Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,098 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:52 AM

Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? (8568 Views)

My Manhood Has Stopped Working. / TRANSFORMATION: Obama Explains Why He Stopped Smoking / My Nephew Has Autism, How Do We Manage It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 2:31am On Jan 01, 2013
Were you a smoker? Have you stopped Smoking? How long now and how did you manage to succeed?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by deviduff(m): 8:41am On Jan 01, 2013
Started smoking 2001. Stopped december 2nd, 2009. Haven't smoked till now. Then I was averaging 2 packs a day. Funny thing is I didn't even plan 2 stop. I jst wanted 2 try not smoking 4 a full day. From there, I decided 2 do 1 week. After d week, I was experiencing serious withdrawal syndromes but I continued. Stopped drinkin that period and avoided bars and spicy foods. But in all,I always begged God to help me never go back. 3 years now and counting wen every1 said I couldn't do witout smokin 4 a day

16 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by dominique(f): 12:40pm On Jan 01, 2013
^^^
good for you smiley
bad for the tobacco industry tongue

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 7:52pm On Jan 05, 2013
Men, u are strongwilled! i started smoking about the same time as u (tho i av made it a point neva to go beyond 10sticks\day(to ease my consience)).I have tried quiting about a thousand times but av failed about the same number of time.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by GADDAFI2971: 5:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
Guess what? I made up my my mind first, the i called on God to help me.The next day, i lost all urge to smoke.I stayed away from smoking friends for about two days and after that i could stay with em without recognising that they are e ven smoking. Go for a test and the result will als scare you into quitting. But God will help you more.I am not even born again

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by deviduff(m): 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
GADDAFI2971: Guess what? I made up my my mind first, the i called on God to help me.The next day, i lost all urge to smoke.I stayed away from smoking friends for about two days and after that i could stay with em without recognising that they are e ven smoking. Go for a test and the result will als scare you into quitting. But God will help you more.I am not even born again

Just continue. Doesn't harm 2 becom born again too. And don't bother 2 take one drag. That will destroy ur efforts. Stay away from smokers

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by donguutti: 1:27am On Jan 12, 2013
Very difficult, for me i was drawn to the aroma of menthol,started very early and at my smoking peak was doing 1 pack a day.
quit in 2010.quitting was hell for me.The day i decided to stop, i bought 15 packs of cigarettes and decided to smoke them
all in a day till i became disgusted with smoking.it worked but withdrawal symptoms were overcome by lots if vicks sweets.(menthol)
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 10:31am On Jan 12, 2013
Nice 1 donguuti, you method was quite extreme buh atleast it worked for ya. i ll try the vicks thing cos i also do menthol, hope it works for me.

This is day 11 for me.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 12:02am On Jan 14, 2013
chaircover:

Well done . . . . .keep it up

Thanks Bro.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 12:09am On Jan 14, 2013
It's good to read other people's efforts to quit the deadly habit. Smoked for 18 years stopping for 9 months during the period (that was 6 years ago). Thank goodness I've quit for good now and it's 4 weeks today grin grin
I know it's early but God forbid I invest my money and body in that lifestyle of absolutely no gain anymore.

From my experience, if you develop the habit and then quit, staying off tobacco needs to become for you a continuous conscious action. Agreed it gets easier with time but you're still vulnerable (even if slightly) to picking it up again so guard your non-smoking status actively, and don't believe you're infallible and begin to tread dangerously or hang around those places where your mind will easily deceive you again.

My little advice for anyone wanting to quit is win that battle with yourself first, and CONCLUDE that you truly NEED to stop - it's the 1st step.
As for me I shall continue to develop my new habit of notsmoking

6 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 12:38am On Jan 14, 2013
Nice post 1forall, i think there is where my problem lies. I want to quit just cos of the negative impact smoking has on my health.

Other than that i REALLY DO LIKE SMOKING. i think i have to get to that place where i av to ABHORE the habbit before i can truely be successful.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 12:39am On Jan 14, 2013
Nice post 1forall, i think there is where my problem lies. I want to quit just cos of the negative impact smoking has on my health.

Other than that i REALLY DO LIKE SMOKING. i think i have to get to that place where i av to ABHORE the habbit before i can truely be successful.
Thanks again bro.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by baby124: 12:50am On Jan 14, 2013
Nice post. Not a smoker but I know someone that needs help.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 14, 2013
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 7:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
knockturnal: Nice post 1forall, i think there is where my problem lies. I want to quit just cos of the negative impact smoking has on my health.

How long have you smoked?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 12:15am On Jan 15, 2013
1forall:

How long have you smoked?

Started smoking recreationally in 2001, but i became dependent around 2005. I smoke about 5 to 10 sticks a day (the number increasing till last year).

*eager for your reply*
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 8:26am On Jan 15, 2013
Will reply tonight..
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by 1forall: 12:20am On Jan 16, 2013
That's long enough for it to be a challenge to quit. Well when you've made the decision start to feed your mind with anti-smoking information. Find out more about Allen Carr, his stories and methods.

