040539
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 20, 2017
Maths?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Aybalance: 11:34am On Sep 20, 2017
naturalwaves:

I will try the ones I can lay my hands on grin.
ok boss.Is there is any connetion between capacitor and resistor,cus am confused.In a d.C circuit a 10mf capacitor is placed in series with 10ohm resistor.What is the total restance.Thanks
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 3:55pm On Sep 21, 2017
afo7219:
Pls guys help me solve this calculation wit explanations.
Alhaji bello has 36months car loan of #50,000 @ 12% interest rate per annum. What is the MONTHLY loan repayment?
scroll up , i attached a solution, it coincides with the answer provided in the book
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2017
Good to see that this thread is still active... with fresh gurus trooping in... cool
There are plans to organize a math quiz next month.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2017
CC: masperano,naturalwaves
I only need a contradiction to prove that a solution is wrong.
Let us test ur solution naturalwaves.
You insist that , the solution to the inequality 1/(3x)+1/4<(3x)/8 is x>-2/3,x>4/3, so we generalize this to the open interval(-2/3,∞)
1 satisfies the above interval, substituting it into the original equation, we have 7/12<3/8, which is false, this is where you had a problem, in your original solution(in pen), you wrote x>-2/3 or x>4/3, now this logic is inconsistent with the inequality (3x+2)(3x-4)>0, it should have been x>-2/3 and x>4/3, which implies x>4/3, the individual solutions x>-2/3,x>4/3 satisfy the equations on the left respectively and independently, but remember we only require the product of the 2 equations to be less than 0(you lost otuch of that while solving the problem), our individual solutions must be combined.
Masperano, apparently, you have a different solution, x<-2/3 or x>4/3, unfortunately your solution is wrong too,let's assume you are right, natural waves tried to test your solution, and he rightly tested it, though -2/3 is not -0.7, it is -0.66666666666666666...., but -0.9<-2/3, so naturalwaves' test number was correct.What appeals to me is a solution that work's not the mathematical formality.You were both wrong because your analysis was wrong, 1 half of your solution was right:x>4/3,but the other:x<-2/3 is wrong, you forget something, in your initial problem, the highest degree of x is 1, hence there is likely only 1 solution,but your intermediate solution, 36x^2-24x-32>0 has two distinct solutions,it isp ossible that only, one of the solutions of the intermediate step satisfies the main problem.To show this you will realize that the test number -0.9 satisfies the intermediate solution, but does not satisfy the main problem, which natural waves used in testing your solution. This might not have been the problem the poster intended, but nonetheless it is an interesting questions.Our solutions to problems usually depends on our inclination, some lay emphasis on mathematical formality others lay emphasis on solving the problem at hand.Whichever intermediate step you apply, your solution must satisfy your problem without condition.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mechanics96(m): 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2017
You've made your point, I don't think you need this anymore.

We're all learning!

naturalwaves come back if you're still following, masperano, I respect you two
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by captainbangz: 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
Iyon think so. Why because capacitors store charges while resistors impede charges. So i think the question is trynna sound tricky. But to me, the total resistance is 10ohms.
Aybalance:
ok boss.Is there is any connetion between capacitor and resistor,cus am confused.In a d.C circuit a 10mf capacitor is placed in series with 10ohm resistor.What is the total restance.Thanks
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 22, 2017
benji93:
You insist that , the solution to the inequality 1/(3x)+1/4<(3x)/8 is x>-2/3,x>4/3, so we generalize this to the open interval(-2/3,∞)
1 satisfies the above interval, substituting it into the original equation, we have 7/12<3/8, which is false, this is where you had a problem, in your original solution(in pen), you wrote x>-2/3 or x>4/3, now this logic is inconsistent with the inequality (3x+2)(3x-4)>0, it should have been x>-2/3 and x>4/3, which implies x>4/3, the individual solutions x>-2/3,x>4/3 satisfy the equations on the left respectively and independently, but remember we only require the product of the 2 equations to be less than 0(you lost otuch of that while solving the problem), our individual solutions must be combined.
Masperano, apparently, you have a different solution, x<-2/3 or x>4/3, unfortunately your solution is wrong too,let's assume you are right, natural waves tried to test your solution, and he rightly tested it, though -2/3 is not -0.7, it is -0.66666666666666666...., but -0.9<-2/3, so naturalwaves' test number was correct.What appeals to me is a solution that work's not the mathematical formality.You were both wrong because your analysis was wrong, 1 half of your solution was right:x>4/3,but the other:x<-2/3 is wrong, you forget something, in your initial problem, the highest degree of x is 1, hence there is likely only 1 solution,but your intermediate solution, 36x^2-24x-32>0 has two distinct solutions,it isp ossible that only, one of the solutions of the intermediate step satisfies the main problem.To show this you will realize that the test number -0.9 satisfies the intermediate solution, but does not satisfy the main problem, which natural waves used in testing your solution. This might not have been the problem the poster intended, but nonetheless it is an interesting questions.Our solutions to problems usually depends on our inclination, some lay emphasis on mathematical formality others lay emphasis on solving the problem at hand.Whichever intermediate step you apply, your solution must satisfy your problem without condition.

