Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,949 members, 7,799,222 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (477942 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by CohenJane: 10:49am On Jan 03, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Una say na "Mathematics" thread meanwhile all of una dey speak "English"

Some dey solve Indices, others dey solve Simultaneous equations...very soon another person go come solve Quadratic equations...abi na SS1 students dey here?

Wey the Engineers dem make we solve some First Order Differential Equations...and apply am to Fluid transfer and Thermodynamics

Meanwhile wey my Gala and La Casera?

Let us accommodate everyone. Or may be a separate thread for what you suggest. But let me say that we aren't mathematicians here, except if you had a Phd in mathematics and you have had your work published in at least 3 journals, that's when you are regarded as a mathematician. Gbam
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Tolzeal(m): 10:52am On Jan 03, 2013
Richiez:

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematically proving that a statement is true for all natural numbers i.e positive integers
it usually involves 2 basic steps;
1. showing that the statement is true when the lowest natural number is used e.g n=0 or n=1 (preferably)
2. showing that if the statement is true for any natural number n=k, then it is true for the next natural number n=k+1

let us do some examples;

1. prove by mathematical induction 1+2+3+4+.......+n+(n+1) = n(n+1)/2
SOLUTION
note that n represents the number of elements in the series
step 1---we have to show that the statement is true for n=1
1= 1(1+1)/2
1= 2/2
1=1 therefore since L.H.S = R.H.S the statement is true for n=1
we can even go ahead to show that the statement is true for any other small value of n, say n= 4
1+2+3+4 = 4(4+1)/2
10= 4(5)/2
10= 20/2
10= 10 therefore it is also true for n=4
next is step 2
here we shall consider an arbitrary value of n, say n=k and assume it is true
i.e 1+2+3+4+....+k = k(k+1)/2 ................(1)
if the above statement is true, then the final step is to show that it is also true for n= k+1
1+2+3+4+....+k+(k+1) = (k+1)(k+1+1)/2
1+2+3+4+....+k+(k+1) = (k+1)(k+2)/2 ...............(2)

to show that eqn 2 is true, let us add (k+1) to both sides of eqn 1
1+2+3+4+....+k+(k+1) = k(k+1)/2 + (k+1).............(3)
the job here is to make the R.H.S of eqn 3 look like that of eqn 2
taking l.c.m as 2
1+2+3+4+....+k+(k+1) = [k(k+1)+2(k+1)]/2
since (k+1) is a common factor in the R.H.S we factorize
1+2+3+4+....+k+(k+1) = (k+1)(k+2)/2

This is same as eqn 2 above, hence the statement 1+2+3+4+....n+(n+1) = n(n+1)/2 is true for all natural numbers.
grin
feel free to post more exercises.
u the bos man...can u solve dz, prove that 2>n=n for al positv in integax
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by eminemkayc: 10:53am On Jan 03, 2013
@ op, integrate sinx^2, now the variable 'x' is what is been squared not the function (sin)
also proof that if u(x) and v(x) are two functions of 'x', then Du(x)v(x) equals Udv(x)/dx + Vdu(x)/dx

also proof that Lim 2x+3 as 'x' approaches 3 equals 9

also, what is the cube root of unity (i.e 1)

proof the eccentricity 'e' of a hyperbola

Show that when a fluid flows throw a pipe, elevated 'z' above a datum line, then the head loss due to friction experienced within the pipe is given as hf = flQ^2/3d^5

Proof that if a user of a toyota camry of rim size R15, increases his tyre size to R16, there would be an increase in fluel consumption within the engine as a result of increas in torque 'T' transmitted to the front wheels, provided all things remain equal

use the volume of revolution principle to show that by revolvin a straight line y = r about the x - axis (between x =0 and x = h),we obtain the volume of a cylinder V = PI*r^2*h

cheers
Shadyrecords

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by igbeke: 10:57am On Jan 03, 2013
Eze Promoe: I LOVE THIS THREAD AND I'LL LOVE THE MATHS GURU TO SOLVE THIS EQUATION FOR ME!

A boy, X sleeped with my girlfriend, Y and produced 2 kids (2XY), using the onyonyo meter I saw that the pikins is not my own shildren. If Y is 22 years old and her name is Gracie
i)find X?
ii)find X's father, X^2
iii)can X beat me, Z if we fight?