Allen Carr was a British author of books about quitting smoking and other psychological dependencies including alcohol addiction. He quit smoking after 33 years as a 100 sticks/day chain smoker. - Wikipedia

Read about several others who have overcome the habit, there are lots of them on youtube - everyone has their own theory or method/trick/explanation to quitting and you should find one that would appeal to your senses. If you have to watch scary hospital lab videos to appreciate the damage you're doing to yourself by yourself then do it - remember you need to conclude that you've had enough before all this so you don't waste your effort.

One of the videos that helped me appreciate the damage smoking does was one of two lungs side by side, one belonging to a smoker, and the other a non-smoker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glFau9ORAY

The black coating is the tar in cigarettes, it's the same tar used on road surfaces and is cumulatively deposited in/on the lungs and there's no way such lungs can function normally. How can they when they say there are over 4000 chemicals in a cigarette, 69 of which are known to cause cancer - Click here for more on that

I did a list of positives and negatives of smoking and couldn't find anything to write in the positive column, na so so negatives like: serious danger to health, general social stigma, offensive smell, waste of money, addiction (yes, addicition) to nicotine. See technically (and medically), there's no difference between a tobacco user and a 'junkie'. See in the attached image from wikipedia the only drugs more addictive than tobacco are cocaine and heroin.

Continually expose your mind to this kind of information in combination with your conclusion to quit to lead you to your own personal exit from the smoking highway to death.

PS: I am not trying to scare you or make you feel bad, I just don't know how to make a bad thing sound nice. Note I'm still working on myself daily too to ensure I don't fall. Good luck!

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by bibiking1(m): 12:56am On Jan 16, 2013
Been smoking since 2000 and honestly i have given up on conscious quitting. Nothing even scares me anymore, i watched that video and i felt like a cigarette! I really need to stop but i know it won't just happen overnight.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2013
Like i said earlier i am really concerned about the health risk of smoking. I ll try and get as much information as i can on the hazards of smoking. Hoping it ll dampen any urge i might have to revisit that debilitating habit.
Thanks 1.4.all.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 7:20am On Jan 16, 2013
Day 15.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by overdrive(m): 9:58am On Jan 16, 2013
@poster seems we quit on the same day,it isn't easy but with prayers one will triumph. I avoid alcohol and rarely visit joints where d temptation is high for now.keep it up bro
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by knockturnal(m): 1:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
Thanks Overdrive, i av also relocated quite far away from my 'smoking partner'. We were neighbours and we met and smoked together on a daily basis last year, but since the move i av only sat out with hm about thrice dis year.
still tryna convince him to join me in quiting.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by sayso: 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2013
in those days,pure water was the same price with Benson and Hedges and others so it was very easy to substitute.
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by kingsceemark(m): 2:22pm On Jan 17, 2013
I smoke 2 sticks everyday, i don't see myself as a smoker. What do you think guys grin
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
undecided
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by GOZILLA(m): 2:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
This one wey una dey talk make we no visit bars or clubs. I don't smoke outside but in the comfort of my home. Does it mean that I shouldn't go home?
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Nuzo1(m): 2:35pm On Jan 17, 2013
Mine was more of a miracle than will power.

I quit on the 11th of December 2011. I also quit a lot of things that same day. It was sudden and unexpected.

Most of my friends still think I smoke secretly. grin
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by mikijagga(m): 2:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
Started smoking in 1994 and stopped in 1999 just before my NYSC callup. When we got to camp, I got entangled with this sweet looking babe, and one night at Mami market, we ordered drinks, and she pulled out a packet of BH. Before I knew what was happening, I started again and this time, I increased number of sticks from about 10 to 1 pckt. I tried severally afterwards until my birthday morning in 2002. I remember praying that morning for God to help me, and I took the 4 stick remaining in the Rothmans packet and shred it to pieces. From then till now I am grateful to God for that deliverance.

For the hopefuls, the question you ask yourself is " what honestly do i derive from this stick that i light fire on and inhale the Carbon Mono oxide contained in the smoke?"

So many people smoke because of the friends they keep and then to fulfil a seeming social staus. So many others also give reasons like depression.

You just need to be honest with yourself and tell yourself you can do it. Wish you luck.

2 Likes

Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Basic(m): 2:40pm On Jan 17, 2013
If you're finding it hard to quit smoking, this article will help you (but you must be ready to implement, not just read!): http://vitalhealthinfo.com/finding-it-hard-to-quit-smoking-tips-quit-smoking-forever/
Re: Stopped Smoking? How Did You Manage It? by Lawconfessor(f): 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
GOZILLA: This one wey una dey talk make we no visit bars or clubs. I don't smoke outside but in the comfort of my home. Does it mean that I shouldn't go home?
Lmao. Just don't go home

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make A Smoothie : 10 Healthy Smoothies For Breakfast / Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister / Yaba Psychiatric Doctors' Strike Enters Fourth Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.