Oh no face palm not again.... I have to break my promise which is "not to respond to this again" (for the sake of posterity). benji93 please go back to my responses and read them very well. It is not about the solution to the problem (Mathematica can provide me with solution to inequations in 3 seconds). naturalwaves (by the way I like the bloke for his immense contribution to this forum) gave a handwritten solution to the inequation... derived a quadratic inequality from it and solved it but made a slight mistake which i pointed out to.... but in retrospect it seems he apparently misconstrued my solution to his quadratic inequality for the solution of the original inequation which I thought he was purposely intellectually trolling me because I made it clear it was for his derived quadratic (that is why i kept trying his solution to his quadratic inequality to see if it satisfies it rather than the inequation and also he was trying to extend the solution of his quadratic to the original inequation).

I really hope this will be my last response to this. Cheers!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
benji93:
Thank you so much for your response and analysis, it showed that you took out time to follow through. I appreciate your intellectual input and so sorry for the break on this thread. I have been getting home so late due to work and all. You got the exact thing that happened and put it succinctly. I really appreciate this.

When I tried solving the derived quadratic inequation and it was pointed to me that a part of it is wrong and the sign was converse, first thing I said was that I didn't violate the inequality rule and the sign should not be that . If my friend wanted to correct that, he was supposed to show another way of solving it which he did not. Rather, he asked me to test 0 in the quadratic inequation and and see that it does not satisfy my answer. I told him I just did and I truly saw that it does not satisfy. While thinking about it, I actually discovered that 0 cannot be used as a test because it will render the parent inequation undefined when slotted and so cannot even be used for the qaudratics as well. So, he brought other values.

For every of his suggested values, I tested them and told him it did not work. I suspected something was truly wrong with the my solution because my answers were disjointed and looked like a repetition since X greater than -2/3 and also greater than 4/3, I was like why not just say X greater than 4/3 is the unique answer(in my mind) . When I went online, all the solutions I saw says X greater than -2/3 but less than 0 and X greater than 4/3 are the solutions( the less than 0 part was the only difference in my solutions). So, I thought when there are disjointed values, the smaller one before 0 needs to be bounded by 0( As that seems to be the only explanation I could place). Meanwhile, he was emphasizing all the time that the values are wrong for both the quadratics and the parent equation even when I posted a solution through the programs. I tested all values within the given answers and they all worked. If he had said it is wrong for the quadratics but correct for the parent equation, it would have been a different thing entirely

After he tested the question on mathematica, the answers he brought out were same as the other programs I posted which he disagreed with previously. So, he shifted concentration on the quadratics again and started emphasizing that.

The only thing he did that got me slightly annoyed was the fact that he painted a picture of me arguing blindly which is not true because any time he says something, I usually consider it and test it. When I tested the values from his supposed answer, they were so wrong for the parent equation but he did not address the conflict when I told him, he turned away from it and concentrated on the qaudratic part. How can you get an answer that works for the quadratics but failing for the parent equation?? I believe if someone provides a solution and it is wrong, why not solve yours and ask me to check it out and we will all see and learn. There is no crime in that.

One part of the question has been answered. We all now know and agree that the solution is -2/3 < X <0, X> 4/3.
The other part has not been answered which is HOW? HOW WAS THIS ANSWER GOTTEN?? In my solution, I got -2/3<X, X> 4/3 with the missing 0 and up till now, I am yet to see a thorough solution apart from those where they will just open a wide interval between -2/3 and 4/3 and do several tests to see what values fit in before they came up with the " 0" boundary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.