Do that equation quick before i go gaga angry
dont go gaga bro, its quite easy.
just as ur girlfriend, Y.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by einsteine(m): 11:04am On Jan 03, 2013
Can any mathematician here solve this simple question:

You are about to play a dice game where you are paid 5 naira each time you roll an odd number. You are allowed to roll the dice five times. A friend tells you that the die used is biased such that even numbers are twice as likely to appear as odd numbers. Based on this information, what is the maximum amount you would pay to play this game?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by DAvIt0(m): 11:04am On Jan 03, 2013
@Richez welldone bro.. you Good
@EzePromoe looool see question
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by olasesi(m): 11:06am On Jan 03, 2013
find the SUM of the nth term of the sequence.........4+44+444+4444+44444+444444+......

it was given as an assignment for us back then in pre-degree........
.......only me got the answer to it .......i felt fulfilled then.........
........I HOPE THERE ARE OTHER PERSONS WHO CAN SOLVE IT.......

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by paranorman(m): 11:07am On Jan 03, 2013
igbeke:
maths is more challenging than stats.
although dey r both fun if u hav interest 4 dem.
dey used 2 be my favourites in my schl days. 12yrs after grad, d fun lingers.
so feel free, ask questions.
yeah,maths can b challengin than statistics,but statistics's more difilcult.. U ask y? This becos u apply maths in stat. In ur years in school,u'l v 2 take courses in pure maths;algebra,trigonometry,complex nö,linear algebra,numerical analysis,real analysis,calculus&diferential equatn(ordinary&partial),math modelin,computer programin...e.t.c.. I did al this n more when i was in school. Long live Unad!!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ehinafe: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2013
For those nairalanders Maths Gurus, can we go ahead and discuss more advanced mathematical issues?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Olamyyde(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2013
@op, If u claim to be so smart, i dont know if u studied maths, but when we go to advanced engineering maths(do u know what i mean), even an emeritus cant say he knows everytin.
My question:
1, -5, 37, 6, . . .(what is d next no)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Olubodef(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2013
Solve dis maths
ur x-bf won 2 million naira 2days afta u broke up wit him.......find x?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by bakenda(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2013
Richiez: This thread is the meeting point for nairaland maths gurus...i dare you all to ask me a question in mathematics without me having an answer to them, LETS START

Great mathematician, I hail o.
We have this little problem that has been bothering us
for sometime;

Take any positive integer n. If n is even, divide it by 2 to get n / 2. If n is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1 to obtain 3n + 1. Repeat the process.

For example let's take 6, an even number, 6/2 =3, 3 is odd so we multiply it by 3 and add 1 to obtain 10,
10/2=5, 5 is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1 to obtain 16, 16/2=8, 8/2=4, 4/2=2, 2/2=1.
We ended up with 1.

Now let's start with 3, an odd number,(3 * 3)+1 =10, 10/2=5, (5 * 3)+1 =16, 16/2=8, 8/2=4, 4/2=2, 2/2=1.
We also ended up with 1.

The problem is can you help us find a starting number that will not end up with 1
after going through the process. You can use a proof or something, or you can
give a mathematical proof that any starting number will always yield 1 in the end.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Tolzeal(m): 11:12am On Jan 03, 2013
paranorman:
yeah,maths can b challengin than statistics,but statistics's more difilcult.. U ask y? This becos u apply maths in stat. In ur years in school,u'l v 2 take courses in pure maths;algebra,trigonometry,complex nö,linear algebra,numerical analysis,real analysis,calculus&diferential equatn(ordinary&partial),math modelin,computer programin...e.t.c.. I did al this n more when i was in school. Long live Unad!!
bros,u studied statistics in sch!! Am a yung statistician, buh realy wana knw whr ma courxe myt tak me to in FUTURE!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tellwisdom: 11:13am On Jan 03, 2013
Where the fck is that braggart??...aren't these questions for you??
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ghettodreamz(m): 11:13am On Jan 03, 2013
Olubodef: Solve dis maths
ur x-bf won 2 million naira 2days afta u broke up wit him.......find x?

