Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:33 AM

Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators (590 Views)

Metuh Has No Right To Announce Date Of PDP Convention — Okupe / CNN Fire Jim Clancy For Calling Out Isreal. / Traffic Gridlock As Jonathan Attends RCCG Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by MajeOfficial: 11:47am On Jan 01, 2013
First and foremost one thing has to be understood: Nairaland is a company
Every company has a brand and a reputation.

If you ask anyone, it's unanimous that Nairaland's reputation is one of tribalism. The only reason other Nigerian forums are growing is because Nairaland has turned off many Nigerians as this is our first depot. Most importantly, when companies want to buy ad space they consider the type of brand each site they buy ad space from has. They seldom want their product associated with tribalism because there's a risk of turning off people from one tribe or another.

Nairaland is like Nigeria. Everyone wants to invest because the activity is high and the numbers are high, but nobody wants to be entrenched or associated with corruption, hate, bombings, and disorder. The companies that buy adspace here don't keep it for over a month, not because of price because the price is fair, but because they're not getting clicked on if everyone comes here just to be an ethnic bigot or has to quickly check the news and leave because someone makes them angry.

Companies that invest in nigeria are assumed to be corrupt as well because that's the brand Nigeria has, corruption.
This site's brand is tribalism

If you tell someone you own an oil company in Nigeria people in the west will assume you're a manipulator of the poor and corrupt because that's the brand Nigeria has. People that want their reputation intact won't invest in something that isn't reputable and in modern business your brand and reputation is EVERYTHING.

Companies also pay attention to the feel of a site. If people feel angry with your site, studies have shown they will associate the ads and the companies they represent in anger. This is modern business, it's deeply fused with the study of psychology.

To put it simply. If i want to advertise make up, i go to Nairaland after hearing about the number of users, and i see on the front page "Igbo cannibals at it again" "Yoruba pastor MOLESTS children", i'm not going to associate my makeup with such hideous things because i know people can only come to such a site to be hateful, not to be happy enough to consider buying makeup.

This is why Nairaland's numbers and clout aren't translating into direct figures in the way they could. This is 8th most popular website for nigerians in the world, and the #1 most popular indigenous website. But you took a 17% drop in ratings where sites like g.istmania took increased 25% in the same time for traffic ratings. go to Alexa.com if you don't believe me.

Tribalism is bad for business. It will attract people, but not money. It's like a car accident. Everyone will gather, but they're not coming there to buy anything. It's in fact the last place they will consider buying something because of how the area makes them feel.

I know this because I am a business man that was interested in buying ad space from Nairaland, and I still am. The problem is I don't want my site officially linked with something this tribalistic. I advertise informally all the time but it's in select non-tribalist areas, i dont want to see my logo hanging over anything concerning child molesters and cannibals.

Call to action

You guys should have 0 tolerance on tribalism. This site has turned into a joke. and not 0 tolerance as in picking a side, but any and everyone degrading the value of your site should be ban and their posts deleted. I'm going to form a committee to report abusive people actively and would like the help of the political section moderators. We should have a section of ethnic hatred because Facebook doesn't have a section for racism.

ban offenders, delete tribalistic posts. Set limits on what can be discussed. We all know what happened in Biafra and we all know where the conversation will go. If you don't want your site associated with the biafran war it shouldn't be allowed to have 10 threads about it in your political section. Forums in other countries block particular discussions so that the site doesn't turn into a car accident. We need more action from moderators for 2013 on. The sensible posters are tired of having erratic hatemongers dominate our image.
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by MajeOfficial: 11:54am On Jan 01, 2013
And by 'companies' i mean serious ones. You get the random new comers and short term thinkers but they won't keep their ad on for too long because they're short term thinkers and aren't as serious as others. who are these others? companies with brand management, HR, and public relations departments, serious enterprises that make long term decisions and care about reputation. the modern company.

Iroko TV, which gets less visitors then Nairaland, has Oprah advertising on their site. Pepsi, real companies that aren't going to try to negotiate ad price with you, because Iroko isn't associated with anything other than entertainment. The companies that buy ad space here stay for a month tops because they're learning the hard way that you can't attach your company to a car wreck and expect returns. This site has the potential to be Africa's FB.
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Noiseless2: 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2013
The owner of this site and his moderators are bunch of bloody bigots,and it gives them pleasure even when they pretend to be normal, in fact they were born and raised in a bigotry culture.

1 Like

Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Afam4eva(m): 12:49pm On Jan 01, 2013
This new year will present the much desired change as i will be that moderator that will rid the politics section of any sort of tribalism and hate. never again will Nairaland be seen with ethnic myopia.

Afam bu Afam
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Dede1(m): 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
I laugh when people stick their heads in the sand and spew crap about tribalism or the need to end tribalism in Nigeria without agitating the need to end the country as configured. Nigeria is another name for tribalism. People should quit being delusional about the talk of getting rid of tribalism in Nigeria.

Federal character, quota system and zone are all products of inherent tribalism in Nigeria. It is humanly impossible to ask a person born and bred as Yoruba to accept Igbo or Fulani or Hausa or Ibibio or Ijo or Tiv etc as Yoruba and vis-à-vis.
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Gboliwe: 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
afam4eva: This new year will present the much desired change as i will be that moderator that will rid the politics section of any sort of tribalism and hate. never again will Nairaland be seen with ethnic myopia.

Afam bu Afam
Go! Go! Go!
May your good dreams come through. The tribalists should be shown the way out. Deal with them like maclatunji is dealing with non-muslims in that section. Go!
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by MajeOfficial: 6:20pm On Jan 01, 2013
afam4eva: This new year will present the much desired change as i will be that moderator that will rid the politics section of any sort of tribalism and hate. never again will Nairaland be seen with ethnic myopia.

Afam bu Afam

Congratulations on your new position! You're in a good place to make a difference. Don't be a typical nigerian leader, believe it or not moderating for this site is nationally important because the internet it the most powerful thing around now, and when you google Nigeria 9 or of 10 times a nairaland topic will come up!

We're tired of looking like fools and being disgraced but those among us that are hateful and repetitive! I'm glad to see you're focused on making a difference. Please show that the Nigerian man can be a leader and not just a position holder.
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by tpia5: 6:25pm On Jan 01, 2013
Enough of these nonsensical peace threads, the level of joblessness is just too much around here.

I blame the powers that be for not providing proper jobs for people.
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by GARRIx7(m): 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2013

Afam bu Afam

Quit this baseless "Chest-Beating" and noise making. Let ur actions speak for you..

cool

4 Likes

Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by MajeOfficial: 7:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
^I agree as well! Congratulations but even as we speak the tribal bigots are on the prowl! the job has started, there's no grace period, people are waiting to see what your moderator-ship means
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Igwe9(m): 9:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Quit this baseless "Chest-Beating" and noise making. Let ur actions speak for you..

cool
Lol cheesy Afam, over to you
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by GARRIx7(m): 9:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
Igwe.:

Lol cheesy Afam, over to you

undecided
Re: Peace Convention: Calling Out To Moderators by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 01, 2013

Afam bu Afam

Congratulations. I must warn though, Nigeria is not one easy nut to crack. Approach it with wisdom because you are the son of the soil. Be neutral and do your own bit but ignore those who call you a bigot. They do not even know what it means to be a bigot.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Chime Discharged And Will Return This January. / 2015 Elections: Buhari Can’t Win, The Merger Won’t Work – Presidency / Breaking News: Boko Haram Faction Declares Seize Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.