U don too chop bellefu this morning abi? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dabrake(m): 11:16am On Jan 03, 2013
@ op, show that 0/0 = 12
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ignis: 11:17am On Jan 03, 2013
Am a geologist, though mathematics was my best subject back in those days. I └♡̨̐√ƺ mathematics a lot. Am really learning.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by harbibi: 11:17am On Jan 03, 2013
Wow!!! Wonderful thread God bless d op (for this thread) and all d maths gurus here.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Chuks0485: 11:17am On Jan 03, 2013
(1)why is it dat in integration of say, dy/dx we separate dy/dx as dy=dx in order to perform our integration wer as d operator (d/dx) is inseperable?

(2)What is d proper definition of d term mathematics?

(3)What is a number?

(4)In mathematics, what is a point(.)?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ehinafe: 11:19am On Jan 03, 2013
CohenJane:

Let us accommodate everyone. Or may be a separate thread for what you suggest. But let me say that we aren't mathematicians here, except if you had a Phd in mathematics and you have had your work published in at least 3 journals, that's when you are regarded as a mathematician. Gbam

Can we solve some 3rd order differentials as it's applicable to real-life problems?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by back2sender: 11:20am On Jan 03, 2013
This is the kind of thread we want to see. At least there will be sanity here and not throwing of darts
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 1stknight(m): 11:20am On Jan 03, 2013
solomon111: The fifth equation follows the principle/laws of logarithm.
E.g
1)logx +logy =logxy
2)alogx +blogy=ablogxy.
3)logx-logy=logx/logy

Ok thanks, your 2nd equation just help
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by adegbitown: 11:27am On Jan 03, 2013
Hey guys,let's nt wait for Richez(OP). Lay ur hands on any of these questions and post the solutn as thread may get boring if we dont.The questns are getting much.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by paranorman(m): 11:31am On Jan 03, 2013
Tolzeal: bros,u studied statistics in sch!! Am a yung statistician, buh realy wana knw whr ma courxe myt tak me to in FUTURE!
endless bro,endless!
Anywhere statististics is applicable. Verily,verily i say unto u,al that thou will b taught in school wil b theory. Develope urself,get acquinted wit varieties of advanced statistics textbooks 4 business students,it'l b a plus 4 ya.. Nevr shy away from maths electives,esp d ones that'l help ya.. Get acquinted with statistical application softwares,start now! U're worth more to d country than u think... Develope/improve urself... Don't realy on ur lecturers. Workhard!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by eddiegracia(m): 11:33am On Jan 03, 2013
Prove that 7/2 = 5... In whatever way u can or even use any formular u can...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by 1stknight(m): 11:39am On Jan 03, 2013
dabrake: @ op, show that 0/0 = 12

I believe that your equation is logically correct, if 0/0=c no matter the value of c you will still get the same answer. Therefore, 0/0 does not mean any particular number - or even anything until we give it some new meaning. And you my brother gave the value to be 12 and bro I can as well as you to cross multiply to make 0=0.
Bottom line is 0/0 is nothing

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Philipschasis(m): 11:39am On Jan 03, 2013
This thread is becoming boring just cause y'all depending and waiting on Richiez... Let's see some volunteers, tell us the courses you are well versed on so we can ask you questions....

You can ask me questions on Real Analysis and Complex Analysis.. If I can, I'll answer straight up, but if I can't , I'll ignore grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by xynerise: 11:40am On Jan 03, 2013
@poster. This may sound funny but its maths.

Prove that 4 cabin biscuit is equal to 1 Akara. cool
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ayurdavid: 11:43am On Jan 03, 2013
Oga richiez, where u dey? Omo wa ise, o ri ise.
Abi u don tear race? lol
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tobnical(m): 11:46am On Jan 03, 2013
You hav tried. As a math guru, u shld b used 2 algorithm and flow chart.
write an algorithm for the solution to the quadratic equation
y= ax^2+ bx + c
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Tolzeal(m): 11:46am On Jan 03, 2013
paranorman:
endless bro,endless!
Anywhere statististics is applicable. Verily,verily i say unto u,al that thou will b taught in school wil b theory. Develope urself,get acquinted wit varieties of advanced statistics textbooks 4 business students,it'l b a plus 4 ya.. Nevr shy away from maths electives,esp d ones that'l help ya.. Get acquinted with statistical application softwares,start now! U're worth more to d country than u think... Develope/improve urself... Don't realy on ur lecturers. Workhard!
thanks bro.pls is ther any way of getting in touch with u.,mayb fb id,2go, thanks so Much!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.